• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
The most egregious one I can think of is people who pronounce Hydrocity in Sonic 3 as "High-dross-it-e".

Jul 24, 2018
The Planet Kashyyyk from Star Wars is pronounced differently in a few Star Wars games. In KOTOR 1 it is pronounced Ka-shik, whereas in games like say Fallen Order they say Kasheik. I can't even remember what is thr correct way to pronounce it, I assume the new games do it right.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I have to say, how some of the native-english speakers try to approximate how to pronounce vowels is confusing.
You think pronouncing I as an E is the more natural way? Thats odd.
In most languages that uses the latin alphabet, the letter "i" is pronounced like the letter "e" in English. Native speakers of Frensh, Spanish, Polish, etc can correct me if I'm wrong.
It is interesting that ever since Dictator came on to work for DF and started pronouncing Wolfenstein with proper german pronunciation, both Richard and John have now followed suit.

Technically, the pronunciation is a touch difficult for non-german natives given, phonetically, it is closer to "Vuh - elf - n - shtayn". Like many words in German, this does not roll of the tongue.
Now, I have no idea where this is coming from: Wolf is one syllable, not "Vuh - elf". It's volf with IPA script [vɔlf], with ɔ as open o. In American English, the vowel in thought, ough, is pronounced the same way. The difference is, in Wolf it's a short, in thought a long vowel.
With that in mind, I don't know what's so difficult about Wolfenstein.

GenoScreams

Oct 31, 2017
In Final Fantasy IX, many people think there is a location called Lifa Tree, but it's actually Iifa tree. Capital "i" and lowercase "L" look too damn similar, plus Lifa just works better than Iifa in English, so I got this one wrong for a while too. Doesn't help that some of the guides I'd use also got it wrong.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, how some of the native-english speakers try to approximate how to pronounce vowels is confusing.

In most languages that uses the latin alphabet, the letter "i" is pronounced like the letter "e" in English. Native speakers of Frensh, Spanish, Polish, etc can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's because of the vowel shift that happened in the English language a couple of hundred years ago.

Though sometimes you can still hear the original sound of the vowels, e.g. when British people say "butcher" the "u" has the original u sound, or the a in "family".

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
It's ENN-EEE-ESS!! Not "ness!" (I mean, it is, right?)

Also, I'm annoyed every time I see "Gameboy" rather than the correct name "Game Boy," and that happens a lot, even here. And every time I see "Mac"--short for Apple Macintosh--spelled in all caps like "MAC," I hear a guy shouting "MAC!!!" in my head. Argh.

Not a game but I hate when people say Oo-be-soft instead of you-be-soft.

There is no definitive way, according to this video released by the company itself:

www.youtube.com

Is it OO-BE-SOFT or YOU-BE-SOFT?

We finally answer this question once and for all.

The CEO actually says Ooo-bee-soft in French, but then says "In English, you can say you-bee-soft, or, you can pronounce it the way you want." I personally have always pronounced it ooo-bee-soft and that sounds right to me.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US

david-nakayama-venom-cereal-v2-1000v.jpg

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
It's because of the vowel shift that happened in the English language a couple of hundred years ago.

Though sometimes you can still hear the original sound of the vowels, e.g. when British people say "butcher" the "u" has the original u sound, or the a in "family".
Yes, and the spelling has not been reformed since then. It's redundant to call it a mess.
When I is the first letter of the word? I'm struggling to find examples.
In English, "in", "is", "interesting", but not many. And I was talking about how most other languages pronounces the "i".

Mar 10, 2018
The Planet Kashyyyk from Star Wars is pronounced differently in a few Star Wars games. In KOTOR 1 it is pronounced Ka-shik, whereas in games like say Fallen Order they say Kasheik. I can't even remember what is thr correct way to pronounce it, I assume the new games do it right.
Speaking of which, isn't Sheik from Zelda supposed to be pronounced "shake," like the official pronunciation of the Arabic word ("Shaykh")? I know BOTW and the Smash games pronounce it as "sheek", but it still kinda bugs me.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Now, I have no idea where this is coming from: Wolf is one syllable, not "Vuh - elf". It's volf with IPA script [vɔlf], with ɔ as open o. In American English, the vowel in thought, ough, is pronounced the same way. The difference is, in Wolf it's a short, in thought a long vowel.
With that in mind, I don't know what's so difficult about Wolfenstein.

In my head that's how I had to break it down when Alex (Dictator) was pronouncing it (compared to how John and Richard pronounce it now). "Vuh" is an Open "o" in my head. The lack of accents for a given letter in English alphabet, makes it difficult at times to convey how exactly vowels sound within a word. Furthermore, as was recently brought to my attention that much like English, German pronunciation varies within Germany itself. So regional variation notwithstanding, trying to mimic how Alex says the word was comparatively harder for me than how Richard and John now try to pronounce it.

As someone who got started learning German last year (w/o much external aid) intermittently, I have found certain words quite difficult to pronounce (granted they were not "Wolfenstein") to perfection esp. in quick succession as a native/veteran German speaker would while forming typical sentences.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Forza Motorsport/Horizon has the "z" in Forza like in "pizza" or the greek "ts". A deaf sound, you shouldn't hear it in your head.

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
Mario is pretty clear and cut.

He says it MAH-rio here, which is more in line with how I pronounce it (I'm British). Was always surprised when I was younger and I first heard that most Americans pronounce it MAR-rio.

Not saying either pronunciation is wrong. But MAR-rio still sounds weird to me to say out loud.

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, he yells "shoryuken" out loud in-game a lot, but never says "I'm Ryu"

Also "Ghost of Tsushima" vs "Ghosts of Tsushima"
:P
That was my complaint.
also the "tsu" seems to be particularly hard for some english speaking people
Even the game would change how its pronounced so I really don't know which it is.
I don't really have an issue of mispronunciations of words in another language, Tsushima in particular isn't exactly intuitive to those who don't already know how to pronounce that particular sound in Japanese.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
italian? igloo? interesting? incremental? anything with the prefix in~ or il~ (illogical, illuminate) basically :D
Yeah, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Greek
In my head that's how I had to break it down when Alex (Dictator) was pronouncing it (compared to how John and Richard pronounce it now). "Vuh" is an Open "o" in my head. The lack of accents for a given letter in English alphabet, makes it difficult at times to convey how exactly vowels sound within a word. Furthermore, as was recently brought to my attention that much like English, German pronunciation varies within Germany itself. So regional variation notwithstanding, trying to mimic how Alex says the word was comparatively harder for me than how Richard and John now try to pronounce it.

As someone who got started learning German last year (w/o much external aid) intermittently, I have found certain words quite difficult to pronounce (granted they were not "Wolfenstein") to perfection esp. in quick succession as a native/veteran German speaker would while forming typical sentences.
Well, the standard german pronunciation is straightforward. Regarding the dialects, the Bavarian dialect comes to my mind. For example, Wolf becomes Woif.
I really would suggest a teacher or a native speaker when the occasion allows for it.

German is a language full of consonant clusters, which can be really tricky. Yet, I don't think English is the easiest language to pronounce. Most foreign students start to learn it at a young age, so are used to it. I remember struggling with the word refrigerator in English class. Also, words with the ending -tibility, where I oftentimes pronounced too many i or would forget some lol. Sixth, squirrel, words with wr- or whole sentences where too many words begin with th-sounds knot my knot.

Du schaffst das schon, toi toi toi.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Maybe it's because I m french, but I pronouce most of them right. I don't even understand how people fail to say Ryu right when the games, anime, movie spell it for you...
French and japanese share many sounds - and just by reading phonetically a japanese name or word, you can get it right most of the time.

Americans are usually trying to read things in an english way and from what I gathered with multiple threads on this forum, are usually very far from the original foreign pronunciation.

Hence the infamous ubisoft, mario or Tidus threads.