• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I had a fantastic time with TLOU (ps3). The gameplay felt superb to me. It had a nice weight to it that felt as brutal as the game/world itself.

It's not bad, but rather uninspired.

Fair enough not liking the gameplay etc, but in what way is it uninspired? What would you want from a game like this...

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadful is a word I can't relate to. They're only slightly more braindead than Resident Evil 4's puzzles and I consider that game the greatest action game ever made and easily one of the best games ever made overall. That shit just doesn't bother me, I guess.

Sure, that's fine, but I also don't think that my (or anyone else's) dislike of those puzzles is "desperate." I'm definitely not criticizing TLoU because I want to be edgy or some shit like that.

I also don't like RE4 at all, so what we're probably learning is that you and I just have different priorities for our games.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay was great, this is shown by how well the multiplayer stands on its own. Without the story.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it really bothers me when people compare it to Gears of War. That's a very different thing altogether. I've played gears, and it's doesnt feel as satisfying IMO. Gears 4 in some ways almost weightless and floaty in certain aspects.
The video posted in the OP is pretty much Gears gameplay. The quick-to-cover, peering over, taking a quick shot, hopping up and running, grabbing a guy to use a shield, tossing a grenade, and so on. That is Gears.

However, as one post mentioned in this thread, that video is not normal gameplay for TLOU.

People always use video like OP to prove that it has some amazing gameplay yet as I've explained before those videos are created in a non organic way. 1st he will have had to have replayed the level countless times to memorise enemy placement and routes. And 2nd he's basically using a loophole whereby if play the level of an easier difficulty, farm all the resources and then restart on grounded you get to keep all the ammo. It's not indicative of how the game was actually designed. Grounded gives you insanely low ammo but the trade off is that guns are basically one shot kills. Here he's using the one shot kill ability of Grounded with the ammo amounts of lowers difficulties.

No one plays the game like this. No one replays the level 50 times to memorise enemy placement. No one farms ammo then restarts the level on Grounded. None of that is fun. He did this for a video, that's all. TLoU's gameplay is serviceable, together with the story it's good enough to get you through a playthrough. Maybe 2 at a stretch. Beyond that the gameplay loop isn't good enough to warrant multiple playthroughs in my opinion.

Gears, although, has the X-Y axis platforming mechanic which makes the game move much quicker (if you know how to do it). Additionally, the active reloading makes for more challenge. TLOU is pretty much Gears light. I am not saying that is a bad thing. Gears is a challenging game to play and as a result, it doesnt attract as-large of an audience. Make the game simpler, such as with TLOU, then more people will play the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Gears, although, has the X-Y axis platforming mechanic which makes the game move much quicker (if you know how to do it). Additionally, the active reloading makes for more challenge. TLOU is pretty much Gears light. I am not saying that is a bad thing. Gears is a challenging game to play and as a result, it doesnt attract as-large of an audience. Make the game simpler, such as with TLOU, then more people will play the game.
It really isn't seeing as TLOU is half stealth game and doesn't have regenerating health. Weird comparison. And active reloading is trivial lol, becomes automatic after a couple hours of playing Gears.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the game once on normal and didn't find the gameplay to be especially fun or compelling. If not for the story I definitely would've put the game down an hour or two in.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Fair enough not liking the gameplay etc, but in what way is it uninspired? What would you want from a game like this...
This is the thing. The gameplay is fine.

It's got a cover system, it's got Uncharted-style melee combat (which is to say, it's almost exactly Uncharted's melee combat), it's got crafting, it's got stealth... it's got all that.

But none of that stuff is new, and it doesn't really innovate on the games before it. Resident Evil 3 and 4 had on-the-fly crafting, there are a plethora of games with better stealth elements, and just looking at the way Joel moves in the OP's video, I wouldn't blame somebody for mistaking it for a realistic Gears of War reboot (that last one is nitpicky, I guess).

At best, I can say it amalgamates all of those elements into something that works, but I can't say in good faith that the gameplay is inspired. I've seen all the elements before, albeit in different games.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I'd imagine the main reason some feel this way is because Max Payne has the Michael Bay esque easy mode with all the slow motion stuff. Actual mechanical competency, animations and hit reactions wise, it isn't as refined or polished as the other games imo.
Have you actually played Max Payne? Becaus its notoriously difficult and harder then Last of Us.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I used to feel this way to an extent, but playing it on harder difficulties solidifies the gameplay. It's raw and can be a bit shaky, which is kind of a reflection of the game itself.

But if people don't like it, fine. I'm not for retrieving my pitchfork over someone not liking something I like. I even refrained from posting in that stupid Nier: Automata thread where people predictably dogpiled it.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Best hand to hand combat in a non character action game ever.

That video makes me want Joel to be playable in part 2 again.

When the hell are we gonna see more of tlou2 again.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
"TLOU has bad gameplay".

ResetEra: "Well..."

giphy.gif

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I have, and I love the franchise. The early titles are in my top 20-30 games of all time. But let's not pretend that slow motion doesn't make it considerably easier to aim.
Yes, but it still manages to be difficult because aiming isn't the source of it. There's a heavier emphasis on mobility and management. If people only liked it because the ease to aim, they probably wouldn't like the game as whole due to the general diffculty and limited time spent on bullet time.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
What if you bought the game on PS3, and then again on PS4 and still feel it to be kind of average. Average shouldn't be an insult. It would mean good. There are certainly people who make it out to be way above average and I have zero idea what they are smoking.
But this entire topic is subjective lol, someone who claims they think it's top notch and one of the best they've experienced could be genuine in their belief, same can be said though for someone who thinks it sucks ass. All I'm saying is that I'm also aware that it's become a talking point for fanboys since it's a PS exclusive.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I think this game is fine but overrated. People trip over themselves to suck this game off. After everybody wouldn't shut up about it I decided to give it a go and when I was finished I was like that was an ok experience. The gameplay is regular, it's not earth shattering good but it is also far from terrible.

With all that said I will give this game another go closer to when Part II comes out and maybe my opinion will change. Looking forward to doing that and ultimately Part II. It's not on my most anticipated list but I will get it day 1.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
But this entire topic is subjective lol, someone who claims they think it's top notch and one of the best they've experienced could be genuine in their belief, same can be said though for someone who thinks it sucks ass. All I'm saying is that I'm also aware that it's become a talking point for fanboys since it's a PS exclusive.
Agreed. With the game being an exclusive, people's bias are going to play a part in their view of the game. So, it is hard to really have a thread, such as this, where people are going to be completely honest.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the thing. The gameplay is fine.

It's got a cover system, it's got Uncharted-style melee combat (which is to say, it's almost exactly Uncharted's melee combat), it's got crafting, it's got stealth... it's got all that.

But none of that stuff is new, and it doesn't really innovate on the games before it. Resident Evil 3 and 4 had on-the-fly crafting, there are a plethora of games with better stealth elements, and just looking at the way Joel moves in the OP's video, I wouldn't blame somebody for mistaking it for a realistic Gears of War reboot (that last one is nitpicky, I guess).

At best, I can say it amalgamates all of those elements into something that works, but I can't say in good faith that the gameplay is inspired. I've seen all the elements before, albeit in different games.

Except it does innovate. The crafting system and crafting wheel is far more sophisticated than what's in RE4, and it also doesn't break you away from the game in order to use it. With TLOU when accessing your inventory or crafting wheel, you're still very much in the thick of battle with your surroundings completely and clearly visible, unlike in RE4. The stealth and environment design also far better facilitates the on the fly crafting in TLOU, as you're constantly hiding, crouching, jumping etc, to scoot around corners, find areas of cover, hiding spots etc in which to quickly craft whilst still observing everything around you.

And sure, MGSV has better stealth options, but you'd expect it to given it's a stealth game, and the very best at that. TLOU's stealth mechanics are still highly competent and add depth and diversity to engagements.

Then there's the engagements themselves. Whereas RE4 (which is in my top 10 all time games) is essentially 'shooting gallery the game', where the majority of enemies are just brain dead (literally) foes who just plod towards you slowly or stupidly, to the point where often times you just stand and shoot them one by one with only the occasional need for re-positioning (if they get too close), in TLOU engagements are generally far more dynamic.

With the AI constantly flanking, being able to move, climb, run, jump, hide, observe changes (you running out of ammo, or being injured, using one of their friends as hostage etc) and so on, so much faster and more intelligently than the majority of zombies in RE, it completely changes the ebb and flow of most encounters and generally requires more from the player. Even the 'zombies' in TLOU all move far quicker than your average zombie in RE, which again changes the pace and diversity of engagements. It's less strict shooting gallery, and more constant mobility, situational awareness, mix of stealth, environmental objects, distractions, melee and so on.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I personally don't find TLoUs gunplay anywhere near as satisfying as Destiny. As far as third person shooters go, the gun feel in TLoU is very middling.

I'm honestly not trying to prove something, I'm just interested because I never really understood what made Destiny gunplay so great, can you tell me what do you think is really good about it?

I found TLoU great because it was not like any other TPS, it was weighty, inaccurate (on purpose), which made it overall more complex than most other TPSes I played. I adored KZ2, KZ3 a bit more maybe (input lag is never good, even if you say it adds weight), which are similar IMO to TLoU.

Destiny felt dry for me. The guns themselves are not very special, the variety is pretty much like every other game, it's responsive, but that can be told about any other decent FPS. I loved Battlefields on Frostbite 2 and on because it really felt like you had a complex piece of engineering in your hand, and everything from the recoil to the animations felt less of a pre-programmed pattern and more like the gun being really alive in your hand. They double-downed on this in BF5, which is the absolute pinnacle for me in gunplay (the other parts, not so much).

I missed the Halo craze back in the day, played through all of them much later, but even then I never felt that the gunplay was too special. What makes it special to you?

I know it's off-topic, but I always wanted to ask this question, in the end I know it's "opinions" and all, but I felt a bit left out when everyone praised Destiny and I never felt anything.

On the sidenote, I didn't take into account enemies and such, just the pure handling of the game.

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

I won a game once with a total of 4 lives to their 7 when all my teammates left. Although the game never completed because everyone else left when they got down to 2 lives compared to my 4. I had the Shorty and Hunting Rifle in the High School map. There really isn't a multiplayer like TLOU. Being alone is so intense, but also fun at the same time.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
TLOU's gunplay was only marginally better than RDR2's. And RDR2 has my least favorite gameplay out of any AAA game I've played.

I played till the middle of the Fall chapter before i just gave up and watched the cutscenes on youtube a the story was the only thing that kept me playing for so long.

Only fun part for me was throwing something at something and then shivving them. Shooting, stealth, melee, all of the rest just wasn't fun.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I always thought the gameplay was perfectly fine, myself. But I'm not sure how the cherry-picked footage from a perfectly rehearsed speedrun in the OP is supposed to prove anything.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's this really reductive viewpoint in hardcore gaming circles that any game which puts effort into its story simply cannot ever have good gameplay. It's nonsense, of course.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TLOU's gunplay was only marginally better than RDR2's. And RDR2 has my least favorite gameplay out of any AAA game I've played.

I played till the middle of the Fall chapter before i just gave up and watched the cutscenes on youtube a the story was the only thing that kept me playing for so long.

Only fun part for me was throwing something at something and then shivving them. Shooting, stealth, melee, all of the rest just wasn't fun.
I feel like people mix up gunplay and gameplay. Like I always see vanquish mentioned as best gunplay but the shooting is actually shit in comparison to most TPS. It's really the gameplay they are praising

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay was great, this is shown by how well the multiplayer stands on its own. Without the story.
Considering that the biggest complaints people have about the gameplay are the AI/stealth and environmental puzzles, it's not surprising to me that the multiplayer plays better. That doesn't retroactively make the single player better though.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
ND has commented on why they made the AI the way it is. They way it was before did not result in a good experience in play tests due to it being too difficult. Hopefully they've hit some kind of compromise that works for TLoU II.

The AI overall is still generally ahead of many other TPS's so I'm not sure why this is something that keeps being brought up. For the type of game TLoU, it's obviously very hard to set up AI in a way that will work to perfect execution.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It's fine. It can be tedious and the AI is atrocious, but it's not bad. It's a Naughty Dog game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I think the gameplay is fine, though I don't like using practiced, premeditated videos like in the OP to demonstrate that. That's never going to be the regular user experience. That's trial and trial and trial to the point that Joel has become precognitive, knowing where enemies and items will be before he ever enters a room.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay was fine but bored me to tears and eventually I started running past encounters and triggering the next cutscene or w.e.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
This is perhaps more ridiculous than the idea of it having bad gameplay. Without that Naughty Dog logo on the cover there's no way that anyone would compare it to Uncharted. Yes, they both have third person shooter mechanics, but the flow of the games are entirely different. Uncharted has always been like what it'd be like if you could play a summer action movie. Despite what this short clip shows of TLoU, its flow is significantly slower and what set pieces it does have are very small compared to something you'd see in Uncharted. They're really nothing alike in the grand scheme of things.
If you really believe that you are seriously out of touch. The "flow" is slower due to forced stealth segments. The game was built on the Uncharted engine so naturally it leans heavily into the same graphic techniques, gameplay mechanics and style.

I love TLOU but it's obvious that the story is propped up by an uncharted shell with gameplay firmly second to narrative.

A quick google search will open your eyes to just how many outlets and critics compared it to Uncharted as well. Only in your head would it be unheard of.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of the environmental puzzles weren't fun at all. Moving ladders and planks. And swimming with pallets.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Basic stealth, melee combat, interactive environment, shooting, looting, distracting, good controls, crafting. Yes, I like the gameplay.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If you really believe that you are seriously out of touch. The "flow" is slower due to forced stealth segments. The game was built on the Uncharted engine so naturally it leans heavily into the same graphic techniques, gameplay mechanics and style.

I love TLOU but it's obvious that the story is propped up by an uncharted shell with gameplay firmly second to narrative.

A quick google search will open your eyes to just how many outlets and critics compared it to Uncharted as well. Only in your head would it be unheard of.

Because it's literally made by the same studio. What specifically is so similar about how the games play that TLoU feels like an asset swap of Uncharted?

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel that there is at least a group of people that feel that slower gameplay is automatically inferior to quicker twitch style gameplay.

Personally I actually tend to prefer slower paced gameplay where you rely less on your reflexes and more on positioning, tactics and resource management etc.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
The video posted in the OP is pretty much Gears gameplay. The quick-to-cover, peering over, taking a quick shot, hopping up and running, grabbing a guy to use a shield, tossing a grenade, and so on. That is Gears.

However, as one post mentioned in this thread, that video is not normal gameplay for TLOU.

Stealth is not possible in gears though. Sure, gears has better gunplay, but tlou gives you more options in how to tackle an encounter. If you go in guns blazing in multiplayer, you're going to suck. Gears has better gunplay but tlou has more depth.

Juices

alt account
Banned
Mar 3, 2019
I played TLOU for the story- the gameplay was so-so, but if they improve in TLOU2, I'd be super happy with that. Despite all that, I still think the game is an incredible and moving experience.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I do feel that there is at least a group of people that feel that slower gameplay is automatically inferior to quicker twitch style gameplay.

Personally I actually tend to prefer slower paced gameplay where you rely less on your reflexes and more on positioning, tactics and resource management etc.

dark souls is slow and deliberate, and i don't think many would contend that it's gameplay is anything but exemplary