• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pick your Team

• Team SLEEP

Votes: 95 26.8%
  • Team PARALYSIS

Votes: 260 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which side are you part of?

Name the game that has cemented your decision.

I'll announce the winner when the poll gets closed on Feb 1st.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a D&D nerd and sleep only works on low hit dice monsters. Hold Person/Monster has no limitations beyond choosing the right one for the creature type.

Hold Person was a go to spell through all 11 gold box D&D games for me.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
Paralysis can still allow some enemies to cast magic, right? Where as sleep you can't act at all. I think that's right.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Paralysis because of speed reduction and the fact that unlike Sleep, it wont just stop from occurring until heal.

Game: Pokemon series

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
In a lot of games, Sleep will expire if the affected target takes damage, but the same restriction never applies to Paralysis. Sometimes this mitigated by Sleeping enemies taking extra "sneak attack" damage, but in general I think this is a pretty clear win for Paralysis.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
It's nice that Paralysis doesn't wear off in Pokémon and the speed penalty is great, but Sleep has a higher catch multiplier.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Sleep.

In Pokemon, I always felt like it helped more than paralysis to catching them (anecdotally, of course)

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I like Sleep in Pokemon, because there's still fun things to do, both when Enemies are asleep (Dream Eater) and when your mon is asleep (Sleep Talk).

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
The answer has always been Paralysis.
I would like to have a chat with those of you who voted for the Sleep option.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sleep is great in games where you can avoid waking enemies up if you attack them.

For example, in FFX sleeping enemies won't be woken up by magic attacks.

Oct 25, 2017
sleep almost always breaks on damage, still has a lot of uses but if anyone in your party has DoTs you're fucked.

Oct 27, 2017
As a Granblue player I fucking hate when I cast sleep in a raid and someone joins and immediately wakes the boss.

Like damn let me get my hit in.

Paralysis is always better.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
As in which one would I prefer using myself? Not sure, I guess paralysis, I don't really use status effects in games though, not sure why, but I would imagine paralysis is the better option since most things probably awaken after hitting them.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Paralysis seems to be harder for the opponent to heal

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it really depends on each game. My experience with these is mostly from playing Pokémon, and at least in those games, I believe Paralysis is the better one because it's "permanent", whereas Sleep lasts only a few random turns. Granted, Sleep also prevents the affected Pokémon from attacking altogether, but I'll take Paralysis' 50% chance of interrupting an attack over having to set Sleep repeatedly.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Sleep is just paralysis that goes away when you get hit. Paralysis is better. (going by FF rules)

Of course, they're both generally a waste of time to use, if they even stick, which is seldom. So maybe the question should be based on which one you'd rather be hit with. In which case it's sleep.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
As an Elder Titan main I know the secret deadly potential of sleep.

*looks for a sic gif to post*

..nope, looks like so few people play this hero that there are no gifs.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is Etrian Odyssey the only RPG where Paralysis only has about a 50% chance to disable the enemy each turn that it's active? I feel like it's not the only game like this.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
Well in pokemon paralyze reduce speed in 50% and there is a chance that the pokemon doesn't move.
Sleep the pokemon loses a Turn (except if uses snore)

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm voting paralysis, but it depends on what sleep's benefits are.

If sleep = guaranteed crit on wakeup hit, then that can be great. If you have complete targeting control on enemies so you can avoid early wakeup and max your crit, it gets even better. If the duration isn't random (or at least has a guaranteed minimum >1) that's super good.

If paralysis = full inaction, that's > than sleep, because you can beat on the enemies without any attacks back. However, if it's "occasional" paralysis then it's just OK. If it's also just non-physical attacks (such that spells still work) then again, just OK.

Really comes down to targeting ability, duration / break state / bonuses and if paralysis is just the physical actions (where silence is for spells).

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about other games but in Pokemon at least paralysis alone can win games, even if your squad is complete ass

Genz

Oct 27, 2017
Their usage is different, and I guess most game don't have much use of sleep.
In FFXI, crowd control is very important, so a good use of sleep is vital.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More often than not sleep is not implemented terribly well. It's either they flat out are asleep and getting dunked on for multiple turns with you not being able to do shit, or there's a chance the afflicted wakes up randomly/wakes up when they're hit.

Paralysis as a whole is more consistent so I'll go with that.