• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Earthsea was what I thought of.

RE: Star Wars, to me it turns into a Lore vs Actual Storytelling situation. There is only one major thing the prequels do better than the sequels: lore/worldbuilding. And it was other material that mined that lore into legitimately good stories. The sequels, at least two of them, actually had good stories and much better storytelling, especially TLJ. By themselves? The prequels suck, and stop trying to make them better than they are.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
51HbiAIu38L._AC_.jpg
512CL2VISIL._AC_.jpg

You all know its true...

Dec 21, 2017
TLJ biggest crime maybe it didn't live up to people's fan fiction.

No, it was simply a failed second entry in a trilogy, which is what it's first and primary job was. It absolutely failed at that. Your statement is only true if by people's fan fiction you meant "Expected a decent TFA Followup" and got something that makes Batman V Superman look like a masterpiece/classic by comparison.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think the sequel trilogy and The Last Jedi would have been fine if the third movie did something with where the second one took things rather than executing a giant UNDO command.

I mean, the prequel may have horribly written dialog and wooden, unbelievable character motivations, but at least they tell a consistent and coherent story with a beginning, a middle, and an end that spans the three movies.

Sequel trilogy plays out like a choose-your-own-adventure where you keep a finger in the page on a choice and flip back when you don't like what happens.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
With the exception of "Men In Tights" I'm going to say that basically every major Robin Hood movie is worse than the last.

Ooh, good pick. I think I'd have to agree.

About Star Wars: I don't think those trilogies count as "media adaptations". So they're not even relevant to the topic.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Negima!

First anime was an alright adaptation of the first few volumes of the manga. But it was low budget and cut a lot of stuff (and entire characters) out. Also had an anime original ending™️.

2nd anime (Negima?!) had better animation but pretty much had its own goofy story that had very little to do with the previous anime or the manga.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reserve this spot for Joss Whedon's Justice League when Zack Snyder's Justice League comes out.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
Why on earth is Star Wars being brought up in a thread about adaptations? Rian Johnson is living rent-free in people's heads, I swear.
51HbiAIu38L._AC_.jpg
512CL2VISIL._AC_.jpg

You all know its true...
No lies detected. Campy and stupid is infinitely preferable to cynical and depressing. Dick Cheney as Batman and and a Randroid as Superman? Bleh.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
The ending of Pokemon XY soured me on the entire arc. I was there with a giant win it for the land sign, but forgot Ash is trash. XYX you obviously don't know the abcs of pokemon battling, you're trash. Go home, you'll always be a best 16 to me.

It made Best Wishes Ash less terrible. At least he lost to a stacked team.

And SunMoon replaced him with a better Ash, thank god

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The recent adaptations of Stephen King's It and The Stand qualify, I think.

The Stand seems like such a kino layup that I'm amazed they managed to make it so boring.