• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 24, 2020
The album is solid - even if I think the retro synth pop revival aesthetic is SUPER played out at this point. We've basically spent a longer period of time in the "nostalgic synth" era than we did the actual 1980's.

Yeah. I was kind of wondering why people were saying synth pop is "in". It was always big these last few years, I guess they just went mega hard on it this year.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Damn I remember almost 12 years ago when he was just an underground artist from Toronto. Was homeless too I think. Got a lot of attention due to his covers from MJ and similar style. And now look at him. Kinda mindblowing.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
As promised, here is the full Time performance of Blinding Lights

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I remember almost 12 years ago when he was just an underground artist from Toronto. Was homeless too I think. Got a lot of attention due to his covers from MJ and similar style. And now look at him. Kinda mindblowing.

House of Balloons is still his best project.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Trilogy but I'm not as into his recent works after the mixtapes

Wicked Games is one of the best songs of all time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I only know him from Uncut Gems.

Yeah, I'm out of touch.
And I only went to go watch Uncut Gems because of him. What totally different worlds we come from :)

anyway, instead of making a new thread I figure I would bump this with Variety's article about him.

"I heard The Weekend in three places over the past few days: on the Emmy Awards, on the NBA, and in my house," says Daniel Glass, a veteran executive and founder of Glassnote Records who faced a similar situation with Childish Gambino a few years ago. "That to me says he's extremely popular, and the first three letters of that word are 'pop.' If you ask what genre Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson or Prince are, you say pop, not R&B, and I think he's approaching that league of mass appeal. I don't consider ['After Hours'] a narrow R&B or hip-hop album at all, and it's definitely an album of the year candidate."

variety.com

Is the Weeknd Pop, R&B or Hip-Hop? Why the Distinction Matters at the Grammys

Is The Weeknd a pop, R&B or hip-hop artist? That distinction is important when it comes to the Grammy Awards.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
He has my complete interest with every new release and that's one of the best compliments I can give any artist.
Also, there were a lot of different, great variations of "pop" music this year, hard to say that 'x' is best.
Fiona, Moses Sumney, Perfume Genius, Rina... etc.. Apples/oranges

let me also add this album that came out, it is fiiiire but also disco asF so ymmv but sitting at an 86/87 on critic aggregate sites

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't want to make a new thread for this but since this trending at #1 now I think it is worth the bump: