• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is when the couples are shocked that they have too much stuff and have to get rid of things to fit in a smaller space.

Or they want something bizarre like a table that seats 20.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
So I have a theory.

I don't think these people live in these houses as their primary residence. I think most of the time these people are really wealthy and building these tiny homes as a novelty because they are trendy and relatively inexpensive to produce. I think they probably end up renting them out on their own existing property or list them as Air B&Bs or something.

I just don't believe that most people, especially people with families, end up living in these for very long - if at all.

Your theory becomes especially evident if you watch any amount of tiny house videos on YouTube. They are extremely formulaic:

Conventionally attractive couple, usually young enough that it seems inexplicable they could pull this off

"Locally sourced reclaimed materials"

Rooftop entertaining area or Jetsons-esque collapsible patio

Really stupid looking foldout futon for when guests (????) stay over

"Home office" demoed by someone standing up with a laptop on a counter

Claims a total project cost that rarely exceeds five figures

They just seem completely inauthentic and I'm convinced it's either bored rich people hobby as you said or possibly proofs of concept for building or green energy companies.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like it's just the fancy version of living in a small trailer and people have done that for ages. If you get along with whoever you live with it's fine.

Nov 3, 2017
Haha it`s so good when people see the tiny house movement and think "it`s all fake" because nobody wants to really live in that small a space for real. And that it would lead to fights and divorce etc. without fail.

If you can`t live in 30 qm with your spouse, then what`s the point of being together?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I could do this with ease. With my partner, no, because she owns a fair amount of stuff, but we could certainly live in a small home.

My grandparents lived in a 2 bedroom house with their 6 kids. The majority of people in my line of work live out of travel trailers. Large square footage for the average person seems to be a trend post WW2. For the most part humanity has generally lived in small spaces it's probably safe to assume.

Sep 14, 2019
This thread is a doozy for me given that as someone living in India, I've seen houses less than half the size of the one in OP's picture, with families with kids living in them.

Yeah, living in what used to be considered a low-income neighborhood before gentrifiers came into the picture, small apartments slightly bigger than that tiny home pictured above with entire families living there weren't uncommon.

Heck, my family and I used to live in a pretty tiny apartment for several years.

An ex of mine lived in a house the size of a tiny home x 1.5 with his mom and 4 other siblings. Not by choice, of course.

I think if people don't have much of a choice, they learn to adapt.

But, yes, for a lot of these custom small houses, they do seem to be made by/for rich people. The amount of custom furniture, designs, etc. that need to be made must be costly. And I'm sure you have to pay for these homes outright or leave a huge deposit at the very least.

Even those that build their tiny home from scratch must have SOME privilege. I mean, spending a year to build a tiny home? You gotta spend money for the materials, while paying a mortgage/rent, so your job needs to pay enough to not need a second (or even third) job, so you'll have the time to build.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people do it. I'm reminded of the first time I visited the Bay Area. I found it strange a family of four living in a 800 square ft condo was considered commonplace.
Welcome to life in large, costly cities. That, and renting if you're a millennial.
My first reaction was "hey, 800 square feet is pretty good" lol

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, if you want to be in NYC, Vancouver, SF, you can kiss buying a nice house with a nice yard goodbye. Such is life.
Having lived in both London and Paris, yeah, it's everywhere. And these are the nicer sizes. You have families of four in like 500 square feet flats. Hell, someone from an Asian city is probably gonna drop anytime now and be all "pffft, this is nothing". People make do.

Having lived in both London and Paris, yeah, it's everywhere. And these are the nicer sizes. You have families of four in like 500 square feet flats. Hell, someone from an Asian city is probably gonna drop anytime now and be all "pffft, this is nothing". People make do.

Yup, I was looking at some of the apartments in Hong Kong last night. Oof, but that's the only way to house 7.5 million in a tiny area.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Tiny homes don't have to be that small.

Eg:
neutral-colors-design-tiny-homes.jpg

My partner and I have been thinking of possibly doing something like this later on down the line.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The key to success is to designate personal spaces and do your own thing within them. Like if you're on a desktop all the time, face your screen towards the wall. Everyone needs a little privacy of their own and small changes like that can make a big difference in your mental health.

Always sharing the same space and engaging in the exact same activity as your significant other can be very tiring. I imagine that a lot of couples who live together in tiny houses spend a lot of time outside.
Thank you friend. I struggle to take time to myself when I know there's things to be done around the house. She was really sweet and set reached out to my best friends to set up a game night for us and it helped a lot.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of those tiny home people tend to be the outdoorsy types so they don't spend a lot of time at home. They tend to be the types that the house is a place of storage and sleep

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I live in a 980 sqft house and could not imagine going any smaller than this. I'm guessing most of these homes become Air BnB rentals.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I think people adapt to their circumstances.

As for me, as cute as it would be for a year or so, I don't think I'd be happy, especially with kids. I don't need a 3,000 sqft house, but I'd definitely like my own "space."

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
My Wife and I lived in a pretty small granny flat that was about that size when we first got married.
We only moved out because the neighbor's dog killed our cat and my wife couldn't handle living there anymore

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
A lot of those tiny home people tend to be the outdoorsy types so they don't spend a lot of time at home. They tend to be the types that the house is a place of storage and sleep

Came here to post this. I used to watch a ton of tiny house stuff on YouTube and they have a lot more interviews and background discussion about the project with the owners than on HGTV and they go more in depth as to what their lifestyles are like, how much time they spend there, what the monthly breakdown of their finances really are, and for the most part it seems like most of these people "live" out "in the world" and only come home to do basics and only when they need to.

Not just outdoorsy types but people that just generally have a lot going on away from home. I personally have always found that kind of lifestyle intriguing and if I didn't have a cat I would absolutely pursue something ultra minimalist like that.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My condo is is around 850sqft. With a more efficient open layout I could probably cut that in half and be comfortable. Less than 400 or an inefficient layout and that wouldn't really work.

Caveat is that I live alone without pets.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
In every place I've ever lived I've only ever ended up using three rooms, a bedroom, a bathroom, and the kitchen, so I doubt I'd have any problem with a tiny house. I really just have no need or desire for large amounts of space. That being said, I would rather just get a studio in a major city.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if you live in a small apartment in like Tokyo or Hong Kong, you have much less space than that. I'm looking for someplace bigger to live, but that's mostly because I have a ton of collectable junk. I admire people who can fit into smaller places, especially when they come up with neat design ideas to maximize space, like putting storage into stairs and having long drawers underneath the bed.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i lived in a 18 square meter apartment for a decade, it was alright. no oven or a freezer was the only complaint really. used my bed as a couch and had a computer and a tv, what more does one need? heh.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need my own bathroom with shower.
A fully functioning kitchen.
Personal washer/dryer.

After that tons of space doesn't matter to me.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The couple I know that lives in one spends most of their time sleeping outdoors anyways, and just needed a warm shelter to ride out the winter in Asheville.

I feel like a tiny house would feel like an incredible improvement over a tent. Its all relative, ya know?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I saw a tiny house set up. Where there several tiny homes and one slightly larger communal space for dining/family gathering. All the kids had their own tiny home.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you marry someone you don't like spending time with or who you can't be in close proximity to without getting in fights? lol

My wife and I lived in a studio apartment for years before upgrading to larger apartments. I would have no problem living with her in a tiny house and we've both talked about wanting to downsize and live somewhere small.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like first world problem. When I was a kid our family of 4 used to live in a 20 sqm house and we survived just fine.

TRV

Nov 27, 2020
The Netherlands
I lived for 2 and a half years in a 23sqm studio with my bf but it wasn't 3 meters wide... and I didn't ever consider buying the place o.o
Thing is, I can get a pre-fab tiny house for 30k in The Netherlands, or get a luxurious one built to my taste for 80k. That's still half of what an entry level appartment would cost, or an old, not much bigger house in a rural area.

Then there's the problem of finding land to place it, but if you're lucky you can get a very cheap designated spot in many municipalities. With my somewhat minimalist lifestyle and average paying job, I could get away with working three days a week. Or work five days a week and retire real early. That's a clear benefit. Furthermore, most tiny houses have lay-outs that make the most of a small space. The one in the OP isn't a good example of that. A well designed tiny house will be more practical and/or spacious than the studio you mention.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, most people on reality TV likely do not end up actually living in the residence, but I'm sure there are couples that are actually living in these types of places, usually these types of people don't have the kind of personalities where they stay at home for particularly long. I knew someone that lived in a tiny house like this but they also spent like, months of the year hiking and camping away from home, etc.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
So... a lot of people don't seem to actually like being around their partner? Then... why are you with them?
I can only speak for myself here. I do like being around my partner. After all, I love her and want to stay married to her. Part of that whole "wanting to stay married" thing comes down to giving each other some damn space when we need it. Everyone needs alone time now and then. A tiny house wouldn't work with this arrangement.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The big cost is land, especially good land with no close neighbors, and still hooked to the grid. Technological advances will keep favoring independence and increase demand but more land that today wouldn't be suited for a home will be, so all of that will sort of balance itself out cost-wise.

Space-efficiency being built-in can be costly. If you want to be extremely space-efficient, you can look at how space is saved on boats, but it essentially means everything is very custom, raising costs. The interest in space-efficiency shouldn't be that much related with building a smaller home per se, but rather to make better usage of the space so that you can have what you wouldn't have had otherwise, like maybe you now have room for a sauna or fireplace.

A lot of the tiny homes I have seen have almost the exact same layout and I often don't like them at all. They are designed as if everything is an inconvenience, and the gained space doesn't seem to justify the sacrifices. A formal dining table can serve as a WFH desk and gaming table (poker, Monopoly, whatever) and even an occasional extra food prep area.

One of the worst impact on layouts I see is the TV. Real pain in the ass and usually you have to chose between a TV or a fireplace. Hopefully we'll have those roll-TVs in the near future, as it would make their space usage on-demand only.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I rented a tiny condo here in Bangkok for 2 years, which was just basically a big room (only about 3.5m wide) separated by a sliding glass door (with a separate bathroom, of course). Worked out fine - I'd sit on the couch playing games and she was on the other side of the glass in the bedroom all the time. We had our privacy and separate space that way.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Our first six years living together was in a place ~450 square feet.

Some people just like their partners?

We only moved to a (slightly) larger place when we had a kid.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
My wife and I have discussed it but the thing that kills it is nearly all of them have steep stairs to a sleeping loft. At 49 and 56 we'd want something on one level.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
My partner and I have lived in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment for like 2 years. We grew frustrated with it's size, but not each other. We still live in a rather small condo, that is bigger, but still restrictive. We definitely have our moments, where it seems too small, but manage pretty well. However, we still look forward to when we can afford a normal sized house.