• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they'll address how they never graduated while Bugs' boomer generation has held on tight to the job market.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Canadians might remember the meme before the internet was around of:

We're tiny
We're toony
We can't afford a loonie
Cause Brian Mulroney
Invented GST

Ballou

Apr 2, 2020
I was the right age when this was on the air, so I honestly have more memories with Tiny Toons than the Looney Toons crew. Sign me up.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
My generation has finally reached the age where appealing to our juvenile nostalgia is very lucrative and I couldn't be happier.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at this, perhaps more than I should be! I may have more love for Tiny Toons than Animaniacs.

Feels like corporations took a lot longer to cash in on 90s nostalgia than they did 80s nostalgia.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Are these revivals aimed at kids or the adults who were kids when they were on the air.

I loved this show as a kid, loved the video game too... but I was ~9.

My hope is kids' shows get revived and made for kids, instead of going too much wink-nod to us nostalgia-addicted millennials.
You clearly missed a lot of the adult jokes in the originals at 9 years old. I imagine it'll be like it's always been: funny slapstick for the kiddos with the pop culture and adult jokes that the kiddos don't even register.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Freakazoid is so absolutely perfect for a modern-day revival. IMO, it was the funniest of the Spielberg/WB cartoons.

I don't think you can do freakazoid in 2020.

Freakazoid was lightning ina bottle in the 90's. It was filled with references and gags that people under 60 shouldn't have understood. There was a fucking f-troop joke. AN F-TROOP JOKE!

The entire first episode is a giant reference to one of the worst movies of all time, "the crawling eye".

That level of reverence, and still making it work...is nearly impossible.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can do freakazoid in 2020.

Freakazoid was lightning ina bottle in the 90's. It was filled with references and gags that people under 60 shouldn't have understood. There was a fucking f-troop joke. AN F-TROOP JOKE!

The entire first episode is a giant reference to one of the worst movies of all time, "the crawling eye".

That level of reverence, and still making it work...is nearly impossible.

This is why I loved Freakazoid.

Growing up, I loved watching those old sitcoms and I actually understood that reference at the time. I was a big fan of F-Troop!

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
One step closer to that doug revival.

Tiny Toons is one of my cartoons of all time mr hitcher has stuck with me for almost 20 years.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
No white gloves on Buster Bunny. I guess they're addressing the problematic "minstrel show" aspect of 1930's animated characters? Have they done this with their other characters like Bugs Bunny?

edit: for context original design
tiny%2Btoons%2Bbuster%2Bbabs%2Bcropped.jpg

I find it interesting Buster seems to be the only character with the gloves in the original from what I can tell.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
No white gloves on Buster Bunny. I guess they're addressing the problematic "minstrel show" aspect of 1930's animated characters? Have they done this with their other characters like Bugs Bunny?

edit: for context original design
tiny%2Btoons%2Bbuster%2Bbabs%2Bcropped.jpg

I find it interesting Buster seems to be the only character with the gloves in the original from what I can tell.
The current Bugs Bunny wears yellow gloves, as seen in a couple of his first cartoons from the early 40s

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Literally me the other day: The Animaniacs revival looks sweet. Tiny Toons would be nice.

HBO/CN: We got you fam.

Me: *(UGLY PTERODACTYL SCREECH OF HAPPINESS)*

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Aww yeah!! I was reading the Animaniacs thread the other day thinking how that was nice and all but I would have much preferred a TTA revival instead, and first thing I know this is a WHY NOT BOTH type of deal?! This makes me happy~ This was one of the shows I used to watch all the time as a kid. I used to tape episodes and all!! Also is Babs wearing a hoodie in that promo image? It's so cute~~

And now can I also hope for a new Rescue Rangers show or am I pushing my luck?

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Maybe there's actually a chance that Tiny Toons: Defenders of the Universe will see a release.

Oct 25, 2017
And now can I also hope for a new Rescue Rangers show or am I pushing my luck?
Disney announced last week that they're working on a live-action movie (not an episodic show) for Disney+. It was in development hell for a while.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/live-action-rescue-rangers-movie-to-start-filming.309595
It being live-action/CGI was kind of a monkey's paw for some people.

Bigger question is; who's succeeding Joe Alaskey and Don Messick as Plucky and Hamton? :(
Seriously, the Plucky/Hamton duo was my personal fave of the show. It won't be the same without them.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Between this, Animaniacs and Ducktales (fingers crossed on a Darkwing Duck spinoff like everyone is hoping for) the 90's animation revival is in full swing and I am loving it so far.
Don't forget the Daria spinoff (or is it a revival?) and Clone High coming back. 00s is getting revived too!

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's about an internet superhero

the jokes write themselves
Honestly, an internet-empowered superhero who's main schtick was random humor and pop-culture references was incredibly prescient for a mid-90s cartoon.

Though if they wanted to update Freakazoid to reflect the modern internet, they'd have to make him a white supremacist...

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Literally all my after school cartoons are making a great come back! I mean I'll be 40 in January...!! So what the hell reality!? Why you gotta be so full circle...

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm wracking my brain to think of any show I loved as a kid the ISN'T getting a reboot or continuation in some form. Admittedly that's because Ducktales basically integrated the entire Disney Afternoon.

Wait!

There's no Courage The Cowardly Dog reboot yet. There's still one left.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now all we need is for Wayforward or ArcSys to remake Buster Busts Looses, and we're golden.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Animaniacs but I friggin love Tiny Toons.

I'm just not sold on a revival all these years later matching the original. Hoping for the best though.