• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017

Shit, yeah. Ditko, not Kirby.

Nah. You do need some context for the scene for her tone to make more sense. In this life, Moria created a mutant cure and it was about to be distributed. Mystique's Brother
hood of Mutants had just raided her lab and killed all the scientists and research.

This is when Destiny realizes what Moria is and needs to make very clear what the will happen if Moria continues her work in another life.

When she appears later she is much more in line with Claremont's voice for her.

Thank God, that sounds awesome. I've been itching to start reading Dawn of X, this may be it.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I dunno, I love Hickman but his dialogue is his own, and usually contrasts a lot with how characters acted before (IMHO). Like the snarkiness especially is off the charts.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't think Mega Man is that exact. Commander Data has elements of Astro Boy, too but he's not a rip off.

It's no secret Keiji Inafune and his team looked to their youth when creating the earliest Mega Man characters, and this article brings up a good argument with the likes of Quick Man's design inspiration.

In the case for Blue-and-cyan-with-a-gun-for-a-hand, Warrior of Love Rainbowman, Mazinger, Mach Go Go! (Speed Racer), Casshern, Time Bokan, Kamen Rider, Kikaider, but mainly the tokusatsu series Ninja Captor all had a hand in the Blue Bomber's design aesthetics outside of the Ozamu Tezuka character in question.

Especially with the case of Rainbowman and Casshern, the influence is appropriate once you consider Rockman's trademark ability of changing color (when using a special weapon) or Rush being able to transform into a submarine.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah way more interesting, i still don't get why people feel the need to give Hawkman a go every few years. It never works out and no one cares
Oh we're gonna shit on Hawkman in this thread?

Eddie-Murphy-Is-Not-Sure-About-His-Approval-Head-Nod.gif

I will have my revenge.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
"What's your power?"

"I can fly. With my wings."

"... Half the league can fly. Without wings."

"I also have a mace. No, not an electrified one, just like an olden times mace."

"..."

"And my superpower is similar to Donna Troy where people have to jump through hoops to make sense of my continuity. I'm pretty sure I was reinvented as Wolverine with wings the last time before this."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Three pages and I didn't see anyone mention Arrow.

stephen-amell-arrow-season-7-finale-1557827847.jpg

4z7mra.jpg

My girlfriend/tech support was also wheelchair bound, I have a secret cave, both my parents were killed, and I'm generally paranoid, obsessed, a self-professed loner yet keep expanding my Arrow-Family, and generally an unpleasant person to be around.

But yes, call me Green Arrow.

Dec 30, 2020
who-protector1.jpg

Don't forget The Protector, aka Sir-Robin-Not-Appearing-in-this-Comic.

Honestly I think Robin was currently under a fruit-pie advertisement contract or something wacky like that.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
It's no secret Keiji Inafune and his team looked to their youth when creating the earliest Mega Man characters, and this article brings up a good argument with the likes of Quick Man's design inspiration.

In the case for Blue-and-cyan-with-a-gun-for-a-hand, Warrior of Love Rainbowman, Mazinger, Mach Go Go! (Speed Racer), Casshern, Time Bokan, Kamen Rider, Kikaider, but mainly the tokusatsu series Ninja Captor all had a hand in the Blue Bomber's design aesthetics outside of the Ozamu Tezuka character in question.

Especially with the case of Rainbowman and Casshern, the influence is appropriate once you consider Rockman's trademark ability of changing color (when using a special weapon) or Rush being able to transform into a submarine.
I don't doubt that tokusatsu had a major hand in Mega Man. Flashman was even based on the Sentai from 1986-87 (not the current Sentai during the development of 2, but only two years old,) but there's a difference between influence and rip off is all I'm saying.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
tumblr_oela0aiEtI1va4adro2_1280.jpg

The Shadow in the Dave Stevens Rocketeer comic, using the alias Jonas instead of Lamont. Not quite what topic specifies since there's no ambiguity over who he's supposed to be. Plus, not like the Rocketeer didn't cross over with every other pulp character since then.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite of these substitutes is the Imperial Guard as a stand-in for the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I figure Marvel has more Superman variants running around than DC by now.

Also a fan of Alan Moore's Supreme run. Great riff on Silver Age Superman.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
There's a couple of Jean Grey clones running around in the Marvel Universe. There's Hope, Cavewoman, Iron Fist Phoenix and others I'm probably forgetting

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't doubt that tokusatsu had a major hand in Mega Man. Flashman was even based on the Sentai from 1986-87 (not the current Sentai during the development of 2, but only two years old,) but there's a difference between influence and rip off is all I'm saying.

It's difficult to draw the line between inspiration and plagiarism for the bulk of creative works (though it can be ovbvious when something is blatantly copied 1:1), especially in this age where the Internet is packed with all possible sources of information at our fingertips. Too often I've seen creatives claim "a source can be considered plagiarism, but for many, an inspiration", which is a terrifying thought process to fall into.

Generally speaking, it becomes a lot harder when someone creates something and consider it to be their own thought, which would certainly be mentioned somewhere by another individual if shared. Copying in of itself is a primal process, as we imitate everything we learn and see.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
I read Powers/House of X and remember this development with Moira. I didn't really keep up with X comics for too long after that though.

How have things been going since then? Worth catching up on?

Apart from one notable exception, which was cancelled after 6 issues, quality of the Dawn of X books has been high. Moira is still in hiding but a recent development suggests she's going to come to the fore again.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Man how's a genetic variation in your body give you the power to send the entire universe hurtling back 40 years, over 10 times?

Storm having weather control as precise and powerful as the actual god of thunder is weird enough. There's some weird ass power creep in Mutants.
Storm has consistently been shown as being weaker than Thor, though.

And she's an actual god now, so it works out either way.

0fLTUXV.jpg

Might be a question of how much data the brain can store. 11 lifetimes is several hundred years of memories.
One of those lives had Moira being over 1000 years old, so it's well beyond several hundred years. Plus comic book brains are all linked into the Astral Plane anyway and are tethered to the astral self and soul, so there's a mix of organic data storage and metaphysical psychic shit. It's how characters shown to live into the end of existence usually can remember all the way back to the "present."

May 9, 2019
I like Andromeda more than Kara so I'm fine with that.

Rob Liefield did a podcast on how Dan Didio had a stick up his butt for Cheshire so Liefield made this character. He said Didio was screaming like a maniac because the original script used Cheshire and he didn't want that.

latest

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

4z7mra.jpg

My girlfriend/tech support was also wheelchair bound, I have a secret cave, both my parents were killed, and I'm generally paranoid, obsessed, a self-professed loner yet keep expanding my Arrow-Family, and generally an unpleasant person to be around.

Yep. When they ripped off the whole Ra's Al Ghul story it made my eyes roll and groan. The whole not Batman thing was one the worst part of Arrow.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Marvel won't let Captain American expys throw their shield...

But, what if the shield has a mind of its own and is magnetically attracted to villains, flying out of the hero's hands without him actually throwing it? Do you think that could skirt by IP rights?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

4z7mra.jpg

It basically happened with Smallville too

The Smallville creators weren't allowed to put Batman in the show so they basically made Green Arrow the Smallville version of him lol

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never knew that Jessica Jones was created because Jessica Drew was off limits. That's cool to know.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Never knew that Jessica Jones was created because Jessica Drew was off limits. That's cool to know.

I thought Bendis said that he originally envisioned Drew in it (because he liked her hair or something like that) but as he wrote it she took on a life of her own so he changed it. I don't think it was denied him (it's not like Drew was doing much at that time)

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
The Smallville creators weren't allowed to put Batman in the show so they basically made Green Arrow the Smallville version of him lol
Yep lol.

Speaking of Smallville, they introduced a character in season 3 named Adam Knight. He's dark, brooding, and mysterious with a past he doesn't want to talk about. He grew up with money and knows martial arts, computer hacking skills, and piano. And he's not from Smallville.

Sounds like Bruce Wayne, right? Even the name Adam Knight is a reference to Batman mythos. Wrong.

Whoever this character was supposed to be; they changed him at the last minute, then killed him off when his storyline ran into the ground.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There was a cowboy Hawkman too?
Eww Weiss you didn't know about Nighthawk and Cinnamon? DC reconned two of their old western comics characters into being former lives of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Damn how you catch an L being forgotten in limbo?
tumblr_p7w7r9gWBH1sqep2mo1_1280.jpg

d39b80c36fdc0e6ce9a1b9bc2b8ff8ce.jpg

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Aww but I want to talk about the one that merges with a monster that looks like him, an alternate version of him and Hawkgirl to become Hawkgod.

Hawkgod.jpg
At least their son had some sense. Have a metal that can control the 4 fundamental forces of the universe? Instead of making stupid wings, he made power armor
latest

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Infinity inc is never far from my thoughts
That remind me that before the New 52 reboot Lex Luthor owned the trademark of Infinity Inc.

Also because this is how much of a fucking nerd I was/am. I used to rp on a superhero MUSH (well several but only this one is important)

I played Namor on a MUSH server that was basically all cape comics in a merged universe. Lex Luthor came to Namor and recruited him to be the leader of his version of Infinity Inc.

Through shenanigans by Lex it happened and we had a Namor vs Superman fight eventually that was really cool.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That remind me that before the New 52 reboot Lex Luthor owned the trademark of Infinity Inc.

Also because this is how much of a fucking nerd I was/am. I used to rp on a superhero MUSH (well several but only this one is important)

I played Namor on a MUSH server that was basically all cape comics in a merged universe. Lex Luthor came to Namor and recruited him to be the leader of his version of Infinity Inc.

Through shenanigans by Lex it happened and we had a Namor vs Superman fight eventually that was really cool.
Ah, those were the days. Did mine on forums, though.

Managed to get Mr Majestic as a member of SHIELD.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Ah, those were the days. Did mine on forums, though.

Managed to get Mr Majestic as a member of SHIELD.
Remember the original Gotham High idea?
GothamHighclassphoto_final.jpg

I was on a forum RPG for thst concept that added "Marvel Tech" to the idea.

It was so much fun playing teenage punk John Constantine in that concept.

I played on various superhero MUSH over the years since 1995. But my fondest memories was that forum playing with that ridiculous concept.

I loved playing the movie version of the Mask against Pinky and the Brain, making the Marvel Character Holocaust into an actual threat, playing Death's Head multiple times across many servers starting with the line "Tricked! By that feeble Time Lord and dropped here! "

But I still fondly think of that Gotham High forum RPG.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
who-protector1.jpg

Don't forget The Protector, aka Sir-Robin-Not-Appearing-in-this-Comic.

Honestly I think Robin was currently under a fruit-pie advertisement contract or something wacky like that.
They later had Protector appear in Heroes in Crisis (because they needed easily disposable D-listers) and revealed he was actually abusing drugs during the events of this comic because someone apparently thought that was a clever bit of dramatic irony or some shit.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I've always wondered the relationship between the Dresden Files and Constantine. Probably just parallel thinking?

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Are there any examples where writer could have used a particular character but instead opted for a copy-cat due to not wanting to deal with the existing characters baggage?

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Joe Kelly couldnt use Deadpool when he had fun in the Superman/Batman annual. So he created this guy who never gets a chance to say his name:

Superman-Batman-Annual-1.png

And Gail Simone originally wanted to use bigger name villains for Secret Six until she found out they were all being used elsewhere and couldnt. So she did the opposite and used the Z-list villains.