• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Thanks god for this video, i believed Sweeny and was going to throw away my 3.4ghz nvme SSD...also i think that after all these console, just like gaming laptops, have down clocked PC components to keep heat and watts low inside those small cases, and not some magical components which manage to outperform a desktop RTX 2080 Super OC with 3 fans

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well that doesn't sound promising about epic China stream translations

Last edited:

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks god for this video, i believed Sweeny and was going to throw away my 3.4ghz nvme SSD...also i think that after all these console, just like gaming laptops, have down clocked PC components to keep heat and watts low inside those small cases, and not some magical components which manage to outperform a desktop RTX 2080 Super OC with 3 fans
If you want it to play UE5 videos dont throw it.
/joking

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So... what's going on here exactly?
flame-war.gif

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Engineer talks about a topic he was not supposed to. Hopefully he doesnt lose his job or similar over a stupid marketing deal.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Engineer talks about a topic he was not supposed to. Hopefully he doesnt lose his job or similar over a stupid marketing deal.
So much assumption in your post but sure.

It could very well be that the translations were tampered with to push certain agenda.

Anyways the engine is one year away from release . Next year it could easily be benchmarked .

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Tales from your agenda.

twitter.com

Tim Sweeney on Twitter

“@AlthairKaba @Christiano92 @6h4n3m @FALS3GODS @ogbrunette @XcloudTimdog There's not some secret deal. 100% of the stuff we've been working on with Sony over the past months is now publicly announced: The UE5 demo on PlayStation 5, Nanite, Lumen, and Epic Online Services for cross-platform play...

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim nicely dodged that question. The chinese video clearly stated that the epic team had the demo running on the laptop. It doesn't mean that they were referring to the video running on the laptop, they were just talking about the demo while watching the video. They likely had the demo running on the laptop in their labs, and not on a stream here.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So much assumption in your post but sure.

It could very well be that the translations were tampered with to push certain agenda.

Anyways the engine is one year away from release . Next year it could easily be benchmarked .
So you accuse a resetera member from this thread to push an agenda? What is happening here honestly?
Edit: what does it change if they only played a video? Tim does not argue at all what the engineer said, he only points to the video file. Which is fine, we also only got a video from Epic and have to believe this all was real. Mind, I have no doubt that it's real, have no doubt about that. But at the same time, why would the Chinese engineer lie?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do you realize that this doesn't refute what the engineer said in any fucking way whatsoever?

The video might be showing the PS5 version but he was obviously talking about the general capabilities.
Ceo of epic knows who has access to ps5 ue5 demo and who doesn't and it seems epic china doesn't have native access to that demo. I rather take ceo of the company word for it tham mistranslated stream. But thats just me .sorry . Lets move on

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So let me get this straight...

This thread was created to prove that XSX could run the demo the same as PS5 because the OP thought the demo had since been run on a laptop with a much slower SSD, but it turns out that laptop was just playing a video?

LMAO

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So you accuse a resetera member from this thread to push an agenda? What is happening here honestly?
Sorry What ? I m pushing which agenda ? I m saying we saw different translations each pushing certain agenda . Again we need to wait and see once the engine is out how it scales.

And i m not the one insulting anyone unlike the other user

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Well that doesn't sound promising about epic China stream translations

None of that is incompatible with that stream.
It was a Q&A. People are reporting words from that engineer during the Q&A. I dont see where it was specified that "during that event the demo was running natively on the laptop" when the point is what actually said engineer was saying.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018

This thread was created to prove that XSX could run the demo the same as PS5 because the OP thought the demo had since been run on a laptop with a much slower SSD, but it turns out that laptop was just playing a video?

LMAO
No, the video is played on the stream may indeed from PS5 since they never said it wasn't, but the epic China engineer confirmed the demo is able to hit 40+ FPS on a 2080 laptop with SSD in the Q&A session.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Ceo of epic knows who has access to ps5 ue5 demo and who doesn't and it seems epic china doesn't have native access to that demo. I rather take ceo of the company word for it tham mistranslated stream. But thats just me .sorry . Lets move on

First off, why are you accusing the translator of pushing an agenda? Second, Tim didn't answer the question but you don't strike me as a native speaker so yeah, I'll stop trying to argue with you now because it won't lead anywhere.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

LMAO

Not at all.
People aren't reporting "demo was seen running at this even at 1440p/40fps with that SSD". People are reporting "Epic China engineer during a Q&A session said the demo run like this on his laptop with the following specs".
The laptop seen at the event and whatever it was displaying is irrelevant. It's not what's being reported.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry What ? I m pushing which agenda ? I m saying we saw different translations each pushing certain agenda . Again we need to wait and see once the engine is out how it scales.

And i m not the one insulting anyone unlike the other user
No, not you. But we had a member here yesterday who did a translation, Mandarin is his native language iirc.
Edit: it's tutomos
www.resetera.com

Tim Sweeney on UE5: "The Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both."

No. Mandarin is my first language and the guy in the video said next-gen consoles can only do 30fps so far.
Go and look what he translated and what of that Tim is claiming to be false.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There's more layers to this than an actual drama lol.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
None of that is incompatible with that stream.
It was a Q&A. People are reporting words from that engineer during the Q&A. I dont see where it was specified that "during that event the demo was running natively on the laptop" when the point is what actually said engineer was saying.
No, not you. But we had a member here yesterday who did a translation, Mandarin is his native language iirc.
And now we have the own UE creator speaking about the subject.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't believe anything Tim Sweeney says out of principle he's talking shit for decades now. As far i understand it they never claimed they showed the demo running on a laptop. The Epic engineer was simply ASKED how it ran on a PC and he answered. Tim is very clearly covering his ass here again.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Not at all.
People aren't reporting "demo was seen running at this even at 1440p/40fps with that SSD". People are reporting "Epic China engineer during a Q&A session said the demo run like this on his laptop with the following specs".
The laptop seen at the event and whatever it was displaying is irrelevant. It's not what's being reported.

True, nothing Sweeney said invalidates this statement. I don't particularly care about how this ends up, but him pointing out they used a video recording during the presentation does not dismiss this statement by the engineer.

I don't believe anything Tim Sweeney says out of principle he's talking shit for decades now.
Also this, take anything Sweeney says with a grain of salt.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And now we have the own UE creator speaking about the subject.

And what he's saying is that:
"i dont understand what they're saying".
"On that stream they're playing a video".

Which is irrelevant to the point being talked.
Now unless the translation is wrong, which is another matter, this isn't what's being discussed.

People are discussing what an Engineer said in a foreign language. People and Tim Sweeney are discussing what's being shown on the stream, which is the laptop playing a video.

Basically this situation:
"During a QA session a laptop is playing the video demo. The engineer is asked about the demo and specs required to run (from what I get from people translating it) and says on his laptop, it plays at X fidelity with X hardware."

People are now commenting "THE LAPTOP WAS PLAYING A VIDEO !"
Yeah... The point never was that laptop in question was playing the demo in real time. The laptop on stream is irrelevant here. The relevant point is what the engineer might have said.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And what he's saying is that:
"i dont understand what they're saying".
"On that stream they're playing a video".

Which is irrelevant to the point being talked.
Now unless the translation is wrong, which is another matter, this isn't what's being discussed.

People are discussing what an Engineer said in a foreign language. People and Tim Sweeney are discussing what's being shown on the stream, which is the laptop playing a video.

Basically this situation:
"During a QA session a laptop is playing the video demo. The engineer is asked about the demo and specs required to run (from what I get from people translating it) and says on his laptop, it plays at X fidelity with X hardware."

People are now commenting "THE LAPTOP WAS PLAYING A VIDEO !"
Yeah... The point never was that laptop in question was playing the demo in real time. The laptop on stream is irrelevant here. The relevant point is what the engineer might have said.
Just look at the posts from tutomos from yesterday. The only thing new to us is Tim doesn't know Mandarin (not that surprising) and they played a video file which makes sense because "Since what they're doing is kinda like a Q&A for existing Unreal engine users, they just watch the UE5 presentation and answer questions as they go."

www.resetera.com

Tim Sweeney on UE5: "The Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both."

Since what they're doing is kinda like a Q&A for existing Unreal engine users, they just watch the UE5 presentation and answer questions as they go. Running on laptop part was said about the lumen introduction at the beginning of the video. So saying it "only" runs in the cave area is not...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's simply a case of crossed wires over running a mp4 of the demo vs talking about how the tech runs on a laptop. In the technical detail, nothing Sweeney or this Q+A reportedly revealed contradict each other. What that Q+A just more explicitly confirms is that Nanite can dynamically scale triangle fidelity according to your data access. 1080p/2tris per pixel should indeed be in the realm of MB/s rather than GB/s. Sweeney already said this will scale down, it just won't look as good. In saying 'this needs MB/s, not GB/s', I don't think this engineer is at all claiming you'll get the same fidelity on MB/s. Simply that the tech can scale it down to that level.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Not at all.

Ah okay thanks for the clarification.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

LMAO

No, that's not it.

edit: beaten

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

Tim Sweeney on Twitter

“@6h4n3m @FALS3GODS @ogbrunette @XcloudTimdog Not sure exactly what was said. The translated quote on 40 fps isn't a comparison between hardware capabilities. To hit a 100% solid 30 fps with vsync in the demo, per-frame times vary from 30 fps up to much higher.”

So the demo run between 30 and much higher frame rate. I supposse thats why they are confident to get 60fps. Surely the bottleneck is Lumen and thats why they are exploring throwing some RT in there. Final devkits will also help.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think that's simply a case of crossed wires over running a mp4 of the demo vs talking about how the tech runs on a laptop. In the technical detail, nothing Sweeney or this Q+A reportedly revealed contradict each other. What that Q+A just more explicitly confirms is that Nanite can dynamically scale triangle fidelity according to your data access. 1080p/2tris per pixel should indeed be in the realm of MB/s rather than GB/s. Sweeney already said this will scale down, it just won't look as good. In saying 'this needs MB/s, not GB/s', I don't think this engineer is at all claiming you'll get the same fidelity on MB/s. Simply that the tech can scale it down to that level.

You are most likely correct.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This makes the most sense.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Your 1080p/2tri vs 1440p/1tri thing doesn't add up for me. 1080p vs 1440p is only like 1.7X in pixels. If 1440p require 9GBps, 1080p wouldn't reduces that down to less than 1GBps unless I'm missing something. Also I'd think texture would account for more data than geometry.