• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I've been trying to will this game into existence using only my mind for a long time now to no avail, so maybe if I put in here, other people can direct their mental energy towards it and we can make it happen. The Turtles are long overdue a quality gaming experience and Netherrealm's work with them in Injustice 2 makes them - in my opinion - the perfect developer to tackle a new entry (or reboot) of the Tournament Fighters series. Feel free to agree/disagree/add suggestions. The more people talking about my favorite franchise, the better! So, on to my particular dream scenario...

Developer: Netherrealm Studios

I'm hardly a fighting game systems expert, so I'd basically lift the MK11 gameplay and gear system whole cloth. Two offense bars, two defense bars, and a "fatal blow" equivalent. One difference would be the removal of any kind of stance variants, augments or consumables, as they only confuse things and add needless busywork. I doubt this would get a Mortal Kombat budget, so the simpler the better, right?

Modes
Story Mode
Arcade Ladders
Online Versus
Tournament
The Sewer Lair (aka The Krypt) - The lair would provide cosmetic unlocks, like skins, and decorative items to customize the look how the player sees fit.

Cast
Usually these games launch with about 20 characters and add more later. Fortunately, there are dozens of radical choices! (Apologies for the varying image sizes.)

Leonardo - Leads. Wears blue. Fights with katana.
TMNTLeo2012.png

Michelangelo - Party dude. Wears orange. Fights with nunchaku.
TMNTMichelangelo2012.png

Donatello - Does machines. Wears purple. Fights with a bo staff.
TMNTDonatello2012.png

Raphael - Cool, but rude. Wears red. Fights with sai.
TMNTRaphael2012.png

Splinter - The rat sensei.
Splinter08.jpg

April - Became a kunoichi in the 2012 series. Would love to see that interpretation here as well.
April_O%27Neil_1987.jpg

Shredder - Leader of the Foot Clan and expert in coleslaw preparation.
TMNTShredderComic.jpg

Bebop - Big stupid warthog.
latest

Rocksteady - Bigger, stupider rhino.

Metalhead - Robot turtle designed by Donnie.
metalhead-comics-idw-2011.jpg

The Rat King - Mentally commands swarms of rats.

Baxter Stockman - We'll go with the fly version for the fighter, but I'm sure he could chuck some mousers as well.

Krang - Brain thingie that lives in the stomach of an incredibly sexy robot man.
71-v8c1r5%2BL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Casey Jones - Instructor of Pain 101. Fights with lots of things, up to and including cricket bats.
Caseyjones-tmnt10.jpg

Karai - Second-in-command of the Foot. Possibly Shredder's daughter.
Karai_TMNT_IDW.png

Fugitoid - Time-traveling robot from the future.

Agent Bishop - Cyborg anti-mutant government agent.

Triceraton - A big species of space triceratops. The 2012 series had a General Zog that was voiced by Michael Dorn, I think.
latest

Leatherhead - Big ol' crocodilly.
Leatherhead_%28Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_character%29.png

Renet - Impulsive time wizard that whisks the turtles off to the Battle Nexus tournament.

Possible DLC characters:
Slash - Giant snapping turtle and leader of the Mutanimals.
slashmunchkin.jpg

Mondo Gecko - Skateboarding punk gecko.
ddf5fvv-74031531-bcee-4415-8264-07460a895e31.jpg

Armaggon - Space bounty hunter. Also a shark.
f69fc9619597ac2d0c30dfa4b717d31e.jpg

Jennika - Former member of the Foot, turned fifth ninja turtle when Leo saves her with a blood transfusion.
2019.07.17-05.57-boundingintocomics-5d2f61a27ad88.png

Alopex - Fox/assassin-for-hire.
latest

Hun - Leader of the Purple Dragons gang.

Guest characters:
Batman - Gotta get those sales.
Batman_%28circa_2020%29.png

Miyamoto Usagi - Samurai rabbit. Frequent ally.
usagi-yojimbo.jpg

"But we need microtransactions!" scream the corpo overlords. "How will we keep plying money from their hands?"

Well, aside from the addition of more characters, there's the potential for skin packs and new levels. For example, a "Mirage 1984" pack would include black and white skins with all-red masks for the turtles, along with a new stage modeled after the artstyle. We could follow suit with a "Cartoon 1987" pack, a "Movie 1990" pack, etc.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope to hear yours as well.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I though you would say:
Splinter - Taught them to be ninja teens.
LoL

Anyways, all is covered, the End Boss should be TECHNODROM itself.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Was thinking about this earlier this week, the only wish I have for the game is for it to be based on the IDW comics instead of creating their own world.

And tbh, everything should be based on the IDW world lol, not trying to limit creativity, I just don't think it can be topped.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
The only way you get a sequel to an old ass fighting game like this is its made by a smaller dev taking the Battle for the Grid route. TMNT characters are just better used as guest characters in modern fighting games like Injustice 2, I don't think they can really carry a AAA fighting game. If anything, a Steam port of Tournament Fighters with rollback would be an interesting experiment.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Would actually love a fighting game based around the battle nexus tournament. Felt like a huge missed opportunity as they straight up avoided attempting a fighter and kept making side scrolling brawlers...but far, far shittier than the first 4 that were made. I guess they sold since they got sequels but god those were some disappointing games.

Oct 27, 2017
While the 2012 series was airing and I was buying my oldest the action figures, I had this awesome idea of a GaaS TMNT fighter that would have come out between seasons with the base game including the cast of the previous season(s) (depending on when it came out). Then at the lead up to the next season of the show, you'd have the opportunity to buy a season pass that'd net you new characters, skins, stages and mobs (for horde modes) after each of their respective episodes aired.

I imagined skins would be free for all, but if it included new weapons/moves, that'd be part of the paid package. For example, everyone would get vision quest skins for the turtles after the episode aired, but if you wanted the new moveset based on their new weapons, you could buy them individually, as a bundle or the forementioned season pass. I had a lot of time thinking about this while playing with the action figures haha.

I want it to happen with a rebooted Thundercats show I'm trying to will into existence.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I'd love if they did a 90's cartoon tournament. Add street sharks, biker mice, battletoads and bubsy (so we can beat his ass) as DLC!

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Add also Pizza Monstees,Mona Lisa and REX-1 and stick to Raphael original character design

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Was thinking about this earlier this week, the only wish I have for the game is for it to be based on the IDW comics instead of creating their own world.

And tbh, everything should be based on the IDW world lol, not trying to limit creativity, I just don't think it can be topped.
Are they that good? They recently got published in Spain and im quite tempted. The edition itself is atrocious and Im still dubious about if ill like the saga or not. Im a fan of the 2003 animated run and the comics seems grittier than it.

(Also, i've grown with the color mask turtles and its very strange to watch them all wear red)

Oct 27, 2017
Are they that good? They recently got published in Spain and im quite tempted. The edition itself is atrocious and Im still dubious about if ill like the saga or not. Im a fan of the 2003 animated run and the comics seems grittier than it.

(Also, i've grown with the color mask turtles and its very strange to watch them all wear red)
If they're talking about the new IDW run, they have their colors and the stories are quite great.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017

Any fan of the 2003 animated show should read the comics imo, it always felt like it was channeling the same energy as that show,

Also it grittier by just a lil bit, not like it's trying to be edgy or over the top.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
So you want to take this dynamic japanese fighting game from Konami and make a sequel with an american dev that make clunky and sluggish fgs?

Let ASW or French Bread do this game instead lol. Also put Venus AND Jennika, want to see how they interact with each other haha.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd take this over the Horror Movie Villain crossover people want. OP Roster is pretty solid.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
If it got to a second season pass, I'd love to see the Turtles from the future:
1172696-2ll.jpg

One thing I prefered about the Genesis version of the first game was how it really looked and felt more like all the wacky cosmic shit from the comics rather than just the cartoon again. The Archie comics in particular. I'm pretty sure that panel is from the Archie comics whose universe is a distinct one from the original. I'd just settle for any TMNT game based on that, regardless if it's a fighter or not.

IIRC the Archie TMNT even had them trashing a group of Power Rangers expys at some point, lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wrong superhero; replace Batman with Daredevil and its supporting cast.

Also perhaps throw in a Foot Soldier as a (joke?) character.

Haven't read it (probably should remedy that), but having read IDW's 2012 - 2019 Transformers run, I believe you. MTMTE in particular elevates TF comics to heights I (and probably everyone else) could have never thought possible.

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Solid ass roster OP--I just ask, like everyone else, Rahzar and Tokka be included.

Also Super Shredder is a must--preferably Akuma style, as seen in Turtles in Time and Mutants in Manhattan.

As opposed to boring Hulk style.

c7c03701e39cab33a849f40434f9a1e9.jpg

Also, Blanka-ball style Slash please.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
With multiple skins would be pretty cool. Though I guess it might be a bit harder with the most recent shows having very different body types per Turtle.

OP
OP
Genesius

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I definitely thought about Tokka and Rahzar, but picked Slash over Tokka.

I also thought about Venus as well, but Jennika doesn't need a redesign lol

Main reason I chose Batman is that Netherrealm is making my version. I agree that DD would be a more fitting choice.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
A second TMNT fighting game exists, actually. But it's a SSB clone for Wii :P Never played it, I wonder if it was any good.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
It should absolutely be based on the IDW series. Pretty much any character worthwhile has a version in the IDW adaptation at this point, plus new great ones like Alopex and Old Hob.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Cudley the Cowlick or bust!

I agree, but I'd cut down on the robots. Slash needs to be a main roster fighter, for sure. Give Ray Fillet a DLC slot or something. Give Batman a Wingnut and Screwloose outfit.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Too many recognizable characters this isn't following in the spirit of TMNT Tournament Fighters