• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Days gone sort of does this a few times actually. I didn't mind though because I was really into it. Riding south, then riding south again to
find sarah
And then again when
the escape plan blows up and you go back north

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few that got me which have already been mentioned so I'll go with Wild Arms. The funeral scene in Wild Arms threw me off with the credits and I was so happy when I realized it was continuing. This theme didn't help either.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
this is such a great feeling when you're enjoying the hell out of a game

its a reason to quit in other situations

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
okami, 3 times
but i didnt mind
Kid Icarus uprising, although I suspected the game couldn't be so short, but it still was way longer and crazier than what I expected.
And the way the reveal was handled was magnificent
Yeah, I definitely suspected these games were longer than I was led to believe, but I was still pleasantly surprised by just HOW much longer and DEEPER they were. Amazing games.

I would say Pokemon Gold/Silver was the only time where I truly didn't think there was more after the Elite 4, but my memory of that game is paper thin.

Lucc

Oct 29, 2017
All the tales of games feel like they are about to end but actually shit starts to hit the fan every time.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
How about the opposite? I had that issue with Nier Automata which I felt like just ended abruptly after that boss fight (yes I know you're supposed to play through two more times but I just couldn't bring myself to do that).

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Unfortunately, when I was a kid, magazines and instruction manuals spoiled everything. The World of Ruin isn't much of a twist when the game comes with a map listing its every locale...

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Castlevania. I beat Shaft and really thought that was it. Then reloaded the game and through exploration found all the stuff I needed to unlock the upside down castle, and I thought, "Oh neat a secret level." After awhile, I realized that what I thought was the end wasn't even close.

Playing Red Dead Redemption 1 and getting Abigail back I thought it was going to end there after the horse ride home.
Then John gets killed and I think Ok it's going to end there. Then there's more!

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
Dragon's Dogma. You defeat the big Bad Dragon and think that that is it.... and then a whole new part of the game begins!

membran

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight. I was sure to be near the end about three times, only for the map to open up some more.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
In The Witcher 3, I was convinced the battle of Kaer Morhen would be the finale. I also kinda wished it would be, since the game felt overlong at that point.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I got to the ending of MGS V

and then I realized it had no ending

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Dragon Quest XI, the thread. The second half of the game is literally after the credits roll.
okami, 3 times but i didnt mind
yes I love Okami but... yeah. That game is a bit longer than it probably should be. Feels like three different games. One of the few cases in which despite liking the game I groaned. The pacing was so bad in that game, and although the ACTUAL ending is satisfying, I really wish it wasn't structured the way it was. Orochi feels like a final boss. And then you realize he was the 1/3 point of the game

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
The first time this happened to me was with Final Fantasy VII. I was young and I didn't have much experiences with RPGs. It took me ten hours to get to the end of the Shinra HQ, and with the way the story is written, I honestly thought I was near the end of the game. Then, this happens:

FFVII_World_Map_Midgar.jpg

I was hit with the realization that the game was, in fact, just starting. Needless to say, my mind was blown. I was overcome with the feeling that I was experiencing something very special. And I was.

To this day, this moment remains one of my favorite moments of all time, alongside booting Super Mario 64 for the first time and marveling at what was being presented to me.
Ahh, I had a very similar feeling there and it saddens me that for the remake, it WILL be an ending.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Bioshock 1. Constantly. And the game suffered for it.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Okami was wild with that shit. I stopped playing for months after that first "ending" because I couldn't handle the pacing lol

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
FFVI . The broken world stunned me. What an amazing game. It really deserves a remake.
Disclaimer, FF VI is my second favorite game of all time. However, unlike FF VII, Okami, DQ XI and the likes, The Ruin World doesn't feel like the ending. The other games kinda bait and switch you, but with FF VI it's very clear the game isn't ending yet

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
The first that comes to mind is mgs3. I just remember scene after fight after scene after fight after scene and my head as spinning. It was also really late and I was exhausted because I thought the game was over, but kept on going.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also very recently Borderlands 3 does this multiple times. Sometimes it was clearly meant to be intentional and other times it wasn't.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was actually thinking about this earlier in regards to Shenmue 2

You arrive at Guilin at long last, and I assumed things were about to wrap up because it seemed like a good stopping point...

celjaded.com_.jpg

But nope, you have like 6 more hours of game. I started it at around 10pm so by the time it was wrapping up I felt just as exhausted as the characters probably did and it was one of those weirdly immersive moments only a game like Shenmue can deliver.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
How has nobody said Metal Gear Solid 5 yet?

Wut, we're still waiting for MGS5 final act.

MGS5 is a game where you though you had still a ways to go, only to find it had finished.
Granted, it took like 70hours but the story wasn't fully resolved.

Edit:
Shenmue 2 is a good one.
The battle on the rooftop and Lan Di's face acknowledging the progresses Ryo has made was the logical way to end the game on a high note, but then the game goes on a few more hours at a much different pace. I absolutely loved what they did there.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
FFVI . The broken world stunned me. What an amazing game. It really deserves a remake.
This might be the only game to ever do this to me. I guess I was like 13 when it came out, and was pretty convinced that I was about to win the game up until I didn't. In FFVII I was just like when the hell do I get to the god damn world map already?!?

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happened three or four times with The Evil Within 2. That is a long game with, like, four different main antagonists.