• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Prototype 2. I was hyped for months and even bought the limited edition. As soon as I realized that the open world was divided in sections, I knew it was going to suck.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Blood borne. I fucking hate super hard games even if I can play them (too old for this shit) and I regretted my decision after my first death. I now understand I was supposed to die, but the game hardly explains that.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I have a new entry even though I already posted. I finally tried Horizon in my PS5, I've had it since the PS5 launched, lol. I just cut it off after the first 15 minutes. The camera is so close to Aloy and behaved so erratically that it made me ill. Oof.

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
Today FO76 is BGS' best game since Morrowind. Don't @ me.

When I tried it out a few months ago, the performance seemed pretty awful. Constant frame drops and hitching on a 3070/5600x turned me off pretty quickly despite wanting to explore the world. I'll have to give it another shot...I have a feeling it's due to the online aspect/other players. They have a solo option if you pay for their subscription thing right? Private servers essentially.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
When I tried it out a few months ago, the performance seemed pretty awful. Constant frame drops and hitching on a 3070/5600x turned me off pretty quickly despite wanting to explore the world. I'll have to give it another shot...I have a feeling it's due to the online aspect/other players. They have a solo option if you pay for their subscription thing right? Private servers essentially.

Oh yeah. I have Fallout 1st for the private worlds and play with 2 other friends, runs totally fine on 3600x/2080

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
There are a few recent games I've bought where I immediately had to nope out because the UI was disastrous and a legit accessibility problem for me due to sensory overload, especially strategy games. The anxiety it brings just isn't worth it. Mostly caused by too many things scattered too far across the screen in too small a space - not helped by the fact that everything is often blended into the same 'minimalist' colour scheme where everything blends together into one tone. The half-remake-half-remaster of Rome: Total War (the original being a favourite of mine) was really bad for this, and I even tried politely voicing concerns over the accessibility and got brushed off over it by a dev. Ugh.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
This happens to me a lot from mobile games. I like puzzles and 3 match puzzle games…

But it keeps happening, so I just avoid it altogether.

Oct 29, 2017
Kengo Master of Bushido - I played Bushido Blade 1 and 2 almost nonstop with my friends. Wanting a PS2 Bushido Blade was the reason I wanted a PS2. Kengo was hyped up as a spiritual successor, but it happened to lack any fun whatsoever. It took only one round of one match to figure that out. This one stung as I paid far more than the others.

The Void - One minute in, gameplay seemed cryptic and not too fun, but I hoped it might get better. Twenty minutes later, my initial reaction was proven correct. This was one of my first Steam sale purchases, and I really don't remember what compelled me to buy it.

Flotilla - This one looked neat, but it was also an early steam purchase. I don't really remember why I didn't like it, but it shows only 6 minutes played on steam.

Binding of Isaac and A Robot Named Fight - clearly lots of people enjoy both of these games, but I was already on the verge of puking from the artstyle before I could even control my characters. I gave each a few tries, but I soon erased each from my system. I think I got Isaac in a humble bundle, but I was already on the fence about it. I was psyched for Fight, but waited for a sale and even then regretted my purchase.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If we want to be extremely literal: Liftoff. I'm not entirely sure if I realized literally within the first minute but it was very, very close.

I bought it during a Steam sale because it looked like a cool drone racing game. Little did I know that it's actually a drone SIMULATOR, as in you really should have an actual FPV drone controller and know how to fly a real drone before you play it. And no, a normal video game controller is not an adequate substitute. This one's my fault because I think if I'd read more of the reviews I would've realized how hardcore a simulator it was, and as far as I can tell it's a very good simulator, but as it is it's basically useless to me.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
915FDVXmJ+L._SL1500_.jpg

Painful disappointment in the early 90s

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
Happens all the time, got ADHD so I impulse buy a lot of games. My current backlog across all consoles and pc is currently about 350+. Thats games ive either played for a few minutes or others I bought and never got around to playing.

As far for games that I was hoping would be decent and turned out to be crap and I just switched it off. Cyberpunk and No Mans Sky are the two most recent I can remember. I get NMS has be updated but I just dont want to play it

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
The only game I returned after a few minutes was Twisted Metal 2.

Loved the first but the tech was awful and I went in expecting major improvements. There weren't, plus the game felt too much like the first on the surface. Also, it was super expensive (import) and I immediately regretted the purchase.

I ended up buying it again down the line and loving it eventually. Me and my brother would go for a full co-op playthrough almost daily for several months, which makes it one of my most played games ever.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Zelda 1 GBA port. Totally regretted having asked for it for christmas back in like 2004. After OoT GC port & Wind Waker the year before, and ALttP GBA the year before those, I shoulda known better. That any fun the Zelda series once had for me was quite dead. I extremely gave up on playing the game real quickly. At least Minish Cap came out shortly afterwards and was alright. Haven't touched the series beyond that an likely never will.

Oct 25, 2017
A Dynasty Warriors clone Mystic Heros for the Gamecube.

Pretty dang bad.
This is a great one. Played for 1 hour before I was bored to tears. I was around 12 at the time too, couldn't be more the target demographic as an edgy teen looking to play some mindless violence, and even still I couldn't play another minute.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
That Max Payne game with those fucked up cutscenes. I was immediately nauseous and couldn't play anymore

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Watchdogs Legion. Ran like ass, looked like ass, was poorly written, boringly presented and the more it opened, the more it looked like it was behind its prequel in basically all aspects. Just busy work and an amazing idea that was not explored enough.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Devils Third - I bought it for $9. I wanted my money back after the first level. It's not so bad it's good. It's just bad

Dragonball FighterZ - I just wanted a traditional fighting game mode, choose a fighter, fighter others. I don't care for the story or maps or any of that other shit. Maybe I should have spend more time with it but I just couldn't be bothered.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Valkyria chronicles

Thought it looked cool. Didn't do any research going jn, thought it would be a jrpg or something.

Booted it up oh shit it's a tactics game.

I hate tactics games.

Played a couple levels to see if it would grow on me but nope.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I remember I bought Call of Duty Ghosts or something before and I waited at the 9 am store opening to get it as soon as I could. I played maybe a match or could two of the online multiplayer and just hated it.

I took the bus back into town and by lunch time I traded it in for store credit. Can't remember what I got instead but at least I got as much value back from it as I could.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Most recent example? Inscryption. Sorry… I kept hearing how it's a card game, but…! And I couldn't get past the card game to see the but.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resident_Evil_6_box_artwork.png

first time when release for the ps3/360 and again on sale when my friend need game footage.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
mass effect legendary edition

never finished the first 2 when I tried way back when not sure why I thought I would go through this series this time lol.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
For me it is was Project Sylpheed on the Xbox 360.

The game was advertised as a spiritual successor to the shmup Silpheed and yet the in-game gameplay is is nothing like Silpheed. It plays closer to a 3D Rail shooter like Star Fox or Sin and Punishment. Despite several of the original SETA devs that created Silpheed working on the game, it didn't feel like an actual follow up.

Not saying Project Sylpheed is a bad game or anything and maybe with the right mindset I'd appreciate it more but reading the title and the back of the box and the previews leading up to release implying it was basically a Silpheed follow up in all but name and gameplay felt nothing like the predecessors gave me some certain expectations that definitely weren't met.

Last edited:

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
It was only a rental rather than a purchase, but as soon as the gameplay started in Ultima: Warriors of Destiny for NES I knew it was a waste of a pick. Usually we would rent two games at a time though so whatever the other one was just got extra play time

I regretted my purchase of Toe Jam and Earl Back in the Groove less than 24 hours later when I learned unrepentant abusive boss Matt Conn was the producer, but I suppose that's a different circumstance than what this thread is asking for.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
For me, it'll always be Two Worlds. I was riding the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion high back then, and IGN marketing was going in HARD on the game. I feel for it hook, line, and sinker. My partner at the time watched me turn it on excitedly, and then rather shortly in, someone said "Forsooth!" with some truly terrible voice acting, and as he lost it laughing I realized I had been hoodwinked and was in for a bad time.

…I still bought and put multiple hours into Two Worlds 2. There's something wrong with me.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
That Magna Carta game for PS2 that Atlus released in America. I literally played one battle, took the game out, and traded it in.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Godfall and Assassin's Creed Valhalla; bought these games along with my PS5(at launch) and haven't played more than ~15 minutes of each; totally should've waited for them to hit bargain bin prices…

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5. What an absolute shit show. I kinda knew what to expect (I thought I did) until I looked at the weirdo store and played 10 minutes of multiplayer. One of my favorite franchises put in a bucket and pissed on. The cherry on top and kick in the gut were the rave reviews it received.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
Super Time Force Ultra, it just didn't click.
I kept it, to remind me of my stupidity.

Didn't go past 12 minutes played.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I started The Amazing Spider-man 2 on ps3, and whenever I saw you had to get a loading screen for a crime in progress, and another loading screen to get you out of it, I uninstalled it.