• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
School starts again today, and I want to get into a healthy routine.
Ive tried intermittent fasting and it went well for 3 or so months, but my energy levels were all over the place.

My schedule is like: wake up around 10-11, first class at 12:30, lunch or breakfast break at 1:30.
should I just have a coffee before class, or a coffee with a light snack (granola bar or banana)?
Does having sugar so early affect my hunger cycle or whatever?

should I just skip breakfast until 2?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do whatever is more sustainable for you. Some people love eating every 3 hours, some like eating in a 4 hour window.

The total nutrition at the end of the day is what matters.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we all have different natural routines. I end up healthiest when I start eating when I get hungry, and that tends to be *after* I get home from work in the evening. Starting any earlier than that wrecks my self-control, and so I only do daytime eating when I'm getting substantial daily exercise.

Try doing it one way for a week, then try doing it another way. Compare how energetic and healthy you feel in both scenarios, both during each day and at the end of the week. Research other options in a similar manner, trend towards the option that seems to result in the best outcome. Sure, it's a sample set of one, but that's a good enough leap over a null set that it should provide you with some use.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
What was the reason you tried intermittent fasting and what went well about it? Energy levels all over the place does not sound 'well' to me.

I'm all for eating breakfast, but then again I eat all day, at 8-9 semi fixed times during the day between 8am and 10pm. I eat absolutely no snacks before 8 pm though, and drink practically only water.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing intermittent fasting for a year now which means that I only eat from 1pm to 9pm.

So no breakfast.

Oct 25, 2017
How is it going for you? I'm curious about intermittent fasting. How's your energy level, or mental clarity while fasting?

It's great. For me the main benefits has been the weight loss and more energy in general.

Another secret benefit is no time spent in the morning worrying about cooking/eating, which means I sleep more.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Small breakfast. Kick start your metabolism, but don't get your stomach comfortable with being stuffed.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tiny breakfast or no breakfast.

Except when I get free breakfast at hotels. Then I eat like a fucking pig. Might as well just go back to sleep I am so full.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I have lost way more weight by abstaining from eating or having just a banana than having a "small meal". Energy has been just fine, and as an added bonus, I tend to eat smaller lunches.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
An English muffin or a protein bar for me depending on time. I find that if i skip breakfast I end up snacking too much.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It used to be that breakfast was the most important meal of the day.
Then you were supposed to eat three square meals a day.
Then you were supposed to eat a bunch of tiny meals through out the day.
Now you are supposed to starve yourself throughout the day and eat one big meal a day.
Curious what will be next.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Black coffee for breakfast every day, baby

I don't have any issues with energy or hunger in the morning, but I usually get pretty grumpy if I don't have lunch by noon

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
If you are healthy and just looking to stay fit then a healthy breakfast is fine, keeps you fueled.

If you are looking to lose weight no breakfast is pretty good, get more extra hours of intermittent fasting.

No real hard and fast rule, honestly 2 weeks of either one and you will be used to it and fine. Just avoid eating shitty food.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But General Mills told me breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally OMAD everyday and 48 hours fast in Tuesday+Thursday for almost 2 years now. But my advise is just eat when you "need" it.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think our paleolithic ancestors had a breakfast buffet ready and waiting?

NO, they had to go hunt and gather food first.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I personally OMAD everyday and 48 hours fast in Tuesday+Thursday for almost 2 years now. But my advise is just eat when you "need" it.

Wow! I'll ask the same question to you since this is some extreme fasting: how's your energy level and mental clarity while fasting? It's very interesting to me.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm not really following a diet plan right now other than calorie counting/restriction and yeah I skip breakfast (during my work week) to help with that.

However, lately I've been feeling tired all the time, so I'm going to have to start increasing my calorie intake.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's really hard to say as it depends on your fitness goals, your lifestyle, your schedule, your desired diet and etc.

That said, I skip breakfast although it's my favorite meal. I only eat it when on vacation.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe your bio clock is different, but I can't imagine ever feeling healthy waking up at 10. I feel awful whenever I wake up past 8.

Anyway, just eat when you're hungry. Always have a healthy fast snack with you so you don't risk getting hungry and then eating the first shitty thing you can get. Dry nuts are great.

Other than that, make sure you are having all the necessary nutrients daily, vegetables are very important, eat a lot of protein and pick one source of energy, either carbs or fat, never both in abundance.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! I'll ask the same question to you since this is some extreme fasting: how's your energy level and mental clarity while fasting? It's very interesting to me.

Working = have no problem, I tend to be in zoning while work.
Reading = Just don't read about food................
Gaming = Like working if game is good.

My schedule if some of you interest.

OMAD day
Mon/Wed/Fri is gym day, so I eat this day: Gym 17.00-18.00 eat 19.00 typically (sometime gym 18.00 and eat 20.00).
If I'm low of energy for whatever reason, I will eat some before gym at afternoon, maybe some Banana or full meal if so hungry, it will be IF not OMAD that day.
No striction sometime, feeding window can go to 20.00 to 0x.00 if I pull all night.

Long fast day
It I ate too much and weight is above my liking Tue/Thur will be long fast day. Start with last meal from 19.00 Mon and eat again on 19.00 Wed for example.
But if I'm so hungry I just eat, It will be another OMAD day if I'm suddenly hungry before 36 or 40 hours fast.
Today is no gym so no need excuse for IF, ever.

Sat/Sun
Free style, OMAD or IF typically.

Meal plan
once a week
1 Hot Pot buffet day >>> Meat, Tofu, tons of veggies.
1 Japanese Buffet day >>> a lot of salmon sashimi and sushi for DHA and Omega fat

once or twice a month
1-2 BBQ buffet day >>> Not as healthy as hot pot day but I like grill meats...

Common food
- Protein >>> A lot of Eggs, a lot of chicken, a lot of pork, tons of fish if can, less cow because climate. Tofu
- Veggies of all color
- Not so sweet fruit like Cantaloupe, Papaya, Banana or apple if need quick/emergency energy
- Hot spices for better bowel movement
- I like konnyaku but it not common food here. a lot of fibre tho

Avoid
- Useless carb like white bread, white rice.
- Juice and sugary drink.
- sugar in general.

Drink: diet soda with ice. (fasting)
Drink: Plain Milk or Protein shake (feeding window)

Body building/Marathoning/Long distance Cycling so I can eat 2000-3000+ cal a day. Someday above 6000 (maybe), That's why I need long fast from time to time. Traveling also the factor for long fast later too (Travelling is the time I drop pattern)

Another trick: sleep well

Last edited:

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
After more than 20 years of 2 cheese sandwiches with almost half a liter of chocolate milk every morning, I was both addicted and physically used to it. Now I do zero breakfast and just wait for lunch (with if). I rarely have energy fluctuations. If anything, it comes after lunch because I love burgers too much lol.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't eat breakfast or lunch. Just dinner. Most people would hate that. Do what's safe and comfortable for you and remember your temperament if affected by hunger affects everyone around you too.

I would die if I didn't get coffee tho

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
No breakfast. Makes me too hungry for lunch if I eat in the morning. If I don't eat I am totally fine just waiting until noon for lunch.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I haven't eaten before 4pm in years. Honestly kinda crazy how everybody else at work falls apart at noon until they eat.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Don't eat breakfast, like a previous poster I can't eat until I have been awake for a while usually about 3-4 hours, my stomach just seems to need time to prepare itself for the day. I'm weird though, I can't actually sleep on an empty stomach, have to have a sandwich, yogurt or pack of crisps before I can drop off.

Dec 23, 2017
Do you eat normally during the 8 hour window or really watch calories? I'm watching calories this time around to see if I can drop some more weight.
Maybe one meal during the 8 hours. Lots of water and maybe a small cup of coffee and that's it. It can be hard a first but our body's adapt and it's nothing for me to do it now. I also feel great when I'm doing it. I don't feel hungry or like I'm depriving my body of anything.