• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Maybe folks who don't speak English as their first language had a harder time understanding the story so it didn't make them as miserable.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, maybe smaller games get relatively more marketing and coverage in the US because it's a bigger market overall, so publishers think it's more worth it to invest there. I really have no idea though, just guessing, someone with data would know more.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe folks who don't speak English as their first language had a harder time understanding the story so it didn't make them as miserable.

What is it with TLOU2 fans and thinking the story is somehow difficult to understand and that if you didn't like the game, or didn't like it that much, you just didn't get it? The story is simple, and the game is localized. What a silly argument.

Stop pretending like not having TLOU2 as your GOTY somehow means you didn't understand it or appreciate it for what it was.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
You make it sound like TLOU2 was shunned and snubbed by the US media or something.

The game still did incredibly well with US sites by being nominated for so many awards. It's not all or nothing you know.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with TLOU2 fans and thinking the story is somehow difficult to understand and that if you didn't like the game, or didn't like it that much, you just didn't get it? The story is simple, and the game is localized. What a silly argument.

Stop pretending like not having TLOU2 as your GOTY somehow means you didn't understand it or appreciate it for what it was.

Dude, I'm pretty sure that guy was literally shitting on the game lol.

Like: "Oh they liked it more because they couldn't understand how awful it actually was".

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Dude, I'm pretty sure that guy was literally shitting on the game lol.

Like: "Oh they liked it more because they couldn't understand how awful it actually was".

Man, I've been so good at keeping these TLOU2 threads ignored, got triggered by a comment I didn't read properly and worked myself.

I need to go back into retirement!

I deserve this L so I'm going to leave it there

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I could tell you last October that this would've been how things turned out.

Hades sucked the oxygen in the room and was both a media and dev darling on Twitter, which was heavily US/UK-based in terms of games media/developer representation. And while TLOU2 was liked - it wasn't the kind of adoration given to the same level of Mass Effect 2/BotW or its ilk, and that's not even talking about the other issue share of "buts" like the leaks, extremely toxicity and more deeply rooted criticisms on portrayal of diversity, its crunch, etc.

And even then, I leaned more heavily in expecting Hades to have won more than what it did (globally) but that only speaks to how overrepresented the US games media scene are on Twitter.

Maybe I'm going to say the crazy thing outloud here, but I didn't rate it higher than other games because I didn't like it as much as I liked other games.

Honest this should be the first reply, and one-and-done.

But to play devil's advocate, when looking at an aggregate data of review outcome with a sample size of >300, that is sufficient enough of a sample size to analyze the information that is irrelevant to any individual variable.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Reading comprehension, guys. That poster was shitting on the game's story ... as in, they couldn't understand it, therefore they enjoyed it more (because the story is "miserable").

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they just liked hades more, nothing deeper than that.

i don't think it's cuz they played one game and not the other, cuz if you look at the lists 95% of the time both are on there.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
This reminds me of that Kohima quote where he said something to the effect of Americans wouldn't understand Death Stranding because we have a gun fetish and that game isn't about that. This post.... really?
Imagine thinking TLOU2 is art house in the first place, at least Death Stranding sort of fits that description

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Man, the discourse about this Game will forever be this super passive aggressive/only aggressive shit for the rest of time, huh?
That to me is far more misery inducing than the actual Game itself, which left on a rather hopeful note ;(

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Yeah. TLoU Part 2 is killing it when it comes to awards.
I think even broke the record for nominations for NAVGTR.
Same for The Game Awards before.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked at the list and how the hell does CP77 have 20 awards?

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
It was a controversial game, both because of the narrative choices and because of the crunch.

Lots of possible theories. Could be a lot of US sites didn't want to reward developer crunch. Could be some sites didn't like the controversial choices with the narrative. Could be the timing of the game releasing during a depressing time. Could be a combination of all of the above. Or could be that people working at sites simply liked other games more. None of the viable theories have anything to do with the quality of the game though, (technical, art and gameplay/mechanics) which was top of its class.

Oct 25, 2017
What's to really understand? They didn't like it all that much and preferred Hades. And that's completely fine, I don't really understand why folks are getting tilted over this. The constant back and forth between people mad at TLOU2 winning [x] GOTY and others mad at TLOU2 not winning [x] GOTY has been tedious af. Just move on fam.
US folks having shit taste is nothing new.

ah yes the incredibly complex lingustic challenges of TLOU2.
This post is hilarious because, uh, it's pretty clear that poster is shitting on the game and look how you've taken it. Like if that's too complex for you then who knows fam 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
By the way, the discussion about the localization aspect of the two games is ironic, as Hades's localization was panned for being terrible.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
I find the type of concensus we tend to see with GOTY awards quite perplexing for such a diverse medium. All you have to do to judge the best movies of the year is park your ass on a seat and look at a screen. With gaming it could be any number of actions. Yet somehow there's always an argument about best picture Oscar pick but gamers are like, "Indeed, this is the most meritous game of all. Surely it ought to be bestowed with commedations most numerous ohoho"

Why does one have to recognize any one game in particular? Hades coming out ahead at a number of outlets, ignoring the deservedness for a second, is indicative that outlets can reject the "big" tentpole projects because surely we have to recognize and validate videogames as art in 2020. Maybe, just maybe, they liked Hades more.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Why does one have to recognize any one game in particular?

This. That's the issue when trying to find the one "winner" from yearly plethora of amazing games. There are so many thinks to love and valid opinions/preferences/tastes amongst them. We should be celebrating that diversity in gaming and recognize more then just one over all the others. It's just sad and hostile when fans start pushing their opinion as the only right one and dismiss others, just because "my preference is the most popular one".

Last edited:

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
With all the controversy tlou2 generated, intentionally or not, it did take some points away or else it would have swept away even the original.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I actually find the difference in picks between US/English speaking outlets fort game of the year to be interesting one the last five years. There was a post in the media awards tracking thread that had a breakdown of US/UK/RoW awards and this is what my thoughts were then:

Maybe a small contributory factor for some outlets but I don't think it's the only answer. I feel like there has also been a slight shift from English speaking critics to factor the story component in AAA titles less and instead to favour gameplay and mechanics - not that UC4 or TLOU2 had bad gameplay (far from it), but I feel it's visible in how they've given out awards over the last few years (Overwatch over Uncharted, BotW, God of War over RDR2, RE2/Sekiro over Death Stranding)

As you say, I think there's more awards going to TLOU2 this year due to how it approached its story a bit differently and the scope of the levels but there are more gunning for Hades than I expected still.

I'm still not sure why this seems to apply more to the US/UK than the rest of the world.
Obviously this won't be the only reason, and I think there are definitely other factors to be considered for Hades and TLOU 2. Would be interested in seeing a country level breakdown of what games wrong the overall prize but that does seem like a bit of a laborious process.

Anyway, both games are great - happy they're being recognised across various outlets across the world

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
comment sections on american articles/videos/livestreams praising the game are very different than the italian (and I suppose european) ones, I'm not enterely sure why, I don't really think Italy is less homophobic than America

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
I think on of the main reason is because there are a far greater number of Us/ English language critics, so there's a greater need to have a more unique opinion. Not that those opinions are not totally valid but a critic with more individual taste are more likely to generate clicks.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Let's be honest, most of WW does not "deserve"* to be counted. I say this as someone from a non-English country who at some point even contributed to one of those sites that gets listed on gotypicks. I don't mean to disparage any of my WW brethren, but 95% are clearly hobby sites that can just about pay the hosting bills as they run on young volunteers who dream of sometimes getting into or simply being recognized by the big gaming industry. They are more likely to be infatuated by AAA and less likely to be able to play a wide variety of games because they can't make a living out of it. They're even categorically not experts because experts know they can get paid. That's kind of why I stopped contributing myself. It was only ever intended to do something nice back for a community, but after a short while I was like why am I adding 5 hours of unpaid overtime to my regular games work.
The vast majority of professional games journalism simply happens to be in the US and UK, and while its not above choosing stinkers like DA Inquisition, the times are changing. (At the same time, probably the majority of US sites are also not professional.) Conversely, most of WW should more accurately be considered audience awards, and not even audiences as big as some of the English sites.

*because gaming is srs bznz /s

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Hot take here: big European game medias have this kind of "bro" culture that is pretty much the extreme opposite of our European "auteur-lovers" cinema critics.
I really don't see outlets like Jeuxvideo.com giving an indie the GOTY 2020 awards.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the discourse about this Game will forever be this super passive aggressive/only aggressive shit for the rest of time, huh?
That to me is far more misery inducing than the actual Game itself, which left on a rather hopeful note ;(

Fully agree with this, it is reaching the last jedi levels of not being able to discuss it on this forum.

If you say you love it you get those weird conspiracy people saying it is impossible to like it and you are wrong.

If you say you don't like it you get posts that not very subtitle call everyone that doesn't like the game bigots and sexists.

It sucks.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Hot take here: big European game medias have this kind of "bro" culture that is pretty much the extreme opposite of our European "auteur-lovers" cinema critics.
I really don't see outlets like Jeuxvideo.com giving an indie the GOTY 2020 awards.

Yup. Jeuxvideo.com is far from anything "auteur-lovers". And if we judge by their forums, their public is even worse.

In the french outlets, most of the reviewers often feel very "surface level" on their story appreciations and mostly concerned about gameplay first and foremost. And yeah, very "bro" in general. If not, they often just are pure chills "Chièze" style. So... Yeah, i don't really see them to be much more capable of "getting" the story of TLoU2 than their US colleagues.

I'd say it's just because the game ended up quite polarizing, it's either you love it entirely or despise the story for one reason or another. So logically, the overall review scores and GOTY awards had to be more inconsistant than a more "consensual" game. Seems normal to me, as much as i love this game.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
American critics more so than critics in other parts of the world want to look cool by voting for the indie title and sticking it to the exploitative AAA studio. I think that's all there is to it.
Both games are amazing. One got heavily politicized

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Are people reading the same OP as me? Why are so many responses acting as if the OP is mad Hades is winning awards / TLOU isn't winning "enough"? It has literally nothing to do with that.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
There was a lot of toxicity surrounding the tlou2 coverage whether it be crunch hours, twitter fight, the leak and plot. There were articles that a studio head like this shouldn't be given best director award. After all of this i can see why majority of us media didn't go for tlou2. Hades was not only a critical darling but had positive coverage all around it even regarding staff work hours etc.

Rest of the world doesn't care much about such things imo. Also like you said nearly all of the reader vote awards of us sites went to tlou2.

Both are amazing games earning merits.

This is also not the first game where the majority critics in a certain region did not agree with the overall goty winner.

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
In the french outlets, most of the reviewers often feel very "surface level" on their story appreciations and mostly concerned about gameplay first and foremost.
I'd say they're even more shallow than that, their TOP10 has always mostly been a TOP10 graphics/tech. And yeah TLOU2 looks great...

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Being from Europe, it seems to me that the body of critics in the US is more connected. People are more in touch with each other.

That way, it's easier for a trend (like the one you observe) to gain momentum.

And there's also the first TLoU "effect". Like in MVP voting in sports, analysts in the US tend to intentionally avoid celebrating an entity who was already plentifully celebrated in the past.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just a word of mouth thing? Hades is at a level where that is more important to be noticed than the heavily marketed AAA stuff. Maybe talk about "you have to play this" spread more in English speaking press circles.

I find the success of indies to even get noticed by the press can be hit or miss and maybe that nature can also be highly localised to certain areas of the world too.

Oct 25, 2017
Arguments I find wholly unconvincing:
  • Pandemic and other events of 2020 especially impacted Americans and that reflected poorly on a grim game like TLOU2
  • US media fears the gamer bro backlash
Arguments that maybe played a role but still explain very little:
  • US is more disapproving of unethical practices in development so that softened support for TLOU2 over Europe et al
  • Exposure to TLOU2 via PS4 was higher than exposure to Hades via Switch and PC in Europe et al

Probably is a much more boring explanation of just underlying tastes among the media class of US vs. non-US are different. Additionally, US media is more mingled than gaming media at large, so when an unexpected GOTY contender like Hades comes around, everyone gets pushed to play it eventually.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
IMO Hades deserves to be winning everything. It's an absolutely brilliant game that combines a fantastic gameplay loop with amazing looking visuals and fantastic music while also telling a wholly unique story that makes perfect use of its own gameplay mechanics in a way I haven't really seen in a game before.

I'm sure TLOU2 is great and all (I wouldn't know, don't have a PS4), but it's hard for me to imagine that it is a better realization of what gaming could be than Hades.

It's story was more art-house and introvert then most AAA games. Leaning more on theme's and character nuance rather then a standard plot or development arc. Stuff that usually works better in European countries. Scandinavian cinema in particular
'
In gaming journalism, it's quite literally the opposite in my experience.

Of course I cannot speak for all non-US gaming journalism, but my interactions (and work) with Dutch and Flemish gaming outlets always revealed one thing: they are mostly very, very juvenile, mostly unprofessional and cater to a mostly very young or "bro" audience.

And it's not fully the fault of those gaming outlets because they simply don't have the funds to do better, but a lot of gaming outlets over here are completely unprofessional. They "hire" people in high school, maybe in college who are willing to work for free as long as they get games and do not actually have much funds to operate independently and the journalists that do get paid are usually freelancers who work for all of them.

I mean, here in the Netherlands the biggest gaming outlets are basically the same, as they share like 75% of their writers.

So while in cinema Europe may have this rich critic-led cinema culture where "auteurs" are respected more than in the US (which isn't entirely correct, but I'll give you this one), in gaming journalism we are far behind on the US.

This actually plays into a reason, I think, why The Last of Us 2 won more GOTY's than Hades internationally, as I have personally known writers for the Dutch gaming press who out of principle wouldn't give a not-AAA game the GOTY, because GOTY is "supposed" to celebrate the biggest and best in gaming, and an indie game can never be the biggest or some shit.

Nov 4, 2017
I find it weird that people are conflating "outside of the US" with "don't speak English", as if the UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand don't exist. Or as if English weren't widely spoken in former colonies in Africa, the middle east and south east Asia, and used between many of these countries as a lingua franca. India alone has over 120 million English speakers, and there are a lot of Indian, African and SEA tech & gaming sites in English.