• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The person claiming they had it live running on a laptop.
The person was an lead engineer at Epic.
Is there a new link to it? They removed the original I guess. It wont work for me anymore.
Well, the plot thickens. Now the video is removed. Seems like the person wasn't allowed to say what he said.
thats a shamaylan twist if ive seen one.
Wow, lol.

Who to believe?

1.) The founder and CEO of Epic Games, the man who created the Unreal Engine, and presented this tech demo to the world.

2.) An employee of a subsidiary of Epic Games in a different country.
Are we really believing that an lead engine engineer doesn't know the difference between playing a video and running something in real-time? Is this some kind of bad joke?

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
You haven't done yourself any favours in this thread P40L0. Had you argued the Unreal Engine 5 presentation was made with an emphasis on showcasing PS5 you'd be correct. But you go too far. Your entire contribution screams "Xbox Series X too" while scouring the web for additional information that downplays the demo running on PS5, and from there you've descended further into some anti Tim Sweeney tirade. We learned on the day of presentation (plus multiple, well informed people in this thread have informed you) that UE5 scales and takes advantage of the hardware it's running on. We won't know what differences it will all make until we see the hardware/engine in action. Yet you ignore these contributions and double down on your agenda.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020

From the ex technical art director maybe some texture streaming artifact,. If it is the case SSD are never fast enough and this is the fastest one on the market ;)

That's explains the 30 target framerates.. the bottleneck to achieve 60 fps at this level of details must be the SSD
That and Tim's comment about the wide fps fluctuation with 1440p DRS enabled

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's explains the 30 target framerates.. the bottleneck to achieve 60 fps at this level of details must be the SSD

What a conclusion you got from that, 30fps instead of 60 because of the ssd? This forum keeps delivering the goods.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

In a system like this that will simply work with the data available, IO may be a bound on fidelity rather than on framerate. It would only become a framerate bound if they stopped being fluid on fidelity or if data was simply entirely missing.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
As a quick reminder, if you Limit your fps based solely on the slowest component (the ssd in the ps5 is tragically slow compared to the RAM it has) - then you are designing something which scales incredibly poorly. I do not think Epic is in the Business of making an engine which scales its Brand new visual features hard and solely on the slowest subsystem in computers.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He deliberately dodged the 1440p/40+ part
He deliberately dodged the 1440p/40+ part right now in the lab on the gaming laptop with future 60fps target on both next-gen consoles, the CPU-bound processing for things to keep up, the actual SSD requirements and directly tried to undermine/debunk the entire dev discussion stating they were only talking about the PS5 demo (when its video was playing) instead.

They were not.

Oh, they also shoot down the video upload, just in case.
So he said it was video stream. You are still ignoring that demo could scale to other platforms it doesn't mean every setting is going to be the same or run the same because of it.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
As a quick reminder, if you Limit your fps based solely on the slowest component (the ssd in the ps5 is tragically slow compared to the RAM it has) - then you are designing something which scales incredibly poorly. I do not think Epic is in the Business of making an engine which scales its Brand new visual features hard and solely on the slowest subsystem in computers.
Quite! Well said. As I said before, it seems that computational ability has disappeared from the equation for some people. The only thing holding back better graphics now is SSD bandwidth, and you get to shade millions of subpixel polygons for absolute free as long as you can fetch the data fast enough. :)

Dec 8, 2018

No that would certainly be a dumb engine design. It does however seem like even the PS5 might encounter streaming issues and if that is the case it seems even the fastest SSD available to consumers might be struggling with this demo which seems fascinating.

https://twitter.com/_ArtIsAVerb/status/1261892711088414721?s=20

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Epic already talked about the demo scaling with compute. We still don't know how it scales with I/O and how much it actually needed. I hope we get the deep dive soon with those details, but after seeing the chinese video going down, I wouldn't hold my breath that the tech deep dive will give us a lot of details.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
No that would certainly be a dumb engine design. It does however seem like even the PS5 might encounter streaming issues and if that is the case it seems even the fastest SSD available to consumers might be struggling with this demo which seems fascinating.

https://twitter.com/_ArtIsAVerb/status/1261892711088414721?s=20
It's got a long while till it releases tho (and this was on an early dev kit), so those streaming issues should be resolved right?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Quite! Well said. As I said before, it seems that computational ability has disappeared from the equation for some people. The only thing holding back better graphics now is SSD bandwidth, and you get to shade millions of subpixel polygons for absolute free as long as you can fetch the data fast enough. :)

I think there needs to be a little more recognition that it's a relationship between both. You're not scaling frametime with your SSD or memory setup here, but you may also be scaling fidelity with it, per the Epic engineer's comments. But because it allows you to shoot so high on the high end, it's acceptable if fidelity also 'scales hard' with memory or I/O, because probably even on more commonly available hardware, this will still look good in absolute terms compared to other more conventional approaches to geometry.

It's got a long while till it releases tho (and this was on an early dev kit), so those streaming issues should be resolved right?

The software stack will improve. I dunno how much the hardware in this case will, it's probably near final. That case there may be a fairly pathological one, and even those are hard to iron out though.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
We don't yet know that this is an 'issue' that needs to be 'resolved'. Perhaps this is working as intended for whatever it is that Nanite is doing? Much like how "Cherno" pointed out that it looks as though they could be using lighting bounce calculations from previous frames to update indirect lighting. Then the lighting taking a few ms to update wouldn't be an 'issue' to be resolved, it would just be how the solution works. Put bluntly, there seems to be a lot of speculation and not enough concrete information. :)

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
We don't yet know that this is an 'issue' that needs to be 'resolved'. Perhaps this is working as intended for whatever it is that Nanite is doing? Much like how "Cherno" pointed out that it looks as though they could be using lighting bounce calculations from previous frames to update indirect lighting. Then the lighting taking a few ms to update wouldn't be an 'issue' to be resolved, it would just be how the solution works. Put bluntly, there seems to be a lot of speculation and not enough concrete information. :)

I wouldn't say they're not issues. They may just be unavoidable with the current state of the art. I think indirect light lag may become a sticking point down the line, but for now it's just so much better than what we've had before that I think we'll take it. It's probably also something that's not quite as offensive to as many eyes as bad geometry LoD issues for example. (Lagging shadows would probably be perceived as more egregious too). Ultimately, though, with enough power, both these kinds of 'issues' are things we'll want to go away.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
With this level of detail, a number of different components are required. One of them is a certain level of performance of the graphics accelerator and its architecture, which allows to process a huge amount of geometry. It is a large number of teraflops. The second is the ability of the system to efficiently load and transfer resources.
Maybe they are!

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
I wouldn't say they're not issues. They may just be unavoidable with the current state of the art. I think indirect light lag may become a sticking point, but for now it's just so much better than what we've had before that I think we'll take it. It's probably also something that's not quite as offensive to as many eyes as bad geometry LoD issues for example. (Lagging shadows would probably be perceived as more egregious too). Ultimately, though, with enough power, both these kinds of 'issues' are things we'll want to go away.
Right, in the same way that well-known issues with screen space reflections will 'go away' with certain kinds of ray traced solutions. You can't get rid of them just by throwing more and more floating point operations per second at the screen space solution, because they're just part of how that solution works.

By comparison, if you play a game with texture streaming, it doesn't go away when you have an SSD, textures just load much faster. The engine is built to manage data in a certain way, and just increasing the bandwidth available to it doesn't make it manage data a different way. :)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You haven't done yourself any favours in this thread P40L0. Had you argued the Unreal Engine 5 presentation was made with an emphasis on showcasing PS5 you'd be correct. But you go too far. Your entire contribution screams "Xbox Series X too" while scouring the web for additional information that downplays the demo running on PS5, and from there you've descended further into some anti Tim Sweeney tirade. We learned on the day of presentation (plus multiple, well informed people in this thread have informed you) that UE5 scales and takes advantage of the hardware it's running on. We won't know what differences it will all make until we see the hardware/engine in action. Yet you ignore these contributions and double down on your agenda.
There's no "Agenda" or other Illuminati-like conspiracy crap.

Sweeney is just acting strange since the beginning of the UE5 reveal, focusing on PS5 unique features which made that possible then partially retracting, dodging legit questions and arguments and now loosely debunking (and putting offline) more details about other platforms' performance with it.

People can just read this progression in the OP, and make their own idea about it.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If no marketing deal it makes Tim's answers to geoffs Xbox questions very very weird
He's not answering because it's forcing him to make comparisons to both consoles. Tim is pretty much playing both sides of the fence here.

We'll likely hear what Unreal Engine 5 can benefit from XSX's hardware when the time comes. Most of Xbox's first party is using the engine after all.

Sweeney is just acting strange since the beginning of the UE5 reveal, focusing on PS5 unique features which made that possible then partially retracting, dodging legit questions and arguments and now loosely debunking (and putting offline) more details about other platforms' performance with it.

People can just read this progression in the OP, and make their own idea about it.

Yeah, you're looking for an agenda that isn't there. Xbox's time will come, it just shouldn't be during a tech demo that was using Playstation 5 hardware.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

I heard the demo used last year PS5 devkit less powerful than the final one in a video made by a french journalist talking about this demo with multiple devs. On software side, Sony libraries aren't final and improve a lot. The target is 60 fps and it works at this framerate currently at lower quality the goal is to reach it without losing quality.

Last edited:

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
See dictator post a few posts above.
If you connect the dots every thing makes sense

It lines up with Mark's BS talk about loading stuff as the player move

Some of the stuff in the Demo is overkill
8K Textures!.. you can reduce the quality easily
I advice you to watch Cerney's talk like Tim told someone on twitter

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the arguments in here is missing the forest for the trees.

The quality seen in this tech demo is most probably impossible for game development. It's a short slice that's probably around 400GB in size, but why did they do it?

Simply put, it's not only to showcase what the engine can do to help devs, but also market the engine for film/TV production, like what they did for The Mandalorian and Rogue One. That's where you need those film quality assets.

venturebeat.com

ILM reveals how it used Unreal Engine for ‘The Mandalorian’

ILM used Epic Games' Unreal Engine to create virtual sets for 'The Mandalorian.' This enables filmmakers to capture visual effects in camera.

Games will use lower quality assets. The engine will run very well on both next gen consoles due to this regard. Stop trying to get PR to force-feed you what you want to know and think for a change.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Some of the arguments in here is missing the forest for the trees.

The quality seen in this tech demo is most probably impossible for game development. It's a short slice that's probably around 400GB in size, but why did they do it?

Simply put, it's not only to showcase what the engine can do to help devs, but also market the engine for film/TV production, like what they did for The Mandalorian and Rogue One. That's where you need those film quality assets.

venturebeat.com

ILM reveals how it used Unreal Engine for ‘The Mandalorian’

ILM used Epic Games' Unreal Engine to create virtual sets for 'The Mandalorian.' This enables filmmakers to capture visual effects in camera.

Games will use lower quality assets. The engine will run very well on both next gen consoles due to this regard. Stop trying to get PR to force-feed you what you want to know and think for a change.
How big of an install is Star Citizen? Things are getting crazy already, the new Call of Duty I heard is 200gb. Maybe the future is streaming after all lol, that PS5 SSD is pretty small now isn't it?

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you connect the dots every thing makes sense

It lines up with Mark's BS talk about loading stuff as the player move

Some of the stuff in the Demo is overkill
8K Textures!.. you can reduce the quality easily
I advice you to watch Cerney's talk like Tim told someone on twitter

Don't like to connect dots since PR is heavely involved on those talks. Since Dictator is someone as neutral as it gets (and knowledgeable on the subjects) I will take his guesses over connecting dots.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How big of an install is Star Citizen? Things are getting crazy already, the new Call of Duty I heard is 200gb. Maybe the future is streaming after all lol, that PS5 SSD is pretty small now isn't it?

I think Star Citizen is about 45gb? So not too crazy.

PS5 has an 825gb SSD in it (that's the total size - without the OS and whatever taken out of it - no idea how much will be usable by the user).

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big of an install is Star Citezen? Things are getting crazy already, the new Call of Duty I heard is 200gb. Maybe the future is streaming after all lol.
In a decade? Maybe. The online architecture is still not there. This coronavirus situation shows how fragile it is.

Thankfully moving to SSDs will help game sizes to be smaller. Duplicated assets will no longer be a thing. Patches and updates wont cause game sizes to be as bloated as they are now and both consoles will have far better compression than this gen.

This will also translate to PC. DirectStorage is coming to Windows, and maaaaaybe game clients will give us the option to download games that's optimised for SSD that should be smaller in size. Also follow on Xbox and Playstation footsteps by letting us download what we need, than all the language packs when most of us need just one.

Good times ahead, I guess.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
How things will scale?

in PS5 you'll only need 1 second of gameplay data loaded in memory
In other slower systems, you'll need more than that loaded in memory
could be 5-30 seconds on other systems
I'd say it's pretty scalable
This not PR BS talk

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Don't like to connect dots since PR is heavely involved on those talks. Since Dictator is someone as neutral as it gets (and knowledgeable on the subjects) I will take his guesses over connecting dots.
I agree.

And as Dictator obviously stated, both Nanite and Lumen (and especially Lumen) scaling is much more tied to CPU/GPU compute than I/O throughtput (which both next-gen consoles have plenty, and surpass any current PC/NVMe architecture right now).

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
I agree.

And as Dictator obviously stated, both Nanite and Lumen (and especially Lumen) scaling is much more tied to CPU/GPU compute than I/O throughtput (which both next-gen consoles have plenty, and surpass any current PC/NVMe architecture right now).
I don't think Dictator made any such certain claim! Unlike some he actually seems to be respecting what we don't know about the technology instead of imagining what we don't know confirms what we already hope. :)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
In a decade? Maybe. The online architecture is still not there. This coronavirus situation shows how fragile it is.

Thankfully moving to SSDs will help game sizes to be smaller. Duplicated assets will no longer be a thing. Patches and updates wont cause game sizes to be as bloated as they are now and both consoles will have far better compression than this gen.

This will also translate to PC. DirectStorage is coming to Windows, and maaaaaybe game clients will give us the option to download games that's optimised for SSD that should be smaller in size. Also follow on Xbox and Playstation footsteps by letting us download what we need, than all the language packs when most of us need just one.

Good times ahead, I guess.
Good because things are getting kind of crazy now. Hitman 2 on PC is 150GB.

I think Star Citizen is about 45gb? So not too crazy.

PS5 has an 825gb SSD in it (that's the total size - without the OS and whatever taken out of it - no idea how much will be usable by the user).
OK, so not too bad then.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
Are you sure about this claim? It's not clear to me how doubling the SSD bandwidth over the nearest competitor results in a 5-30x performance increase in this manner! :)
It's not just speed, latency is important factor
PS5 has high speed low latency SSD
others will have high speed relatively high latency storage

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Let's face it if this demo had been running on XSX and the PS5 was never mentioned, there would be no claims regarding a marketing deal or Sweeney acting "strange", instead it would probably be claimed the XSX was used because of the TF advantage.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, did you really think that this demo is made only for PS5 and it won't work on other platforms? New iteration on an engine that shows its capabilities, it was so clear from the beginning that this was only PS5 marketing stunt and deal with Epic to present new technology on PS5

Welcome to the world of marketing.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I don't think Dictator made any such certain claim! Unlike some he actually seems to be respecting what we don't know about the technology instead of imagining what we don't know confirms what we already hope. :)
Here
and here.

Commercial deal? Huh?

Tim sweeny literally said it did in an Interview, but He does not even need to say it. GPU effects scaling with Compute capability is obvious. If some said their RTX 2070 ran better than an RTX 2080 that would be a logical impossiblty. Nanite and Lumen at the end of the day, and Lumen especially, are Compute Monsters. They will scale with Compute capability.

Last edited:

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I agree.

Tone it down. System wars doesn't usually bother me (I find it mildly entertaining), but when I'm trying to find concrete information on a given subject, people posting guesses/assumptions as fact is very annoying.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
Let's face it if this demo had been running on XSX and the PS5 was never mentioned, there would be no claims regarding a marketing deal or Sweeney acting "strange", instead it would probably be claimed the XSX was used because of the TF advantage.
It's wishful thinking indeed to imagine that any kind of perceived preferential treatment wont incur forensic examination and show trialling by fans of the other box. :)
Thank you for proving my point! He sticks to what was said, that Nanite and Lumen scale with compute capability (there's no such thing as a free lunch, afterall!), and that it would be odd to build an engine that's FPS limited by IO bandwidth. He has not said that the engine 'scales much more strongly with compute than IO bandwidth', because we don't know either way! :)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thank you for proving my point! He sticks to what was said, that Nanite and Lumen scale with compute capability (there's no such thing as a free lunch, afterall!), and that it would be odd to build an engine that's FPS limited by IO bandwidth. He has not said that the engine 'scales much more strongly with compute than IO bandwidth', because we don't know either way! :)
The two Dictator's posts talk by themselves, I really don't think there's much interpretation left.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
The two Dictator's posts talk by themselves, I really don't think there's much interpretation left.
You are giving an interpretion of them that is not present in the original posts. We don't have a technical breakdown of how this technology works and until we do we can't be more sure of the situation than what Epic have told us! :)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This whole "Engineer in China" controversy is bananas. Why would he have been talking about the laptop's 40fps performance when playing a video of the demo?

Guys we know the engine is designed to scale across multiple hardware. We dont know whether or not the demo is IO bound. assuming that this demo would require Sony's IO solution just because of the partnership with Sony is premature.

Personally, I feel like there would have been more specific mentions of texture streaming if we were supposed to takeaway how IO intensive this demonstration would be. Instead they focused on geometry and lighting.

Wait ........ did some people in here really believe this demo is only possible on Ps5?

um are you guys kidding me? 😒

Of course they did. And many still do. Basically an unavoidable consequence of debuting a multiplatform game engine, but only mentioning it running on a closed platform in the video.

Most people won't know any better. Which makes for some awesome marketing for Sony but makes it confusing for people generally interested in UE and specifications.

If this was an XSX demo, this scenario would play out identically. People would say this was only possible at this fidelity on the XSX, and if Sweeney skirted around questions about PS5 performance, they'd say he was acting weird.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Interesting comparison from another thread:

Yes, but the most important thing will be to see the difference between a 2.4 GB / s vs 5.5 GB / s SSD in game.

Because on PC an 860 Evo SSD (550Mb / s) and a 970 EVO Nvme (3.5GB / s) the difference is very minimal while the NVME is 6x faster theoretically.

I'm sure the biggest difference will be on installing a game on the disc, downloads to PS5 will be faster.

Currently the difference between SSD and even 6x faster SSD is barely unnoticeable (with current-gen games maxed out on PC).
For both the difference is IMMENSE compared to past HDD instead.

Obviously things may change with future next-gen game engines like UE5, but this is just to have nice actual comparison done with what we have today.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a point when you know system wars is at a weird place when people choose to use a tech journalist word for it than the engine developer themselves.

What an incredibly biased take.