• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often should I shower?

• Once or more a day every day - even weekends!

Votes: 1,439 80.9%
  • Every couple of days since I have an enchanting musk

Votes: 287 16.1%
  • Once a week, I enjoy smelling like a foot

Votes: 11 0.6%
  • I don't allow clean water to touch me since my natural oils and scent allow me to ward off predators

Votes: 41 2.3%

• Total voters

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd be curious to see a blind study to see how many people can actually tell the difference between someone who showered in the last 48 hours and someone who showered in the last 24 hours.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
I'd be curious to see a blind study to see how many people can actually tell the difference between someone who showered in the last 48 hours and someone who showered in the last 24 hours.

Odds are not many. I grew up with a single bathroom that was shared by 6 kids. You just don't shower every day, especially when there's no hot water because your older brothers use the shower to jerkoff in private.

Took awhile for my mom to figure out why the high society was laminated.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Unless I don't have time, I try to shower once a day, especially during the week when I have to go to work. I'll stretch it on the weekend and skip a day if I'm just hanging out with friends, but if I'm sitting at home doing nothing then I'll go the entire weekend without a shower. I smell myself and know others would.

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
To everyone who skips days and thinks it's fine, the rest of us know who you are and are just being polite.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
So a bit of an anecdotal thing, but as someone who doesn't shower every day, in combination with being the type that after workouts I usually have a fully drenched shirt, I don't believe I smell bad even after said work outs. Certainly not fresh, but whatever. Now that being said, you may say that my opinions are invalid when it comes to my own smell, however I want to clarify that in my experience, bad smell, at least in my case, is heavily dependent on soap in the armpits. I've gone some time after a heavy workout without showering, and not smelling anything, but on the other hand, I've showered without using soap in the armpits automatically stunk within the hour of showering. Its a pretty bad piercing hair smell too.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Down here near the Gulf of Mexico, where the humidity reaches into the 90% on a daily basis in the summertime, you bet my ass is in the shower twice a day.

i

Wash

EVERYTHING

Nov 11, 2017
Putting 'once' and 'or more' into the same vote is unfair as 'once' is normal and 'or more' is heading into strange territory.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I lived in Houston almost my whole life. I remember when I went to Austin for college, all my friends from west texas thought Austin was the most humid place on earth, while I felt like Austin was dry as hell in comparison lol. Also, waking up and finding the grass NOT soaking wet as though it had rained all night every morning was a mind trip. I literally thought that happened everywhere.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Of course people don't give a shit what science says.

Everything in the OP is unsurprising, but I still shower every day just because my scalp is so greasy, if I don't wash my hair every day, it would be a disgusting oil mop. Heck sometimes even once a day isn't enough for my scalp. I can't wear my bangs on my forehead without them getting greasy within a matter of 2 hours.

But I already do the researchers advice: I use basic soap and only lather the odor/bacteria prone areas: feet, groin/butt, and pits. Then I scrub out my blackheads.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shower or bath everyday is pretty necessary especially if you live in hot/tropical places. It's not just for cleanliness, but also to provide comfort against heat.

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean clearly we aren't showering for health, but moreso smell and image.

I usually shower ever day, but here and there I'll skip a day depending on what I'm doing.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Putting 'once' and 'or more' into the same vote is unfair as 'once' is normal and 'or more' is heading into strange territory.

The thought of not showering twice a day seems insane to me, can't help it in tropical climates. Even if one of those showers is just a 3-5 min pop in and out just to let water hit you and not use any soap so the "more" is not strange for some of us, lol.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I lived in Houston almost my whole life. I remember when I went to Austin for college, all my friends from west texas thought Austin was the most humid place on earth, while I felt like Austin was dry as hell in comparison lol. Also, waking up and finding the grass NOT soaking wet as though it had rained all night every morning was a mind trip. I literally thought that happened everywhere.
You're absolutely right. Lived in Houston my entire life until college. Going to A&M was a cesspool too. But working and living overseas, and experiencing dry air for the first time, was amazing. Stepping into a air conditioned building, and my glasses not fogging up, was a treat. But now I'm back. If I'm not wet from the humidity I'm wet from the rain. I love H-town. But now I know why some people call it the Armpit of Texas. 😞

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Oh, another thing. Wear clean clothes!! I don't care if you shower daily, but don't wear the same clothes to the gym or mow your lawn without washing them. They still pick up your funk.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work from home mostly, so I admit I don't shower every day cause I live at home by myself.

When I do go out, I shower beforehand though. I'm not a creep.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
During winter, I shower once every odd day and twice because that's gym day.

Summer, every, single, day. Because I sweat a lot. And I tend to go to the gym frequently.

Fall and Spring depends. But no more than once every odd day.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, when people here in Austin are like, "It's so humid" I realize they've never lived somewhere that's where an actual swamp is. I grew up in the middle of South Carolina, and also lived 6 years in central Illinois. Austin "humidity" has nothing on either of those.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The heat index is regularly over 110F and I'm a white guy so I shower twice a day. Not gonna be a sweaty mess in this society that deducts points for any reason.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I shower twice a day, could probably do without shampooing twice, but my hair is fine otherwise so I'll keep doing it until it starts to be a problem. It was humid as hell today here in MN so there was no way I wasn't showering afterwards.

Jul 18, 2018
I've been showering at a time less than 5 minutes. Water isn't on continuously for 5 min either. Two things that benefitted me from doing so

1) body got accustomed to warm/cool showers. Guess that's good for body.

2) been using hand soap, most I make. Shampoo very rarely. Hitting only dirty
areas. This has drastically made my hair better and skin is flawless now. Shampoo less thing online I read actually worked for me

also lower water bill I guess good thing. In college I used to take like 15-30 min hot showers since wasnt paying for water. But man that probably wasn't good for my body.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're absolutely right. Lived in Houston my entire life until college. Going to A&M was a cesspool too. But working and living overseas, and experiencing dry air for the first time, was amazing. Stepping into a air conditioned building, and my glasses not fogging up, was a treat. But now I'm back. If I'm not wet from the humidity I'm wet from the rain. I love H-town. But now I know why some people call it the Armpit of Texas. 😞

I've been to Lubbuck a few times, that's pretty much the extent of dry air I've experienced. That said, the few times I went to Lubbuck, I'd dry out immediately. Cracked skin, chapped lips, etc.

EDIT: Also, the secret worst thing about living in a humid area is the mosquitos. I was unaware of how swarming houston was until I went outside of it. I just thought swarms of mosquitos was natural for night. Like, there are mosquitos almost everywhere, but in a swamp there are a thousand times more.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I live in the tropics so a shower to wake up in the morning is normal and a rinse in the shower before sleeping is important not feel sticky in bed.
Plus a shower after exercise of course.

This is all for the sake of vanity and social behaviour of course but who cares??

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I often get away with not showering for a couple of days without showering. More often than not though I shower multiple times a day.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Also, the secret worst thing about living in a humid area is the mosquitos. I was unaware of how swarming houston was until I went outside of it. I just thought swarms of mosquitos was natural for night. Like, there are mosquitos almost everywhere, but in a swamp there are a thousand times more.
I'm retiring to the hill country in a few years. Some where between Kerrville and Fredericksburg. I won't miss the gridlock traffic, the noise, the crime, the pollution, the humidity, or those damn mosquito spray trucks going up and down the streets going "zzzzzz" and smelling up the place with chemicals.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait wait, what is this. As someone who lives in a humid area this might be relevant to my interests.

Basically baby powder for adults. For the same reason you use baby powder - prevent rashes from exposure to moisture by keeping the skin dry. Except instead of keeping the groin dry from piss, it's keeping it dry from sweat. It also kills bacteria which causes odor and yeast infections. So, in short: Keeps you dry, and prevents bacteria. I shower first thing in the morning, and keep the talcum powder in the bathroom with me. When I step out of the shower, as I dry off, applying talcum powder to my entire body is pretty much part of my daily routine.

I buy them in bulk, I try to get the menthol-scented ones. Gives you a cold full body tingle when you apply it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I shower every morning before going to the office and after a run. Living in Scandinavia so it's generally not too hot.
I don't usually shower after doing some basic weightlifting (in my basement gym in the evening) as I don't perspire too much.
Installing a shower/bidet toilet soon which will cover the usual reasons for taking an 'in-between shower'.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm retiring to the hill country in a few years. Some where between Kerrville and Fredericksburg. I won't miss the gridlock traffic, the noise, the crime, the pollution, the humidity, or those damn mosquito spray trucks going up and down the streets going "zzzzzz" and smelling up the place with chemicals.

what keeps me in houston is what keeps everyone in houston: cheap living and lots of work. Houston is a working man's city. Otherwise, I'd be almost any other place if I could.

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017

Houston is nowhere near the armpit of Texas, far from it.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Basically baby powder for adults. For the same reason you use baby powder - prevent rashes from exposure to moisture by keeping the skin dry. Except instead of keeping the groin dry from piss, it's keeping it dry from sweat. It also kills bacteria which causes odor and yeast infections. So, in short: Keeps you dry, and prevents bacteria. I shower first thing in the morning, and keep the talcum powder in the bathroom with me. When I step out of the shower, as I dry off, applying talcum powder to my entire body is pretty much part of my daily routine.

I buy them in bulk, I try to get the menthol-scented ones. Gives you a cold full body tingle when you apply it.
Wait, talcum powder on the entire body and not just sweaty areas?

I've heard this stuff championed around for a while. I just need to find a place to buy it in Australia easily and in large quantities.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, talcum powder on the entire body and not just sweaty areas?

I've heard this stuff championed around for a while. I just need to find a place to buy it in Australia easily and in large quantities.

I might go overboard, but I sweat a lot, and with the humidity in Houston going without it will literally soak my clothes by the end of the day. So I put it on my chest and belly, and especially on the groin. I treat it like full body antiperspirant.

I dunno about australia, but it's sold everywhere in the US. Walmart, CVS, etc. It's in the same sections you'd buy shampoo or deodorant. The most known brand is probably either Johnson & Johnson or Old Spice, but I buy the generic brands.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Last edited:

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I might go overboard, but I sweat a lot, and with the humidity in Houston going without it will literally soak my clothes by the end of the day. So I put it on my chest and belly, and especially on the groin. I treat it like full body antiperspirant.

I dunno about australia, but it's sold everywhere in the US. Walmart, CVS, etc. It's in the same sections you'd buy shampoo or deodorant. The most known brand is probably either Johnson & Johnson or Old Spice, but I buy the generic brands.
Last time I looked it was for a specific brand, but it looks like there are some like Imperial Leather and such that are popular. May have to go to a Chemist Warehouse instead of a Big W for it.

I'm not in the sub-tropical area of Australia but I'm also not in the coldest southern regions either. It gets pretty hot but when it gets cold (like it is now that it's winter) I don't think it has even gone below 0 C. So Texas can actually get colder than Australia. I've been gone so long I'm actually starting to forget what Texan weather was like.

EDIT: Yeah I was specifically looking for Gold Bond Menthol powder, since people were praising it. I could just go with other brands as I'd have to import it at cost.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I mean, even showering once a week is too much of a struggle for most nerds.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I looked it was for a specific brand, but it looks like there are some like Imperial Leather and such that are popular. May have to go to a Chemist Warehouse instead of a Big W for it.

I'm not in the sub-tropical area of Australia but I'm also not in the coldest southern regions either. It gets pretty hot but when it gets cold (like it is now that it's winter) I don't think it has even gone below 0 C. So Texas can actually get colder than Australia. I've been gone so long I'm actually starting to forget what Texan weather was like.

Well yeah, but Texas is also like the size of a good chunk of western europe. Like, here in Houston, I can count on one hand the number of times it snowed in the 30+ years I've lived here. And that's counting any snow flurry, not the times it "stuck to the ground." But up in Dallas? It snows almost every year. So it's kind of impossible to define Texas weather, because it varies from area to area. Some places are plains, some are grasslands, some are marshes, some are deserts. There are even mountain ranges in Texas. That Houston and Lubbock can be in the same state is pretty mind blowing honestly. That's yin and yang right there. 0% humidity year round vs 100% humidity year round.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Well yeah, but Texas is also like the size of a good chunk of western europe. Like, here in Houston, I can count on one hand the number of times it snowed in the 30+ years I've lived here. And that's counting any snow flurry, not the times it "stuck to the ground." But up in Dallas? It snows almost every year. So it's kind of impossible to define Texas weather, because it varies from area to area. Some places are plains, some are grasslands, some are marshes, some are deserts. There are even mountain ranges in Texas. That Houston and Lubbock can be in the same state is pretty mind blowing honestly. That's yin and yang right there. 0% humidity year round vs 100% humidity year round.
Yeah in school I remember them telling us that Texas had one of the largest amount of biomes in one state. In Dallas it snows a lot but only occasionally sticks, in South Australia I've never seen it snow, we don't even get frost on plants in the morning. The heat on the other hand...

I'm definitely going to try and switch to talcum. I've tried those medical strength anti-perspirants and I don't feel like they work when I'm out and about. They dry my armpits out but I still sweat through. Might have to do the full body thing.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah in school I remember them telling us that Texas had one of the largest amount of biomes in one state. In Dallas it snows a lot but only occasionally sticks, in South Australia I've never seen it snow, we don't even get frost on plants in the morning. The heat on the other hand...

I'm definitely going to try and switch to talcum. I've tried those medical strength anti-perspirants and I don't feel like they work when I'm out and about. They dry my armpits out but I still sweat through. Might have to do the full body thing.
I legitimately think Texas is a beautiful state. I've been to just about every inch of it, I adore long drives so it's the state for me. When you're driving through some rural country side and the sun is setting, and you see untouched land for miles all around, it's just some really beautiful stuff.

I use deodorant and antiperspirant alongside my talcum powder, to clarify. Not an either-or thing.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've always showered twice a week, no complaints. I don't have very labor-intensive work, so that definitely helps. I can certainly understand construction workers washing daily, but for most people I always knew it was a load of bunk. Showering twice a day is a waste of time, resources and money.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Poll sucks. Where is my "usually once a day, sometimes twice depending on weather and activity, and very rarely on days off from work I'll skip a day while hiding from the world" option?