• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
As always, TIME is one if the first to publish their top-10 games of the year

time.com

The 10 Best Video Games of 2020

From 'Spider-Man: Miles Morales' to 'Among Us'

1. Hades
2. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
3. The Last of Us Part II
4. Among Us
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
6. Ori and The Will of The Wisps
7. Call of Duty: Warzone
8. Microsoft Flight Simulator
9. Fall Guys
10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know when Microsoft Flight Simulator will come to xbox? Also, I guess I need to play Hades

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great list, good amount of variety in genres and AAA/indie split.
and awesome to see hades having such amazing recognition.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Will of the Wisps being in there makes this a good list. Still have to try Hades for myself, but I 100% believe the hype.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Among Us outta nowhere.

I've never seen a two+ year old game suddenly have this huge explosion of popularity.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Among Us is a 2020 game for all intents and purposes and deserves to be on the list if for nothing else the popularity it has. I really don't like the game but it's impact on the general population is undeniable.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Strange list. Spider-Man over TLOU2? No Demon's Souls? Tony Hawk Remaster but no Xenoblade Remaster? Among Us? NO ALYX AS USUAL. Time too poor to affort a VR Setup?

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Good list, Among Us has been such a good & approachable game for my friends & I recently, a lot of casual friends who won't normally join in love it.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Among Us is a 2020 game for all intents and purposes and deserves to be on the list if for nothing else the popularity it has. I really don't like the game but it's impact on the general population is undeniable.

It's a 2020 game if you ignore the fact it came out in 2018.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely sick of all of these disgusting vermin forgetting Nioh 2. Nioh 2, the best game ever.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strange list. Spider-Man over TLOU2? No Demon's Souls? Tony Hawk Remaster but no Xenoblade Remaster? Among Us? NO ALYX AS USUAL. Time too poor to affort a VR Setup?
demons souls was sent to the media much later than miles morales, if i'm not mistaken. a lot of publications probably started working on their goty list before their staff got a chance to play and finish the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait they left out Ghost of Whatever. Nevermind, this list is great.
tenor.gif

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I do find it funny how in the video game industry, a game from the past can be considered eligible for a current year award if it becomes popular enough.

It would be like if some cult indie movie from a couple of years ago all of a sudden became popular and started being nominated for film awards.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Crash 4 deserves to be on this list. Toys for Bob did a great job.
I agree on Hades, Among us and Fall Guys. AC and The last of us 2 was expected. I guess I agree with the list mostly.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely sick of all of these disgusting vermin forgetting Nioh 2. Nioh 2, the best game ever.

Tbh not surprising. I was burned out at the time i've finished the story and still don't have urge to touch its dlc content. While the combat is God-tier for action-rpg, the game as a whole wasn't big jump over original. Asset reuse (including 99% of nioh 1 enemies and bosses) was way too much. It felt samey.

This list is great (well with exception of Miles Morales over Demon's Souls :p).

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
No Ghost of Tsushima is a glaring omission, other than that it's a fine list. Glad Hades is getting the recognition it deserves this week.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
surprised tlou 2 did not get first place , even new spiderman was higher

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I didn't realize that it's getting to be GOTY time already, man this year flew by.

Glad to see Hades getting the recognition it deserves, shame that a lot of people will miss out on Half Life: Alyx though. You can't play that game and not see why VR can be amazing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Flight Sim is a technical marvel but not really much of a game, that's always been the case with sims like that though. Now if we're counting the FS Economy mod on top of it that's another story.

Is Miles really that great? I liked the first game well enough but not seeing a GOTY nod unless they really added something more in depth to the core loop for MM.

Final note I really need to play Hades, its been sitting in my EGS library unplayed for entirely too long.

Makr

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
I do find it funny how in the video game industry, a game from the past can be considered eligible for a current year award if it becomes popular enough.

It would be like if some cult indie movie from a couple of years ago all of a sudden became popular and started being nominated for film awards.
It's similar to the Grammys which nominates 'Best New Artist' even if the artist has debuted a few years prior

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
s Miles really that great? I liked the first game well enough but not seeing a GOTY nod unless they really added something more in depth to the core loop for MM.

It's a polished open world game with actually great traversal, so that alone makes it unsurprising to see it make it into Top 10 lists.

And compared to the first game, it has brisk pacing, and the addition of Venom Blast powers make the combat a lot more fun.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Huh, this list is actually pretty conventional by TIME standards. Usually they add a few mobile/indie games that I've never heard of, that end up being pretty damn good. eg. Alto's Journey in 2019, Florence / Donut County in 2018.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It's a polished open world game with actually great traversal, so that alone makes it unsurprising to see it make it into Top 10 lists.

And compared to the first game, it has brisk pacing, and the addition of Venom Blast powers make the combat a lot more fun.

Cool good to know, I'll for sure check it out at some point 👍

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I haven't touched my copy of MM yet, but it seems way too high on that list, even as someone who loved Spider-Man 2018