• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was really sad that I didn't enjoy the gameplay in TLOU. Yes yes, I know it is a cardinal sin among the gaming community. I just did not enjoy the gameplay at all, even if the story and overall product were excellent. I got about 4-5 hours in and just got irritated with it. Came back to it a year later and got maybe a bit further in and same thing. Just ended up watching a play through on Twitch and enjoyed the story that way. Excellent game, just simply not for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Horizon zero Dawn. I was anticipating the game from the early trailers and bought on release date. Got about halfway through the story and dropped it because I wasn't having fun with it.

I finally beat it 2 months ago though.
Same here. The game looks gorgeous, plays beautiful and the setup sure seemed interesting.

But it was so damn boring i quit halfway.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Any Souls game. I tried but I don't find mind-crushing difficulty fun.

Also Tales of Vesperia. I just couldn't get over the comically bad voice acting from Yuri.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3
Tales of Vesperia
South Park Fractured but whole
Axiom Verge

I will however give Witcher 3 a third attempt when it launches on Switch. I bought it twice on PS4 but I couldnt do it.. hoping for handheld mode to make me beat it-

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This is an easy one. Red Dead Redemption 2.

I absolutely loved the first game. One of my favorite game endings of all time. I pre-ordered RDR2 and was in Day 1.... then my excitement slowly waned with the feel of that game. The pace and intentional slowness just took its toll on me. Not to mention the less than stellar controls.

I managed to put about 40 hours into it and then gave up.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein Youngbloods.

It bothers me because I like the Wolfenstein story, but the games have been progressively getting worse. Youngbloods was so bad I couldn't play through just for the story.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
The Witcher 3. I think I delved off the main story too far and became bored (twice). Really want to give it a third shot but just need the time.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I haven't played Monster Hunter World, but it took me a lot longer than 90 minutes to come to grips with Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate and now it's one of my favourite games ever. So maybe stick with it a bit more?

Learning motion controls in Splatoon 2 took me like six hours and that's pretty much my benchmark for determining whether something is challenging to get into or not now. lol

AnthonyUK

Nov 6, 2017
Resi Remake 2 - been a huge Resi fan ever since the first, brought and played nearly all of them, so was eagerly awaiting this. But i just don't get on with the gameplay, i dont know what it is, i play it and then 30 mins later i put it down. As my trophies show i played a little in jan, some in feb, and the last time in May and i want to get into it but its a chore.

Pudie

The Fallen
Aug 19, 2018
Lost of critically acclaimed games, honestly.

BotW - Walk around aimlessly for 20 minutes. Fight some annoying mob, waste weapons, repeat. Never have enough arrows. And the guardians aren't significant enough to make up for it.

Witcher 3 - A bit more immersive of an open world, great acting, love the setting. But the combat just isn't fun and I haven't gone back in months after putting about 30 hours in.

Bloodborne - I'm fine with the "git gud" on the boss fights and I love the atmosphere, but the constant fight back through enemies for a few minutes every time I'm doing it(which is a lot) is tiring. Haven't played other Souls games.

Fallout/Skyrim - Just never clicked with me.

HZD - I beat it, but I thought it was a solid 7/10 and not the generation defining game most people say it is.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control. The story and setting sounded interesting, but... it sucks so hard to play, and even those two aspects I was interested in are not delivered upon as I'd hoped. The story is delivered in an absolutely obtuse manner and about a third of the collectible docs are so dry that they're unreadable. The setting is still interesting in theory, but it is utterly unfit for the sort of game that this is. A lot of other games that I dislike (Witcher III, NieR: Automata, BotW), I'll still pump several dozen hours into so that I can thoroughly express my distaste for them. This one didn't take that long, and it's one of the only times I've ever intentionally dropped a game. I'm still very salty about this one.
Is that why it's dropped in price so quickly? I thought about grabbing it when I saw it for $35 the other day, but I thought better of it and asked myself why such a steep discount so soon. Is there another game you can compare Control to with regard to how it plays? I'm curious.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
Dragon's Dogma
I wanted to played it since the first release but I ended up doing it only last month.
I really couldn't get into the combat system, I found it boring and very very janky, didn't like the pawn system and the plot was very badly narrated.

Velocity 2X
The first one was really a surprise for me. I don't like schmups and I usually HATE time-based stuff, but I ended up loving it and even got the platinum.
After years I finally got my hands on the sequel... and it was another surprise, just not a good one.
I just wanted something more like the first one, but the platforming really killed this for me, and I am the person who usually LOVES platforms games. The constant switch between the ship and the foot sequence was hugely annoying, for me it has murdered the perfect flow and speed of the levels.
I gave up getting the "perfect" about 25% in, I finished it to see if I could finally get into this new flow but I ended up hating the game.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Hollow knight for me, I bought the game the first time it was on a steam sale after it released because of how much praise the game seemed to get from everyone. It seemed like a sure thing for me to enjoy the game because I love metroidvania games, but the game just rubbed me the wrong way. In the end I did finish the game but I really had to force myself to play it because I wasnt having fun. As time went on and the dlcs released I was even more disappointed I didnt like it because its such a good value for the price with what they have added in.

alejo0121

Oct 27, 2017
I never played FFX / X-2 so I bought the HD Remaster... I'm not enjoying it at all and I'm more than 20 hours into the game. Maybe I had very high expectations because all that I've read/heard and the game hasn't aged well?

Also... I hate blitzball

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently, Fire Emblem: Three Houses. People absolutely raving about it and it honestly couldn't be more boring/uninteresting if it tried.

The Monastery has to be the most unexcited hub world I've ever had the displeasure of exploring.

Ah well.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Is that why it's dropped in price so quickly? I thought about grabbing it when I saw it for $35 the other day, but I thought better of it and asked myself why such a steep discount so soon. Is there another game you can compare Control to with regard to how it plays? I'm curious.
It seems like my opinion (regardless of how firmly I believe in it) is somehow an outlier, as I've seen the game garner generally positive reception. It's already sort of a budget title, so perhaps that is why we're already seeing it drop into budget pricing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If took me a while before I got into MHW. An hour and a half doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of that game. I also think you need to be mindful of what style you play as they can effect your enjoyment. For me the game I could not really get into was Red Dead Redemption 2.
Nah, I personally think the game is too clunky in how it plays and is not at all satisfying to engage. Great for others who can but this is not for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, having played through all the Dark Souls games.

I love my PS4 even now, yet still haven't finished Bloodborne. I bounce off it every attempt, the furthest of which being some area I think close to the Rom encounter.

Maybe one day...
Hey! At least you get to Rom. I think for someone who doesn't really enjoy that game, you got pretty far. Midway point, I'd say.

Resi Remake 2 - been a huge Resi fan ever since the first, brought and played nearly all of them, so was eagerly awaiting this. But i just don't get on with the gameplay, i dont know what it is, i play it and then 30 mins later i put it down. As my trophies show i played a little in jan, some in feb, and the last time in May and i want to get into it but its a chore.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure others read my opinion regarding MHW and ask how the hell I can't enjoy playing that game, and here I feel the same about your experience with RE2. Not that your opinion is any less valid but it sucks when a game that's so critically acclaimed just doesn't click for some people, so I understand.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
does not being able to play a game with great gameplay because of it's blatant misoginy counts ?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Definitely Monster Hunter World

I'm a huge MH fan and have over 500 hours clocked in MHP3rd and MH2G, but there's just something wrong with World, it's world building and overall game design just feels too artificial and patronizing.

It's definitely the least enjoyable Monster Hunter title for me. I didn't even get to the final Monster.

I forced about 70 hours into MHW, with my friends convincing me to keep playing until ''it gets good'' but it never really did. Game is a mess in my opinion, and the weapon designer should be fucking fired, half of the longswords looks almost the same, what the fuck. Realism my fucking ass.

The game feels way too easy most of the time, like there's just too much shit trying to help you as a player and I feel like I'm in a confined video game all the damn time. The MHWorld building of World is much worse than the PSP games, which does a lot with very little in my opinion.

Honestly I had very little fun with World, I can't even recall ever liking the game at all, I feel like I wasted most of my time hoping for it to click.

Another thing I want to say is that MHWorld doesn't feel rewarding at all, nothing feels valuable in this game, everything just drops like candy. I feel like I'm playing an MH game made by people who rage quit MH games and wants to make everything easier and less rewarding. It feels like an MH title made for people who couldn't get into MH games, and I guess they succeed in some ways, but in my eyes I think the game is very dumbed down and shallow, also extremely unsatisfying. Even with friends I feel bored all the time, the new monsters are all shit as well. Just look at Iceborne, people are only excited about the old monsters.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Guilty Gear Xrd. I love the aesthetics, music and world of Guilty Gear but I can't even get a foothold on the basics of learning the series since they're too complex now and the tutorials are bad. Even when I played a lot of X and XX back in the day I wasn't playing the games 'correctly', I was happy just messing around with the story mode and stuff. There isn't really any interesting singleplayer content and while I enjoyed the story it was non-interactive. Obviously, going online is a fool's errand. I did get some fun matches in with my roommate who is just as bad as I am but that's about it.

I get the problem is that I just haven't put the time in, but even when I tried I felt like I couldn't quite wrap my head around the use of airdashes etc. But I still want to like Guilty Gear. I'd love for them to make the new one more accessible (and I don't mean just mashing autocombos) but the community seems to be in the middle of a backlash against the concept of fighting games being enjoyed by those of average skill level. See SFV.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey. Lack of platforming elements and boring world design. Here's to hoping the next Mario game is more like 3D World. Heck, just port over 3D World, I've been dying to play in on Switch.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Monster Hunter World for me too.

Try and try as much as I can, but I've had major trouble just getting to grips with it. Feel like its the kind of game that I need to have an ipad on hand to have any idea what i'm doing. Just felt like it could do with a bit more explanation of some of the systems but it just didnt click with me and i've not really gone back to it.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Elite Dangerous - when it became the amount of time and mental capacity commitment the game would require to fully get into it. A huge shame because there is so much I love - the sensation of flying, leaving space stations and dashing through asteroids, plus the frankly awesome sound design.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could never get into Vanquish which was disappointing. The controls just didn't click with me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Rain World. I ignored some of the criticism, hoping I could be among those who rate it highly. Sadly, I found the game unfun to play and punishing :@(
Rain World for me too. Followed it for so long for it's brilliant animation work and ecosystemic world but couldn't get into it when actually playing it.

Apr 24, 2018
I'll sort of put rogue-lites in here. Once I have a few winning runs, I've not found a hook to keep playing a rogue-lite indefinitely (and beyond the minimal win conditions) ever since pumping in 150 or so hours into the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never played FFX / X-2 so I bought the HD Remaster... I'm not enjoying it at all and I'm more than 20 hours into the game. Maybe I had very high expectations because all that I've read/heard and the game hasn't aged well?

Also... I hate blitzball

Blitzball is genuinely fucking horrible. FFX is filled with horrendous mini-games, but Blitzball is the worst.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Currently, Fire Emblem Three Houses. Although that might have to do with me being super busy and tired then the game itself. Just don't have time for a big RPG with a million systems I have to manage these d

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The camera in The Wonderful 101 is off putting to me. Like, I totally get why an isometric view is needed to make the game function, but in the context of it being a high octane action game it just made me feel completely detached from what was happening.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Subnautica. I'm so done with resource-heavy games now. I've done it so much that whenever I need to go mine or hunt for a resource, I feel like turning the game off.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It's The Witcher 3 for me. On paper it's a game I should be losing my mind over, and for some reason I just have a lot of trouble getting into it. I think part of it is I play on console and the fonts can be a little small, which frustrates me. I really hope I can do a playthrough eventually though because I feel like I'm missing out on something special there.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Undertale. I absolutely love how appreciative the fandom is towards this game, constantly producing all sorts of fan content... too bad I found the game to basically be a visual novel dressed up with RPG/shmup trappings. I also didn't really appreciate the railroading found in the pacifist ending. I mean, I didn't really want to go to Undyne's house but it felt like the game was judging me for choosing to not go to the house of a confirmed zealot who murders for a cause, even if I sympathize with her feelings on the matter.

does not being able to play a game with great gameplay because of it's blatant misoginy counts ?
All ears! Hit me with it!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World for me. Heard so much clamor for it. Watched a lot of videos. Everything looked seamless. Helped that it was selling well so I thought that if others could play it easily, I would as well.

Unfortunately I tried playing a little over an hour and a half of it the other day and I cannot get over the fact that I genuinely dislike how it controls and plays. But it's worse because everything else I see is appealing to me and I'd love to explore the world, if only I felt comfortable playing it. Now I have to sell it off because I don't see myself ever getting over this.

This is probably my most recent disappointment.

Quoting this post because it perfectly describes my reaction to when I was finally allowed to engage in combat. The visceral reaction of "EW, NO" was exactly described.

You need to give Monster Hunter another try, OP. I had the exact same initial reaction to the combat at first, but then I picked a weapon that looked fun and looked up its weapon guide on youtube. The systems in Monhun are complicated and can seem sluggish at first, but you soon realize that everything is balanced around patience, timing, and deliberately attacking certain parts of the monsters. The game suuuucks at first when you don't know what the hell you're doing. Please consider giving my suggestion a try.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'll go with Final Fantasy XII. It's the Final Fantasy game that has disappointed me the most because I really thought it would be much better. While I like FFXIII and FFXV a lot less, I didn't think those games would be very good, so they didn't exactly disappoint.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
All ears! Hit me with it!

From the top of my head:

Dragon's Crown, awesome gameplay, absolutely huge misogynistic art. Managed to play considerably a lot for a game I would not pay 1 cent if they released for the switch even if the game would be my GOTY otherwise
Street Fighter V (specially online), fan of the franchise but some of the designs and camera angles =| Played a little to unlock Sakura and then some story mode and arcade and never again
Senran Kagura, I like beat em ups but the gameplay looks interesting but the cloth damage mechanics....played 5 minutes and noped hard as fuck

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Dragon Age 2

Persona 5

Two games I would have put money on being soon-to-be-favorites. Dragon Age 2 is a straight up bad game, and Persona 5 is very mediocre over far too long a period to justify (Finished it, but the best think I can say about it was that it is that it has good style and was easy to play while I worked out.)

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The Witcher.

I actually really enjoy the games. But The Witcher 3 is just incredibly overwhelming. It's dropping so many side quests on me, and I start to drown and lose my way since I don't like to progress in the main story till I cover the side quests. So the game just loses its enjoyment. If I become easily overwhelmed, it will completely kill the game for me.

Assassins Creed Origins was this way as well.

Open world games need to follow Rockstars standard where there's only a set amount of side missions available in between main missions.

Jul 26, 2018
Really old game but it was Transformers Dark of the Moon movie game (2011).

I was a kid, so pumped for the movie and the game, even pre-ordered it with my own bday money. After buying it, I was so disappointed on bad it was.. it was a huge letdown to the Transformers community. It was so unplayable it wasn't even funny.

I went online, and this introduced me to game reviews like IGN, Gamespot, Angry Joe? I think he was around there but I may be wrong. This also convinced me to not buy pre-order games anymore and to this day I still never have.

BUT.. I did pre-ordered the Cyberpunk 2077 CE yet Gamestop being Gamestop and they cancelled my order without notifying me and same for others.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Right now this is me with Astral Chain so far. I was enamored with it at first, but I hit the middle Files where they started to become more bloated side content, and the scoring system seems super wonky and hard to get a handle for.

I adore Metal Gear Rising, DMC, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, so I was so ready to love every bit of this. And I did, but small things are adding up to really sour my opinion overall on it. The combat is still awesome, but everything inbetween, and even some combat choices (like deciding to add slime everywhere to some arenas, or making some flyers never come close to you) is just starting to drive me totally nuts.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Horizon, Draqon Quest, Persona 5, and Dragon's Dogma. Each one of them has something that I find really interesting, but everytime I try to play them, my eyes glaze over and I lose interest.

The Visual Novel/Adventure genre. Watching stuff like 999/Zero Escape from one of my fave youtubers really shows how intriguing these can be, but the boon of watching them versus playing them means that I can do something else while also experiencing that story, which I can't do if I'm the one playing. I really want to try AI after getting through 999 and VLR, but I don't think I'd be able to devote the attention to it it deserves, since it's just puzzles and story.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Shadow of War: I bought it after they removed the stupid stuff but it felt so much tiring to me and i eventually uit->uninstall.

Yep. I didn't love Shadow of Mordor, but it's a LOTR game, so I played it and beat it, and it was fine. Shadow of War was just them forcing the nemesis system so far down your throat. I just wanted to play through the story stuff, again, because I love LOTR lore no matter how poorly some of it is handled (ie. Shelob), but they won't even let you get to that part with out clearing out Nemesis tree after Nemesis tree and it just stopped being fun. I wish there was a way you could skip all the grinding and just play through the story missions, but they just made it way too hard for me to even try to enjoy that game.