• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'm not a big Sweeney fan but after reading through the thread I think that you're grasping at straws OP.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
You're doing him a favor everytime you make a thread with his tweets. Just saying, this isn't productive and your energy is better spent ignoring him and focusing on something that gives back to you.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Considering Tim Sweeney's less-than-sterling reputation, I'm surprised many people are choosing to intentionally not read between the lines of what he is saying.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
All of you saying "he's not saying that":

Can you explain what "competition" has to do with Half Life Alyx? Anything at all?

Comparing Gamepass to weekly free games to various storefront features... ok, fair. But why bring up Half-Life as part of the "competition" statement, if not to imply that storefront competition contributed to it?

(Not to mention Tim Sweeney's long, long history of idiotic bad faith tweets, but I'll forgive people who might not be familiar with his style here.)

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
This thread shouldn't be . Its a downright pathetic case of " bitch eating bitcoins " .

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What else does it mean when he is talking about multistore function and competition and then saying "NOW Valve has HL:A and new features"?

Maybe read the whole Twitter thread then?
He is talking about the multistore future, he is talking how MS has gamepass now, Epic has their store and "NOW Steam has new features". How else would you read that?
He's highlighting how the market has shifted due to innovation. He's not taking credit for it. Lower your pitchfork.

Feb 10, 2018
What else does it mean when he is talking about multistore function and competition and then saying "NOW Valve has HL:A and new features"?

Maybe read the whole Twitter thread then?
He is talking about the multistore future, he is talking how MS has gamepass now, Epic has their store and "NOW Steam has new features". How else would you read that?
Maybe just take the words with there definition, he says competition is good but does not say valve are doing these things directly because of epic games store.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
38pkkw.png

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
This is the same man who thinks he's responsible for the "multi-store future", because GOG, Origin and a dozen other storefronts only came into being after EGS opened shop.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019

Can you explain what "competition" has to do with Half Life Alyx? Anything at all?

Comparing Gamepass to weekly free games to various storefront features... ok, fair. But why bring up Half-Life as part of the "competition" statement, if not to imply that storefront competition contributed to it?

(Not to mention Tim Sweeney's long, long history of idiotic bad faith tweets, but I'll forgive people who might not be familiar with his style here.)
Nah, it's just a hatejerk or something like that

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

Huh ... context matters. I'll write that down.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone saying, "Oh but that's not what he's implying or saying", then what was the whole point of saying the second half of that tweet?? Why can't he just say "Congratulations to Valve for premiering Half-Life: Alyx onto the world, we can wait to play this game!" like any other player or dev even mildly curious about the game would say?

Tim does this vagueness where it comes back to hinting that because of multiple stores is why PC gaming is thriving when we already had multiple stores to begin with and PC gaming was and is still thriving. He does this with most of his tweets just to create controversy.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Without context it would be OK, problem is that Tim takes to parrot him bringing this new "multistore world that brings innovation" every single time some good news from their competition happens, trying to paint himself as the one that brought it. Meanwhile, Valve/GoG just upgrade at the usual rate.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know about some of y'all claiming that's not what he's saying. Here's more context to that tweet, which is a reply to a long thread:

Sweeny: The market a year ago could be summarized as Steam, big publishers who took their ball and went home, and upstarts who hadn't gained traction. Now there's Epic, Microsoft Game Pass, GOG Galaxy 2.0, and lots of big publishers breaking with past distribution norms.

Someone else: all those other stores would have come to the point they are right now without EGS existing, you're still the one that takes games away from other stores while spouting a "multi-store future" and people go to the places that give them the best deals...

Someone else: so of course Gamepass is booming right now, you can play nearly 200 good quality+ games for 1 dollar for your first month or so, and like only 5 after that. it has nothing you do with you or your store, but rather the heads at Microsoft who are innovating...

Sweeny: Microsoft's Gamepass is a great business model innovation, offering a large bundle of games accessible for a very reasonable subscription price. Epic's free game per week is another new take, offering permanent ownership of games if you redeem while they're available.

Sweeny:Now Valve has Half Life: Alyx and a lots of new Steam features. In my view, this is the best time ever for PC game stores, as there's lots of competition and innovation all around, and competition is making every store better.

It's pretty clear in context that when Sweeny says "NOW Valve has Alyx and lots of new Steam features" he's attributing that to his thesis, "Now there's Epic, Microsoft Game Pass, GOG Galaxy 2.0, and lots of big publishers breaking with past distribution norms" versus "the market a year ago".

So yeah, he basically is claiming Valve was prompted to make Half Life: Alyx in under a year thanks to new competition from Epic, GoG 2.0, and Game Pass

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
For everyone saying, "Oh but that's not what he's implying or saying", then what was the whole point of saying the second half of that tweet?? Why can't he just say "Congratulations to Valve for premiering Half-Life: Alyx onto the world, we can wait to play this game!" like any other player or dev even mildly curious about the game would say?

Tim does this vagueness where it comes back to hinting that because of multiple stores is why PC gaming is thriving when we already had multiple stores to begin with and PC gaming was and is still thriving. He does this with most of his tweets just to create controversy.
He's making a point about competition. There's currently more competition in the PC gaming market than the past few years. The PC gaming market is offering more value to customers than it has in the past few years.

That's about it. You don't need to overanalyze.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about some of y'all claiming that's not what he's saying. Here's more context to that tweet, which is a reply to a long thread:

It's pretty clear in context that when Sweeny says "NOW Valve has Alyx and lots of new Steam features" he's attributing that to his thesis, "Now there's Epic, Microsoft Game Pass, GOG Galaxy 2.0, and lots of big publishers breaking with past distribution norms" versus "the market a year ago".

So yeah, he basically is claiming Valve was prompted to make Half Life: Alyx in under a year thanks to new competition from Epic, GoG 2.0, and Game Pass

No, you are just hating on poor Tim. Go away, Steam fanboy!

PS: I don't play games on PC, I'm just concerned about the Valve monopoly.

/S

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I literally cannot see anything malicious about what he said. Like, this is rather baffling.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017

Half-Life Alyx has everything to do with competition because Valve is trying to push SteamVR against Oculus.

But it's not even about that. Those are two separate statements, he doesn't imply causality and Half-Life Alyx is still added value for the Steam platform as a whole.

It's not that hard to understand what he's saying unless you are out for blood.

I guess bait titles are allowed now.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
He's making a point about competition. There's currently more competition in the PC gaming market than the past few years. The PC gaming market is offering more value to customers than it has in the past few years.

That's about it. You don't need to overanalyze.

yeah, of course he isn't trying to reference his own product, he is just making an innocuous statement with no context.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney talks so much shit all the time

bloke is a wanker

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop creating threads abouts single tweets for fuck's sake, morons are fishing for attention and you're giving them it.

Him, Randy, it's the same shit over and over again. Stop giving them oxygen.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017

I agree. If we look at Tim Sweeney's tweet history, it's painfully obvious what he's implying. This is where context really matters.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I think he's more just saying that every store has stuff going for itself, he's not necessarily saying that those things are there because of competition.

Tim Sweeney sucks but feels like this thread is trying way too hard to talk shit about him.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
How dare OP think that a concluding sentence has any link with what is previously said.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Gtfo lol, steam has changes and done nothing that wasnt already in dev or annoucened already. This guy loves tooting his own horn.

The only thing EPIC should get credit for is making it good PR to get back on steam. Otherwise EA and Microsoft might not have shown such quick support following the shit storm that is epic exclusives.

Epic has literally turned me more away from pc gaming because i hate not having games in one place so i end up waiting to buy games even longer now which means i end up buying it for the ps4 or xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.