• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Time to tip?

• Yes

Votes: 157 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.0%
  • Never. Worst scum of the universe?

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Lack of service so easily no tip.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • Tip anyway cuz you feel guilty.

Votes: 20 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kamikazety

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Minimum 20% is a joke. I scale it to the place. If they just bring my food out and I am waiting in line to order my food? No tip. If it's a proper full service or fine dining restaurant? I've tipped as low as 10 and as high as 30. Also if service is incredibly bad you think you should still tip well? That's insane, it follows the same logic as saying unskilled laborer should get paid more just for showing up to work.

People try to constantly say waiters don't get paid well but that's bullshit. Ask a waiter if they want to be switched to hourly.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure if you needed something they would have been happy to help, I only withhold tips when I get a negative experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Most places I can think of like this (Panera, etc) have a tip jar somewhere up front when you order. I normally leave a few bucks but don't usually figure out the normal 20% I'd do at a "full" restaraunt.

Why would you tip at a Panera? I used to go to Panera all the time. They call your number, you pick up the food and when you are done you throw away your food and put your plate in the bin.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
People saying he should have tipped is LOL. My local Dairy Queen gives you a number so you sit down and they'll bring it out to you. Do you tip that person too? If so, how do the extra 20 steps they take warrant a tip?

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I do
I don't like the fact that I HAVE to
When i say HAVE to, i mean that the worker is getting fucked by the business in terms of pay.
I rather tip them and them get paid not fucking 2$

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The "table cleaning" argument is quite weird to me, it seems that everyone agrees that there is no need to tip in McDonalds but in my experience (8+ countries) I have never seen a McDonalds where the majority of the people clean after themselves, there is always a lot of trash over the tables that end ip being cleaned by the staff. Isn't it like this in the USA?

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like Culver's in the midwest-- order up front, get your card and go sit down then one of the people just bring it to you. It's not a service restaurant, and the delivery only serves to keep you from standing in front and creating a line.

I say no tip in this situation, and usually I'm a tip nazi. But this doesn't sound like the type of restaurant where they're actually waiting on you.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The "table cleaning" argument is quite weird to me, it seems that everyone agrees that there is no need to tip in McDonalds but in my experience (8+ countries) I have never seen a McDonalds where the majority of the people clean after themselves, there is always a lot of trash over the tables that end ip being cleaned by the staff. Isn't it like this in the USA?
Not in the US. You are expected to bus your table.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So like chicfila? You order in the front and they drop it off at your table?
Yeah, no need to tip. Maybe a dollar or 2 if you feel like it but not 20%

May 25, 2019
London
Why would you tip at a Panera? I used to go to Panera all the time. They call your number, you pick up the food and when you are done you throw away your food and put your plate in the bin.

You can tip their bakery team, they ask every time you order.

OP, the fact that you made this thread means you clearly know you should have tipped, feel guilty about it, and are looking for people to clear your conscience for you. The best course of action is to go back and ask to leave a tip for your server. Otherwise, the forum will collectively move you to their Ignore lists

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to tip in any situation in which you order at a counter. You can but you don't need to.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
If food is brought out to me and the staff are going to have to wipe the table/counter/whatever after I leave, then yeah, I'll leave a tip. In OP's situation I would typically tip less than at a full-service place, but would still leave some extra.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
No. There are several fast casual restaurants that you order at the counter, take a number and go sit down. Then somebody brings you your food and you never see them again. This sounds like one of those kind of places.
This is how I feel too. I always bus my own trash and tray. You never see the person again. If there is a tip jar at the front or it asks you if you want to leave a tip I usual throw a dollar in or give 10%.

These people aren't servers. They aren't paid 4.25 an hour. It's not the same as a waiter or waitress at a restaurant. If they are being paid server wages then they are being ripped off.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I would've still tipped but probably around 10-12% instead of the usual 15%. Being checked on after food is served up is still a part of the complete package in my eyes, but it still sounds like they got other things correct and still earned most of the tip. I'll still tip SOMETHING in most situations, and it has been a very long time since I just received straight up poor service, but I will adjust the amount based on the quality of the service... And I do think being checked up on is kind of a necessity, even if it's only once or twice.

To be clear, I don't think OP's service sounds like BAD service, it just sounds like incomplete service.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The experience that's described sounds like what one would get at a Whataburger or Chick-fil-a (order at the counter, get a number/identifier to place on the table, they bring your food over). So I guess I have to ask for more context: Were the people bringing the food only doing that? Did you have to clean the table or did they? If you wanted a refill was it something you can easily get without asking?

There are plenty of local mom and pop fast food style places that don't necessarily have waiters/waitresses but just people who bring the food over to the table, but they typically do other stuff as well.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's zero service, nothing beyond taking order, I just tip a buck. If they even check once, I'll do standard 20%. I actually prefer they check minimally.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I do
I don't like the fact that I HAVE to
When i say HAVE to, i mean that the worker is getting fucked by the business in terms of pay.
I rather tip them and them get paid not fucking 2$
Tipped employees
$4.95
Service employees minimum wage

Tipped employees minimum wage is $4.95 as of January 1, 2020. This rate will go up in steps to reach $6.75 per hour in January 2023.
The minimum wage for tipped employees who make more than $20 a month in tips is $4.95 an hour. However, for employers to pay these employees this different minimum wage they must inform the employee of this law and the employee must receive at least the $12.75 minimum wage when actual tips and wages are combined. In addition, all tips must be retained by the employee or distributed through a valid tip-pool as defined by MGL c.149 § 152A. If the combined wages and actual tips do not at least equal the regular minimum wage, the employer must pay the employee the difference.

Massachusetts law about minimum wage

Laws, regulations, and web sources on minimum wage law.

This is in Massachusetts. It will go up in increments to 6.75 by January 2023.
Yes I've been a server. Yes it sucks especially when it was $4.25 an hour and just tips.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
In this scenario I'd like a dollar on the table as a "thanks for saving me the trip to the kitchen"

Oct 28, 2017
Did your table clean itself?
When you go to a store, the shelves don't arrange themselves back to normal after people mess it up.

I tip because we're in this spot, but it never makes sense why we have these special rules for what deserves a tip when it comes to the food industry. It should be paid properly like any other job. The argument that it's the economically viable way for a restaurant to run is bullshit.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No table service, no tip. This is basically a fast food restaurant where they walk the tray out rather than have you wait at the counter.

How's the guy supposed to tip if he pays first? Throw a buck in a jar if you want but why hand over 20% for someone walking your food out? What if they stumble and flop the entire meal on your lap while bringing it out? Or there's a hair in the eggs? Or they do something completely outrageous like call you a racist slur? You going to take that 20% back on the bill you already paid?

This is the same level of service they provide at McDonalds, and I'm never going to tip in that situation. Maybe a buck on a receipt or if paying in cash, since they took your order right away and they're a small business.

This guy gets it.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
When you go to a store, the shelves don't arrange themselves back to normal after people mess it up.

I tip because we're in this spot, but it never makes sense why we have these special rules for what deserves a tip when it comes to the food industry. It should be paid properly like any other job. The argument that it's the economically viable way for a restaurant to run is bullshit.
Should be. But isn't. And until it is bucking the expectation is rude.

I'm all for changing the system, but this is what we've got. If you're against tipping go to places, of which there are many, where tips truly are not an expectation.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Tipping flowchart:

Are you in North America?
> If yes:
>> Are you seated at a table with a waiter bringing you food?
>> If yes: tip 15% minimum unless service is egregiously bad (waiters spitting in your food, verbal abuse, etc.) **
>> If no: only if you want to
> If no: only if you want to

** If you don't tip then you are an asshole, period.
This

Oct 28, 2017
Should be. But isn't. And until it is bucking the expectation is rude.

I'm all for changing the system, but this is what we've got. If you're against tipping go to places, of which there are many, where tips truly are not an expectation.
See, I'm not in favor of that argument. I do tip, but I can't get angry when we agree to a system that informally tries to pass the buck to paying employees through generosity and some people don't want to be generous.

And the advice of "don't conduct business with these businesses" doesn't help waiters either. Do you think waiters are better off with their restaurants losing a significant of business?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This sounds like a no-tip scenario where there isn't really table service and they're just dropping the food off at a table.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'd still tip them. They served you food.

Standing in line for food, them giving you a number and then bringing the food to your table happens at fast food restaurants as well. I wouldn't consider that table service, though I'd still tip something. I really hope the employees aren't considered wait staff, though.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
See, I'm not in favor of that argument. I do tip, but I can't get angry when we agree to a system that informally tries to pass the buck to paying employees through generosity and some people don't want to be generous.

And the advice of "don't conduct business with these businesses" doesn't help waiters either. Do you think waiters are better off with their restaurants losing a significant of business?
It's a system that you volunteer into by entering. Period. Fucking Mr. Pink.
And yes, servers would rather not have a table/customer that doesn't tip them. Otherwise you're giving them work while bringing down their hourly pay. Would you want to be given more work and for the benefit of your restaurants owner making money and you averaging less?

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
If you're paying up front, no tip.
If it's a bring the bill after the meal kind of place then that's different.

Screw tipping anyway.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
if i wanted more liquid i would just ask

i tip because the system is garbage and i want people who provide me with services to get a decent living in my dumb country

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I don't all the time, but I occasionally do, same as I'll occasionally toss a couple bucks in a tip jar at a coffee shop.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If I had change in my pocket or a buck or under left on my Dunkin' Gift card, yes.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a system that you volunteer into by entering. Period. Fucking Mr. Pink.
And yes, servers would rather not have a table/customer that doesn't tip them. Otherwise you're giving them work while bringing down their hourly pay. Would you want to be given more work and for the benefit of your restaurants owner making money and you averaging less?
I tip, so what's with the Mr. Pink remarks? In every one of my posts I've been saying I tip so I don't know how you could miss that.

It's not a formal system. It's a relatively recent social expectation. When it comes to how people earning income, we shouldn't be depending on what is ultimately generosity.

It usually isn't meant to be the customer's concern how a business pays its employees. If the argument is that it's your social responsibility to make sure employees are paid well at the establishments that you do business with, then I hope you're giving money to people in far more oppressive work environments that do all the farming, mining, and factory work you do in much worse conditions and far less pay. My point is that it's extremely inconsistent to act like it's your duty and obligation to make sure a waiter is paid a fair wage as a customer when you do not do the same everywhere else. It's just an emotional argument that isn't applied evenly because those other groups are not building a rapport with you and are far away.

And if everybody applied your argument and didn't go to restaurants if they refused to tip, what do you think happens to waiters when a significant percentage of customers stop going to a restaurant?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I honestly don't think they are classified as waitstaff in this instance (or if they are, they are paid at least minimum wage or are relatives of the owner because otherwise who would work there?) There must be some law about this that differentiates between a fast food/counter style of restaurant and a full service restaurant.

People saying that a tip is warranted, let alone a 15% baseline tip, for someone bringing food to your table after ordering and never coming back by design are crazy. How much do you tip the Mcdonalds guy who comes out to your car when the drive through is crowded and they make you park to the side?

Nov 1, 2017
It's kind of mind blowing to me how conservative a lot of people are on this issue.

I mean, the status quo as it is mainly benefits restaurant owners at the expense of customers being obligated to tip, and as a result waitstaff are given an unstable and volatile income where being paid well above minimum wage is the exception.

Whats more unacceptable is that women who rely on tips are often forced to tolerate unwanted sexual comments from customers or else they make less. My partner has personally had to deal with this. Furthermore, persons of color working waiting jobs are subject to racial discrimination DIRECTLY affecting how much they can earn. Does no one consider these things?

It's a flawed system that needs to be changed completely.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tip anyway because that person is making $5/hr
No, they aren't. In the hypothetical situation where they do not get enough in tips to bring them up to the federal or local minimum wage, their wage would be compensated for up to the minimum wage. A en employee, tipped or otherwise, will never make below minimum wage. Bringing this up is irrelevant as tipped employees virtually always make well, well above the minimum wage due to the U.S. tipping culture.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The OP could have had more detail, but the way I am reading it not tipping seems fine in this situation. I think a couple of dollars max if you were going to tip.

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like every dine-fast food restaurant. DQ and McDonalds even do the deliver to your table thing. And I've never tipped there so yeah maybe not, definitely optional.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Seems like food court style service almost. I know I wouldn't tip in this situation, but I'm in Canada, where the server is required to make as much as the cook, who is required to make as much as the gas station attendant down the street, who I don't tip. If I'm in the US and I know this person is making starvation wages and only able to live because of their tips, then I'd tip, but I'd also do it up front when paying for the food.