• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Max Payne 3 and The Last of Us are the best two third-person shooters of last generation for pretty much the same reasons. They have incredible gameplay, art design, sound design, narratives, and characters. I will forever sing their praises and fervently disagree with their haters. I do think that The Last of Us's multiplayer is superior to MP3's though. Too bad Rockstar didn't have the balls to just force multiplayer to be free-aim only. Oh well.

You are forgetting the most important thing, an impactful and godly animated shooting section.
Shooting enemies in those games is uber satisfying.

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
You can't just show one of the most epic moments of the game and affirm it's flawless in general, especially in such a condescending way (speaking about the tweet not OP).
I personnaly think the gameplay mechanics are okay and the writing is really good but the game design is trash

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this doesn't really work tho. If it has bad gameplay than why is the MP which is pure gameplay and no story still popular? Clearly the gameplay must be good or else the MP would have died quickly.

To be honest, and perhaps a little blunt, I would dare to suggest that most multiplayer gamers seem content with playing absolute trash.

Which again is the same exact argument. I'll admit I played little of it, but TLOU multiplayer didn't seem anything special. It was still however a better time than say the uncharted multiplayer or most other games that get tacked onto a single player experience (let alone dedicated multiplayer revenue generating titles).

It carries the suggestion of depth, which doesn't carry things very far. But they at least put in the "suggestion" which is more than most companies will do these days. I really hope the sequel keeps going in this regard and turns into something that could really be quite "pretty decent"

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the OP video, I ctrl+f for "Gears" and was kind of surprised at the lack of comparisons to Gears of War. The video shows similarities to Gears core gameplay mechanic, although very simplified. Naughty Dog was definitely modeling the game after Gears.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's not great, and it does little to evolve over the ~20 hours or whatever that you have to interact with it. I can't tell you if the encounter design is just bad or if it's the awful AI, but I really never felt like I was having to adapt, learn or get better during the entire game. This was on hard though, not whatever the ultimate hard mode is called.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The may sound silly but for me the best moments of the game were those slower moments of reflection about the world they were living in, Ellie wondering what an ice cream van was and the overall character/relationship building, they had me in the palm of their hands with those.

As soon as I saw bad guys I huffed because it was the classic here we go again and they were spoiling my story beats, which I found to be way more interesting than the stealth/gunplay/crafting.

The soundtrack is completely flawless though, it has to be said.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I mean ... its a ton better than Uncharted but that's not saying much. Gunplay is nice, like the weapon sway and kick the weapons have

But holy crap the water segments with Ellie and the dumb as bricks AI

Still an incredible game regardless

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't get it. I love TLOU's story and characters, but it's the gameplay that compelled me to do an additional four playthroughs.
This.

The Last of Us may have been great for an awful lot of things, not the least of which are the story, the music, the characters, the setting, etc...
But the one element that made the game click for real was the gameplay, and how much fine-tuned and refined it was.

And this is ND's first attempt at the survival genre, can't wait for Part II.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike the UC series, I loved-loved-loved the gameplay in The Last of Us. The melee combat had this heavy and meaty feel. The shooting had great feedback in terms of animation, visual and audio design. Also, the game provided lot of opportunities for stealth which is a big plus and even after 4th playthrough I never got tired of throwing bricks.

Can't wait for the Part 2.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I love, L O V E The Last of Us's Gameplay. Stealth + Survival? Minimal RPG elements? I am so there.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's decent, and it tries to enhance the "survival" aspect of the game. The bad things IMO are the contextual combat options, the bad stealth sections and some really restrictive areas. If TLOU2 has more freedom and relies less on scripted events, it can be a good improvement.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you put the difficulty onto Grounded the gameplay and AI are SO much better.

What exactly is the point of reductive posts like this? I doubt even 1% of players who played the game ever even experienced this. AI issues or bugs exist in each and every single TPS out there, and the issues people have with the AI in TLOU are by in large issues that exist in all other TPS or games in general (eg enemies charging you, enemies going to scout out places another enemy just died, enemies continuing to fight even if their allies were just killed etc). For whatever reason TLOU is held to far higher, non video game like standards.

Show me some TPS with AI better than this.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't like it whatsoever. It's super vanilla with pretty poor game feel. Still better than the actively bad Uncharted 1-3.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does. This clip looks nice, but the game feels very clunky to play.

Stealth was also straight up broken.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
The combat had great weight to it. That's relatively uncommon, even among games lauded for their combat. The gunplay makes sense within a world that strives for some sense of realism.

The stealth mechanics were more than adequate. It's no Splinter Cell but it absolutely gets the job done. The only thing that annoyed me was that your partner's were invisible, which is IMO a design flaw.

I could understand people being frustrated with the repetition. Or the zombie combat. But as an entire package the gameplay appears more Than solid.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
With the storyline and set pieces of the last of us combined with the gameplay of MGSV it could have been a really great game. As it was I got bored half way through and never made it past philly.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Still one of my most hated game. I dislike everything about it, especially the gameplay.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
I gave it up half way through because of the gameplay. Picked it back up, put it down to easy and played through it to see the (magnificent) story. I'd like to see a few things changed. Mainly, if you're going to rely on stealth, make it so it will actually work because it's too inconsistent and causes deaths, or at least did for me. I found it infuriating to control.

Also, using a clip you or somebody else has clearly rehearsed doing over and over to show its gameplay off isn't realistic whatsoever. :)

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
It's an idea perpetuated mostly by trolls and fanboys on the heels of Uncharted's bad rep in that department that in the end doesn't hold up because the game does more than enough to easily disprove it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is the point of reductive posts like this? I doubt even 1% of players who played the game ever even experienced this. AI issues or bugs exist in each and every single TPS out there, and the issues people have with the AI in TLOU are by in large issues that exist in all other TPS or games in general (eg enemies charging you, enemies going to scout out places another enemy just died, enemies continuing to fight even if their allies were just killed etc). For whatever reason TLOU is held to far higher, non video game like standards.

Show me some TPS with AI better than this.

It's held to a higher standard because of the E3 2012 demo. Creating unrealistic expectations can backfire.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dislike the movement and shooting in Uncharted, which encompasses pretty much all aspects of the game. And while TLoU maintains some of those traits I don't like, the additional tactical element means that for me I'm much more willing to overlook the bits of the gameplay I don't like.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
For me it's in the same category as RDR 2. It serves its purpose extremely well because of how closley tied the gameplay is with the narrative and "feel" of the game.

However, on its own, I wouldn't say its good.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's brilliant. Just like the multiplayer. It can get so tense and tactical. Can't wait for Part II.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was the best Naughty Dog game in terms of gameplay. Not phenomenal but the sound design made the firefights pretty awesome.

Some gun issues sure, and the story was just okay but yeah, the gameplay was pretty damn nice.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 are fantastic narratives and technical tour de forces trapped with mediocre gameplay, actually playing those games were my least favorite things about them.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
If I could have skipped the gameplay sections, I probably would have, to be honest. I sure didn't come for the 'I boost you up and then wait until you find a way to get me up too' sections, and especially not for the stealth or combat. The very thing that made me drop The Last of Us was walking into another area and seeing the nth area littered with waist-high walls, bricks and bottles. It just made me want to do anything else at that moment. You can point out that this is just the type of game it is, and me not liking it doesn't make it bad, and you'd be right. I avoid words like "bad" for that very reason, but it changes very little of my enjoyment. Since I don't care for these types of games, its nuances might have been lost on me. It just came across as an expensive version of what other games had been doing.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't find any naughty dog game particularly satisfying to play tbh. Fun stories and good characters make them worthwhile but the act of playing the game is not particularly fun.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
maybe not bad. But more like mediocre. Haven't played in forever. I couldn't tolerate this game for more than the hour or two i tried it.
I do remember thinking how odd it was that the controls and shooting were so poor...when these are the ppl that made Uncharted 2.

Feb 24, 2018
Can we please not go into "Don't agree with/like what I like then your a bad person/inferior to me/opinion doesn't matter territory", seriously one of the first comments in this thread is just that.

Not everyone is going to like the same gameplay, that's not controversial and getting defensive and trying to mock people over it as that tweet is trying to prove quite frankly makes you look just petty and the type of elitist gamer people mock gaming for.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hated the gameplay, and playing on the highest difficulty only made the issues that much more apparent.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
The only part that kinda bothered me was Ellie's AI.. i would rather had her finding cover and stay hidden somewhere when i sneak around then her run around like a headless chicken and still being able to be unseen by the enemies.
Besides that i think the gameplay was pretty good? Its a tad slow but it fits the game perfect imo.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I could never click with it, even at launch it felt like a much older game in terms of how it played. Certainly the stealth sections which felt like like they were from a decade old game.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I loved the feel of the game. It all has a weight to it: you could almost feel it when you would hit an enemy in the face with a bat or a brick.

Now Uncharted on the other hand...

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I loved the game but i think the problem most people have with this game is that its kinda.....overrated.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
It's "ok", i never liked ND gameplay in the PS3-PS4 era, way too "cinematic" for my tastes.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
One of the most overated games alongside RDR2, a case of style over substance.

It gets a pass due to the story and presentation IMO.