• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure ROM was a recent example, but I just can't put my finger on the exact panel. Like, he was referred to the greatest Space Knight but the character name was never mentioned? Something like that.

I like ROM so it stuck out to me.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know Miyamoto definitely wanted to use Popeye but for the Megaman, I've heard it range from a clear inspiration to at one point Capcom hoping to score the license and failing.

A lot of classic Japanese games feel like they're "we couldn't get the license but what the fuck" like half of every classic Fighting game character.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah way more interesting, i still don't get why people feel the need to give Hawkman a go every few years. It never works out and no one cares
No one likes Hawkman but I don't understand. What's not to like:
qbpj1n7.jpeg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah the Monarch Id leaked and they replaced him with hawk. They even invented a character (Waverider) to make it work

Is that true? Waverider was there from the start, basically the gateway through which you view all these alternate realities. My impression was they changed the identity after most of those annuals were done, like way late.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure ROM was a recent example, but I just can't put my finger on the exact panel. Like, he was referred to the greatest Space Knight but the character name was never mentioned? Something like that.

Marvel can use Rom, they just can't show him in armor, say his name or refer to him as a Spaceknight

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

They can't use ROM because of the toy license but they still have Space Knights and usually refer to him indirectly like that. They even had a Space Knights comic book with an "I'm not ROM" silver armored character leading them. A similar thing is true of some of the Micronauts.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Is that true? Waverider was there from the start, basically the gateway through which you view all these alternate realities. My impression was they changed the identity after most of those annuals were done, like way late.
I might have that backwards, they recon his abilities to see possible futures into changing the subject so that future won't happen. So when he touched Captain Atom and saw him as Monarch it didn't happen and bam Hawk

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
And now these are more popular and relevant than these others ever were.

It worked out for everyone but Alan Moore, though.

DC got basically an elseworlds that is (or was) completely detached from the DC Universe, which made it a great standalone volume that has been continually published ever since.

They also got to use some of those Charlton characters in their comic universe, with Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and the Question having prominent roles. And heck, John Cena is going to be Peacemaker.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The Charlton characters being redone by Moore sparked another one in my mind:
When DC successfully got Fawcett comics to discontinue their Captain Marvel/Shazam comic, the UK publisher who was reprinting those titles wanted a replacement. They created Marvelman and made it look like Captain Marvel was just continuing in a new form.

Of course, Alan Moore eventually rebooted the character decades after he was first published, doing things with the character that the now DC owned Shazam would never have been able to do. To avoid lawsuits from Marvel, they renamed him Miracleman for US publication.

This is similar to Moore doing basically his dream Superman stories with Rob Liefeld's ripoff, Supreme.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Charlton characters being redone by Moore sparked another one in my mind:
When DC successfully got Fawcett comics to discontinue their Captain Marvel/Shazam comic, the UK publisher who was reprinting those titles wanted a replacement. They created Marvelman and made it look like Captain Marvel was just continuing in a new form.

Of course, Alan Moore eventually rebooted the character decades after he was first published, doing things with the character that the now DC owned Shazam would never have been able to do. To avoid lawsuits from Marvel, they renamed him Miracleman for US publication.

This is similar to Moore doing basically his dream Superman stories with Rob Liefeld's ripoff, Supreme.

God I want to read Supreme.

Why won't it get reprinted?

Oct 26, 2017
I know Miyamoto definitely wanted to use Popeye but for the Megaman, I've heard it range from a clear inspiration to at one point Capcom hoping to score the license and failing.

A lot of classic Japanese games feel like they're "we couldn't get the license but what the fuck" like half of every classic Fighting game character.

In the 80's nobody gave a damn about IP. Like every other European home computer game was a ridiculous ripoff of an arcade game or a Bond/Indiana/Trek/SW game, and Capcom did their best to rip off every manga ever created.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
mz1.jpg
mz2.jpg

In Marvel Zombies it seems they initially wanted it to be Superman who started the zombie plague, but they changed the coloring to make it The Sentry instead to avoid all the problems that would cause.
If you change the coloring it really looks like Superman:

mz3.jpg
mz4.jpg

Huh.

This makes sense, in retrospect. The idea of a zombie Superman that started the whole Marvel Zombies universe would've been deliciously morbid.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Thankfully Alan Moore was able to create such beloved characters as Roschard instead.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh crap. I just remembered "Holy Terror" exists.
Holy_Terror_cover.png

Frank Miller really wanted Batman to fight the Taliban.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I only know that Doom Patrol couldn't use John Constantine so that made that other British spellcaster guy, Willoughby Kipling

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if you mean Frank Miller couldn't get the rights to Batman or if he couldn't get the rights to the Taliban.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Sorry everybody, this is now a Jack Staff thread.

jackstaff_4.jpg

It was originally a pitch for a Union Jack story at Marvel. I'm so glad it ended up being its own thing because Grist has been far more creative than he could have been with the Marvel characters. No spoilers, but his take on Captain America would never have worked in the Marvel universe, and is incredible.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Not comics to comics but arguably Mario and Megaman were basically "we don't have the rights to Popeye/Astro Boy!"

Though I've heard varying stories on how much of that is true, especially with Megaman.
I can totally see Donkey Kong being conceptualized as a Popeye game at some point. The girl's sprite even looks like Olive Oyl.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Gotham was not allowed to use the Joker name or have a villain with green hair, so they had not one but two Not-Jokers who were twin brothers, the second one being more explicitly Batman's Joker without using the name.

Gif1KYj4_400x400.jpg

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Gotham was not allowed to use the Joker name or have a villain with green hair, so they had not one but two Not-Jokers who were twin brothers, the second one being more explicitly Batman's Joker without using the name.

Gif1KYj4_400x400.jpg
Jerome was a better joker then we had in decades

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
And now these are more popular and relevant than these others ever were.
Maybe for Nightshade and Thunderbolt and Captain Atom this is true. The Question, Blue Beetle are way bigger than their counterparts.
Maybe Blue Beetle (and definitely not Ted Kord) but Question being bigger than Rorschach? Forget it.

Because of the nature of their respective stories I think it's more accurate to say that Watchmen the comic is bigger than any Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, or Question comic ever will be.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Thread, thy name is Rob Liefeld.

661b2d5793cb85cb626bf9ec1c1fdc40.jpg
Wtf? My response to this was to check if there's an Atop the Fourth Wall episode about this comic. I left disappointed.

Not comics to comics but arguably Mario and Megaman were basically "we don't have the rights to Popeye/Astro Boy!"

Though I've heard varying stories on how much of that is true, especially with Megaman.
I don't think Mega Man is that exact. Commander Data has elements of Astro Boy, too but he's not a rip off.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Argh, I was beaten in the OP. I believe the Charlton characters are the most famous example of this, so I shouldn't be exactly surprised. Also, a great metatextual layer with Kirby being a huge Ayn Rand shithead fan.

Sesha

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah something like that. Her X-gene makes her invisible to detection and every time she dies she resets the timeline back to her birth with all her accumulated memories and has to survive at least until her X-gene activates again. She can do this a maximum of eleven times and we are now in the 10th timeline.

All I'm getting from this is that Hickman is into JoJo.

Gif1KYj4_400x400.jpg

And they were both lame. But then again, so was Gotham.

Jeremiah was almost decent until he started hanging out with Ra's al Ghul and drank the Batman mythos coolaid, before he turned into the bad guy from The Mask at the end.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Christopher Priest, acclaimed Black Panther writer was writing Deathstroke for DC and clearly couldn't use Black Panther, so....

5723627-capture.jpg

We get Red Lion instead!

Also, the bootleg Black Manta from JLU, Devil Ray.

latest

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Smallville creators weren't allowed to put Batman in the show so they basically made Green Arrow the Smallville version of him lol

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I haven't read any comics written by Hickman yet, but do all his characters speak like smartasses like Destiny is doing? Because her tone and words clash a lot with Claremont's characterization of her.

Shit, yeah. Ditko, not Kirby.
Nah. You do need some context for the scene for her tone to make more sense. In this life, Moria created a mutant cure and it was about to be distributed. Mystique's Brotherhood of Mutants had just raided her lab and killed all the scientists and research.

This is when Destiny realizes what Moria is and needs to make very clear what the will happen if Moria continues her work in another life.

When she appears later she is much more in line with Claremont's voice for her.