• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
For my taste, Titanfall 1 MP is dramatically better than Titanfall 2 MP. The underlying map design in TF2 really doesn't help, but I think even the game design itself is a step back, and just fundamentally not fun. TF1 is one of my favorite multiplayer titles right up to this day. TF2's campaign is one of the best story modes, so it's not like the game doesn't earn its keep.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can you really say a game isn't that good after playing it for 350 hours?

That's not me playing some kind of 'gotcha!' card, I'm genuinely curious as it just sounds like a hell of a lot of time playing a game you think isn't that good?

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend group is getting into this game recently, gonna try it out.

Sentient6

Jan 31, 2020
It may be an unpopular opinion, but in my opinion Titanfall 2 is definitely better without Titan, pilot vs pilot mode was the best mode.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry I do not agree at all. There are wrong opinions.

Movement is one of the most important gameplay aspects of this game. It's very easy to fight Titans as a Pilot using your movement. You can hide in interiors, create distractions and chip away at their health until they're vulnerable. Some Titans are better at fighting Pilots and some aren't. In the end it all comes down to player experience. I have been playing TF2 since 2016 and I never thought the PvT was imbalanced.

Ion has a hitscan laserbeam. It literally DOES NOT MATTER how good the enemy pilot is. The hitscan laser beam does not care how fast you are, how you take angles. The only thing that matters is how good of a shot I am with Ion, that's it. Nothing else. If it hits, it hits instantly. Saying things like 'just play around it' are only as valuable as your opponent is poor. I think that's a scenario where things are pretty skewed in the Titan's favour if you're good in your Titan.

It's generally okay to make Titans feel powerful though. It's not specifically that that I have an issue with. It's supposed to be a powerful mechanic. But I just think the game would be better if some of those instant telegraphed kills were tuned down. If someone instantly kills a pilot it should be at least a well-lead shot (see discussion about hitscans vs projectiles above) rather someone that simply aimed at them without having to factor in their movement.

That and some of the maps interact with the balance a lot. Like if you take homestead for instance. It's easy to say Titan's aren't overpowered, but if you have to play the interior to avoid an enemy Titan that limits your movement to maybe 20% of the entire map. And the objective happens to be outside then that's pretty much a guaranteed lost objective (the AI in bounty hunt spawn in that open space, so if you don't have a Titan at that stage good luck).

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is that I played a ton of TF1 and bounced off TF2 pretty quick. There are a lot of complicated reasons behind that and it's not entirely the game's fault, but it certainly didn't grab me from the jump like the first game did.

Yueezy

Dec 12, 2020
I think it was not that frustrating in terms of balance and maps. I agree with the snowball aspect but it really comes down to player's skill in the end. I think better matchmaking would be a better solution not nerfing titans.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
TF1 has better multiplayer but I wouldn't say 2 is that big of a step down. It's still great. I fell off it early but do go back from time to time, and that was not really the games fault.

Echoing a lot of thoughts in the thread, I agree map design is not the best. It feels pretty noticeable when you're playing an old TF1 map brought across compared with an original TF2 one.

And the titan's are weirdly balanced for me, but not in the same way as OP, though im probably a lot worse than you. I know a few classes are meant to be glass cannons but as soon as you're a lone titan surrounded by enemy pilots I feel like you can get put down super easily. But then as soon as there's multiple titans you can just stomp them. There's gotta be a middle ground there somewhere.

So it terms of what I'd like in 3 (please let it happen EA)
  • Better balancing.
  • Map design more similar to 1.
  • More ways for pilots to interact with titans, rodeoing is cool but is limited and pretty easy to stop. Idk, maybe have more breakable parts, a special weapon that can destabilise the legs, that sort of thing.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
TF2 > TF1 so much IMO. Just re-downloaded both on xbox this past week to test out 120hz modes and I was just telling my brother how much better TF2 feels in every category.. (Also attrition was not the flagship mode in tf2)

If TF2 gameplay/mechanics were added into TF1 maps/modes... it could be ultimate though

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TF2 has such a fantastic campaign, but yeah the downfall in the MP is bad.. I have like reaaaally many hours in TF1 but I don't think I have played more than 50 matvhes in TF2, the AI system, Titan System and god the maps.. the maps are so bad in TF2

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I found the Titans to be super janky and the Pilot vs Titans weren't as fun.

The Pilot vs Pilot gameplay though, that's where its at. The game just felt so good and smooth, the only console first person shooter that felt good with controller for me, you could be Spider-man with guns if you got the hang of the grappling hook.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The original game was far superior, to the point the sequel's MP almost felt like a cheap knock-off. Titan Vs Pilot in the original was really good, both ways.

Massive step backwards from a game that only needed to be built upon.

Jul 26, 2018
As a TF vet, I feel you. Yet I still enjoy the game to this day due to how enjoyable it is from getting easy kills by using a Titan or depending on how good you are. Yet, here's some of my sample opinions with the game...

-melee system SUCKS! Either remove it from TF3, or fucking fix it. This has to be the most frustrating issue in my experience and i'm surprised you haven't really mentioned it. I even seen enemy player melee's not working on me and I yell "that was supposed to kill me!".

-SMG's are just OP. Barely no recoil and high TTK. Yet, I love them lol. They need a heavy nerf for TF3.

-Some gadgets like the turret or smart pistols are just OP. I find it funny how many bash on the SP, yet they usually use those pilot turrets themselves. So I just use the SP because why the fuck not.

-Personally, I really never looked deep into the maps. I really like how most of them are medium size and usually filled with action At least it's not COD level bad.

-No player kills AI's? Who the hecc you've been playing with? For me, killing AI's is a MUST! Maybe it's a PC thing? I see AI's getting killed EVERYWHERE.

-Surprise there's a big praise for PVP. Personally I hate it because that's where the sweaty players are usually mostly playing especially Twitch streamers. They just use the only top weapons (mostly SMG's), and bam there's getting nearly 30 kills per round. I rather deal with getting smushed by a Titan multiple times than sweaty SMG's players. Again, maybe it's just a PC thing. I've instantly noticed how on Xbox, more players uses that OP LMG (forgot what's it called) meanwhile on PC, no one uses it.. hahah.

As for the pilot vs titan combat, I understand that it's not for many especially my friends. Yet in my experience, I really had no issue with the combat since I know i'm able to get a chance to use my own titan and stack kills. Usually I meet up with good titan players and get killed a bunch of times while trying to kill them. Yet surprisingly, I find it fun to keep dying over and over just to get that titan kill and tons of EP for me to get many own titan. If you don't care about your KD, maybe you will have more fun.. and thank god it doesn't show your KD in matches. I have a feeling more players would avoid killing titans. Yet it's shocking how this is the ONLY game where I fine it fine to get killed multiple times because I know I will get a chance with my own Titan.

I still think Attrition is the best and most fun game mode in the game. It's what Titanfall is meant to be. As for PVP, again imo, it's just a COD like sweat match based in my experience.

Overall, I feel that Titanfall just isn't for everybody. There's a reason why it dropped from 20K players to just 2K in a few days after the Steam release lolololololol.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
It's been a very long time now but i regenerated 10 times or whatever the maximum is back in the day and my go to strategy was actually killing the ai instead of pilots. Specifically i think you could give up a powerful ability slot on your loadout in order to take a scope that can highlight enemies, then id just rush to whatever spot overlooks the middle area where the first couple drop pods shit ai into each other and toss out my smoke grenades, then id use my lmg that can see through the smoke to obliterate the entire ai wave and usually a pilot or 2, followed by an extremely early titan call with the extra battery perk to start very very far ahead.

You did absolutely call out my titan of choice though. The ion laser has a hitbox wide as a city bus, consistently getting 30-60 seconds of free pilot hunting with that thing was all it usually took to swing the momentum of a match permanently.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I enjoyed first one way more than the second, but I didn't play for long, so I'm not sure that this impression is correct:

Do anyone else felt like TF1 gameplay loop was relatively "pure", but TF2 added way too many gameplay mechanics to it's multiplayer making it confusing, overcomplicated and unbalanced?

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play much of the original TF. I played at least 400 hours of TF2. I loved it so damn muchh.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
TF|2 is still one of the games I remember putting a ton of hours into, it's an absolute blast to group up with a friend or two and charge into the fray. There are definitely problems, with maps like Homestead punishing people who try to use the movement system instead of just sit in windows sniping people with SMGs, but maps like War Games or Dry Dock have a great setup that plays to the game's advantages, and I honestly really like Complex - it has the obvious 3 lane setup that titans are stuck in, but there's a ton of side passages for pilots to dash through, and they can even hop across the rafters or over the top of the roof to get around (if you're quick enough ;) ). Most importantly, all of the walls are flat, so you can actually wall run without randomly getting kicked off by a jutting rock or something small like that.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Campaign was obviously better than the chaos of the online only entry title.

However, the mp didn't hold me as long. Not sure why, but 2 didn't have the same map or gameplay loop, balance or design.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
It definitely ain't a straight shot, 2 brought some good bits to the table but 1 I think still has the edge, especially the maps.

Also they removed first person embark animations, a gosh darn shame, truly

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
For someone with less time than I used to for multiplayer games, I love TF2 MP. The pure carnage makes it so much fun and I feel like I'm actually contributing to the matches. In CoD and Halo I normally just get completely bulldozered for round after round and it's really hard to get into a flow with it. My and my best mate jump in for a couple of hours every other week or so and have a blast every time.

Getting a sliding kill with a shotgun from round a corner or through a doorway will always make you feel like a pure badass too.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't blame people since

1. Cant play TF1 on PC
2. TF1 wasn't on PS4

A lot of people always gravitate to what's newer in cases like this, or the things with more availability. But overall yes, the MP in TF2 even after patches is worse than TF1. Honestly, not much changed from the beta days if you weren't enjoying it even back then.

Oct 28, 2017
I think your problem is controller play. Mouse gives you so much more options for insane movement in a game like Titanfall 2. You're not gonna get the same capability to swing your view around and land crazy grapples and more with just an analog stick.

The game just opens up when you get that ability to move, and even on the maps like Homestead, you can use small rocks and more to absolutely punt yourself across the map with your grapple. Plus, it makes a difference having a map where Titans can slug it out compared to warrens of indoor corridors that Titans can't really do shit in.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the first game in literally years, but I do agree that while some of the changes made for 2 didn't seem all that great, I think the core system is still there (depending on the map). Absolutely some of the laning maps lead to passive play, but they include sniper rifles and mid range guns so people are going to do that anyway.

That said, these days I just do the co-op horde mode if I'm looking to play the game now so I have no idea what modern TF2 is like. I assume anyone still playing now is super sweaty. lol

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those games I regret not spending more time with. I didn't like Titanfall 1 beta that much. But I really liked Titanfall 2 beta. Then I bought the game way after release and only played online for a few hours. Had a lot of fun, but for whatever reason, I didn't play more.

I always thought the mechs are a tad too squishy. It's too easy to kill them even on foot. I would like a sequel where the mechs provide bigger threats and aren't as easily defeated.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Would love a new one. Really liked it. Both SP and MP.
But always good when people are able to look at it critically.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just throw my voice onto the pile saying I vastly preferred TFall1 MP to TFall2's. Didn't like the new maps as much, didn't like the change from chassis to "hero" Titans. Bunch of other things. I put hundreds of hours into the original game. Probably put less than 50 into the sequel before losing interest. Titanfall 2 SP is still god tier though.

Give us Titanfall 3 you cowards!

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Love TF2 multiplayer mainly because of the movement options. It's just so seamless running around the map and finding places to shoot. The problem with it though is if you don't know where the action is, you might run to a place with nothing happening there and you have to find your way around where everyone is fighting. It gets pretty bad at that one stage with the cliffs and water with a long straight corridors (idk the name of it). The maps are definitely a hit or miss but likable for the most part especially that virtual Tron looking map.

I think I put 100-ish hours into the multiplayer so far since it was put up on Game Pass and still playing it to this day. Wish Apex had the movement options like wallrunning but the movement is smooth there as well but I'll always miss how fluid TF2 feels.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think your problem is controller play. Mouse gives you so much more options for insane movement in a game like Titanfall 2. You're not gonna get the same capability to swing your view around and land crazy grapples and more with just an analog stick.

The game just opens up when you get that ability to move, and even on the maps like Homestead, you can use small rocks and more to absolutely punt yourself across the map with your grapple. Plus, it makes a difference having a map where Titans can slug it out compared to warrens of indoor corridors that Titans can't really do shit in.

I've played the game on kbam and didn't prefer it. Same with Apex Legends, I prefer playing both with a controller.

There are some high level movement strategies like tap strafing which aren't as easy to perform on controller but they're pretty irrelevant to be honest. Right now I'm using this controller on PS5 and it lets me do everything I feel that I want to pretty comfortably.

O0mKJGv.jpg

6tYdlRk.jpg

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
TF2 mp is fun but it is worse than the first game for sure. The maps were better, the Titans were better and the nuclear ejection thing was a lot more fun to use. Attrition was such a fun mode in TF1. I miss TF1. :(

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Titanfall 2 and I've bought it uh 3 times now, I don't disagree with most if not all of the points made. The maps kinda suck in general, especially the launch ones. Homestead was such a bad map to show off for the beta. Good Titan players can make the game miserable as a Pilot until you eke out a Titan yourself, and if you call it down too early/too late/in the wrong location, it's back to being stomped. I always thought Titan balance was a bit off, too, because the Titans with hitscan weapons (i.e. not Scorch) were that much easier to use to kill Pilots.

And remember how they didn't let you have a sidearm slot at launch? Bro????

Funny that Attrition gets called out for snowballing, though, because Bounty Hunt is arguably worse. You can have so much money, run to bank, lose a gunfight by one Alternator hipfire bullet and lose half your money.

Mar 19, 2020
I liked it a lot, so many individual parts felt really good (movement, calling in a Titan, general gunplay). But I always felt like I should be playing attrition (because if you're not calling in Titans, what are you doing?). But I never really liked the mode, it always felt like there was one too many things to keep track of so that I never got into a real game flow. That's why I love Apex so much, everything is restrained just enough to keep movement and gunplay feeling good but not so much that you end up perpetually disoriented.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
The best mode is Last Titan Standing and everything TF2 changed from the original was in order to enhance it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's a controller issue either. Playing with just a controller didn't impact my enjoyment of TF1.

There was just a lot of small changes that snowballed as it went that effectively offers an entirely different experience than the first game and for most that came off that game, there wasn't much TF2 did better.

I tried to give it numerous chances and it just feels off. While I can go back to TF1 even after a long break and it just feels good to go from the start.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the game kinda goes back and forth with titan spawns from my experience with some overlapping where titans would be able to fight against each other. After the first few times of the novelty of riding a big robot wore off, I rarely ever go into my titan when I spawn it too and let the AI control it and follow me. The AI isnt that great, yeah, but it gets a few kills usually before it dies and that definitely helps when I'm running around adding additional kills on pilots.

There's just different strats and different ways to play and I think I found one I like (run around invisible and shotgun people when they get close enough). I don't think I'm bad either as I'm usually ranking as the top and second top player in my team and the game.

I really hate fighting that one titan though with the long sword but low health. The reach is so high and I can barely get close sometimes.

Also, some of the animations for attacking a titan as a pilot is way too long sometimes it's ridiculous. Like I jump on a titan and the wait between getting on to throwing a grenade in the titan sometimes takes over 5s long to do and you just wait there or decide to jump off because they smoked you. Totally opposite from the fast gameplay otherwise.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
WAIT, how do you see the total number of hours played on a game? Looks like a PS interface?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The TF2 hyper praise is exactly what happens when people put "movement" on an altar above everything else. It's fast, I get it. That's not the end all be all. Everything else about the first game is better*. The titan customization, the spawns, the rodeoing, the titan health (really everything about Titans at all), and the maps. Oh boy are the maps better. Good. Lord. What a letdown 2 was. I must have played 1 for hundreds of hours. 2? Less than 50.

*Well, almost everything. 2 had better weapon selection, except for the Smart Pistol being a hop-up, which blowwwwwwws.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
The first Titanfall had great mp. I remember trying Titanfall 2's mp during the beta and they made a lot of weird choices (I don't remember exact details anymore). I need to give it another try, pretty sure that I own the game somewhere...

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I never felt like anything was decidedly unfair in TF2 - in fact in most cases I found that it was better than just about any other game out there in giving me basic tools and skills that you could ramp up and utilize to succeed in almost any situation.

Titan v Pilot is SUPPOSED to be hard - that's the whole reason a Titan hasn't made it into Apex yet - they're OP as fuck unless you also have a titan. No problem there still - the amount of times I've style on a clueless Titan who dropped it like a moron or gets caught with their tunnel vision makes getting bitch-slapped out of the air every now and then a decent trade off.

I enjoyed the maps because they felt like they rewarded the different pilots in different places and I never felt slow or cut off or what not. I know fans of TF1 complain about how all the long hallway double wall jump continues sliding is missing but I'm ok with something being a little more believable and making a little more sense as a real place at the expense of a perfectly straight shotgun speed lane to wall run on.
not to mention the fact that after enough hours you're positively FLYING through the levels in a way that new comers just can't keep up with it.
But i'll give you that some feel very uninspired or cramped via lane work. Not the games strongest point for sure but not a giant detriment in my eyes.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't agree.

Attrition
Attrition is good. It allows new players to get familiarity with aiming. Grunts all players towards rooftops, where they standout. You can mostly ignore them and it's just Team Deathmatch.

Pilots vs. Titans
You're supposed to lose a fight to a Titan as a pilot. Calling Titanfall is like getting a power-pellet in Pac-Man, and you get to sweep out ghosts. It is unfair fights - it's a rework of Call of Duty's killstreak system.

If you're drawing the attention of Titan as a pilot you're doing it wrong. You're trying to find angles, attack and leave. You hurl attacks when the Titan is engaged with a friendly Titan (which is most of the time) and pester them more than battle them.

Maps
I don't think they are as good as Titanfall 1's maps - I do agree that 3-Lane design isn't a good fit, but the map selection was improved with DLC. I don't think the maps often suck - some are good, most are fine, few are bad.

TTK
I think it's an aspect of the game they nailed. Hitting a moving target is difficult and you are rewarded for doing so more often than not. With the mobility of Titanfall 2 I think it's needed to allow players to maintain momentum and get killstreaks - you can take put 3 or 4 players in quick succession if your movement and accuracy lines up.

Netcode
It seems like the industry standard to me. In practical terms I never really found myself having a problem with hit detection playing Titanfall 2 - maybe generous hitboxes compensate for the tick rate.

Support
I thought it was a shame that there wasn't more new maps, but the support seemed fine for being free. I don't remember any prolonged balance issues, there were modes added (Live Fire I think).

This is before GaaS design took off. It had a pretty natural lifespan for a game.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Completely COMPLETELY agree about maps especially.

Plus, the lack of maps also just sucks. There's hardly any maps and every time I play I feel like it's the same three maps over and over. It sucks.

You also didn't touch on the UI, which sucks ass. It's so bad and noisy and ameture looking. Titanfall 1's was clean and gave me all the information I needed in a super clear way and never distracted from what I was doing, while also still helping keep kills feeling good to rack up.

EDIT: and honestly, idk how to explain why, but shooting just feels worse in TF2 multiplayer...which I didn't notice in the campaign. But boy the multiplayer it feels BAD with a controller. Aim assist is both too aggressive and also not enough? It's awful. TF1's was so perfect. Maybe it has to do with the way characters are timed with each other on the network. I know Destiny to Destiny 2's beta changed stuff like that and it felt so bad it was almost nauseating. They rolled it back a tad but it's still different from Destiny 1, which still feels perfect.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry I do not agree at all. There are wrong opinions.

Movement is one of the most important gameplay aspects of this game. It's very easy to fight Titans as a Pilot using your movement. You can hide in interiors, create distractions and chip away at their health until they're vulnerable. Some Titans are better at fighting Pilots and some aren't. In the end it all comes down to player experience. I have been playing TF2 since 2016 and I never thought the PvT was imbalanced.

It's not that you can't, it's that you could in TF1 and still have so much flow to it. In 2, the flow is gone.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Attrition, the flagship mode, is kind of terrible
Personally I enjoy Attrition, it was design to level the playing field between hardcore and casual players and it's a way to ensure everyone may feasibly contribute to a win. I'd say there are better modes in Titanfall, depending on your mood, and thankfully because of Mixtape you can play all of them.

Pilot vs Titan gameplay feels unbalanced and unenjoyable
Titan durability/survivability rates are quite lower compared to Titanfall 1, as Titan shielding is conditional to batteries and don't replenish automatically. A Titan should always be stronger than a single pilot, but it works as intended IMO. A single pilot isn't meant to consistently take out Titans by themselves. It's rather a war of attrition that hopefully has the assistance of the rest of the team and the AI. As the game matured one, a more fire and forget AT weapon has seen more widespread use (the Thunderbolt) as people understood this).

Also your video using the Amped Weapon ability must be old, nowadays that skill is on a 30 second timer per use.

The maps often just plain suck
I don't disagree, kinda. About half the maps aren't good, and I agree with your view on Homestead and War Games.

The time to kill is very... fast
Yes, it is. I'm not a fan of this either.

The games netcode is something else...
Never had any problems with this.

Support and updates are lacking...
Well, it's an older game that never quite achieved the success it deserved. There is a minimal amout of micro transactions and no dlcs. The game did get some updates a few years ago but that was it.

Overall I quite like TF2. And I like TF1 too, despite noticing they're quite different games. In some respects the first game did better and in others it was the second. I believe Respawn has learned a lot in the meantime to pool in the qualities of both games and Apex for a third entry.

Last edited: