• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The first E3 I ever watched was E3 2009 (i know, I was a late bloomer to E3's), E3 2019 will be the first E3 I will ever actually be able to go to and I am really excited.

Any tips for people who have never actually attended E3 in person?

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
If any press can help, I'm going for the first time this year and am booking appointments, how much space do you leave between your appointments?

How long roughly would it take me to walk from one side of the convention center to the other? I'm trying to calculate my travel time between appointments.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Know which games you want to go to first and do them immediately. Lines are super long

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Unless you absolutely 100% want to get your hands on something, just survey the scene and visit every booth. There's a lot more you can check out and get pictures of, glimpses of, ect. than if you devote your time to standing in 2 hour + lines. If you're there multiple days, take the first day to walk through everything and see it all. Then on day 2 you make an immediate B line straight to the things you want to play.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
There's industry hours before they let the "regular" folks in, is it still wise to get out there early before those industry hours?
I'll say yes, there is a lot of people that will be there for the first time thanks to the gamer pass, maybe the first and only time in a good while, and they will be super hyped, that people will try to use any second they have there, so get early too

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This'll be my third year going and off the top of my head:
Day 1 is for getting your badge and watching live events. It's way too crowded and too short floor times for gamer pass users to do much.
Can't bring outside drinks so be ready to get robbed at the cafeterias even for water.
Make sure your bag fits the criteria so you can get in faster.
Day 3 is the day to go gaming as almost everyone is gone.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
A, you can't see everything.
B, if publishers have an app to sign up for demos, use it.
C, Please, PLEASE don't tote around the giant bags that Atlus gives away like candy and block walking pathways with them
D, your heroes (developers, influencers, marketing gurus) are people and sometimes up for a quick chat. Just try to respect their time if they have appointments to do
E, clean socks and underwear make a world of difference each day
F, if you can get business cards printed ahead of time, definitely do it. Just don't go overboard with crazy shapes or use too many dark colors that are impossible to read in low light
G, read the showfloor map and set up a gameplan. Maybe tackle one hall a day, or focus on your favorite publishers.
H, Nintendo lines cap early and if that's what you want to see, it may take hours before you can get into play the demo. Plan accordingly

PS, sup person above me.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
WATER

If you're not industry don't feel bad when nearly everyone looks at you like you shouldn't be there... it's nothing personal... you're just in our way. If you're a youtuber don't feel bad when everyone rolls their eyes at you... it's nothing personal we just hate you.

kind of kidding

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Two tips:
1. Pack your suitcase inside an empty suitcase for a total of 2 suitcases. This way you only bring one suitcase going, but have an extra suitcase to bring all the swag back with you. Learned my lesson for my first E3 where I had no way of getting all my loot back home work me. My second E3, I was able to bring everything home...
2. Print up some business cards indicating you're an influencer or press... You can exchange these usually for press kits at booths. I have a really good collection of E3 press kits via this method, the crown jewel of which is my Blizzard E3 2005 StarCraft: Ghost press kit.

Good luck! Wear comfy shoes! Try not to look creepy posing with booth models..

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
This'll be my third year going and off the top of my head:
Day 1 is for getting your badge and watching live events. It's way too crowded and too short floor times for gamer pass users to do much.
Can't bring outside drinks so be ready to get robbed at the cafeterias even for water.
Make sure your bag fits the criteria so you can get in faster.
Day 3 is the day to go gaming as almost everyone is gone.
Maybe in previous years, last year was paradise, since E3 started asking for corporation emails looks like several employees from stores can't go and gamer pass arrive later, so the first hours of the first two days are a blessing, on the third day gamer pass have the full day, so it gets really messy

element

Oct 27, 2017
Walk around the floor day one. See what you actually want to play and if it is even playable on the floor.
Return day two with a plan to get in line as early as possible.
Repeat for day three if needed.

Ignore all the food at the convention center.
Don't expect to eat quick anyplace around LA Live (Yard House, Tom's Urban, etc)
For water and drinks walk to Ralph's on 9th
Get breakfast at The Original Pantry Cafe
Gawk at famous industry members at The Ritz-Carlton or Hotel Fig

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If you really want to see something, check it out on day 1. Day 3 is the day that paid people get in at the same time as industry people. Get there an hour early to pick up your badge. Check out which hall you want to see and head to that one first. Bring snacks as the convention food isnt great like most convention centers.

This will be my 10th year in a row going to e3 but now I dont even go to see the games. I go to meet up with various friends in the industry.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Hand sanitizer. Most folks come back from E3 with a bug of some kind of another. Won't save you if someone coughs/sneezes on you (which is likely given how dense some of the crowds can get), but it helps. The most comfortable shoes you own also helps.

Have fun, exercise patience, and be kind. :) My first E3 was 1996 and I worked at or attended every one through 2006 except for one of the two in Atlanta, a Comdex, and 3 TGSs. My showgoing days are over, but it's definitely something anyone who loves games should experience!

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If any press can help, I'm going for the first time this year and am booking appointments, how much space do you leave between your appointments?

Depends on where subsequent appointments are based. If you're talking still within the confines of the convention theater, it's advisable to keep about 15 minutes free between slots. If you're heading off-site, 30 minutes at least should be given. Don't take any chances. Above all else, make sure you know where you're going. Try and book stuff as physically close to one another as you can.

How long roughly would it take me to walk from one side of the convention center to the other? I'm trying to calculate my travel time between appointments.

About 10-or-so minutes...but it all depends on how busy it is at the time and how free-flowing the main hallways are. My first time there I was lucky most of my appointments were in the upper floor rooms - the only time I had to walk to the other venue hall was when most of the flood of industry and consumer crowds had died down.

Bugface

May 14, 2019
If you're press- The press room serves free lunch at noon. The line'll start around 11, but if you just pop in after everyone that lined up has grabbed theirs, there's a ton of food leftover. The lemonade in the press room is always bad but the bean bags are your best friend. You can snag a computer in the press registration room to watch streams that happen before the hall opens (Typically Nintendo's direct) and go right in after everyone rushes in (If you're not rushing to a booth/for an exclusive/etc etc etc.)

Also, if you're disabled, it's worth it to talk to booth handlers about how they can accommodate you (IE, instead of standing in a line for 2 hours, you can come back at a set time. But, uh, most of the time it's just gonna be getting you a chair to sit on in line if you're not in a wheelchair. I don't know specifications for wheelchair users, sorry.)

Likewise, (for press) if you have a free timeslot, it doesn't hurt to poke around in some of the meeting rooms to see if anyone has an opening to talk- sometimes people drop out at the last minute. Just don't get upset if you get turned down by a handler because your outlet isn't well known enough, it'll happen.

And please, please please please wear deodorant. By late afternoon of day 2 the halls start to smell like chicken noodle soup. And if the Super Soul Bros are playing, go see them, they're amazing.

duckvalentine

Reporter at IGN
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Second those who said 15 for on site, 30 for off site. Usually folks will have appointments in one hour or 30 minute blocks though so likely you'll have 30 minutes for everything.

LACC is divided into two halls. If you can, try to book things back to back in the same hall. They seem big at first but they aren't too bad once you get used to them and it's easy enough to move from one side of the same hall to another in 5-10 minutes provided there aren't weird crowds happening. The walk across the bridge between the two halls plus time to find your booth is around 15 minutes if you don't know exactly where you're headed.

Get phone numbers for press contacts on site and if you are going to be late for whatever reason, text them, apologize, and tell them. 99% of them will understand and be extremely forgiving.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Seriously, get some great comfortable shoes for standing/walking. If you haven't in a spell, treat yourself to a nice shoe store, get your current sizing, and get some great comfy cushioned AF shoes and break them in before you fly out. You're gonna be on your feet for 20+ hours.

Other tips I generally give people visiting vs "working" E3:

-Bring your own portable hand sanitizer. Use that shit after EVERY demo, meal and general sense of desire to feel less grody.

-Don't eat at the convention floor, regardless of the convenience or how hungry you are. There a ton of decent restaurants/grab a bites in ten minutes walking distance. You will need to wait an hourish for a table at anywhere popular during the lunch rush, but plenty of great fast cheap options in the area as well.

-If you're going with a group of people, shot call your meet up place at the west entrance lobby and not a booth/area for any of the games in either of the halls. Shit gets crowded fast & the lobby of the west entrance is like custom built to find people fast. You will get split up and lost & it's part of the fun.

-For the past two years, both Bethesda and Microsoft have had reservation-based lines for some of their stuff for the public, and Sony did that for VR last year as well. If you are going to beeline for one specific thing on the first day, IMO i'd recommend making those appointments ASAP, if any of their stuff seems interesting.

-Most of the best stuff playable on the floor usually means a 40 minute to a 2+ hour wait in line, no exaggeration. The BotW line was 4 hours iirc. If you're going in a group, phone games that also have local network play are great to kill time with AND socialize with people around you! If you're going in a duo or solo, do what you think is gonna hold you down best.

-Don't be one of those assholes on the floor talking shit about demos, shows, sparse/vacant booths, or general console war dipshit etcetera. You're gonna be in ear shot of a lot of people who worked their fucking asses off just getting to the show, with many of them doing 16+ hour a day interviews, people handling and general showing off something they put a lot of labor into. Constructive criticism is fine; you're not required nor likely to like or love everything you see. But being a snarky butthole in line about some game or trailer or whatever is usually just draining for everyone that surrounds you, and there's a high probability chance someone who worked on said thing is in close proximity. Gaming events, especially E3, are more enjoyable when people are focused on sharing the things they love or are surprised by than punditry or anger.

Finally, not sure if they are doing it again this year, but last year the YouTube Gaming group had this fantastic area just a five minutes walk away from the convention doing hourly panels and Q&A deep dives on new/existing titles from actual developers open to all E3 badge holders. It was super duper comfy, really chill, and a great place to take a break and decompress from how hectic and crowded the show floor was. If you're kind of introverted like me and like having stuff you can just sit and relax to, that YouTube video panel thing was quite excellent and I highly recommend it.