• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Like Crichton being resistant to the light mindcontrol by the villian because of humans' poor eyesight

Asgardians in Stargate seeking humans because they were dumber and more agressive then themselves

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In Animorphs, humans were the perfect hosts for the Yeerks because they weren't especially capable (thus reducing the threat of a revolt) but had hands and reproduced quickly and were fairly docile.

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't just the poor eyesight.

It was the fact that humans were less evolved than other species. The eyesight was only part of it

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
In Mass Effect 2, Mordin states human's are special because of our genetic diversity. But, that's not true at all.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I think there was a Red Letter Media review they did where the heroine was able to fight off the devil because she was a rape survivor?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Hmm, this is an interesting topic. I'd consider Tolkien's explanation for humans (or MEN) to be special pretty good.

Trying to think of bad examples...

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
kIRMXJX.png

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol the stargate shit was SO dumb. "we need dumb idiots to lead the assault because we are too smart"

I dunno if Futurama copied it or it came before but there was an Episode where Fry was too dumb to be mind controlled by the invading brain army.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol the stargate shit was SO dumb. "we need dumb idiots to lead the assault because we are too smart"

I dunno if Futurama copied it or it came before but there was an Episode where Fry was too dumb to be mind controlled by the invading brain army.

it is not that he was dumb, but since he was his own grandfather, his brain worked different

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
A tiny amount of humans in Warhammer 40,000 have psychic abilities which manifest in all sorts of ways with the more powerful ones being drafted into the military or even the Inquisition, although some are too dangerous to be kept alive.

The reason they have these powers is because they are able to knowingly or accidentally tap into the power of The Warp.

Problem is, The Warp is the realm of the Chaos gods, and every time they use these Psyker abilities they risk ripping a hole in reality and unleashing daemons on those around them and becoming a demonic entity themselves.

Very special subset of people, tapping into a very dangerous power. Many humans straight up are not aware that Chaos even exists in any form.

Oct 25, 2017

I made a thread asking which movie did more damage to their respective monster, Alien Covenant or The Predator. I am still shocked people on ERA consider Covenant did more damage than a movie literally having the concept of "weaponizing autism" taken absolutely seriously.

The autistic kid in the movie is able to use predator technology because he is autistic and the movie treats autism like a super power and the line "some people consider autism to be the next step of human evolution" is uttered by a character, and the Predator thinks the autistic child is a true warrior so he wants to take him back to the predator homeworld so he can extract his spine, inject the spinal fluid into him and gain autism.

Because this movie actually treats autism like a super power.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread asking which movie did more damage to their respective monster, Alien Covenant or The Predator. I am still shocked people on ERA consider Covenant did more damage than a movie literally having the concept of "weaponizing autism" taken absolutely seriously.

The autistic kid in the movie is able to use predator technology because he is autistic and the movie treats autism like a super power and the line "some people consider autism to be the next step of human evolution" is uttered by a character, and the Predator thinks the autistic child is a true warrior so he wants to take him back to the predator homeworld so he can extract his spine, inject the spinal fluid into him and gain autism.

To be fair more people saw Covenant

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Nah, that was just the aliens dying to the common flu because they lacked immunity. Humans weren't exactly special.

I actually kind of like the sci-fi idea that viruses are essentially a unique "lifeform" to the planet Earth. Aliens are all "WTF is wrong with your planet? It's literally filled with microscopic creatures that INVADE cells and for them to reproduce more viruses? What hell hole is this?"

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

I think it might be because Covenant felt like a technically competent movie with story decisions that ruined the mystique of the monster while The Predator felt like a slapped-together fever dream of a movie where Shane Black had to incorporate every insane studio note that came his way.

The Predator was so bad that it was hard to take seriously, at least for me.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Mass Effect's world building and lore is a joke a lot of the time. The Asari are basically an idea any horny teenager with a penchant for scifi would come up with.

Really says something about video game writing that Mass Effect trilogy was seen as some kind of bastion of world building. I love Mass Effect, but a lot of it is B-movie Sci-fi (and that's fantastic by the way, but a lot of times it's also not intentional).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being blunt this trope is incredibly prevalent in scifi and fantasy fiction and its almost always garbage. There are examples of it being done well but its one of those where the vast majority of examples just kind of treat humanity like a species wide Mary Sue. Oh that ultimate evil that no one has been able to defeat for a thousand years? Humanity got this because they're "special".

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Zone - "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"

From Wikipedia: "The scene cuts to a nearby hilltop, where it is revealed the shadow that flew overhead is, indeed, an alien spaceship. Its crew are watching the riot on Maple Street while using a device to manipulate the neighborhood's power. They comment on how simply fiddling with consistency leads people to descend into paranoia and panic, and that this is a pattern that can be exploited. They also discuss their intention to use this strategy to conquer Earth, one neighborhood at a time."

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect's world building and lore is a joke a lot of the time. The Asari are basically an idea any horny teenager with a penchant for scifi would come up with.

Really says something about video game writing that Mass Effect trilogy was seen as some kind of bastion of world building. I love Mass Effect, but a lot of it is B-movie Sci-fi (and that's fantastic by the way, but a lot of times it's also not intentional).

See, I don't mind throwing science out the window to have fun. Real life is pretty boring. Yes, I want to hear sound in space and have the equivalent of space magic powers. But, certain particular woefully scientifically inaccurate lore bits are just too much for me and are often hilarious. The human special thing was one of those cases. Alright I get that you want humans to be special somehow, but why explain it in a way that is so clearly scientifically wrong?

The answer is that they clearly didn't research it. 😄

A lot of the scientific inaccuracies in ME are intentional so they can have fun or have sexy blue aliens. But, then there are times when they are actually trying to be "scientific" but then fail because they didn't put in the work.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Zone - "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"

From Wikipedia: "The scene cuts to a nearby hilltop, where it is revealed the shadow that flew overhead is, indeed, an alien spaceship. Its crew are watching the riot on Maple Street while using a device to manipulate the neighborhood's power. They comment on how simply fiddling with consistency leads people to descend into paranoia and panic, and that this is a pattern that can be exploited. They also discuss their intention to use this strategy to conquer Earth, one neighborhood at a time."

Doesn't seem very efficient.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm being blunt this trope is incredibly prevalent in scifi and fantasy fiction and its almost always garbage. There are examples of it being done well but its one of those where the vast majority of examples just kind of treat humanity like a species wide Mary Sue. Oh that ultimate evil that no one has been able to defeat for a thousand years? Humanity got this because they're "special".

To me, "human special" is basically just code language for "American Exceptionalism."

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, I don't mind throwing science out the window to have fun. Real life is pretty boring. Yes, I want to hear sound in space and have the equivalent of space magic powers. But, certain particular woefully scientifically inaccurate lore bits are just too much for me and are often hilarious. The human special thing was one of those cases. Alright I get that you want humans to be special somehow, but why explain it in a way that is so clearly scientifically wrong?

The answer is that they clearly didn't research it. 😄

A lot of the scientific inaccuracies in ME are intentional so they can have fun or have sexy blue aliens. But, then there are times when they are actually trying to be "scientific" but then fail because they didn't put in the work.

I'd say the sexy blue aliens are just as bad as humans are special. The entire idea behind the Asari is incredibly laughable from a science angle on several fronts from being able to breed with creatures that should have entirely different DNA (among other things) to the fact they just so happen to look like really shapely hot humans. This stuff happens all the time in ME.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
In the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, humanity's conscious thought and tendency toward imaginative expression offend the Auditors of Reality - beings that ensure things like gravity and entropy function as intended.

As a result, the Auditors are constantly trying to manipulate humanity into destroying itself.

Luckily, we're defended by entities like the personification or Death and his daughter, Susan.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the sexy blue aliens are just as bad as humans are special. The entire idea behind the Asari is incredibly laughable from a science angle on several fronts from being able to breed with creatures that should have entirely different DNA (among other things) to the fact they just so happen to look like really shapely hot humans. This stuff happens all the time in ME.

Again, that's not a problem for me, other than the sexualization part. The Asari are a way to have inter-species breeding without going complete Star Trek where anybody and everybody can breed with any race. Sure, Human and Klingons can have children and Romulans and Klingons and Vulcans and Humans and Humans and Betazoids, etc. Asari basically incorporate the genetic structure of their mates into their onw to create offspring, but those offspring are always Asari.

I've always found it to be a neat little work around in comparison to the Star Trek or Star War approach where everyone can breed with anyone.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Wait what?

Hooo-oooo-ooooly shit.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, that's not a problem for me, other than the sexualization part. The Asari are a way to have inter-species breeding without going complete Star Trek where anybody and everybody can breed with any race. Sure, Human and Klingons can have children and Romulans and Klingons and Vulcans and Humans and Humans and Betazoids, etc. Asari basically incorporate the genetic structure of their mates into their onw to create offspring, but those offspring are always Asari.

I've always found it to be a neat little work around in comparison to the Star Trek or Star War approach where everyone can breed with anyone.

Star Trek at least attempts to explain how that's possible with the whole progenitor race. The Asari just feel built to feed into some rather obvious fetishes and everything is crafted around that.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A positive one I've always liked is "don't underestimate us earthlings!" from DBZ where the Earth Warriors have an advantage over Freeza's army because they can adjust their power level and it's not an end-all, be-all.

Then Toriyama kind of fucked that up with power levels then becoming literally what the Freeza army treated then like, and Saiyan and other bloodline traits became a big deal.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Raiden in MGS2, the Patriots chose him because he wouldn't face his past, as a child soldier, and wanted an example of a flawed human to kill Solidus or something..

I guess the Exile in Kotor 2, not really special compared to Darth Raven, the previous protagonist, as the master jedi cut her off from the force for joining Raven in the Mandolorian wars. However wounds in the force are a theme of the story and she's a survivor of the jedi purge.

EDIT sorry read the thread wrong, thought you meant specific characters *facepalm*

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
In Animorphs, humans were the perfect hosts for the Yeerks because they weren't especially capable (thus reducing the threat of a revolt) but had hands and reproduced quickly and were fairly docile.
Not quite. The entire reason Visser One chose a covert operation over open warfare is because humans may invent slowly, but they have an unheard of rate of innovation (she points to how long it took to get to flight, then to how quickly we got from flight to space). As well as the fact that we're absolute maniacs in terms of war making ("They run into the bullets!")

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
They did try to lampshade that in ME2. There's a bar where you can overhear a conversation between several characters of different species where they all claim that Asari look like attractive women of their own species. The implication being that Asari don't just incidentally look like human women, they're actually projecting some kind of glamour or psychic suggestion so that's how the player character is seeing them.

A cheap retcon, but still an in-universe acknowledgement of the issue.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of this series
bookcovers+for+My+Teacher+is+an+Alien+series.jpg

An alien federation is sent to judge earth, half of them want to blow up earth because they are scared we would take war out into space, the others want to lock our solar system off from the rest of the universe. Spoilers, a alien scitentist saw this coming and invented TV so slow down our rate of tech advance and give earth a chance in space court.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018

An alien federation is sent to judge earth, half of them want to blow up earth because they are scared we would take war out into space, the others want to lock our solar system off from the rest of the universe. Spoilers, a alien scitentist saw this coming and invented TV so slow down our rate of tech advance and give earth a chance in space court.
That last one gives me The Mask vibes...

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
That Star Trek thread is great.

I like how in Sphere, humans weren't evolved enough to control their inner thoughts and emotions, which is why they weren't ready for the Sphere. Vulcans would have loved it.

Holy fuck, I remember these. I read just about all of them. Wow that's a blast from the past.