• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it feels like ...

EmQNu_oVkAEz8RU.jpg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Free Fortnite from the jail that we knowingly and intentionally put Fortnite in. You know, as a marketing stunt that we concocted when we thought the inevitable court case would go our way 100%.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
He should stop to embarrassing himself and just wait for it to go through the court systems at this point.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Bruh just shut the fuck up. You expect me to feel bad for you when fortnite is making billions upon billions and yet your greedy ass wants more?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Additional context:

Do we have any proof Epic agreed to abide by all rules? Because this wouldn't be the first time he's fibbed in service of his own agenda.

<snip>
Other Era person said:
His email said he'll abide by the rules as long as Apple doesn't impose "onerous terms or impediments to a good user experience." Which is a condition completely open to interpretation. If Apple had agreed, I'm sure he'll be able to concoct something as an excuse not meeting those conditions in his eyes.
Ah, thanks. So, this is almost certainly Sweeney being his usual disingenuous self, then. Colour me surprised.

Sweeney gonna Sweeney.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
The gaming media applauding this guy for 'sticking up for the small guy' narrative really irritates me in ways I haven't been in some years. And now playing the victim here

Nothing new.

Gaming "Journalism" will always carry water for whoever is buying the most ad space on their site.

And people wonder why high quality journalism is Paywalled.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I wonder how many tweets of his will be used as evidence by Apple in the appeal.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, I don't mind him fighting it. I'd love to see the cut lowered. It's barbaric in 2021. It feels like an impossible task, but if they have the cash to burn on attempting it, more power to him.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, there's really no reason not to support Epic Games. It thought Apple was doing something illegal. It took Apple to court over it. It mostly lost. It complied with the court's demands. Now, Apple has refused to do what it said in court that it would do, which is reinstate Epic's developer account and get Fortnite back on the App Store once Epic was following the rules. It's really that simple now.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Why does he have to be a big baby? So unprofessional and childish.

He's unprofessional with everything - its part of the reason why I don't trust him to lead the way forward with the market. I'm sure the team that work at Epic are excellent at what they do. But the leadership? Oh boy.

Now, Apple has refused to do what it said in court that it would do, which is reinstate Epic's developer account.

Epic are appealing the court case. Why would they honor it if Epic themselves are challenging the results?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
At this point, there' really no reason not to support Epic Games. It thought Apple was doing something illegal. It took Apple to court over it. It mostly lost. It complied with the court's demands. Apple has refused to do what it said in court that it would do, which is reinstate Epic's developer account and get Fortnite back on the App Store. It's really that simple now.

Also, a fun fact pointed out in the recent thread is that the judge offered to create a new AppStore account that'd functionally act as escrow while the lawsuit is ongoing.

Apple agreed. Epic didn't.

Edit: I misread your post, but, yeah, the "fun fact" remains.

Last edited:

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, there's really no reason not to support Epic Games. It thought Apple was doing something illegal. It took Apple to court over it. It mostly lost. It complied with the court's demands. Now, Apple has refused to do what it said in court that it would do, which is reinstate Epic's developer account and get Fortnite back on the App Store once Epic was following the rules. It's really that simple now.

Sure Jan.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Timmy continues being a fucking clown.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, there' really no reason not to support Epic Games. It thought Apple was doing something illegal. It took Apple to court over it. It mostly lost. It complied with the court's demands. Now, Apple has refused to do what it said in court that it would do, which is reinstate Epic's developer account and get Fortnite back on the App Store once Epic was following the rules. It's really that simple now.

Reading their email they didn't just said that they will abide by rules, they said that they will abide by the rules as long as Apple doesn't impose "onerous terms or impediments to a good user experience." That is too broad and too arbitrary term for Apple to accept. So they are waiting until case is closed. And Court said that Apple can do whatever they want because Epic broke the rules.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He's unprofessional with everything - its part of the reason why I don't trust him to lead the way forward with the market. I'm sure the team that work at Epic are excellent at what they do. But the leadership? Oh boy.

Epic are appealing the court case. Why would they honor it if Epic themselves are challenging the results?
Because despite the appeal, Epic is entirely in compliance with the court's decision. And that was what Apple told the court Epic needed to do to reinstate its account.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also it was interesting that they believed Fortnite was big enough and import enough to use that game to try and get epic's agenda through with it's own store and not wanting to give Apple any money

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Still curious as to why they agreed to Apple's terms in the first place if they're so objectionable.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
*Disclaimer: Myself and others are not supporting Apple by saying the following:

lol get fucked Tim

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is an incredibly generous read on the proceedings that tilts things way too far in Epic's favor.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reading their email they didn't just said that they will abide by rules, they said that they will abide by the rules as long as Apple doesn't impose "onerous terms or impediments to a good user experience." That is too broad and too arbitrary term for Apple to accept. So they are waiting until case is closed. And Court said that Apple can do whatever they want because Epic broke the rules.
Hey, no argument that Epic + Tim don't come off as totally unlikeable in the process. But saying "We've complied with everything that was asked of us by the court, but you have to do that too," doesn't seem particularly unfair even if it's written in an embarrassing way.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, no argument that Epic + Tim don't come off as totally unlikeable in the process. But saying "We've complied with everything that was asked of us by the court, but you have to do that too," doesn't seem particularly unfair even if it's written in an embarrassing way.
Apple isn't doing anything that was prohibited by the courts.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

But court decided that Apple is allowed to block Epic. Apple was willing to put Fortnite back if Epic removed their payment method, they didn't do it and sued Apple. Now they are appealing decisions. So apple thinks that it is best thing to do is to wait until case is closed. Epic proved that they can't be trusted.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Because despite the appeal, Epic is entirely in compliance with the court's decision. And that was what Apple told the court Epic needed to do to reinstate its account.

And Apple are in compliance with the court's decision as well - the judge informed them they were free to take action as they please concerning Epic's account.
It's well within their rights. And given the appeal, any lawyer worth a damn would advise as such.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Epic's e-mail clarifies that it'd require Apple conceding in areas that are "onerous terms or impediments to a good user experience". So, Epic agreed to abide by the rules, except the rules it doesn't like.

In other words, Sweeney is again being disingenuous. Technically, Epic did agree to abide by all rules -- but with caveats.

Last edited: