• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about this game that has stuck with children? There have been free to play shooters before, and none have blown up with kids like this.

I'm struggling to name one that was playable on PS4 and Xbone in addition to PC before Fortnite existed. Quality F2P games have been a lot less common on Console up until very recently. It was the first BR game to come out on consoles, and at the time it was released a ton of people were really fed up with Bluehole's terrible support of PUBG and were interested in alternatives. On top that the game's art style and frequency of updates didn't hurt either. The combination of being F2P, great to play with friends, being decently generous to people with small amounts of money, (such as kids with allowances) having an appealing art style, and eventually having cross-platform play combined with getting to the market way before any real competition arrived was sort of a perfect storm that lead to it being as successful as it was. Epic's marketing and their means of keeping players engaged (such as the battlepass) have also been really good.

If you're reading carefully, you'll notice I didn't really mention anything about the gameplay there, and that's because aside from it possessing qualities that literally every other BR game has I feel like Fortnite's gameplay has been irrelevant to its success. I've played a fair amount of BRs, and while it's far from the worst I've played, I can name at least 4 that have better core gameplay than Fortnite. I think a massive chunk of people play Fortnite because it's a F2P BR that's playable on console that all their friends are also playing, not because the gameplay is just that good.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What is it about this game that has stuck with children? There have been free to play shooters before, and none have blown up with kids like this.

It's free, it's multiplayer, its violence is cartoony and relatively kid friendly, it's available on everything from console to PC to mobile, doesn't require powerful PC - parents have no real way of stopping their kids play it. Beyond all those things Fortnite is a pretty good game. It's accessible and polished and always changing in a way that keeps it fresh. It isn't going to last forever. It's in serious decline already and I do wonder if there might be a point where it stops being seen as cool and very swiftly loses a lot of its auidence, but we'll see. I don't get the feeling that Chapter Two has reinvigorated things like Epic presumably hoped.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still rather salty that the Battle Royale mode has completely overshadowed the way better gamemode, aka Save The World. A lot of people are missing out on the surprisingly fantastic writing and voice acting in StW.

Whether Fortnite BR keeps up its popularity remains to be seen, but might be slowly declining. I'm not sure what the hell Sweeny is on about, though.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still rather salty that the Battle Royale mode has completely overshadowed the way better gamemode, aka Save The World. A lot of people are missing out on the surprisingly fantastic writing and voice acting in StW.

Whether Fortnite BR keeps up its popularity remains to be seen, but might be slowly declining. I'm not sure what the hell Sweeny is on about, though.
Even if they know about Save the World, a lot of people still believe the myth that development has stalled completely on it. They don't realize that there has been a new little questline practically every other week for a few months now and it is constantly getting hero and weapon updates that change up the meta.

Then you have Creative, which even I don't keep up with outside of watching Muselk do death runs in.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if they know about Save the World, a lot of people still believe the myth that development has stalled completely on it. They don't realize that there has been a new little questline practically every other week for a few months now and it is constantly getting hero and weapon updates that change up the meta.
Yeah, seriously, they're still updating it with new heroes, weapons/traps and even new questlines. The Storm King boss fight event in the BR mode is basically just a modified version of the Storm King fight that was implemented in StW months before.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
"You can communicate to a new cybercity... This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"

Nov 27, 2017
California
Fortnite movie or tv show for Netflix
Surprised there's not one already
Lego set loot lama should've happened ages ago

single player story mode would be my other guess, launch title x the only way to play fortnite on the new systems for a few months 👀

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They already tried to release another game using the Fortnite-esque styles/universe and it is essentially dead. Unless Tim is going to make Fortnite become a platform for further types of games I'm not really sure what the go is here, the staff are already slaves with their horrendous hours.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
d9d.gif
This is disgusting

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then you have Creative, which even I don't keep up with outside of watching Muselk do death runs in.
It'd be nice if I could play it on my preferred system, Epic...

Don't worry, Monopoly lost its meaning decades ago

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Maybe it will evolve into a distant memory instead.

I expect a movie at some point though.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Fortnite can release a new season before 12 months is out. I keep checking and nope, nothing.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Wouldn't be surprised to see them expand on creative with more user generated content and more powerful tools tailored to it, sort of a dreams competitor.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Fortnite is already more than a game. Its an advertisement billboard for movies and other IPs, a cultural sensation that's affected our youth both positively (bringing them together) and negatively (bullying and whatnot).

I'd say it's been a platform for a long time now.