• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Each developer decides if they implement it, it's not like "Sony" has dropped the ball. Just look at how damn far Naughty Dog went for their accesibility options, while a game like Ghost of Tsushima pales in comparison.

Sure, but that right there is the issue. Accessibility options should be standard, and Sony could enforce that on their first party studios.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Gyro aiming (assist) should be mandatory for every game. There is no reason not to include it any more. I know Sony is always leaving stuff to developers and that's great, but in this case, they should really do something and make everyone implement it.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but that right there is the issue. Accessibility options should be standard, and Sony could enforce that on their first party studios.
They already enforce a lot of them, more than most publishers, my point is that stuff like gyro aiming does not have even close to the same priority as subtitles, for example.

Those kind of extra things are decided studio by studio, like Naughty Dog just going all overboard with absolutely every accesibility option in existence. No publisher would enforce that, same as I don't know, leaving up to the developer if their game has difficulty levels or not.

Jul 1, 2020
If more people playing on Playstation knew about and used gyro aim they would ask developers to implement it like people who play on Switch do.

I'm glad they added it as I will probably get a lot more arrows back than I did previously.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, I was in a bad mood. Here it is again in casual terms.

Gyro has been mistaken for waggle(slang for useless motion controls) for a long time in the mainstream gaming community despite many games that are fantastic using it in some form. (BotW, Splatoon, any game with a flick stick mod etc.)

Sony/Naughty Dog finally adding it to their mainline AAA game is a big deal since nay sayers have an very easy way of accessing proper implementation of gyro controls(i hope) and opens the door to other main Sony titles at least having it patched in. (Ghost of Tsushima could really use this.) Hence the "yelling" in the OP title.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
They already enforce a lot of them, more than most publishers, my point is that stuff like gyro aiming does not have even close to the same priority as subtitles, for example.

Those kind of extra things are decided studio by studio, like Naughty Dog just going all overboard with absolutely every accesibility option in existence. No publisher would enforce that, same as I don't know, leaving up to the developer if their game has difficulty levels or not.

Alright? We disagree here. I think it's silly of Sony to include so many interesting features in their controllers and fail to utilize them much. Gyro aiming specifically is something I've come to love this gen, and if it were more standardized it would be a selling point to their ecosystem for me. If they led by example, perhaps third parties would follow suit. We've seen that play out on the Switch, with an audience who has come to expect the feature leading to publishers across the board implementing it.

Repeating the current reality to me (a failure to include it as an option) doesn't make it any more right, or make me want it any less.

EDIT: anyhow I'm glad ND has implemented it here and hope it leads to more adoption of the feature moving forward.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive me for asking, but as I've never tried this, is it precise? Most games I've used the gyro for on PS4 it feels quite loose. They didn't use aiming but were things like the spray can in inFamous.

You're not aiming with the gyro. You still aim with the sticks. It's just that this lets you fine tune like millimeters in any direction by slightly moving the controller.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
The most recent game I finished in my back log ways Days Gone, and its motion controls were absolutely fantastic in it.

In fact, gyro aiming is the best control scheme added to video games since the light gun IMHO. I really hope that Sony pushes this as a consistent option on the PS5 with every FPS/TPS game they release.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Now that's what I'm talking about, I've always hated how Sony ignored gyro in their FPS/TPS series. Hopefully this is a good sign for things moving foward with the PS5

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping for flick stick. Gyro aiming by itself hurts my wrists too much, but it's cool that they added it for those youthful healthy wrists out there!

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Gyro aiming needs a bit of time to adjust so don't give up on it after 5mns.
Once your brain gets used to it, it's a godsend.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Was hoping for flick stick. Gyro aiming by itself hurts my wrists too much, but it's cool that they added it for those youthful healthy wrists out there!
^^^ How does it hurt your wrists if you barely move your hands? Even with Flick Stick, the gyro isn't supposed to be used 100% to aim at your target. It's supposed to fine tune a more precise aim after you use the right stick for large movements to turn in the general direction of the enemy.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Given how amazing the post launch support for horizon is I am surprised GG didn't support it for horizon. At least ND is picking that up now, just need the rest of the 1st party to follow suits. I hope sucker punch will add that for their bow aiming. Ps5 with dual sense hopefully.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those controls didn't seem very responsive with that. There seem to be some kind of acceleration ? What's the point ?

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Thats cool - hopefully its a sign Gyro aiming will get more support from Sony going forward.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
That's great news. I hope this becomes standard on ps5. (shame on ms for not including it).
In my opinion this is the greatest improvement to the shooter genre on consolessince the invention of twin sticks.

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Very appreciated, even from someone without a PS4. Might get to enjoy it on the PS5 with gyro, eventually! Very much hope it doesn't stay an exception for high profile Playstation games.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like having another play through with this game with gyro aiming. gonna do the same with days gone.

OP
OP
Tiny Chihuahueño
Oct 27, 2017
To my own opinion? Yes?

It's an incredible feature missing in almost all PS4 games that has been left out for no good reason since there's a perfectly working gyroscope on all PS4 controllers packed in with the console. And more importantly, it's a feature that improves accessibility for all people.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
good. hope to see more games using it going forward. laughable that anyone would be against adding in this `.,~optional feature~,.` when it absolutely makes the game better and far more playable for many people. assuming the implementation isn't garbage (it matters so much)

Nov 1, 2017
I'm hyped for gyro aiming, but also a little bummed because I already went through the game and I don't really have a desire to go back through it for cleanup or higher difficulties.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
^^^ How does it hurt your wrists if you barely move your hands? Even with Flick Stick, the gyro isn't supposed to be used 100% to aim at your target. It's supposed to fine tune a more precise aim after you use the right stick for large movements to turn in the general direction of the enemy.

Will it be like Golden Abyss where you could nudge up the Vita and it would move the crosshairs slightly?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It is cool to have options,but for me personally I hated gyro aiming in BOTW,the only game I used.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Holy shit! I can't believe ND added it. That's amazing. You all are in for a treat. Gyro aiming is a game changer.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I might actually pick this up because of this. I was always interested, just wasn't sure I'd have time to play it before we move overseas. But I loooove gyro aiming.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Hopefully in the next update.

Speaking of which, there's a fair bit of smoothing applied, which I'm not too fond of. Also, JibbSmart went into detail on what they could change about their implementation of gyro aiming.

Fortunately, Kurt liked the tweet & probably checked out Gyro Wiki, so perhaps we may see some changes in a future update. But all the same, the fact that they're adding gyro aiming at all is a solid first step.

This is very concerning. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Using the accelerometer along with the gyro may compromise the user's intent. Hopefully this can get sorted out.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is very concerning. There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Using the accelerometer along with the gyro may compromise the user's intent. Hopefully this can get sorted out.
At least they're now aware of the problems, & I'd imagine that complaints of smoothing will become more prevalent. Ideally, Kurt checking out Gyro Wiki will not only bring about fixes to these problems, but also the addition of flick stick.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I will buy it now!
I love gyro aim and I hope that Sony is implementing it into more titles now!

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Will it be like Golden Abyss where you could nudge up the Vita and it would move the crosshairs slightly?
I haven't played that in eons to compare, but aiming with the gyro enabled is simply twisting your wrists slightly over the six possible axis of the controller to fine tune the precision towards what you are shooting at.

The major aiming function happens through Flick Stick or traditional right stick controls, and are not handled by the gyro, so it shouldn't be physically taxing.

Last edited:

Syncro

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully in the next update.

Speaking of which, there's a fair bit of smoothing applied, which I'm not too fond of. Also, JibbSmart went into detail on what they could change about their implementation of gyro aiming.

Fortunately, Kurt liked the tweet & probably checked out Gyro Wiki, so perhaps we may see some changes in a future update. But all the same, the fact that they're adding gyro aiming at all is a solid first step.

That's interesting. Does anyone know if Days Gone uses the gyro/accelerometer combo like TLOU2 here or is it gyro only?

I absolutely loved the gyro implementation in Uncharted Golden Abyss on the Vita so I'm already a fan. I haven't got round to Days Gone yet.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
All of these improvements might just make me finally pick this up..

Sidebar: It's slightly annoying when single player games get substantial quality of life updates like this post launch. I haven't picked this up (yet) but I remember God of War getting some pretty neat quality of life improvements that I would've loved on my first playthrough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy these improvements exists but it furthers my resolve to buy games months after they release.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's interesting. Does anyone know if Days Gone uses the gyro/accelerometer combo like TLOU2 here or is it gyro only?

I absolutely loved the gyro implementation in Uncharted Golden Abyss on the Vita so I'm already a fan. I haven't got round to Days Gone yet.
Days Gone uses the same wording as The Last of Us Part II, so I'd imagine so.