• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Real or not, what did Titanfall 2 to deserve this constant shitshow?

Oct 25, 2017
All that's certain for now is that the game will crash after entering the multiplayer menu, and all versions are affected. The whole "don't play the game it's dangerous" thing seems like bullshit.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Any buffer overflow or stack smash could result in arbitrary code being executed, so I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand. The crash indicates such a thing is possible. That said, it doesn't mean there's a working exploit, just that there could be.

Aug 30, 2020
Reading the description we have so far, it sounds like the worst that is likely to happen is someone could write a virus to your PC internal storage. How are they going to run that buffer out of the heap into program code reliably, unless the game is even more broken than the current description (which is possible)?

Buffer overflows are hard to exploit.

Quick, someone crack the PS5 and XSn so EA can authorize a patch.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still don't understand why Titanfall of all franchises is getting hammered like this. Fucking sucks.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at all these people liking this comment.

This makes no sense. The entire twitter splinter thread I'm in here is happening because we are discussing how the claim is that this affects console. And this guy goes "hey, look, proof that it says it affects console!"

Yeah no shit sherlock if I didn't know that they said it affects console, this entire conversation couldn't have happened. So obviously I don't mean that

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I've been waiting for something like to happen so I can finally give the game a try.

Jul 26, 2018
As a Titanfall player and streamer myself, this is really a disappointing day... it's hard to say if this is real or not atm but as for myself, better safe than sorry.

I was streaming the game on Twitch, and a bunch of people came to my stream and told me to uninstall the game completely due to this. This is not a shocker at all.. especially what TF2 has been going through in the past few months. Tons of drama, lack of fixes, lack of communication from respawn, etc.

This always boggles my mind... I don't understand why Respawn hasn't really stepped up their game when it comes to fixing this game. I THINK... they only have 2 devs working on TF2 since July.

Hate to say it.. but honestly, I truly think Respawn just doesn't give a shit when it comes to supporting their older games. They didn't support Titanfall 1... and now Titanfall 2. Also read somewhere that some of the devs actually worked with IW on MW2. Once MW2 got infested with hackers, they didn't even bother to fix the game....

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
The Titanfall franchise deserves so much better. The first game's multiplayer and the second game's single player are fantastic and among the best in the genre.
Can I ask why do you accuse me?
nGMrD.gif

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Sad. I reinstalled Titanfall 2 this week on series x and although it took a bit to get a game I still love the gameplay and hate we're not getting another one soon.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
According to the reddit they just released a patch some hours ago and now this. At this point I can imagine the devs don't have much desire to fix anything if you have "fans" actively working against you.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
it'd be cool if the servers were housed within a mech and the mech was turning on it's creators

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Does this have any connection with the hacker/hackers that have been making tf1 and tf2 unplayable across all platforms the last few years? And could addressing this issue fix that issue or is the plug more likely to get pulled all together?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Remote Code Execution exploits? In the Source Engine? Inconceivable, no such thing has ever been done before.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Titanfall community really hates Titanfall. To the point of spreading lies to create fear and not have people play the games they're supposed to enjoy.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me some random kids on Discord had no idea what they were talking about? I'm shocked

Oct 28, 2017
This looks like a misinformation campaign to get everyone not play the game. (Especially the BS about it affecting consoles as a whole)

Wouldn't blocking the game on firewall let you play the SP without issues?

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You mean to tell me some random kids on Discord had no idea what they were talking about? I'm shocked
I mean, buffer overflows can lead to serious stuff, but usernames typically have character limits that are hilariously low, so it's pretty darn tough to do anything malicious beyond crash it. Message of the days, however, can be MUCH larger.

(Of course, that's assuming normal systems. Lord knows anything is possible)

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a misinformation campaign to get everyone not play the game. (Especially the BS about it affecting consoles as a whole)

Wouldn't blocking the game on firewall let you play the SP without issues?
It was confirmed to be bullshit before you posted.

The crashing is real though and it affects consoles as well, so multiplayer is not playable at all right now. The crash only occurs after you enter the multiplayer menu so you can play the SP campaign with no issue. No messing with firewalls required.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I thought the save Titanfall account in the OP turned out to be the people hacking the game in the first place?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
In Respawn shoes I would just close the Titanfall 1 and 2 servers, it's giving them more headache then benefits, and I say this as an huge fan of the series but yeah, this crap is just too much, especially if you have to debunk stuff ppl makes up now and then or fight hackers and stuff.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Define "crash" the game...because the Titanfall 1 and Titanfall 2 communities have been complaining about such an exploit for years now with those complaints falling on def ears. Is this new crash exploit different from the exploit that has been preventing people from playing the game across several platform for the past few months?

The Titanfall community really hates Titanfall. To the point of spreading lies to create fear and not have people play the games they're supposed to enjoy.
I don't understand how one arrives at this conclusion. Titanfall players have literally been shouting into what appears to be a void for that last few months trying to get anyone to acknowledge major problems with the games online infastructure. I don't even play the game and im not really a part of the community. Only reason i know about this whole situation is because the game recently became unplayable for my girlfriend on xbox one and i looked into fixing it for her only to find out it was a group of hackers fucking with the game. My girlfriend isn't a hardcore gamer by any stretch of the imagination and TF2 multiplayer was one of the few games she like to hop into from time to time (she'd play maybe a couple hoursevery other week).

I feel like EA/Respawn have an obligation to address these issues if they are going to continue to sell the games....especially when one considers the fact that TF1 didn't even have an offline campaign and they still market TF2 as having online multiplayer.

I just want to be able to tell my gf she shouldn't have any issues on TF2 anymore. She hasn't been able to play for the last 2 months for more than like 2-3 minutes; after that her and everyone elses ping in the server goes up to a billion and shes forced to hard close the game. Nothing in that tweet acknowleding a "crash exploit" has me confident that the issues are actually going to get addressed. Seems like they are just trying to sweep this whole thing under the rug again by undermining it as nothing to worry about just a simple crash exploit, nothing to see here. The sad part is seems like alot of people are eating that shit right up.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how one arrives at this conclusion. Titanfall players have literally been shouting into what appears to be a void for that last few months trying to get anyone to acknowledge major problems with the games online infastructure. I don't even play the game and im not really a part of the community. Only reason i know about this whole situation is because the game recently became unplayable for my girlfriend on xbox one and i looked into fixing it for her only to find out it was a group of hackers fucking with the game. My girlfriend isn't a hardcore gamer by any stretch of the imagination and TF2 multiplayer was one of the few games she like to hop into from time to time (she'd play maybe a couple hoursevery other week).

I feel like EA/Respawn have an obligation to address these issues if they are going to continue to sell the games....especially when one considers the fact that TF1 didn't even have an offline campaign and they still market TF2 as having online multiplayer.

I just want to be able to tell my gf she shouldn't have any issues on TF2 anymore. She hasn't been able to play for the last 2 months for more than like 2-3 minutes; after that her and everyone elses ping in the server goes up to a billion and shes forced to hard close the game. Nothing in that tweet acknowleding a "crash exploit" has me confident that the issues are actually going to get addressed. Seems like they are just trying to sweep this whole thing under the rug again by undermining it as nothing to worry about just a simple crash exploit, nothing to see here. The sad part is seems like alot of people are eating that shit right up.
The hacker you're talking about was by someone who was glorified by the community because he was doing the whole "I know how to fix with just a few lines of code" and everyone believed him. Turned out he was the hacker with a specific goal of trying to get full control of the game's source code to recreate a canceled game called Titanfall Online.

And this issue now was about another member of the community trying to spread fear so that everyone would uninstall the game because every player on every platform could be hacked. Turns out that, again, it was not true.

Prominent members of the Titanfall community are actively trying to get people to not play the games because of their weird goals. That's how I arrived at that conclusion.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

what a shitshow this part of the community is. hackers and liars. and fucking idiots.

yes, titanfall deserves better.
no, this is not the way.
grow tf up.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The hacker you're talking about was by someone who was glorified by the community because he was doing the whole "I know how to fix with just a few lines of code" and everyone believed him. Turned out he was the hacker with a specific goal of trying to get full control of the game's source code to recreate a canceled game called Titanfall Online.

And this issue now was about another member of the community trying to spread fear so that everyone would uninstall the game because every player on every platform could be hacked. Turns out that, again, it was not true.

Prominent members of the Titanfall community are actively trying to get people to not play the games because of their weird goals. That's how I arrived at that conclusion.

Based on the story you just presented I still don't understand how you can paint anybody but the hackers and the developer/publisher (respawn/EA) in a negative light.... essentially what your saying is hacker exploits game makes it unplayable and developers and publishers do nothing to resolve it.... community becomes so desperate for support they unknowingly turn to the very hacker causing many of their problems. Shenanigans ensue..game becomes even more unplayable...various members of the community start resorting to new lows (i.e. misinformation campaigns) in desperate attempts to shed more light on the actual issues...with that issue being, a hacker has been making tf1 and tf2 unplayable for months now and ea/respawn have done nothing and have barely even acknowledged any issues until now...seems like alot of this could have been avoided if respawn/EA addressed the initial issues months ago rather than continue to refuse to acknowledge it.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the story you just presented I still don't understand how you can paint anybody but the hackers and the developer/publisher (respawn/EA) in a negative light.... essentially what your saying is hacker exploits game makes it unplayable and developers and publishers do nothing to resolve it.... community becomes so desperate for support they unknowingly turn to the very hacker causing many of their problems. Shenanigans ensue..game becomes even more unplayable...various members of the community start resorting to new lows (i.e. misinformation campaigns) in desperate attempts to shed more light on the actual issues...with that issue being, a hacker has been making tf1 and tf2 unplayable for months now and ea/respawn have done nothing and have barely even acknowledged any issues until now...seems like alot of this could have been avoided if respawn/EA addressed the initial issues months ago rather than continue to refuse to acknowledge it.
I don't think "various members of the community start resorting to new lows (i.e. misinformation campaigns)" is a good thing no matter what their goals are. But we can agree to disagree.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think "various members of the community start resorting to new lows (i.e. misinformation campaigns)" is a good thing no matter what their goals are. But we can agree to disagree.
I never argued it was a good thing, infact that's why its referred to as a "low"... just pointing out how many of those people are actually victims themselves, and the larger issue (i.e.EA/Respawn doing nothing to fix the game for months and barely even acknowledging the existence of the issue until now).

Despite how you might feel IMO as an outside observer who has for the past few months only been following the situation for my girlfriend in the hopes that she might one day be able to play again without issue; this has been the closest I have felt to ea/respawn actually acknowledging an issue exists. What results from that acknowledgement is still up for debate...likely nothing...but it's a step in the right direction imo, its unfortunate that it came as a result of actions in bad faith, but that speaks to the environment/community EA/respawn is fostering with their lack of communication. At the end of the day the only people to blame are ea and respawn imo.