• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
User warned: inflammatory generalisation of the community
Is Crunch the new EA Bad?

I swear the majority of you are probably just outraged for the sake of outrage.

edit: yes, I realize this post as originally written was in poor taste for the topic at hand.

Last edited:

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
CONTROVERSIAL OPINION BASED ON EXPERIENCE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I work in software and experience crunch from time to time to meet deadlines, implement patches etc.
There's no getting used to it. It's not normal and I still believe that crunch should be the exception and not the rule because I can admit that some Saturdays were necessary to add more polish. But these are few and far in between because if you do 4 hours of focused worked between 8-5, it tends to be higher quality code than unfocused coding done in 10-15 hours. How about focused coding for 10-15? Can be beneficial in rare cases when managed properly but over time causes mental issues. I don't care how gifted a coder you are.
That's my experience. If you manage your team well, you can even eliminate crunch completely. I've headed projects with tight deadlines and with the odd one or two weekend at the office, I have always encouraged my team to remain focused and implement good solutions within an amount of time that complements their neutral activities over time than degrades their health.
Hard, smart work = quality code but that's not necessarily = more hours outside of the time the brain functions at its optimal best.
#CrunchIsSlavery #ExceptionNotTheRule
What a wonderful and measured take. No need for the disclaimer.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They could always hire more teams to reduce crunch, but that would probably eat into the profits they are so proud of.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Apex is a prime example of not succumbing to crunch but losing its massive momentum because of it. If crunch is necessary, one option is to give big bonuses and increases on overtime with generous off time after heavy crunching. Fortnite is probably the biggest success story in gaming history so instead of wasting your money on your launcher, pay your workers more Epic.
My thinking now is that if it's really not possible to make or support a game without months of crunch then frankly that game shouldn't exist in that form. It shouldn't be legal to work employees to death like that and potentially gain an unfair advantage over companies who treat thier workers properly. If lack of crunch really is the reason Apex can't keep up with Fortnight then I see that as Epic distorting the market with inhuman work hours.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It is terrible when it happens and i hope that companies should just stop using this for the good of their workers.
This interraction on tweeter makes Sweeney as an inconsiderate a-hole but he is not the only one in gaming industry, i am afraid there are many like him.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Every time someone conflates long hours with "hard work" I want to fucking slap them. No one is accusing your company of working too hard; they're accusing you of exploiting your workforce.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Lol he's fighting with costumers on twitter, great way to make people like your store

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
have you ever worked a 100 hour week?

did you come away from it saying 'yes this is good, the quality of my work at the end of it was excellent, and the effect it had on my family life was great, we should do this often'?
Sorry, I should've clarified. My post was in no way trying to downplay crunch, it was aimed at the, IMO, faux outrage that a lot of posters here seem to have around it.

Working long hours is not good for anyone's health. I've done it before, I'm sure I'll end up doing it again in the future at some point. And it sucks.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Just to play devil's advocate here I'm willing to bet that 1: They pay their employees well above average compared to other AAA studios 2: They will be hiring people that are qualified until they have enough on board that can lessen the workloads to a normal"ish" amount. 3: Any of their devs has a huge boon on their resume now and could probably get jobs at any dev in the world that's hiring. Being on the team that made the most successful game.in the world has to be a major plus.

Now I'm not saying I agree with crunch or what epic does or doesnt do. Just wanted to provide some counter points worth thinking about.

I definitely hope these devs can take time and manage themselves enough to stay healthy and happy and wish them the best and congratulations on the amazing success of their team.

Oct 27, 2017
It's around people crying for crunch to stop at these studios but then buying the products anyways.

Where have I heard this before...?

ViQiR7r.jpg

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Unless those employees receive royalties or stock options then they don't "share" in the company's success.
Epic is famous for their extremely generous employee bonus system, so theres that. You dont "accidentally" end up at Epic, they are picky, and reward people well.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
It's around people crying for crunch to stop at these studios but then buying the products anyways.
Even if everyone in this forum decided to boycott the games it wouldn't be enough to change anything.

The consumers shouldn't be responsible for the livelihood of the people making the games, it's the job of the CEO/managers/etc to care about this.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This is disgusting and seriously can we get laws thrown into place that stops people from being able to do this? Like a mandatory 80hrs max a week?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

But seriously, people defending crunch time are playing into capitalist propaganda. It's not necessary for the industry and should no longer be the norm. Developers need unions!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Tbh idk what great insightful response were supposed to get on Twitter about this.especially when it's in the form of a barrage of complaints a few people want him to address all at once.

I do think people are getting a little Carrie away with throwing every compalint in the world at him at once? Are they perfect, not at all, but the crunch is an industry wide problem that isn't going to be solved at epic first of all places. We really need unions in the industry to protect workers. Especially with the recent news of publishers removing credits for people who left the company regardless of how much they helped shape the product. These working conditions should be unacceptable, at epic and anywhere else.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I make my living as a video editor, and rarely work more than 40 hours in a week (9a-6p). Usually if I do, it's because I have to show up at a company event on a weekend or something, so it's really not the same kinda work. Meanwhile, I have a coworker who routinely comes in at 10am and works until 1am, not because our boss requires it, but because she's a perfectionist who combs through every frame of a video before rendering it out. She and I are both salaried, therefore we get no overtime or other compensation for working long hours, and ultimately, she does outstanding work, but if you put hers next to mine, you'd honestly be hard pressed to see any difference. My point is there are people who actually put themselves through this willingly for some reason, and I, personally, will never understand it. Especially when you're just burning yourself out for a company that couldn't care less about you.

Now, when it comes to being forced to work like that, there's very clearly something fundamentally wrong with how things are being run, and I think many times young people who've always wanted to work in gaming just don't realize what exactly it is they're in for. The long hours then become normal to them, and they end up thinking that's just how things are/have to be. Regardless, someone needs to crack down on these companies, because they can do (are doing?) a lot of harm to their employees' physical and mental health.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim shouldn't have even bothered responding honestly, these people are clearly just looking to be upset. The first person opens by just shitting on a game's success for no reason then just pivots to calling Tim smug, plainly a troll. Then the second includes missing features AND crunch in the same criticism, which is pretty much a lose lose to engage with. Somehow I just find it very hard to believe that these people are approach from a place of good faith and empathy.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
He can continue to scoff at allegations of poor employee care all he wants but it's starting to matter more and more in gaming media so he better adjust his terrible responses to at least give the appearance that he gives a shit. EGS is almost embracing the position of heel at this point and I think they'll regret it.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Tim shouldn't have even bothered responding honestly, these people are clearly just looking just to be upset. The first person opens by just shitting on a game's success for no reason then just pivots to calling Tim smug, plainly a troll. Then the second includes missing features and crunch in the same criticism, which is pretty much a lose lose to engage with. Somehow I just find it very hard to believe that these people are approach from a place of good faith and empathy.

Maybe the person responding to Tim was looking for an argument, that's a subjective assesment but that doesn't mean that Tims response is justified, he handwaved a genuine point about crunch and tried to turn it into a non-issue, one that has been widely reported as being very bad at Epic.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
From what I understand, Epic employees have been seeing big bonuses since Fortnite's success. That's what he's saying, that they all share in the success.

Now, in my opinion, all the money in the world can't make up for lost life hours and one's mental well-being. But maybe some of them see this as an opportunity to build a nest egg for a year and then move on to easier work?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is the money and overtime is so good people can't turn it down. Which can be pretty detrimental to one's health. Burnout is a real thing even with work you enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017

I work in software and experience crunch from time to time to meet deadlines, implement patches etc.
There's no getting used to it. It's not normal and I still believe that crunch should be the exception and not the rule because I can admit that some Saturdays were necessary to add more polish. But these are few and far in between because if you do 4 hours of focused worked between 8-5, it tends to be higher quality code than unfocused coding done in 10-15 hours. How about focused coding for 10-15? Can be beneficial in rare cases when managed properly but over time causes mental issues. I don't care how gifted a coder you are.
That's my experience. If you manage your team well, you can even eliminate crunch completely. I've headed projects with tight deadlines and with the odd one or two weekend at the office, I have always encouraged my team to remain focused and implement good solutions within an amount of time that complements their neutral activities over time than degrades their health.
Hard, smart work = quality code but that's not necessarily = more hours outside of the time the brain functions at its optimal best.

Well said. I work in software too, and any time overruns are totally on management hands.

From what I understand, Epic employees have been seeing big bonuses since Fortnite's success. That's what he's saying, that they all share in the success.

Now, in my opinion, all the money in the world can't make up for lost life hours and one's mental well-being. But maybe some of them see this as an opportunity to build a nest egg for a year and then move on to easier work?

The thing with crunch is that it completely destroys you. I had a coworker that due to stress, was one bad comment away from a divorce due to her being the main income bringer to her household. It killed her self confidence, and it took YEARS to repair that, despite being paid above average for a programmer here in my country.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Tim shouldn't have even bothered responding honestly, these people are clearly just looking to be upset. The first person opens by just shitting on a game's success for no reason then just pivots to calling Tim smug, plainly a troll. Then the second includes missing features AND crunch in the same criticism, which is pretty much a lose lose to engage with. Somehow I just find it very hard to believe that these people are approach from a place of good faith and empathy.

And?

They may have been trying to get a rise. But they aren't the CEO of a company that is making there staff work unnecessary hours to the detriment of their health.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not controversial. It's the truth. No one is saying that some periods of overtime are not needed, usually for a few weeks near the end or benchmark phases. But the stories are of weeks upon weeks upon months of 70+ hour weeks that are not mandatory but totally mandatory.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Why was it embarrassing?

Though everyone else's opinion is free to differ on this, I don't feel like getting involved in a random twitter argument using a corporate account dedicated to promoting a product is good practice, given the following attached to it and the anonymity that comes with using an account representing a product rather than a person to post things like these.

It'd be like Tim Sweeney using the EpicGames handle to reply to people rather than his personal twitter.

That said, I admit that embarrassing was the wrong word to use here.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
CONTROVERSIAL OPINION BASED ON EXPERIENCE.
By and large your experience is supported by actual science on the subject, ie. it should be common-sense/facts rather than 'controversial' or 'opinion'.

Of course - we're up against decades of established work culture environments that have taught otherwise, and people are generally averse to change, even when it's for the better.

He probably means they pay really well, and I wouldn't find that hard to believe.
Without context 'really well' doesn't mean much. From the information I've seen, their compensation isn't bad, but they aren't exactly top in games either, and obviously not even close in tech overall. To be clear, most people defend overworking for non monetary reasons anyway - I know most of the times I've done it had nothing to do with comp (more like the opposite).

Anyway - that quote about people being afraid to take the time off (which is supposed to be 'unlimited') says everything that needs to be said about work culture really.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of companies, especially in tech, offer RSU grants and stock options to employees that help them be rewarded when the company succeeds. Yet plenty of these companies do so without crazy work schedules and crunch. He's trying to act like bad WLB is okay as long as you give them stock options or RSU or something.