• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naughty Dog factions release

• Next-gen only and F2P

Votes: 109 19.4%
  • Next-gen only and premium

Votes: 103 18.3%
  • Cross-gen and F2P

Votes: 169 30.1%
  • Cross-gen and premium

Votes: 121 21.5%
  • TLOU 2 re-release on PS5 bundled with MP

Votes: 60 10.7%

• Total voters

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Next gen and f2p.
Best tps controls and tactical gameplay it can be huge. Also put it on pc. It can be next big thing

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'd bet it'll be free to play. May be only on ps5 since converting ppl to ps5 is Sonys strategy. Hopefully it's not pay to win. I never got a chance to play tlou online so that might not be a legitimate concern. I do remember that nonsense with uncharted though

Apr 27, 2020
Like this:

- If you have TLOU2, it's a free add-on

- If don't have TLOU2 you can purchase it for _______

- PS5 owners of TLOU 2 on PS4 get both for free

Jan 4, 2018
Honestly, I think it's more likely to be multiplatform (PS5 and PC) rather than cross-gen (but still PS5 only most likely, at least at first). Also, while I think TLOU2 is one of the best games I've ever played, I actually kind of hope it's turned into a completely new IP. I think people just associate TLOU too much with story, regardless of how good the gameplay is.

It was hard enough to get people to care when Factions was part of the original game at launch (same with Uncharted), and now that everyone has played Part 2, I think there would just be a lot of apathy towards any TLOU MP focused content. I think they need to really try to make this game stand on it's own so it's not just seen as an expansion of TLOU2, but a completely new thing that demands attention and it's own separate spotlight. Plus, being able to say Naughty Dog is launching a new IP in the first year or two of the PS5 would be a great marketing move.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'll guess that they would want the game to run at 60fps minimum and for that, it'll probably be next gen only. Perhaps F2P for folks that got TLOU2 or you could just buy standalone CoD MW Warzone style.

my hope is that they'll include the elimination mode from the first title. Then maybe branch out to a mode a bit more ambitious. Say a smaller scale BR mode with like 30 folk in downtown Seattle or the likes.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Crossgen and F2P.. 30 fps on this gen consoles and 60 on PS5.
Why would you want that? Do you not think that PS4 could run a Factions standalone game at 60fps? Or you just don't want it to happen, but for what reason? Not to mention that if this game is cross-gen as you seem to hope for, that would mean that PS4 and PS5 players would be able to play together. That would be impossible to do if one platform runs the game at 30fps, and the other at 60fps. You might want to know that this is also why there was no cross-play options between PS3 and PS4, since the PS3 game was locked at 30fps.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Why would you want that? Do you not think that PS4 could run a Factions standalone game at 60fps? Or you just don't want it to happen, but for what reason? Not to mention that if this game is cross-gen as you seem to hope for, that would mean that PS4 and PS5 players would be able to play together. That would be impossible to do if one platform runs the game at 30fps, and the other at 60fps. You might want to know that this is also why there was no cross-play options between PS3 and PS4, since the PS3 game was locked at 30fps.

Is not what I want.. is what I believe will happen.

Uncharted 4 worked at 60 fps on the Pro for MP but seems impossible to me that TLOU 2 could run at 60 on the base Ps4.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

They can still play together even if the framerate was different.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
F2P next-gen exclusive

That and F2P GTAO would be a killer combo and move units

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Is not what I want.. is what I believe will happen.

Uncharted 4 worked at 60 fps on the Pro for MP but seems impossible to me that TLOU 2 could run at 60 on the base Ps4.
We're not talking about a big scale game here. Have you played The Last of Us Factions? If so, you know that this game features multiple maps that are based on some locations from the story mode, pretty much like Uncharted 4, alright? And it runs at 60fps without any issue.
The multiplayer game Naughty Dog is working on is probably going to have a similar feature, in other words, maps that aren't huge, just enough to welcome 4 vs 4 matches, if it's anything like its predecessor. Why would it not run at 60fps on base PS4? It might not achieve 1080p, it might be 900p/60fps like Uncharted 4 multiplayer.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can see it being cross-gen but I'm not expecting it to be free-to-play. I think it'll be a "budget" price premium package.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
We're not talking about a big scale game here. Have you played The Last of Us Factions? If so, you know that this game features multiple maps that are based on some locations from the story mode, pretty much like Uncharted 4, alright? And it runs at 60fps without any issue.
The multiplayer game Naughty Dog is working on is probably going to have a similar feature, in other words, maps that aren't huge, just enough to welcome 4 vs 4 matches, if it's anything like its predecessor. Why would it not run at 60fps on base PS4? It might not achieve 1080p, it might be 900p/60fps like Uncharted 4 multiplayer.

TLOU 2 is more advanced in fidelity and animations compared to Uncharted 4.

In my opinion is not that easy to translate this into a 60 fps MP on a weak base PS4.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Crossgen and free to play would be a good guess. Hopefully it's full on multiplatform pc and consoles.

sideofries

Jul 19, 2020
What if they just bundle it with the inevitable Abby and Lev DLC? $40 for a Lost Legacy like single player game and a Factions MP component sounds like a good deal to me...

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure factions will be its own thing, cross gen, maybe free to play, that serves more as a platform on which to expand the last of us universe when it comes to multiplayer.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I legit have no idea. Crossgen, crossplay F2P would probably have the largest player base so I'm hoping it's that.

TLOU 2 is more advanced in fidelity and animations compared to Uncharted 4.

In my opinion is not that easy to translate this into a 60 fps MP on a weak base PS4.

It runs at a pretty solid 30 at 1080p on base consoles. 900p/60 like UC4 multiplayer is not out of the question.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like for it to be next gen only it'd have to be a lot more than just Factions, like also have a BR and/or (what I want) Survival (Day Z/Rust like ) mode. F2P would be very smart.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that it'll be huge if they drop it as a separate f2p title. Factions 1 was pretty popular and well received, so a sequel to that with more resources is only going to be more impressive.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
I was very disappointed when they announced TLOU 2 wasn't going to have MP. Factions can be a perfect setup for a large scale survival or battle royal mode.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
F2p or paid is fine. Hopefully just next gen only so they don't need to be held back by current hardware for long term support.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I legit have no idea. Crossgen, crossplay F2P would probably have the largest player base so I'm hoping it's that.

It runs at a pretty solid 30 at 1080p on base consoles. 900p/60 like UC4 multiplayer is not out of the question.

Yes but coop runs at 30fps. I don't think it's realistic to do cross gen without heavy compromises while still being a good experience for the average gamer. 60 FPS requirement could also mean scope of the project being challenging to work around.

I can see this coming out cross gen but not cross play. You can import you stats from PS4 to PS5.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Factions will be its own thing, because the MP is strong enough to stand alone -- especially with the evolution of gameplay between TLoU-->TLoUII. I presume it'll be F2P with microtransactions.

...I keep imagining the horrifying combination of players being able to go prone + Covert Training.

200.gif

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Next-gen only, and hopefully free-to-play. The multiplayer market is so extremely competitive I'm not sure a paid The Last of Us Multiplayer game can sustain a big playerbase outside of its hardcore fans for long. And if it isn't f2p it definitely shouldn't be the full $60 and Sony should consider putting it on Now.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
F2P and cross gen is the way to go imo. I want a healthy playerbase that will last. I just hope they don't go wacky with the cosmetics. Also no fucking pay to win microtransactions this time, for the love of god.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Premium/cross-gen.
I can picture it being a PlayStation Plus game, like DriveClub was aiming to be.
Unlock the full version for $24.99 (digital-only on PS4).
PS5 disc-version that comes with Part II and the MP for $49.99.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
F2P with battle royale could have potential to be huge for PS5.. although cross-gen for the player numbers may be good too.

AndyY

Apr 3, 2020
Cross gen and F2P. There's no way they'd just forgo the huge PS4 population by making it PS5 only. Especially since it's a multiplayer game.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Hoping for PS5 exclusive, standalone title, maybe use a different theme than TLOU

Supreme Leader Galahad

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Replying because of the poll:
-Next Gen Only
-F2P
-Each Part 2 owner gets a pack of the highest quality cosmetics they have
- Launch with Supply Run but tease a BR mode

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Definitely cross-gen. I doubt they are going to kill that ~10m or more playerbase who bought the title on PS4. Free add-on for those who purchased TLOU2, $20-30 add-on for the rest.

ND can put some pretty OP shit in form of micro-transactions as evident by U4 MP, which btw is still not F2P. So, I don't expect Factions to be F2P either.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Lol don't think I've seen a poll here before where all the options were relatively close with votes...it's anyone's guess.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Their last few multiplayer modes have basically been F2P games by design anyway so actually making it F2P would be the natural thing to do. It'll be fucking stupid if they make people pay for it upfront and keep all the microtransaction bullshit. They only got away with it before because almost everybody cared about the single player more.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
My wild guesses:
  • F2P
  • Next-Gen-Only
  • MTX/Battlepass
  • Same graphics like singleplayer TLOU2 (normally multiplayer graphics take a hit)
  • 60FPS
  • Classic 4vs4 mode but also bigger modes with up to 32 player (Battle Royale light)
  • Playable Zombies

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll even make it cross-play. If you really want to create a behemoth of a MP game it really needs to be on all platforms and probably F2P too.