• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I really like the Yakuza series, but my brother will purposely mispronounce it whenever he sees me playing.

It hurts so much

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a few utterances of "Colin McRally" from people unfamiliar with the Scottish rally driver

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Native English speakers realize that Luigi is only two syllables and not three Challenge.

Can you explain? The u and i are definitely much shorter in Italian--I know the u actually functions much like an English w a lot of the time--but I think it's still three syllables no matter what. Even if the "lu" in "Luigi" is basically an "lw" cluster that's still syllabic. Am I wrong?

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I figured out how to pronounce Ys correctly entirely by accident. Was watching an anime a few years ago that had a character who's name is written in the exact same kana that they use for Ys in Japan and searched her name (to find a pic to use as a PFP on another site) and got results for Ys instead of the character. Basically went 'Huh, so that's how those games are pronounced'.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Was the Game Boy Advance known as the Game Boy Advanced anywhere in the world? Because I see a lot more folks than I'm used to writing it in the past tense, and as far as I'm aware, that is incorrect. But seeing it so often written that way makes me wonder if I'm not the one mistaken.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I'll go to my grave pronouncing Tharja from Fire Emblem as Thar-ya, despite FEWarriors finally nailing the coffin and saying Thar-juh in voice

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain? The u and i are definitely much shorter in Italian--I know the u actually functions much like an English w a lot of the time--but I think it's still three syllables no matter what. Even if the "lu" in "Luigi" is basically an "lw" cluster that's still syllabic. Am I wrong?
I don't know how to explain it in detail in english, but essentially "Lui" is supposed to be a single syllable, similar to how Ryu works. So it's "Lui-gee" (Lwi?) instead of "Loo-e-gee".

There are plenty of instances in Mario games where his name is pronounced right, mostly by Martinet himself, but the Super Smash Bros. Melee announcer saying his name in the character selection screen and Luigi celebrating winning a golden cup in Mario Kart 64 come to mind as examples (incidentally, the voice actor in the Japanese version of MK64 pronounces it right as well despite the goofier delivery, lol).

To be honest Mario is also widely mispronounced, but that's its own can of worms.

Nov 17, 2017

Orisa from Overwatch. People call her "oh-Riss-a" which to be fair is what Jeff Kaplan called her but her name is pronounced "Oh-Ree-Sha."

It's a case of Overwatch taking names from different cultures but not knowing how to pronounce them.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Laura Croft instead of Lara Croft. That really annoys me. Like she has existed so long as a character so please stop calling her Laura. The names actually sound different and it isn't just a case of different spelling.

Alex the kid instead of Alex Kidd. Like cmon his last name is Kidd. It isn't like saying Sonic the hedgehog. Some people talk of his games as being their favourite and still don't know his proper name and call him Alex the kid.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate this one, considering water is the game's main motif.

That's because there's a different piece of wordplay with Tidus. It's based on the Okinawan word "tida", which is "sun". Which is the counterpart to "yuna" which is a way to say "moon".

Like this.

But I still default to the way you say it, have to correct myself every time.

I've been saying this one correctly the whole time, nice.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I don't know how to explain it in detail in english, but essentially "Lui" is supposed to be a single syllable, similar to how Ryu works. So it's "Lui-gee" (Lwi?) instead of "Loo-e-gee".

There are plenty of instances in Mario games where his name is pronounced right, mostly by Martinet himself, but the Super Smash Bros. Melee announcer saying his name in the character selection screen and Luigi celebrating winning a golden cup in Mario Kart 64 come to mind as examples (incidentally, the voice actor in the Japanese version of MK64 pronounces it right as well despite the goofier delivery, lol).

To be honest Mario is also widely mispronounced, but that's its own can of worms.

Okay, I see! That makes sense, thanks. I think technically it'd still be three syllables, but I'm being pedantic.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Also, apparently I've been pronouncing Lakitu from the Super Mario Bros. series wrong this whole time, and it's Lah-keet-tu. And not Lock-a-tu, which I've been saying since childhood. Even knowing how it's pronounced, I have to retrain my brain to say it the right way since old habits die hard!

I believe Kamek is another one. I believe it's pronounced kay for the first syllable and not kuh.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
People calling Geralt "Jeralt". How do you even get that wrong? The games only say his name a few thousand times.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see a difference between Lara and Laura, unless Lara is supposed to be like lair-uh.

How is Lara supposed to be pronounced?

Siobhan

Oct 28, 2017
Pthumeru. People always pronounce it with one of the letters silent, though nobody can ever agree on which one. Like it'll be thoomeru or poomeru or toomeru. Rubbish. Just say it how it's spelled. If you have trouble doing this, then say 'depth'. Now say 'depthoo'. Now drop the first two letters. You can also use this trick with a word like 'cats' or 'bats' if you want to stop saying Sushima.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
Growing up it was not uncommon for me to hear people add an S at the end and call Midway's basketball game "NBA Jams". (Not video game related, but they would do the same thing with a certain bookstore chain, calling it "Barnes and Nobles.")

Street Fighter II names were fun - Ryu has already been mentioned, but I heard Guile pronounced as "Ghoulie" or "Gwheel" many times. My favorite though was in junior high, the kid that sat next to me in algebra pronounced Dhalsim as "Diz-lim".

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The enemy names in Resident Evil 6 sure are something for native English speakers. There's a monster, whose skin is made entirely of nipples, named "Lepotitsa."

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017
I can't understand people who pronounce Ryu wrong, yet pronounce shoryuken correctly.
Ryu. A lot of people say RYE-U it's REE-U I mean the game even says it but they still say it wrong ..
One of my biggest pet peeves in gaming is this lol
the funniest part of that is that everyone pronounces Shoryuken correctly
Maybe it's because I m french, but I pronouce most of them right. I don't even understand how people fail to say Ryu right when the games, anime, movie spell it for you...

For starters, the English dub on 5 still doesn't say it "correctly". As another poster pointed out, REE-YUU is 0% more accurate than RAI-YUU. There's only one syllable (technically two, but the second is just extending the same vowel sound), and one vowel sound, and its at the end of the word. Even SF5 says "REE-YUU".

Anyway all that aside, the name in English is RAI-YUU. It's just the vernacular at this point. That's what caught on during the arcade days, and Capcom embraced it. Nobody speaking English says "Ryuu". At least American English haha, no idea if the same caught on in the arcades of other English speaking countries.

So yeah, in the US, RAIYUU's (as in, ride you) signature move is shoryuken. You can't actually complain about it anymore, you'd be the one in the wrong =p

I guess another one is Amaterasu from Okami. I am pretty sure that u is supposed to be silent. So Amateras is the correct way to pronounce it.

No, 100% false. Amaterasu is the correct way to pronounce Amaterasu. No ambiguity (except in which syllables get emphasized >_>). "U" sounds are often shortened at the end of words, but still present, even in highly exaggerated accents. A native speaker would unlikely be able to make the s sound without a tiiiny little u at the end =p

This word specifically, for example? The most common way you'll hear it is as "Amaterasu-sama", right? In cases where su is followed by another s sound, the u is always normal length, which is a full syllable.

Whats wrong with this? It should be a but more of a gahroo to match the french but its not far off

Match the French? It's a Japanese word 🤣 It's Gah-Roh, but the last vowel is slightly extended. Pace it out like three syllables: ga ro o, but the last two combine to one longer vowel sound.[/I]

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Probably been mentioned, but I still say "ee-nix", even though I know the katakana says "eh-nix". The portmanteau "Squeenix" doesn't help. :)

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
You know how you say car, far, par, tar?

Well the Lar in Lara is said the same, whilst Laur in Laura sounds like door, core, sore, tore.

The pronunciation for Lara is right but the Laura one is wrong. It doesn't rhyme with sew, hoe, toe, dough. Its like core, floor (just remove the f and you have it), door, etc.
Yeah, my bad. Separated the syllables incorrectly

Dr_handsome

Jan 26, 2021
Kokiri: I'm pretty sure it's it's ko-kee-ree but I used to say ko-kuh-ree, like potpourri. I also used to say Gerudo with a soft 'g' and like so many others Hylia was always Hill-lee-uh, not Hi-lee-uh...

I'm sure Zelda's got more-- try gettin' a 13 year old to pronounce Sahasrahla.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
once i learned the japanese syllabaries it made things a lot easier to figure out

i have trouble not spelling it dishonoured

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Was the Game Boy Advance known as the Game Boy Advanced anywhere in the world? Because I see a lot more folks than I'm used to writing it in the past tense, and as far as I'm aware, that is incorrect. But seeing it so often written that way makes me wonder if I'm not the one mistaken.

Well one of the most popular games was Advanced Wars, so I can see why they'd be confused.

No wait, that's not right either.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Working in games retail in a country where English is not the first language I've come across many examples.

Infamous - More often than not I heard people pronounce it as "in famous" instead of in-fuh-muss

L.A. Noire - I've heard people call it "lanoi-ruh" lol

Anything with Roman numerals like GTA IV > "GTA if"

Deus Ex is a good one too.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima
Tsunami
....Pizza
I'm sure it's not that hard if you remember this.
The enemy names in Resident Evil 6 sure are something for native English speakers. There's a monster, whose skin is made entirely of nipples, named "Lepotitsa."
Sounds like a clever word play of the word "Lepotica" what means "beauty".