• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/XFL2023/status/1551349515160109056

xfl-simpsons.gif

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Is this some kind of money laundering scheme for the Rock? Like he has to know this is going to fail, right?

Real

Oct 28, 2017
i'm a sucker for alternative football leagues. XFL was fun as hell last time it was on

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Everyone thinks they want football year round but in reality nobody watches. It needs to be a feeder league into the NFL for people to care and have it be successful. A minor league for the nfl would do that

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
No Chicago? Soldier Field is going to be football-vacant soon. Gotta do something about that.

Oct 30, 2017
most of the XFL's rule changes last time were actually pretty great (no kicking for extra points, double-forward passes, better kickoffs, two-point conversion shootouts instead of overtime, etc) before covid derailed the whole thing, so i hope this succeeds. the NFL is so slow to change obvious problems with its product.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Will the Rock come out on opening day like he did during the WB panel at SDCC?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Vince McMahon. The only wrestling carney who doesn't want to be a wrestling carney.

He is so obsessed with being known for something different than wrestling promoter.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Everyone thinks they want football year round but in reality nobody watches. It needs to be a feeder league into the NFL for people to care and have it be successful. A minor league for the nfl would do that

That's basically what the new XFL's going to be in a nutshell. They've got a partnership with the NFL Alumni Academy (the place where all the top undrafted rookies and free agents train during the season in case an opportunity to sign with a team arises). Once the season finishes, everybody that completed the program that didn't sign with a team now gets an automatic XFL contract.

They also have a partnership with NFL Ops and that's where they'll work together to develop and test new rules, etc. On top of that, The Rock is doing this with Redbird Capital and they're one of the most player centric sports firms out there.

This actually does have a legit shot to do something.

Last edited:

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021
The merch store at XFL.com has all blank t-shirts.

I wonder if the team names and colors will be new?

Goodbye NY Guardians. New York fans are free agents right now!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that pretty much college football these days?

College football is popular for far more reasons than being an NFL feeder league. It has its tentacles entrenched in areas (particularly the South and MidWest) that predates the NFL and has generations and generations of fan loyalty.

I'm not sure the NFL really needs a "feeder league" apart from that. This isn't really like the MLB or even the NBA where often young players need a few years of seasoning to be ready to produce. In the NFL with the exception of a few outliers, you are either good enough to play or not. Even guys drafted in mid rounds are expected to produce to a certain extent, and if you can't they'll dump you and draft someone new the next year. Its a meat market and the average career lifespan for a player reflects that. Its not like the XFL 3.0 is going to be littered with diamonds in the rough or guys that NFL scouts missed out on. If thats a thing they are hoping to hang their hat on to generate fan interest, I just don't see it.

Rock is clearly a far better/smarter business man than Vince McMahon, but I'll believe a secondary pro football league can succeed when it happens.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Having a team in San Antonio is smart

Was a good market for AAF while it lasted

Dega

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No team names?

Just XFL "City"?

I like it. Wished Washington kept the "Washington Football Team" name.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Vince McMahon. The only wrestling carney who doesn't want to be a wrestling carney.

He is so obsessed with being known for something different than wrestling promoter.
You do realize he has NOTHING to do with this version.. right?

This is owned by Dwayne Johnson and partners.
It also has something huge going for it.. a relationship with the NFL and MASSIVE TV deals.

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-latest-news...pril 11, 2022,former NFL coaches and players.