• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
21740938_1138658816270089_3939526055067610821_o.jpg

Some peeps at the SRK forums have been posting progress on these SNES TMNT Tournament Fighters hacks they've been working on for a while and they are impressive.

First one they have already done work for is a mod that doesn't change the core gameplay but adds a couple of tournament friendly QoL features and a whole slew of new palette colours. Original game had 2 for each of the 12 characters but so far they got 11 colours for each characters for a total of 132 different palettes! All of them are references and homages to all the different TMNT adaptations and other stuff.

0c38f35cde.png

I believe this is the latest version of this patch

They plan to add new characters and rebalance the game in the future too:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters: Championship Edition - Vanilla TMNT TF gameplay with lots of quality of life upgrades, 10 characters total. (Karai and Rat King OP and banned).
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Super Tournament Fighters: Reshelled (or some other punny name) - TMNT TF with rebalancing, 12 characters total (Karai and Rat King rebalanced).
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyper Tournament Fighters: Punny name pending - New balance changes while leaving STF as it was, new story, 21 characters total (MegaDrive/Genesis cast: Krang, Casey, April, Zorax/Triceraton, Ray Fillet, Sisyphus - NES Cast: Hothead, Mona Lisa using NES Turtles moveset, and a brand new character tied into the new story)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ??? Tournament Fighters: Yet another punny name involving newer challengers - New balance changes while leaving HTF as it was, 22+ characters total (however many I can make before I run out of space / ideas / manpower / C&D'd / whatever)

Here is their Twitter where they post links to streams and events.

MogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing this as a kid and going "man the shark sucks".

Little did I know lol.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
They also have an awesome discord I've been hanging out in recently. Sailor Moon Super S players were there, and they are expanding the discussion to pretty much every SNES fighter.

https://discord.gg/N8v2ZEJ

Also Rat King and Karai are banned, and only three stages are tournament legal (the stages all have different widths outside of those three).

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I peeped progress on this every so often, but fell off, after awhile.

Glad to see things are still moving along well!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Awesome game.

Always wondered, are Aska, Wingnut, Armaggon, and War in any other Turtles stuff?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The NES version has one of the best soundtrack on the system (alongside Journey to Silius and Batman).

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering how they're going to hack in all the MD characters. It'll be impressive once they get there.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
Had no idea this is a thing. Very cool. Wish they could add Bebop and Rocksteady somehow.

Always wondered, are Aska, Wingnut, Armaggon, and War in any other Turtles stuff?

Wingnut (and his mosquito friend Screwloose) was a figure and was in the Archie comics... don't know if he was in the show.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty dope.

There's some pretty good high level play out there.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Awesome game.

To elaborate on the above, Wingnut, Armaggon and War have been figures, as well as recurring characters in the Archie run.

Aska, on the other hand, was an original creation for TMNT: TF created by Konami!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took me 20 years to realize Aska was heavily modified for the American release. She used to have bouncing breasts, have winning poses that were a tease and showed some ass even! I assume this fan mod put that back in?

johnhandy

Oct 29, 2017
Do any of the mods let you press up/down to go from bottom/top rows on the character selection screen? Left/Right only always seemed to be a weird design decision of that UI.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibility impressive what people can add to games with such small memory constraints to begin with.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Whoa, I was just thinking about this game earlier today...my favorite console-only fighter of that era given how hard it was to get someone to play Weaponlord.

Wonder if Team Spooky is going to get back into streaming this as TMNT: TF tourneys were the first I had heard of them.

Hopefully this works on an Everdrive so I can try this out when I get one later this year.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I played this a lot and somehow never noticed Casey wasnt in it? What the shit?

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of the few games that I got with my SNES, and one of the first games i've ever played. Wish this would get HD remastered to current gen consoles.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, I was just thinking about this game earlier today...my favorite console-only fighter of that era given how hard it was to get someone to play Weaponlord.

Wonder if Team Spooky is going to get back into streaming this as TMNT: TF tourneys were the first I had heard of them.

Hopefully this works on an Everdrive so I can try this out when I get one later this year.

It works on a SNES classic of all things so who knows.

Jigu

Oct 25, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, BR
I didn't remember this game had a character named "Karai". This is particularly funny for Portuguese speakers, maybe Spanish speakers too.

For non-speakers, it's this close to someone trying to sneak out of saying "caralho / carajo", meaning "dick".

Azar

Oct 25, 2017
SFCA
Holy shit, I can't imagine a much deeper cut than adding characters to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters. That's amazing.

I got the Genesis version for my birthday one year and it was a piece of crap. I was so sad.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
This is awesome. I wonder if they need any more artist to work on converting those NES characters over.

Streetwize

Jan 5, 2019
Hello everyone. TF big brain and lead tester for Super Tournament Fighters here. Sorry for the necropost, but we didn't find out about this until yesterday. I'll be going over a few things about the hack as well as answer some posts here to make this hopefully worthwhile.

First off, while it would be nice to touch as many bases as possible within the fandom, we have limits for who can be on the roster. Enigami stated that any media after 1996 is off the table. No Venus de Milo thankfully, and certainly nothing from the two or three series after the original. The project's scope will only cover the time period of said show. There was a bit of discussion because of one character in particular, but those that crossed over into TMNT aren't eligible either sadly regardless even if they did so back then.
We will not be touching the mechanics much in terms of expansion. The TO at the AnimEVO tourney tried to make it seem like we were adding some sort of comeback gimmick like X-Factor, but that isn't true. The core game stays mostly intact and the main focus is on content and balance.

I'm wondering how they're going to hack in all the MD characters. It'll be impressive once they get there.
I think they're rebuilding them from scratch.
Yes we are. Considering that version's cut corners, we'll definitely be taking some creative liberties to expand them to work in a four-button game. It is in our interest to maintain the SNES artstyle while keeping their core gameplay intact. Don't expect us to keep what was broken though. ;)

Not sure how I feel about adding characters, but a rebalance is more than welcome.
People thought balance changes were already made in CE funny enough. As you can see in the original post though, "Super" was going to satisfy what you wanted. Plans have changed unfortunately and Super is now what Hyper used to be.

It took me 20 years to realize Aska was heavily modified for the American release. She used to have bouncing breasts, have winning poses that were a tease and showed some ass even! I assume this fan mod put that back in?
JP Aska is the biggest request for the hack. We haven't done so yet, but we will. What you said is slightly backwards though. Aska was indeed censored, but technically Mutant Warriors was released three months after Tournament Fighters in the US. Someone found out she got some fixes in that version anyway, so she might more or less be ported. Features found only in that version are going to be brought over too.

Do any of the mods let you press up/down to go from bottom/top rows on the character selection screen? Left/Right only always seemed to be a weird design decision of that UI.
I assume you probably played it by now, but I'll answer anyway. Yes. Even the main menu works like it should. Judging from the beta, I guess the team didn't bother reworking the UI when it was made more appealing.

It's incredibility impressive what people can add to games with such small memory constraints to begin with.
While the QoL changes managed to fit, the ROM size needed to be expanded to 4MB for the extra palettes since that required some rework. Konami already compressed a lot just to make the game fit.

fuck the Raph - Chrome Dome match up.
Rest assured that will be fixed, and please don't blame Chrome Dome. It will also make fighting Armaggon a little more fair despite Leo being fairly decent against him.

I reckon they should do a version of the hack that'll fit on a 32 Meg SNES cart.
Technically we're already doing so since the ROM was expanded for the colors, but who knows? Only time will tell how much of the new space we need, or if we need even more. This extra space was part of the bigger plan anyway.

Holy shit, I can't imagine a much deeper cut than adding characters to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters. That's amazing.

I got the Genesis version for my birthday one year and it was a piece of crap. I was so sad.
I know how you feel. It was the first game my brothers put into our Genesis, but nostalgia masked how much of a mess it was. I spent a good amount of time looking into that disaster again recently for the sake of the hack. Just wait and see who we're going to add.

This is awesome. I wonder if they need any more artist to work on converting those NES characters over.
If you're still interested, hit me up and I'll get you in touch with Enigami. We could always use some extra help with sprites!

As far as progress goes, it's slow right now. Enigami has been busy with life and is working on other things that'll help development down the line. If you guys have any other questions please feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability.
You can drop by on the Discord and grab 1.03 in the #tmnt channel if you're still interested. I'd share it here, but I do not have a legal way to do so. ^^; It contains a few extra colors requested by tournament winners and a new one for the turtles that should be recognized by those who played the Genesis version.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Importing the Genesis characters sounds like it'll be a massive endeavor. Does that include characters that are already in the game, like the Turtles and Karai?

Streetwize

Jan 5, 2019
Importing the Genesis characters sounds like it'll be a massive endeavor. Does that include characters that are already in the game, like the Turtles and Karai?
Yes. Karai will have access to both movesets by switching between them. The "Super" stance will be a glass cannon while the "Genesis" stance is more stable. As for the turtles, we have some ideas.

I liked the general vibe and atmosphere of the Genesis version better since it reminded me so much of the Archie comics. Would have loved an actual good game based on that.
I did like the darker atmosphere myself. To be honest though, it had the least to do with tournaments and should have probably been called Dimension X or something. Then again, if it were called that we might be debating on whether to include it, with its only saving grace being that it was released around the same time as the NES version.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty awesome to have a Tournament Fighters that has all of the characters of the SNES, Genesis, and NES games.