• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
To a degree Chronicles also started leaning that way, since the plot of that game is "Lara's friends all reminisce"--notably Zip, the tech guy from the Legend series, was introduced in Chronicles in the obligatory post-Matrix spy catsuit level. And the game was leaning towards Action ever since the second game--there were six human enemies in the original, and an army of Italian cultists in the second. IIRC, the plan for Angel of Darkness (when it hadn't become the clusterfuck that killed Core) was that they would actually use the secret society plotline to tie the franchise together better, when it had been a "Monster of the Week" style series. I'm not saying that the influence of the films does not loom large on the franchise because it certainly does (in both art direction and the way the plots were structured, as well as Lara's very motivations), but plenty of things we may or may not like about the more recent games were already cropping up on the PS1.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was based on the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon:
Sonic_Mean_Bean_Machine.jpg

Grounder and Scratch are there, and it uses the cartoon design for Robotnik.

Came for this one. Almost all of the robots you fight are from the first episode of that show, and the game over screen is taken from Robotnik's speech from that episode 2. Kind of wild.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This is kind of an obscure one, but the Persona 4 anime introduced the character Aika Nakamura, a comic-relief character that delivers food anytime, anywhere. When Persona 4 Golden came out, she was retconned as the daughter of the owner of Aiya Restaurant, but is only mentioned by him and never actually appears in the game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MK has plenty of those i feel.

Quan-Chi's debut on the franchise was in the Defenders of the Realm cartoon

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tangentially related, but in reverse: the black goo in Prometheus / Alien: Covenant was extremely similar to Phazon from the Metroid Prime series - the Metroid series itself already having been a very obvious homage to the original Alien films.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Me, as a kid playing Pokemon Yellow and seeing Jessie & James:

rick.jpg

OP
OP

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Eve in Blaster Master Zero was originally from the "Worlds of Power" adaptation of the NES game.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is almost Street Fighter II Movie the thread. Tons of stuff from that ended up being canon in the games and hadn't really been mentioned before that (mostly last names), the Australia stage in SFA2, the Dramatic Battle fight of Ryu and Ken versus Dictator in SFA, etc.

NeoPancho

Nov 3, 2017
I think Turtles in Time had the wolf and the snapping turtle as bosses in TMNT 2
You are right!. Super Shredder, Tatsu, Tokka and Rhazar are on the same boat, but in my mind, that Super Shredder, Tokka and Rhazar were in a videogame was the most natural thing in the world while for whatever reason Tatsu was the odd one...

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
Fate anime from Deen, animated Archer dual swords enchanted form, Nasu love it so much, that it became a true ability that is now part of Archer special moves.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
The Crystal Coconut from the Donkey Kong cartoon became a collectable in DK64.