• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
so i've seen many people repeating the same about how the MP in TF2 is not as good as 1.
Can someone elaborate on why it wasn't as good?

I play TF2 daily and it's an amazing experience.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
so i've seen many people repeating the same about how the MP in TF2 is not as good as 1.

The cat and mouse gameplay is better in 1, as is the movement and the AI. 2 is still a great game but didn't have the same longevity for me.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
i loved the first Titanfall. I like the second one too, but the first one felt very special to me. The mech mobility felt awesome and I'm not sure if it's the TTK or something, but I enjoyed the encounters with other pilots in the first game more as well.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
The cat and mouse gameplay is better in 1, as is the movement and the AI. 2 is still a great game but didn't have the same longevity for me.

What makes the movement better? I read a long time ago that the maps design of 2 would make it there was less parkour and that rubbed fans the wrong way but that's all i heard about it.

And if it's not asking too much, how was the cat and mouse gameplay betteR?

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
What makes the movement better? I read a long time ago that the maps design of 2 would make it there was less parkour and that rubbed fans the wrong way but that's all i heard about it.

Map design was a big part of it, yeah. As an earlier post mentioned, the movement in 2 was also heavier so you weren't able to get the same momentum going.

So, in addition to the map design not being as conducive to the cat/mouse dynamic, it has to do with the Titans themselves as well as a gameplay change. The Titans in 2 are almost like hero characters in other shooters, whereas the Titans in 1 were based on a chassis. You had light/medium/heavy and you customized from there. I preferred the system in 1.

As the gameplay video in the OP shows, you could also hang onto a Titan for much longer unloading clips into it instead of the canned animation of jumping on and loading a grenade in. It was much, much more satisfying.

And I really can't say enough about the AI changes. In 2, the AI drops at predetermined points and gets boring very quickly, whereas in 1 it was more dynamic.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quite possibly one of the best multiplayer games ever made. IMO Titanfall 1 was superior to Titanfall 2 in almost every way. (Except the campaign, Titanfall 2 did such a great job with it.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Movement isn't an issue in Tf2. But the maps are considerably worse.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
An incredible franchise. TF2 is one of the best games of the generation considering the total package of SP and MP.

But its future couldn't be less clear. I can't tell if Apex's success is going to kill any future traditional TF entries, or if its success will instead give Respawn the security to do another TF. Ugh.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

2 is a good game. I should preface this considering how much I bash it compared to 1 but I'll summarize a shortly while I eat some cookies in between Dmc5 sessions

The maps/levels. Tf1 had some of the best fucking maps Ive ever played in any mp game. Tf2 has dog shit maps that follow the 3 lane model ala cod. Seriously it blows my mind the level of quality between the two games, its like the second game was made by an entirely different team.

Titans were nerfed to fucking hell in titanfall 2 and while they had more models that could do a lot more like fly and have swords, customization with them was completely nerfed as now every titan had their own preset loadout while in titanfall 1 you could mix and match abilities, weapons, etc. Titans also had regen shields in 1 which meant they lasted longer than in 2. The gameplay with the titans also was heavily nerfed, whereas before you could use all your abilities all at the same time, in 2 they relegated you to only being able to use one at a time. So while in 1 you could reload your primary gun while using a rocket salvo to continue pumping out dps, 2 forced you to pick and choose which one you want to do. Rodeoing was another area that was fundamentally altered for the worse. Before you could jump on titans and do damage directly to their health instead of their shields, and then pilots would have to play a game of cat and mouse or equip electric smoke- it created this fun interplay. In 2 you jump on a titan, go into an animation, then automatically jump off with a battery. I don't hate the battery mechanic as it can be used to recharge other titans' shields but they should have at the least given you the option to either rodeo like in 1 OR go for the battery play.

Those are my main complaints and theyre all pretty significant changes that watered down the titanfall experience from the first game. Its clear they wanted to make it apply to a broader audience which I get, but in the process they just made it worse in so many ways that I genuinely get angry playing 2 because I can't stop thinking about how much better the first game really is.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I've finally come to terms with the fact that Titanfall 1 is the best game ever made.

My heart says no.

But it also says yes.

The maps are uniformly worse. You hear people throw around "swiss cheese" a lot in reference to the design of the TF1 maps and you can see it in all the throwback maps from TF1 that they brought back for 2(Angel City/Rise/Relic/Colony). Those maps are chock-full of multiple windows and entryways that allow you to dip into and out of almost all of the major buildings from numerous angles. By contrast, the base Titanfall 2 maps have very narrow, guided paths where there's more of an emphasis on fat lanes and less ducking in and out of individual buildings. It's what gives Titanfall 1 that cat-and-mouse vibe that ryseing mentioned and it really kills a lot of your ability to out-maneuver someone that's chasing you by faking them out since the TF2 maps don't have the same sort of structured entryways/exits that allow you to confuse someone the way you could in TF1 maps.

One of the Titanfall devs has basically been on record that it was the result of them having to juggle designing single player and multiplayer levels at once for the first time, and sure enough, they got way closer to nailing the design language of TF1 with Glitch. That map rules in a way that none of the original, launch maps do.

(I also don't care for the fact that they took away custom Titan loadouts)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to play it more but as I explained in this thread, Respawn and EA let the game die on PC recently, because of a single hacker that they can't be bothered to deal with: https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...tanfall-players-from-playing-the-game.101189/
A few news outlets have covered it and linked to my thread, I've also contacted Kotaku because the only way there's a chance Respawn would deal with it is if there's enough noise and outrage.
Keep in mind that it's a game that is still sold at full price and that no one can play anymore.

So, I'm pretty pissed off because I really wanted to get into it and I loved the few minutes I managed to play before getting kicked out by the hacker.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came real close to pulling the trigger and buying an Xbox when this was coming out.

Hearing the folks behind COD4 we're making a sci-fi FPS was music to my ears

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
It's a shame that TF1 was exclusive to Xbox. I'm pretty confident that the series would have been huge had it been on PS4.

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
That site only lists PC numbers for Titanfall 1.
click on More:
ieHGYyV.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The only multiplayer game this generation that I've truly enjoyed. It was special and magical.

Which makes the colossal disappointment and utter mess and betrayal that was Titanfall 2 sting even more.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The greatest multiplayer shooter of all time.

Respawn spent 2 years trying to make the multiplayer come somewhat close to reaching the greatness of the original and couldn't get there.

Titanfall Definitive Edition please DKo5

Titanfall 2 Campaign combined with Titanfall 1 Mutliplayer in one package. Perfection.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Xbox wasn't even doing well in 2014, and the game is dead now. It wasn't enough
Well, as Titanfall 2 is dead too and it launched on PS4 so I dont understand your point.

Back on topic, the first Titanfall ( for me) is the best MP shooter of this generation. Loved and hyped by the first trailers I bought the Collectors edition with the amazing figure, artbook and some other things.
Loved the multiplayer, reached Generation 10 and, when the update of the rank system appeared, I even reached Diamond status. The movement, the gunplay, the powerful titans, the first person executions, the rodeos, the music, the general dialogues and phrases of the grunts when they are fighting or spotting you, and the "all-war" atmosphere was fantastic.

For me Titanfall 2 was a huge let down with its multiplayer but a nice surprise with its single player. As a fan of the saga I am waiting for more Titanfall to drop and enjoying Apex Legends.
(Would love to play TF1 on Xbox One but its very difficult to find a match)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A fantastic shooter that only got better with a more fleshed out sequel. Hopefully TF3 appears and Respawn are not just an Apex factory. As good as Apex is, it ain't no Titanfall.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Absolutely loved Titanfall 1 MP, punching my way with Ogre and then Nuclear Ejection was the bomb (quite literally!).

Shame I didn't get into Titanfall 2's multiplayer, just didn't feel the same without custom loadouts for the Titans and with those wide-open maps.

They just need to add slide into Titanfall 1 and I'd be set (hint hint Respawn :P)...

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Probably my favorite multiplayer experience 1 and 2
Everything was perfect and it worked perfectly. A part of me was sad that Apex Legends was made instead of Titanfall 3 since i haven't gotten into Apex but here's to the future!

Oct 27, 2017
1.As people have mentioned, Titanfall 1 felt like a war zone. The AI weren't in obvious places, there were buildings and books to hide in, you could really escape from a situation of somebody was chasing you. Throw on invisibility and bounce around. It was a special experience

TF2 felt like a step back from that and closer to a COD experience.

2. Titan customization was much better in 1. You could make what you wanted and not have a hero Titan that had things you never use

3. The overall look and art style of 1 drastically changed in TF2 and Apex. If you look at the TF1 pilots and gun skins, they look and feel weight. In 2, things just looked off and weird. A wingman was now a small thing where it used to be a hand cannon

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I bet TF3 ends up going to Frostbite engine. Anthem's detail on Javelins makes me think that Titanfall Titans will look crazy detailed.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall had me for about 20 hours before I felt I'd seen everything it had to offer.

Titanfall 2, however, kept me coming back. I'm not entirely sure why.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
just watched some of my old Titanfall clips... the memories.
When Pilots were fast and Titans were beasts :')

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
This game was right up there with Halo 2 for me. One of the best MP experiences I have had and think about it quite often.

Excellent series.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
That means there's only two months until the 5th anniversary of EA and Respawn squandering any momentum for the franchise by strangling their fledgling multiplayer community in the crib.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many hours in this game. It's one of my favorite multiplayer experiences of the last decade. A ton of great memories with Titanfall.

Oct 31, 2017
The original Titanfall might be simultaneously one of the absolute greatest video games of all time, while also being one of the most criminally underrated, underappreciated, and misunderstood video games of all time.

I liked the post earlier describing playing Titanfall being almost as if the player is "in a dreamlike state", as that's a good description. Titanfall's sense of game feel and flow is pretty much unparalleled, even to this day I think.

When you get into the game and start firing on all cylinders, both figuratively and literally, the experience of just chaining one action to the next is exhilarating.

Oct 26, 2017
I just reinstalled and started playing Titanfall 2 again. It is a shame the community is small, but damn, I am having fun all over again. I really hope we get a part 3.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's my game of the generation, easily ! I love Titanfall so much. Hopefully the franchise is not dead because i absolutely want more. Bought an Xbox One just for Titanfall 1, double dipped Titanfall 2 on both PS4 and Xbox One... amazing game and sadly way too underrated.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'd never played a Titanfall game before last weekend but as I've become a massive Apex fan it though I'd give TF2 a go as it's on EA:Access. Have to say it's probably the best SP shooter campaign I've played and years. fookin brilliant.