• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Mine does it with any disc. It's the drive itself.

Every time it spins I worry it's gonna become a PS4 Pro jet engine, but it stops after a few seconds.

I just put in a standard bluray movie. It's not as loud. Must be a game disc thing. But I don't own any uhd movies to test that out. Would be a terrible movie watching experience if uhd movies was also this loud lol

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Sony gets the current, shitty build quality and coil whine under control. After the abysmal PS4 Pro I'm not suffering another piece of shit Sony console. I'm not even interested in buying a PS5 if I could, until they sort this shit out. Consoles are supposed to be trouble-free, little gaming machines. These recent machines are fucking awful.

Same. I really cannot believe the size of the thing and it's still so noisy. What the hell are Sony even doing these days? After the shit I put up with on the PS4 "Pro" there is no way I want this thing in my house the way things stand right now.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
If this were about the noise when it is horizontal. I noticed that giving the stand a teeny nudge to balance theconsole out helps reduce the noise.

The stand can kind of rattle if it isn't on perfectly.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I have a PS5 with the disc drive but I can't say I've ever heard it being loud at all. Like, it's incredibly quiet at all times.

Could be because I previously had a loud PS4 Pro and the PS5 is dead silent in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I don't find the disc drive in my PS5 to be noisy. It's not silent, but it's significantly less audible than my PS4 Pro disc drive was. Aside from that, I can't even hear the PS5 when it's on.

But as some have pointed out, try adjusting the stand and see if that helps with the disc drive noise.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It's a 10x drive, which significantly amplifies the noise and vibration created by imbalanced discs.

If you get an imbalanced disc, it's the disc you need to replace, not the PS5.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A close second to the Dreamcast in noisy disc drives. Dreamcast is still the king of sounding like it is chewing discs constantly.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
The lottery build quality and fan type is so offputting, at least 4 different parts are problematic noise-makers

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Here's mine.

Same noise whether it's vertical or horizontal. I've also put foam pads under the stand so the vibrations are contained within the console.

Let's just say outside of big release where I can save a significant amount on money on physical, I'll mostly be sticking to digital games this gen.

I would definitely report that, doesn't sound right at all.

Oct 28, 2017
Why does the PS5 spin up once every 45 minutes? Is it some kind of DRM? Because isnt that what Xbox One team got roasted for wanting to do in 2013?

Or is this something else?

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Real glad I got a digital version

Same here.

tenor.gif

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I must be going deaf lol...I have it on vertical and hardly hear it at all, definitely not shaking the ground

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
They all are. My Series X shakes my entire desk when it's installing a game (vertical).

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Here's mine.

Same noise whether it's vertical or horizontal. I've also put foam pads under the stand so the vibrations are contained within the console.

Let's just say outside of big release where I can save a significant amount on money on physical, I'll mostly be sticking to digital games this gen.

Okay yeah that's bad.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
My biggest problem with starting up the PS5 is that if you have a headphone plugged in the startup jingle doesn't play.

Instead you only start getting sound to the headphones once you've selected a profile with your controller, by which time the jingle is over.

I really like the PS5 jingle as well.