• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
The first time I actually remember it happening was in God of War 2. I lived in a house with 3 of my friends when that came out, and we all stood up and took notice when the part around 1 minute kicked in. Transistor knows this, he was one of them lol

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know that it was the first time but it's the only thing that springs to mind at the moment

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Without a doubt, this piece gives me full body chills every single goddamn time.

The orchestration is so... perfect. It sounds exactly like how peering through the distant clouds of time into a golden, idealized past would.

You've got:

- orchestral piano / strings
- mixolydian mode
- tenor sax
- shuffly jazz drums

The mode gives a uniquely eerie edge to an otherwise gorgeous composition.

And don't get me fucking started on that tenor sax. Holy FUCK.

I have over 150 hours in Torna alone - as in, not including the base game - and this piece is partially to blame. It's such a wonderful game to pick up and 100% over the span of a week or so. I've done it several times.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I actually remember it happening was in God of War 2. I lived in a house with 3 of my friends when that came out, and we all stood up and took notice when the part around 1 minute kicked in. Transistor knows this, he was one of them lol

Man, I almost forgot how good GoW2's soundtrack was. Still my favorite game in the series, with GoW 2018 right behind it.

TheNormalMan

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Entering the Zeal map in Chrono Trigger for the first time (I left the TV on idling on that map screen for like an hour).
Was going to say this. I was completely dumbstruck by the moment. Even crazier is you hear the music as soon as you are in the teleportation room and you immediately think "WTF is going on?" Because the music is so unique to what you heard up to that point. Which is saying a lot because the CT soundtrack is god tier even without this song.

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Grassland Groves from DKC Tropical Freeze. Awesome music, gameplay, and the coordination between them in each stage.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020

FFX has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, but for some reason this song stands out to me so much. Makes me feel all types of emotions every time I listen to it or when I reach the farplane in the game.

Hits especially hard when I recall Auron saying, 'I wanted to change the world, too. But I changed nothing, that is my story'.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
although it's licensed music Death Stranding. Pretty much any time the music started I would just stop and take in the scenery

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I was jamming out to this shit for like 15 minutes the first time I heard it

"The mad man... Toby Fox has done it again!" I remember saying.

There's a lot in ffxiv but this was the first for me

Yeah this was the first song in FFXIV that really caught my attention. Even now that I'm caught up I still sit and listen to this theme sometimes.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Mine is a pretty recent one but my God the Ghost of Tsushima OST is GODTIER. This is just one of many.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

You actually walk through a small forest in complete silence before the track kicks in, fantastic.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Xenoblade from GameStop when it released in NA and I'd had the game hyped up to impossible and unreachable levels, but had abstained from spoiling myself on music and characters and content, and when I load up the game and start digging through the options to make this experience the best it can be, this song is playing:

I thought this was the options screen music. My jaw dropped through the floor as the song just continued building and building. This is the only time I stopped for a song, to my knowledge.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I picked up Xenoblade from GameStop when it released in NA and I'd had the game hyped up to impossible and unreachable levels, but had abstained from spoiling myself on music and characters and content, and when I load up the game and start digging through the options to make this experience the best it can be, this song is playing:

I thought this was the options screen music. My jaw dropped through the floor as the song just continued building and building. This is the only time I stopped for a song, to my knowledge.

Excellent pick. Should've thought of it since I did the same thing. It absolutely helped that the title screen shifts from day/night in a beautiful way.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2.jpg

When that Amusement Park track started playing.

Goddamn, this fucked me up. I couldn't believe what I was hearing again.

To be honest, there was multiple instances where Tropical Freeze's OST made me pause and enjoy it's music.

These two both had the reaction for me described in the OP. The Amusement Park theme, coupled with the unexpected scenary change, really caught me off guard. Tropical Freeze's Stickerbush Symphony hit my nostalgia pretty hard, and I always take time to listen to it before starting the rocket barrel segment.

I'll add my own Xenoblade 2 tracks, both Tantal at night, and Yggdrasil, the World Tree made me take my time and delay battles just to take in the music.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Honestly, the menu music for Final Fantasy XIII. First time I heard it as I was about to start the game I just sat there and let it play.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This is a very good one. And it stopped me in my tracks twice more, both times the singer changed.
Even the music has great and logical progression with the game system/world!

Yea all the versions are great. The duet was a nice reward for finishing their story line.

Oct 27, 2017
It's Hades

You're getting the fuck outta there, dodging bombs, killing shades, shit should I take a pom or a boon?

What's this? A special room in a hot land, I sure could use the respite....

What is that heavenly voice?

Yeah, the first time I entered the area with her and just heard her singing I did just stop to hear the song

Another good one is when you exit Victory Road in D/P and finally reach the Pokemon League. It's this really somber, but hopeful piano piece that just takes you by surprise

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019

Kind of cliche to post Nier music in a thread like this, but the opening phase of the final dungeon music really drives home the idea that there will be no happy ending here.

This, combined with the the ghostlike voices of the birds guarding the door, gives me chills.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Corridors of Time was already mentioned, so I'll throw in these, because when the music in Ys shines, it really shines.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing Pyra/Mythra's addition to Smash Ultimate in the Direct the other day got me thinking about Xenoblade 2 and my partial playthrough of it years ago. While it never measured up to the original Xenoblade for me due to its goofy, fanservice-laden characters and plot, I did end up really enjoying it as a large-scale adventure with some truly memorable aesthetic moments. While the whole soundtrack is excellent (as good or maybe better than XB1), there's one track that I remember completely catching me by surprise.

When I stepped foot into the area for the first time and heard this track, I actually just put the controller down for a bit to listen to it:

Before XB2's release, its legendary composer Yasunori Mitsuda commented on Twitter that some particular track made him tear up as it was being recorded. We now know that it was likely this track (or its other variation) that elicited that emotional response from him. I just never expected to come across a swelling, Gregorian choral performance tinged with religiosity in a game like this, and even without the element of surprise the track is powerful enough to be arresting on its own.

DOIlOTe.png

The music adds an appopriate aura of calm reverence and grandiosity that befits the Indoline Praetorium area of the game.

There have been other times when a high-quality music track in a game had me in awe during gameplay, but this is the only one I can think of that made me just completely stop playing and listen for a while.

XC2 and Torna expansion have a whole set of "Right in the fucking feels" songs that just made me sit in awe when they started.

For XC2, this one sorta counts:

In the game when you first get it there's no vocal track, but it's a pretty impactful song. I think it comes up again somewhere else or two.

Torna has its own ending song that as the implications of the ending and XC2's back story begin to dawn on you builds until it hits like a sledgehammer:

For XCX, this song doesn't have the emotional impact, but I sure as hell paused and listened through it the first time I came across it (and am now listening to it again on loop). It's also a song that you'll hear going into the final zone, a zone that deserved much more story and worldbuilding to explain what you had come across:

XCX has an *amazing* soundtrack that's brought down by editing/mixing (vocalized tracks playing over voice conversations) and the weird song placement (eg the Squad Selection song you get 10 seconds of a 3 minute real song, the catchy flight song that starts over every time you take off and sorta doesn't fit, the New LA theme which kinda drives you insane you hear it so much)

The first time I stepped foot into The Twinning - with friends who had beat it already - & they told me to crank my music volume up.

I love getting Twinning on roulette. One of the few duties I turn off whatever I have going on outside the game just to hear the music.

It's Hades

You're getting the fuck outta there, dodging bombs, killing shades, shit should I take a pom or a boon?

What's this? A special room in a hot land, I sure could use the respite....

What is that heavenly voice?

Pretty much any Ashley Berret vocals in a Darren Korb song demands a pause.

While the game is over at that point, it's one of the rare songs I just listen to the credits on and then relisten:

In the context of the game, it's a pretty emotional song to hear at the point you do.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Another start up stopper is the main menu of (I'm dating myself here) Road Rash 3.

I was not expecting such a banger. The ost has been stuck in my head for....25 years now.

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
MĂ©xico
The moment you trigger this song you are supposed to move fast...

... But you probably won't have enough time to do what you are supposed to do, so I just stood there listening to this waiting for the inevitable to happen. And it brought tears to my eyes.

One of the strongest emotional responses I've had in any medium.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Pretty much any Ashley Berret vocals in a Darren Korb song demands a pause.

While the game is over at that point, it's one of the rare songs I just listen to the credits on and then relisten:

In the context of the game, it's a pretty emotional song to hear at the point you do.

This too, but for me it would be the very first solo occurrence of Build that Wall. Back in 2011 this just wasn't a thing that happened. Massive emotional impact.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty recent example
I don't know know why exactly. It just felt so nostalgic and lovely, even if it's one of the few songs that aren't in the original. I think it was around there I realized how much I really loved remake.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Same. This is in my Top 5 musical moments in gaming history for sure. I feel so bad for people who fell off a cliff or did something else to cut the track short just after entering Mexico. You only get one shot at experiencing that moment as intended.

Song choice is great in RDR 2 as well but it just doesn't hit as hard as the first time.

Coolsambob

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
The music for Hydropolis (I think that's the name) in Ni No Kuni 2 was great, think I stopped first time to have it as background music

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017
For me it's the autumn music from Rune Factory Frontier that makes me stop whatever I am doing and just listen. It is just so relaxing.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I gotta add another post for XC2 because, maybe it's just me, but I seldom see this track talked about. When Mor Ardain comes up, everyone is always ready to roam the wastes. Me? I'm joining the Empire!

Alba Cavanich

The morning sun rises and your ears hear a nice JRPG castle town track. Elegant, sort of regal. Then 0:42 happens and I was like, HOLD THE FUCK UP... something's up; something big is coming! Literally glued to the screen, what follows next I can only describe as sheer sensory overload, lol. Deep, heavy strings, drums, horns, electric guitar. Dear god, my life is yours Mor Ardainian Empire! I love this song so much.