• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Sometimes saving the universe is too much to bear, so dying in space sounds like the best option

Do I really want to help this creepy, unsettling woman?
Nah, I'll just burn and die.

May 19, 2020

the context here is that serah basically chooses a fake dream world vs. actually saving the world and eventually they just lose themselves in the fantasy and the idea of leaving that fake world frightens her to the core

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There are several secret endings in Nier Automata where you essentially "nope out" of the situation and the ending just states you walked away to go do something else.

Zakard

Oct 25, 2017
There was one encounter In The Evil Within 2, where if you run straight out of the church Sebastian will say something like "fuck that"

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
The end of the Sinnerman quest line in Cyberpunk gave me an out, and I took it. I then loaded up a save to see what I was missing, and I wish it didn't.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Stick of Truth has a great non-standard game over where you decide you don't want to deal with the bomb.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This happens a lot with factions and covenants in Souls/Bloodborne games.

Some guy talks to you for like twenty seconds and then asks if you want to swear your life to his cause.

Uh, can I get back to you later? Can you tell me more? No?

I'll just be on my way then.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Prey
allows you to just nope the fuck off of Talos 1, much to the scolding of your brother, causes a game over though.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
In the beginning of Shadow Complex, main character is hiking with his girlfriend and they end up stumbling upon a strange hi-tech facility where the captured girlfriend is dragged in by the guards. Instead of venturing deeper in the complex to rescue her as intended you can just return to your car and drive off while main character nonchalantly says there's "plenty of fish in the sea" and credits roll.

Last edited:

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
There was one segment in The Last of Us 2 where you're going through an infected area to retrieve an item and as soon as you pick it up a stalker darts by to signal the start of an encounter. The stalkers are my least favorite part of that game, so instead of actually trying to go through the encounter like normal, I sprinted past all the enemies and made it to the exit. I was only playing on normal, but the game didn't really know how to handle that. It worked though, and I made it out of there without having to deal with any of that.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden 2 has a secret ending during the segment where you run away. If you repeatedly refuse to return, the army leaders tell you that they're disgusted with you and you get the end credits over a shot of a cabin in the woods.

Pillars 2 also opens with you
being able to refuse to come back to life and instead return to the cycle

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Not so much noping out, but both Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 and Tales of Xillia 2 have an alternate end path where you fight against the decision the game gives you, which ends up with you fighting and killing all of your party members and main characters in the previous game as they try to stop you. The endings for those obviously say that nothing really was resolved at all.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Anytime an npc looks directly into the camera in a 1st person game and acts like I've known them my whole life. I don't care about you.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Cave Story has a character offering to give you a ride off the island just before the final parts of the game. You get an ending of the bad guy taking over the world and you hiding away if you pick that.

Not so much noping out, but both Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 and Tales of Xillia 2 have an alternate end path where you fight against the decision the game gives you, which ends up with you fighting and killing all of your party members and main characters in the previous game as they try to stop you. The endings for those obviously say that nothing really was resolved at all.

I don't think it counts for this thread but in a somewhat similar vein, Armored Core 4 Answer has the ending path C where instead of either helping the govt maintain the current order or the rebels to overthrow it you just go full on genocidal, first killing hundreds of millions of civilians to make a point and then having to fight every named character in the game in a single mission. This is the canon ending. AC5 takes place in the world that rose from the ashes of your apocalypse.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Suikoden 2 has a secret ending during the segment where you run away. If you repeatedly refuse to return, the army leaders tell you that they're disgusted with you and you get the end credits over a shot of a cabin in the woods.

Wait, what? I've been obsessed with Suikoden II ever since it came out and I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about this. I really need to do a replay.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I don't think it counts for this thread but in a somewhat similar vein, Armored Core 4 Answer has the ending path C where instead of either helping the govt maintain the current order or the rebels to overthrow it you just go full on genocidal, first killing hundreds of millions of civilians to make a point and then having to fight every named character in the game in a single mission. This is the canon ending. AC5 takes place in the world that rose from the ashes of your apocalypse.

Not entirely related to the thread either, but I rather like the idea of bad/incomplete endings being canon endings, they tend to set up more interesting scenarios for sequels. It would actually be great if there were more "what if they NOPED"-sequels for games, that would tell about consequences of predecessor's protagonist either failing or giving up.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Way of the samurai 1. as soon as the game starts you can turn around and leave.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not entirely related to the thread either, but I rather like the idea of bad/incomplete endings being canon endings, they tend to set up more interesting scenarios for sequels. It would actually be great if there were more "what if they NOPED"-sequels for games, that would tell about consequences of predecessor's protagonist either failing or giving up.
And as an example of that, Dragon Quest Builders follows the "bad ending" of Dragon Quest 1, the infamous "will you join me?" question from the final boss that wipes your save if you say yes. I guess the original could be considered a form of noping out, instead of fighting the boss you give up on your quest.

Other examples of "join me" endings where you just end the game right there are Contra Hard Corps (on the path to the best ending you can agree to join Bahamut's troops and end up building a dictatorship with him) and Infinity Blade (if you beat the final boss's first phase you get asked to join him, if you agree your run ends there, I don't remember if that had any special consequences for your subsequent runs).

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
And as an example of that, Dragon Quest Builders follows the "bad ending" of Dragon Quest 1, the infamous "will you join me?" question from the final boss that wipes your save if you say yes. I guess the original could be considered a form of noping out, instead of fighting the boss you give up on your quest.

Other examples of "join me" endings where you just end the game right there are Contra Hard Corps (on the path to the best ending you can agree to join Bahamut's troops and end up building a dictatorship with him) and Infinity Blade (if you beat the final boss's first phase you get asked to join him, if you agree your run ends there, I don't remember if that had any special consequences for your subsequent runs).

Let's you agree with the final boss' views and fuse with him, the villain assuming full control of the new entity's personality. Then you get to kill your party in an "unlosable" battle before getting the game over

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Oboro's chapter in Live A Live lets you just leave the castle and abandon your mission

then your ninja clan tries to murder you

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
NieR Automata does for a bunch of instances...but two lines of dialogue doesnt satisfy much by way of epilogue.

Xenoblade games are wonderful in that they don't really penalize losses at all. A boss fight is too hard? You'll respawn a few feet from it and you can leave and level up or whatever. Xenoblade (X most of all) is basically about nopeing the fuck out of most over-sized and over-levelled encounters by running like hell ( and again, in X, moonjumping away or using your mech to fly the fuck away). But....eh. There are better examples.

And effectively most Breath of Fire [bad] endings can qualify.

88-SLUS_004.22_04022013_175711_0241.png

91-Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)081.png

92-Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)082.png

97-Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)087.png

96-Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)086.png

100-Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)090.png

101-Breath_of_Fire_II_(USA)091.png

Breath of Fire IV's ending is the best and most intense. It lets you play AS the final boss in a one-sided fight where you win against your party.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I love this. While the solution to this is humorous, it still makes perfect sense considering the in-game logic. For those who don't know what's it about

The picture is from the first Monkey Island game and you've been dumped into the sea to die with a weight attached to your feet. Now there's all these sharp objects around you, from swords, to scissors and a saw to cut the rope with, but you can't quite reach them. The solution is simply to pick up the weight, put it into your pocket and then get out of the water. This is also the only part in the game where you can die. Guybrush says earlier in the game that he can hold his breath for 10 minutes. This is true, it takes 10 minutes to drown in this scene.

Oh man, Gilbert getting to do another Monkey Island (preferably with Tim Schafer) would be my Half-Life/ShenMue 3 moment.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The Witcher 3, when you can let the Baron go alone.

I let that quest for later and I'm still feeling guilty lol

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
At the start of Pillars of Eternity 2 you can pretty much tell a god to go pound sand and get a game over. Thought it was nice because so many WRPGs let you tell off powerful people, but many of them just have them giving you angry looks instead of you know crushing you like the bug you are at that moment.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I can't find the video on the net or an image, but in the Doraemon RPG on NES, at the very beginning, Doraemon asks for your help.
You can choose to say no several times until Doaremon cries, gives up and walks away crying. And it's game over!
doraemon-rpg-gameover.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
In Halo games, on higher difficulties, often running like hell past enemies to the next section is your best option for survival.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
You can just say say no in Golden Sun at the start of the adventure. Funny thing is its presented as the bad ending, but in context of the story its actually not bad.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
In Majora's Mask you can just do nothing and let the moon fall down and destroy everything.