• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
It's obviously embarassing that Sweeney somehow believes he and his company are part of an opressed class situation that warrants a transgressive act such as this, but actively defending Apple... is certainly a choice lol

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Tim would be more than happy to foster a sense of creativity by letting people sell custom Fortnite skins without splitting money with Epic.

You don't get it - Tim is allowed to do that because he is a wunderkind, nobody else is allowed to. Same way only he can decide what the appropriate % cut is for digital platforms that everyone else must adhere to. Same way he's allowed to vertically integrate middleware+software via Unreal Engine and the Epic Store, but Apple are not allowed to vertically integrate hardware+software.

Tim is a perfect example of a libertarian dullard in that he cannot fathom even incidental non-market (i.e. pro-customer) actions by corporations - in Apple's case their stringency about locking down their products is partially about protecting their reputation as a safe platform for casual users, and in Valve's case much of their earnings are ploughed into initiatives that are either heavily in favour of customers or in favour of non-market Open Source activities or otherwise non-profitable pursuits (VR, Linux, etc).

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I wanted a live reaction video
:o

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tim really needs to stop tryin to make 1984 happen.
it's not gonna happen.
no one cares about the ad and what epic is repurposing it to mean.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
And finally, creators have rights. The right to build apps, share them with users directly, and do business directly, without being herded through a single centrally planned, anti-competitive store.

There is so much wrong in this tweet his lawyers must lose their mind

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am mostly stunned by Tim really misunderstanding the basic plot and themes of 1984. Wild.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Another OP showing tweets without their contents in forum quotes. 🤦‍♂️ Can we stop doing this in OPs? The Etcetera side is much better about this.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Between Apple and Epic I don't know why you'd be rooting for Apple? I'm not saying Epic is right but Apple in general can fuck off with all of their anti-consumer practices.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
At what point do we all just tell him to get bent? This posturing is stupid and may end up costing him more than he expected, particularly since he's also a large corporation doing the same thing under the guise of being "4 ThE PlAyErS".

Swear to god this year is insane. I never thought I'd be on Apple's side about anything, ever. Yet here we are.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
He wants the warning messages to disappear because the added friction is making it harder to maintain an audience. That said, I'm not sure whats preventing him from building some sort of client that you get once via apk and then is responsible for maintaining the Fortnite install. Not feasible?
I mean, the irony is that those warning messages are warning users about the sorts of security holes that can exist in software not reviewed by Google, and such a security hole did exist in that initial build of Fortnite for Android.

As for him building an Epic Games Store client for Android, honestly, I don't think anything's stopping him. Amazon has its own app store. Different phone manufacturers have their own app stores. Thing is, Epic knows it'll never get the exposure that the Play Store gives it, which is why I don't understand the case against Google.

My understanding is that they're claiming that Android isn't really open enough because the Play Store is still the de facto store. I believe that the EU has actually ruled against Google in a somewhat similar case, but that was about requiring that OEMs bundle Google software with the OS, so I don't think it would have any relevance here though.
There're so many Android devices that don't ship with the Play Store pre-installed that I still have trouble understanding the case against Google here. Other companies have their own Android app stores, and people still want the Play Store because they realize they're missing out otherwise.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
And through all this Apple just lets their lawyers do the talking. However, if Jobs were still alive and at the helm of Apple, the fireworks would have been amazing between him and the 2nd rate John Carmack.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Between Apple and Epic I don't know why you'd be rooting for Apple? I'm not saying Epic is right but Apple in general can fuck off with all of their anti-consumer practices.

In this particular case it's because they're posturing as a Robin Hood of the people while also being a multi corporation who does the same dubious stuff. It's hypocritical.

Sure sue Apple, but don't go on weaponizing children, pushing code with an alternate payment processor in your app while masking it from Apple (and which is a breach of contract) and then throwing tantrums on Twitter.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I can agree with this. Apple's "30% or nothing" attitude needs to change a little. They lock access to their large and successful platform behind an arbitrary number. I imagine most people who release apps on the app store would like to be able negotiate a better deal or have Apple justify why 30% is the number.

Do some research. Apple executives didn't just wake up one morning and said "30%, I like that percentage". It's an industry standard.

Here's an article for the gaming industry side: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I just can't see how any argument can be made against Apple without also being made against MS, Sony, and Nintendo which Epic doesn't seem to want to touch. Unless these companies have already given Epic a cut on the rate, which would spit in the face of what Epic is arguing and back up completely what Apple is arguing.
Where are the console lawsuits Epic?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Because people are focusing on the actual lawsuit in question and not soapboxing empty rage against The Man like an angst Hot Topic teen.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
One more after the last one in the OP:

He's trying to push a store and set all this off by dodging payment processing standards, but it's about rights, not the money. At this rate he's going to descend into sovereign citizen arguments.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
There're so many Android devices that don't ship with the Play Store pre-installed that I still have trouble understanding the case against Google here. Other companies have their own Android app stores, and people still want the Play Store because they realize they're missing out otherwise.
Oh, I don't think it makes any sense either.

Tim is a perfect example of a libertarian dullard in that he cannot fathom even incidental non-market (i.e. pro-customer) actions by corporations - in Apple's case their stringency about locking down their products is partially about protecting their reputation as a safe platform for casual users, and in Valve's case much of their earnings are ploughed into initiatives that are either heavily in favour of customers or in favour of non-market Open Source activities or otherwise non-profitable pursuits (VR, Linux, etc).
I don't even think that was the case for Linux. Epic and Valve both correctly saw that a UWP-only future would in fact put Windows in a similar state as iOS and threaten their businesses, but investing in Linux pre-emptively seems like a much smarter strategy than doubling down on platforms you know are closed and then suing them.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Why did he choose Apple to fight with over the percentages? Why not Sony or Microsoft?

I imagine he'd have a much worse case against them as the Xbox and PlayStation stores compete with the retail, used, and rental markets and are not general computing devices unlike iOS and Android where Apple and Google effectively have 100% control over software distribution.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I really don't understand posters who are like "how can you be on Apple's side!"

This has nothing to do with sides, I'm sure most people don't like either company. This is about examining an argument from a company (Epic) and realizing it's a completely fucking bogus argument. Not only that, if their views of monopolies and anti-trust were to become precedent, it would nuke multiple industries and have extremely wide reaching consequences and as much as Sweeney insists that they're different, even the gaming industry would be massively damaged by this.

Also it doesn't help with peoples general ire towards Epic when Tim Sweeney, multiple times a day, continues to show himself to be a buffoon on twitter and more importantly also didn't read or possibly understand 1984.

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
I imagine he'd have a much worse case against them as the Xbox and PlayStation stores compete with the retail, used, and rental markets and are not general computing devices unlike iOS and Android where Apple and Google effectively have 100% control over software distribution.
Also, Google allows apps outside of its app store to be installed.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I really don't like it when Right wing people try to twist 1984's narrative into something completely different for the benefit of their viewpoint.
Either that or they straight up don't get it in the first place, which is probably more disturbing.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, the passive aggressive posts trying to box people in for calling epic out are beyond silly. No one has to be an Apple shill or part of some era hive mind to be of the opinion that both companies generally suck, but that epic is in the wrong in this case. One way or the other, I don't see why other posters here personally care how one feels about Apple or epic. Just going to wait and see what the courts say.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I imagine he's have a much worse case against them as the Xbox and PlayStation stores compete with the retail, used, and rental markets and are not general computing devices unlike iOS and Android where Apple and Google effectively have 100% control over software distribution.
I don't the the general computing argument would hold much water when Epic explicitly said they want to make "Epic Games Store" for iOS.

Also, Xbox/PS are both putting out consoles which don't have to compete with retail/used, but even in the case of discs the games in question still need to pass certification and need to be built with dev kits provided by the console makers. Neither of those is the case for Android.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many layers to the TIm criticizing Tim onion now. I am beginning to enjoy this trend of Tim reacting to things about the case though. Hope we keep hearing from him.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Apple's "30% or nothing" attitude needs to change a little. They lock access to their large and successful platform behind an arbitrary number.
That's... not really a number they made up themselves.

Also the entire notion kind of irks me. "They are large and successful and I want to be with them but they expect me to pay". I can't even articulate exactly why, but it just crosses wires in my head for some reason. Like... yeah? Yeah they do want you to pay. They aren't "locking their platform behind a number", them being large and successful is not an automatic free pass for everyone to take part of their success. They became large and successful by, among other things, making money by charging a service rate to use their platform, and demanding that they stop making money from it now that they've, basically, "grown large enough", is kind of baffling.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Good response from Tim. The counter suit is a joke. Apple trying to detract from their own shady business practices.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I can agree with this. Apple's "30% or nothing" attitude needs to change a little. They lock access to their large and successful platform behind an arbitrary number. I imagine most people who release apps on the app store would like to be able negotiate a better deal or have Apple justify why 30% is the number.

Why do they have to justify a number that is entirely industry standard?

It's the same number that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Google, Amazon and Steam charge.

And Steam don't make the hardware, OS or even the low level development tools/APIs. They're a store front with some modding etc software.

It's an industry standard, and one Apple does more to justify than many of the other players.

Are you equally as mad at every other player in the industry? You can replace "Apple" with literally any of the big players in your post.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand posters who are like "how can you be on Apple's side!"

This has nothing to do with sides, I'm sure most people don't like either company. This is about examining an argument from a company (Epic) and realizing it's a completely fucking bogus argument. Not only that, if their views of monopolies and anti-trust were to become precedent, it would nuke multiple industries and have extremely wide reaching consequences and as much as Sweeney insists that they're different, even the gaming industry would be massively damaged by this.

Also it doesn't help with peoples general ire towards Epic when Tim Sweeney, multiple times a day, continues to show himself to be a buffoon on twitter and more importantly also didn't read or possibly understand 1984.

No one has really been able to explain why it's bogus though? I think it'd be pretty hard to prove Apple doesn't have monopoly power over software distribution on their devices. Now wether that violates the laws Epic claims it does is a whole different discussion that is probably out of the wheelhouse of most people here, but I can't see why anyone could in good faith argue that having total control over software distribution is good for competition.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
To me this seems like a very calculated (also possibly poorly thought-out) PR move that was probably vetted by lawyers.

This applies to every aspect of this whole situation. It feels like Sweeney isn't doing what his lawyers suggest, instead doing whatever he wants unless the lawyers specifically tell him no.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Why did he choose Apple to fight with over the percentages? Why not Sony or Microsoft?

Honestly I think it's because iOS has a huge Fortnite playerbase.

If they win they're going to get a huge amount of money out of this, as much as Tim insists it's not about that.

According to Epic's own numbers, Fortnite for iOS accounted for as many as 1/3rd of Fortnite players, or around 116 million players.

Epic also stated that, according to their own statistics, at least 63% of these players only play on an iOS device.

www.sportskeeda.com

Fortnite lost 60% off its iOS players after Apple’s ban

Fortnite has reportedly seen a 60% drop in its iOS playerbase. Fortnite for iOS used to be the biggest group of player prior to its ban.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Meanwhile, it started because Epic added a direct payment system to bypass Apples 30% cut.

I'm not even an Apple fan and I wish Epic would just shut up already.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Sweeney proving he's no better than any other keyboard warrior.

Step away from the computer, Tim and let the big boys sort out your mess.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly kind of agree with everything he said. Besides the comparisons to 1984. Fuck walled gardens, maybe. Doesn't really justify his case against android though.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I didn't read something as stupid as "Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite" since that dude who made a parallelism between TLOU2 and The Schlinder List.