• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if EA is looking to move away from Origin now? It can't be cheap. And they must have concluded it wasn't worthwhile.

How to retire it though without everyone losing their purchases, that's the question.
No, the strategy is simply to put out games in front of as many people as possible so they can buy them where they chose to. Origin, Steam, Epic and elsewhere.

You'll still need to link an EA account up where ever you go though, that will not start to go away.

It may become optional in places but ultimately it's the back bone for EA's cross platform play environment which is only getting more and more widespread and requested from communities of players.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Not that blindly wanting everything in one spot and stubbornly sticking to that is much better.

You have to be blind, deaf and lacking critical thinking skills to not notice the number of features one platform has over another.

If you can use a Ferrari for free why drive a Subaru?

I shouldn't have to say this despite defending Origin and Epic Games store in the past. Steam has their advantages and enormous ones. These other stores despite not offering much are still ok to exist because the companies owning them have to try to serve their own interests.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I wonder if EA is looking to move away from Origin now? It can't be cheap. And they must have concluded it wasn't worthwhile.

How to retire it though without everyone losing their purchases, that's the question.

Origin is EA defacto online platform, they ain't going to get rid of it when they use its backborne to run their multiplayer games.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Glad to see titanfall 2 get a second wind. Maybe enough people will continue to jump back in or check it out for the first time that EA/Respawn will consider making a TF3.

I think alot of people who were interessted back then but decided to get either BF1 or CoD IW now decided to give it a try. Its one of the best shooters this gen but was destroyed by it release date. I would almost consider this the proper release if the player count is still rising. lol

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think alot of people who were interessted back then but decided to get either BF1 or CoD IW now decided to give it a try. Its one of the best shooters this gen but was destroyed by it release date. I would almost consider this the proper release if the player count is still rising. lol
Hopefully it maintains it, but happy now people are going to get to try the SP story

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to re-install and fire this back up. Titanfall 2 was the last FPS I was really into. There's no point in buying this on Steam if I already own on Origin, right? It's just going to launch through Origin anyway?

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Game is fun but the lag is horrendous, it's basically unplayable, I don't think their servers were ready for all those players.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
WELP, I guess I'm back in the saddle again.

Giddy up, Ronin!

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Titanfall MP (1 and 2) will never sustain a playerbase.
The problem has never been "marketing", or "release window", or any of the other excuses the fanbase makes up.

The problem has ALWAYS been gameplay design, specifically around the mobility options and information entropy.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Titanfall MP (1 and 2) will never sustain a playerbase.
The problem has never been "marketing", or "release window", or any of the other excuses the fanbase makes up.

The problem has ALWAYS been gameplay design, specifically around the mobility options and information entropy.
If you have time (and the inclination), I'd love it for you to elaborate on your thoughts. What design issues do you think hold back the mulitplayer?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
e91cd0a2dedae603a514bb3570953cba.png
Where are you getting this stat from?

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
If you have time (and the inclination), I'd love it for you to elaborate on your thoughts. What design issues do you think hold back the mulitplayer?
Id like to know too.
The mobility in this game is what sets it apart from all the other shooters. And it feels great in that aspect. I ususally not into sci-fi shooters but this game nails it. You feel satisfied in so many moments.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I remember map hack and pilot sentry turrets being really annoying when spammed by everyone on the enemy team

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Id like to know too.
The mobility in this game is what sets it apart from all the other shooters. And it feels great in that aspect. I ususally not into sci-fi shooters but this game nails it. You feel satisfied in so many moments.
Yeah, it boils down to the mobility being too high. This creates a cascade of issues, the worst of which is positioning being less predictable--basically when someone disappears around a corner, the multitude of mobility options means that you cannot reasonably anticipate their actions if they are sufficiently skilled. Respawn knows this, which is why each successive game they build cuts down more and more on the mobility options--basically to curate the decision tree and make it more manageable.

Side note, I enjoy the TF series way more than ApeLeg for the mobility as well, but unfortunately enjoyment doesn't always translate to better performance.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Great news, the campaign in Titanfall 2 is legit one of the BEST fps campaigns I've ever played.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it boils down to the mobility being too high. This creates a cascade of issues, the worst of which is positioning being less predictable--basically when someone disappears around a corner, the multitude of mobility options means that you cannot reasonably anticipate their actions if they are sufficiently skilled. Respawn knows this, which is why each successive game they build cuts down more and more on the mobility options--basically to curate the decision tree and make it more manageable.

Side note, I enjoy the TF series way more than ApeLeg for the mobility as well, but unfortunately enjoyment doesn't always translate to better performance.

Interesting.

But when I just look at it from the outside, isn't the mobility you have as a pilot the equilizer against a titan? Like when I played it at launch and TF1 every map was two maps in one, a pilot map and a titan map layered into one map. So you always knew which lines a pilot would take and where the Titans would fight. Now I do agree that the mobility raises the skill ceiling but I don't think it's super unpredictable.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018

That makes sense. You won't really enjoy a game where you can't predict the position of the opponent. I wonder if there's a way to allow high mobility and yet keep predictability in the game. Maybe make each player leave long trail of glowing particles? Good players will still be able to kite opponents, but opponents will also have the opportunity to chase a player successfully.

Or maybe make each player have a self-recharging ability that shows enemy players even behind walls and objects? The skill here would come from managing this ability. Since it would take time to charge, you'd have to know when to use it.

I'm just throwing out ideas. Maybe Respawn considered all of these and rejected them. Oh well. Hopefully they figure this puzzle out someday. maybe with Titanfall 3.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is......not that impressive.
I don't know why y'all are acting like it is.

The fact that the game can be purchased for as little at 5 bucks for several years and the playerbase was ten times lower and only when the Steam version was released at a higher price than usual and we saw a big increase in the playerbase.

Yes, not impressive at all.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017

I second this. If someone disappears around a corner they could be literally anywhere on the map! Especially those Batman rejects with their stupid grappling hook!!

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
The mobility and titan gameplay are the core of what makes titanfall 2 so fun for me, and part of why I bounced so hard off of Apex. Learning the little maneuvers, wall running off of light poles for the verticality and momentum, slide hopping, finding little back entrances to all of the areas on different maps, and learning the most common movement for most players in order to lead shots or anticipate where they'll show up after they disappear into that building is really rewarding. There will always be those guys who can slide hop across the map in 5 seconds while landing quickscope headshots with the kraber, but for everything else it's pretty fun. It's just very different from the usual FPS game where everyone is glued to the ground and feel like they're running through molasses.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah more or less my thoughts, Joe Callo'Duty ain't gonna stick around for a game where the skill ceiling is "players don't touch the ground and headshot you while moving 200mph".

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I played a few games last night, about to hop in now.

Forgot how much I loved this game. Would have it permanently installed if the file size was a bit smaller. My laptop only has so much space ;_;

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this game semi-regularly for years and I still suck ass lol.

Granted I suck ass at all games but still.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

Titanfall is similar to Tribes and Quake/Unreal. Movement is god, not shooting.

Reality is, majority of the FPS player base do no like these style shooters anymore. They are unfriendly and have a higher skill ceiling. They force a player to prioritize a completely different set skills than what they play with in COD, BF, Halo, etc. It creates a cycle of having a highly skilled, but small community. Now is the best time to jump it, since you'll be introduced to a load of new players just like yourself.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
So if I ran the game at max with an RTX 2080, I would often hit 20 to 30 frames... what the fuck is going on?