• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
"Unclaimed property" is money or actual property (like the contents of an abandoned safe deposit box) that a company has tried to return to someone and has been unsuccessful in sending them. If they can't get it to the person in a year, typically because that person has moved and they don't have a forwarding address, they are legally obligated to turn said property over to the state of residence they have on file for that person. Types of accounts that can fall into this program include:
  • Checking or savings accounts
  • Stocks
  • Refunds
  • Utility security deposits
Etc. I was just checking my own state's site for this and found outstanding items for both my wife and my brother. Both were under $50, but it's still money owed to them, and I thought you knuckleheads might be able to benefit as well. You can use this site to find your own state's site for searching these databases. There is also a federal government site for searching for money the government owes you; please note that this federal site links to the previous state search link, so you can be confident that the site is legit.

Happy hunting! I hope you find something*!

* - A small finder's fee is appreciated but not required.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I've done this a few times for family and for my company. Got a decent amount for regular people but a ton of money for my company. We are a retail/e-tail company that's been around for 40 years so there was just alot of money sitting around we didn't know about.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, i'm owed some money, I tried to claim it before and I have to get some documents notorized(?) and I have no idea, so never did it.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Once when I was really young I never got my last paycheck for the place I was working at. Was just never deposited.

Yeeeeears later I got it back cause of this

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
Yeah, i'm owed some money, I tried to claim it before and I have to get some documents notorized(?) and I have no idea, so never did it.

You just go to a UPS Store, as most of their employees are notaries. They watch you sign the document and then stamp it with their special notary stamp.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this! I'm getting a check for $54.50. Not sure what it's from, but hey that's some extra money in my pocket. Thanks again!

Oct 27, 2017
Google "Notary near me", pay 5 bucks and done

I did this about 20 years ago and ended up getting about 300 bucks from some insurance or something, I can't remember. I check it once in awhile now

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This says I have two unclaimed properties in the state I was born. Surely not. I moved away when i was like 23.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Nothing for us in South Dakota, but my wife's dad, who passed away in 2016, has two unclaimed things for $23. Her grandma has one as well.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Yeah I have some there. I don't live in the US anymore (which is why it ended up there) and not really sure how I can even get it not being there anymore.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Something weird:

My mom who passed away a few years ago (I made a thread about it probably) popped up in the search. What is strange is that the address isn't either of the two homes we lived in in this town but something completely random we don't recognize. Of course this could be somebody else but tbh my town isn't THAT big and to nail all 3 names would be a freaky coincidence. How would I even go about verifying this is or isn't hers?

Oct 25, 2017
Something weird:

My mom who passed away a few years ago (I made a thread about it probably) popped up in the search. What is strange is that the address isn't either of the two homes we lived in in this town but something completely random we don't recognize. Of course this could be somebody else but tbh my town isn't THAT big and to nail all 3 names would be a freaky coincidence. How would I even go about verifying this is or isn't hers?
You would be surprised. A few years ago, I was trying to show how awful a name-based election fraud detection process could be. I ran a query on a random voter file I had lying around w/ ~30k people in it and it came back with ~2k people that shared a first and last name.

To your specific question, IIRC, at some point in the process, you enter the person's SSN and that would verify either way.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
You would be surprised. A few years ago, I was trying to show how awful a name-based election fraud detection process could be. I ran a query on a random voter file I had lying around w/ ~30k people in it and it came back with ~2k people that shared a first and last name.

Hah I actually just came back into this thread and found out that sure enough there is another woman here in town with the exact same name and nearly exact birthdate. I did not expect that to happen in my city (which while not miniscule isn't very huge either). That's a very interesting test you did and yeah that kind of fraud detection would be terrible indeed.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Well what do you know, $12.64 from Paypal for who knows why.

But ugh, I gotta physically mail the claim with a copy of my SS card? Ehh.