• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a typical Sweeney tweet and the implication is clear. He's intentionally conflating recent Steam improvements and Half-Life: Alyx with EGS existing to try and justify his store's place in a market he's buying his way into and trying to monopolise.

This "multi-store future" stuff he's spewing is a steaming pile of crap. In another related tweet he even has to do mental gymnastics to pretend GOG didn't exist until 2.0 to justify his bullshit.

PC gaming has only gotten worse since Epic inserted itself into it.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
User warned: thread whining and backseat moderation
Tired of these kind of threads, people grasping at nothing. I don't like Sweeney, but that's not what he's saying. Lock it, remove this.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't know about some of y'all claiming that's not what he's saying. Here's more context to that tweet, which is a reply to a long thread:

It's pretty clear in context that when Sweeny says "NOW Valve has Alyx and lots of new Steam features" he's attributing that to his thesis, "Now there's Epic, Microsoft Game Pass, GOG Galaxy 2.0, and lots of big publishers breaking with past distribution norms" versus "the market a year ago".

So yeah, he basically is claiming Valve was prompted to make Half Life: Alyx in under a year thanks to new competition from Epic, GoG 2.0, and Game Pass

No you have it all wrong. It's bitch eating crackers.jpeg.

I'll simplify it. Tim Sweeney and EGS good. Steam fanboys and hate boners bad. Context is irrelevant! 🙄

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the title's assumption is kinda just giving Epic free advertising.
He didn't really imply it... Could just ignore his comment.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tim praising innovation, when the only innovation EGS brought to the pc gaming sphere is buying games a couple of months before they would release anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no fan of EGS nor do I ever plan to buy any games from them. (I don't play a lot of PC games these days and I'm fine limiting myself to Steam).

However, I don't see how he is implying what the OP says he is.

He's simply saying that competition is good these days for PC.

He's not really saying anything we don't know, but haters going to hate.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
He's making a point about competition. There's currently more competition in the PC gaming market than the past few years. The PC gaming market is offering more value to customers than it has in the past few years.

That's about it. You don't need to overanalyze.
The only new competition in the last year is... Epic with a subpar experience.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about some of y'all claiming that's not what he's saying. Here's more context to that tweet, which is a reply to a long thread:

It's pretty clear in context that when Sweeny says "NOW Valve has Alyx and lots of new Steam features" he's attributing that to his thesis, "Now there's Epic, Microsoft Game Pass, GOG Galaxy 2.0, and lots of big publishers breaking with past distribution norms" versus "the market a year ago".

So yeah, he basically is claiming Valve was prompted to make Half Life: Alyx in under a year thanks to new competition from Epic, GoG 2.0, and Game Pass
Now Valve has Alyx and new features because both are literally things that happened now. Agree or not, he's pointing out that competition and innovation are good things because they bring good things. Valve are doing both. It doesn't escape to no one that a big reason why Alyx exists is to make Index and VR in general more viable and increase the number of users with headsets.

I don't feel any particular way about the guy, but the takes here are ridiculous. It is indeed idiotic to suggest he's responsible for both Alyx and the new Steam client, but get what, he never did that.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
You must have never seen him tweet before if you don't think he's taking (some) credit for it.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Due to the thread title change, are we now trying to imply that Tim Sweeny thinks game dev takes less than a year for something like HL Alyx?

Wotkar

Oct 27, 2017
timmy tencent tweets in bad faith again. has full support of people that don't post in pc threads again.

Oct 27, 2017
38pkkw.png
This.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I like how people complained about context, so Morrigan provides some and everyone ignores it or says they're wrong

Oct 25, 2017
All of you saying "he's not saying that":

Can you explain what "competition" has to do with Half Life Alyx? Anything at all?

Comparing Gamepass to weekly free games to various storefront features... ok, fair. But why bring up Half-Life as part of the "competition" statement, if not to imply that storefront competition contributed to it?

(Not to mention Tim Sweeney's long, long history of idiotic bad faith tweets, but I'll forgive people who might not be familiar with his style here.)
no no no apparently considering some of a person past statements when they something sketch is bad and wrong (somehow)

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
just giving Epic free advertising.
This board in a nutshell. I could go the rest of my life without hearing about Tim and the EGS ever again. You guys hate them with a passion. We get it. So why the constant threads to shit on each and every single one of his tweets. I don't get the obsessive following of his social media, but get this, you are the only ones that care.

Like, seriously, as long as he isn't literally responsible for anything happening to my Steam account, I don't give two shits about what he tweeted over breakfast.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of you saying "he's not saying that":

Can you explain what "competition" has to do with Half Life Alyx? Anything at all?

Comparing Gamepass to weekly free games to various storefront features... ok, fair. But why bring up Half-Life as part of the "competition" statement, if not to imply that storefront competition contributed to it?

(Not to mention Tim Sweeney's long, long history of idiotic bad faith tweets, but I'll forgive people who might not be familiar with his style here.)
uh, because it's the first game they've made that anyone gives a shit about in a decade?

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Funny how no one actually refuted her argument and just said 'no it isn't' ?

Like that is an actual argument?
Using a prior behaviors and actions to create a new context and assume current behavior is arguing based on subjectivity. I know it's difficult to perceive things without being slanted by emotions since we are human, but at the very least it should be attempted.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
He's making a point about competition. There's currently more competition in the PC gaming market than the past few years. The PC gaming market is offering more value to customers than it has in the past few years.

That's about it. You don't need to overanalyze.

You're right, there was never competition before EGS arrived or even a chunk of time before that store popped up. No Origin, no GOG, no itchi.io, no Humble, no Windows 10 store, no Uplay, no Battle.net. Nothing.

The only difference you're seeing now before then is because other companies are pulling their games off other stores for their own launchers, offering better deals like subscription based tiers or making exclusivity deals. Now whether it's helping the PC gaming landscape is still too early to tell.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
... Yes, yes, I *LOVE* the idea of timed exclusives for game stores on the PC platform. It's absolutely wonderful to wait 6 months to play a game because I don't want your particular launcher. Indeed. Nobody ever complained about timed exclusives -- they're only a good thing.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Now Valve has Alyx and new features because both are literally things that happened now. Agree or not, he's pointing out that competition and innovation are good things because they bring good things.

We agree on what he's pointing out.

"Now Alyx exists" is a factually correct statement. "Competition and innovation are good" are absolutely the thrust of his arguments.

What I think people are reacting to is the way he's tying those two things together in the larger narrative of "competition now versus a year ago", a time period clearly chosen based on EGS' entry into the market.

Yes, it's factually correct to say "Alyx is announced now" when it wasn't before, but in the larger context of the argument he's making it looks like nothing more than an amateurish post hoc ergo prompter hoc fallacy: afterwards, therefore because of.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
timmy tencent tweets in bad faith again. has full support of people that don't post in pc threads again.

Oh no, not Tencent!

This board in a nutshell. I could go the rest of my life without hearing about Tim and the EGS ever again. You guys hate them with a passion. We get it. So why the constant threads to shit on each and every single one of his tweets. I don't get the obsessive following of his social media, but get this, you are the only ones that care.

Like, seriously, as long as he isn't literally responsible for anything happening to my Steam account, I don't give two shits about what he tweeted over breakfast.

yeah, like, if he really sucks and his store is garbage, why is this board so obsesive about what he says?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now if only instead of buying already made games, Epic decided to develop their own. Now that would be healthy competition.
The punchline: they have. Epic Games has recently released Battle Breakers, which looks like an extremely generic mobile game. The only time I've seen anybody talk about it is in YouTube sponsor spots.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you believe that they rushed to make the game in less than a year cause of EGS?

Please tell me I understood wrong.
obviously not, but it's certainly a large exclusive that makes the platform enticing to use to a number of people, thus warranting mentioning it when listing various advantages each platform has

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
And?

Dude's entire talking point has been "Competition will improve everyone.".

There is competition.

Everyone is improving.

Why wouldn't he post about that?
His whole point is that he is bringing the "multistore new world" to "fight against the Valve monopoly". He is clearly implying on the conversation that it is thanks to him bringing EGS.
His whole spiel is just annoying trying to parrot that he is the saviour of pc gaming waking up Valve, when nothing like that has happened.

As I said in another point, the market is evolving as it was before EGS, with the same pace. Valve creates new innovative functions with GoG a far second trying to also doing something unique.

Sep 15, 2019
Isn't the Epic Store still missing features and so forth which one would expect from a digital storefront in 2019 nearly 2020?

Also don't know how something that has been in development for years now somehow gets credited to a jank service which only recently hit the scene and biggest claim to fame is paying for timed exclusives as well as being from the company which does Fortnite and nothing else.

In fact Epic has killed numerous projects in favor of more Fortnite.

Valve > Epic every single day of the week from here until the end of the time.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I love how people claim era hates epic, yet I see more defenders on this site for them than anywhere else online.

Status
Not open for further replies.