• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody knows how long the Fortnite revenue stream will last and that's why they are trying to brute-force invest their current profits to create another source of income in the form of the EGS. If the Fortnite revenue dries up then they can't buy that many exclusives anymore, causing them to having an even harder time etablishing the EGS as a valuable store, and that's the reason why everything seems so rushed and / or in hurry: because they actually are in a hurry.

Yep. They just had half a dozen firm invest over a billion into them as well. They want to be a top dog in distribution, but very quickly. To use Sweeney's own words, they are employing "disruptive" tactics. No doubt thousands of jobs and countless millions of dollars hinge on Epic and their partners doing well. So far, the thing has definitely been slap dash, but all their major movements make sense.

They want to secure the content first and foremost, but the store can lack features until then. The content is what is getting them customers, not the client itself. An excellent client would be appreciated, but without content, the market won't move towards their ecosystem quickly enough.

zyxwvu4321

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be buying all these EGS exclusive games day one. On Steam. Even if I don't ever intend to play them.

Oct 28, 2017
Legit question, no trolling, derailling, trying to offend you or whatever: so in order for me to have a talk about something, or in this case a statement, i first have to search ERA and "educate" myself by reading every thread with "EGS" in it?

I mean to me at least this man/woman didn't insult anyone and tried to reason his answers. I'm a console player too (i assume he/she is) and this obviously big discussion about steam/EGS blew by me (not that Epic is fucking up big time, but why does it matter technically). Why can't you guys, who are better informed, not just have said: check out thread xyz and then come back please, or, as some did, explain why it matters (no linux support f.e.). That would have been totally fine. Instead it's mocking a person, who propably is using ERA not as extensive as others / you yourself do with "here we go again". Thats not helping.
You can use the site in whatever way you choose. I have no say in it. That said, I'd understand your complaint if this was the first time around the block with the topic. The question has been asked and answered umpteen times very recently and it mucks up every thread that it is brought up in (and then it becomes about the just another launcher argument). The EGS topic has had a bunch of threads and in many of them people haven't addressed the topic in good faith, and it doesn't look like that poster was arguing in good faith to me or to the mods. Had I thought he was, I would have linked to the original Shenmue 3 epic games thread were it was explained completely in several posts eloquently and thoroughly.

Last edited:

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
That's just telling me to be prepared to see other Kickstarter funded games being snatch and that the refunds will be available on time the next time he does it. On the key part, there is actually no guarantee as will always be depended on the other storefront. In other words, don't crowdfund games that Epic may show interest in the future, but as we don't know we kind of games they would not want, is safer if we just stop crowdfunding games in general while Epic is on war with Steam.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the day when Kickstarter games were taking off it was being seen as a way for devs to bypass publishers and get games the people truly wanted to finally happen without corporate meddling. More and more it's become an interest free loan for developers to make a prototype and gain an audience they can sell back to a publisher. It's absurd.

I was just thinking this. No more backing for me though. Thats for sure.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we as we as gamers held ransom by Sweeney's Vendetta against valve, because that's what this is.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
That's just telling me to be prepared to see other Kickstarter funded games being snatch and that the refunds will be available on time the next time he does it. On the key part, there is actually no guarantee as will always be depended on the other storefront. In other words, don't crowdfund games that Epic may show interest in the future, but as we don't know we kind of games they would not want, is safer if we just stop crowdfunding games in general while Epic is on war with Steam.

Or just wait because it seems like they come to Steam eventually anyway.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that a single man can take something this far with a pos launcher and a lot of money. For gods sake it's still doesn't have a shopping cart

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why do people like monopolies so much? Like, Epic is actually doing something that they should be doing by covering the developer's expenses and refunding money from backers who don't want to install a different launcher to play a game they "waited decades to play".

It feels like the priority is not the success of a hard-working team or the development of a healthy PC gaming market, but just the convenience of not having a new icon on the desktop.

You're full of shit. PC gaming has been a non-walled garden since the early 80s. This asshole is creating problems where there were none.

And if you did care to educate yourself before jumping in to troll in a half-asses style, you'd know it's not about 'another launcher.'

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was before EGS. Now these projects can be made possible by Tim Sweeney. He cares about developers, right?

I'm sure he'll help these young up and comers realize their dreams!

Epic has funded numerous initiatives that benefit independent developers, to help them build and fund their games. And, in fact, they've created a $100 Million fund just this year to give away dev grants. That's on top of the flexible licensing they've long offered for Unreal Engine, earlier grant programs, etc.

They want to secure the content first and foremost, but the store can lack features until then. The content is what is getting them customers, not the client itself. An excellent client would be appreciated, but without content, the market won't move towards their ecosystem quickly enough.

Isn't it interested that on consoles it's the games that matter, but for some reason on PC where you have access to all the games, all anyone wants to yell about is which storefront they need to use?

It's amazing that a single man can take something this far with a pos launcher and a lot of money. For gods sake it's still doesn't have a shopping cart

Amazon doesn't have a cart for Kindle books. The Switch eShop doesn't have a cart. Having a shopping cart is not the litmus test for a viable digital store. It's just one of the minutiae detractors have to cling to after so many of the early complaints were so swiftly addressed. To build it up into evidence of incompetence just makes your argument look petty and weak.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
In one fell swoop, Tim managed to both say that more of this type of bullshit is coming, wherein a game is sold to backers for X platform and bought out for Y platform, while also completely discouraging any future confidence in wanting to support a Kickstarted game.

Why bother when this guy can just come along and buy up the exclusivity after all is said and done.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazon doesn't have a cart for Kindle books. The Switch eShop doesn't have a cart. Having a shopping cart is not the litmus test for a viable digital store. It's just one of the minutiae detractors have to cling to after so many of the early complaints were so swiftly addressed. To build it up into evidence of incompetence just makes your argument look petty and weak.
to be fair the shopping cart has had a tangible negative effect

when people bought several games during the sale they had to do it one at a time and some got their accounts locked because of fraud detection as a result

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Isn't it interested that on consoles it's the games that matter, but for some reason on PC where you have access to all the games, all anyone wants to yell about is which storefront they need to use?

Look if you want to accept a dogshit launcher in 2019 you do you but don't expect others to go along for the ride.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee if there was an Epic Launcher on consoles and Epic was buying exclusives away from PSN or Xbox Live the shit would be hitting the fan there too!

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I guarantee if there was an Epic Launcher on consoles and Epic was buying exclusives away from PSN or Xbox Live the shit would be hitting the fan there too!

Yup. People here were losing their shit when that rumor about FromSoftware getting bought was swirling around. The very same posters who come into these threads feigning ignorance lol.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. People here were losing their shit when that rumor about FromSoftware getting bought was swirling around. The very same posters who come into these threads feigning ignorance lol.

Really? Where is the outcry over FFVII Remake? You can't guarantee anything other than next generation consoles will once again have third party exclusives and to play those third party exclusives you also need to buy the hardware to gain access, aside from Microsoft who will likely continue the ternd of everything on Xbox also comes to the PC.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Yep. They just had half a dozen firm invest over a billion into them as well. They want to be a top dog in distribution, but very quickly. To use Sweeney's own words, they are employing "disruptive" tactics. No doubt thousands of jobs and countless millions of dollars hinge on Epic and their partners doing well. So far, the thing has definitely been slap dash, but all their major movements make sense.

This is all true, but that strategy is also contingent on several other factors:
-The market has to be willing to put up with the shit client to play games on day 1 rather than wait a year for Steam
-The customers they get via these expensive deals have to stick around to buy more games instead of going back to Steam/whatever for games that aren't subsidized or exclusive
-The customers also have to be willing to give EGS $$$ despite the possibility of them hating Lyin' Tim Sweeny's guts

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Some thoughts:
1) This is a textbook example of a corporation creating a problem so that they can market themselves as a solution.
2) This also confirms that Epic has already secured more crowdfunded games (reminder: Iron Harvest is published by Deep Silver), and heavily implies that EGS will be prioritising successful crowdfunded games for its exclusives.
3) As a direct consequence of 2, I do fully expect a very large proportion of PC gamers to cease backing crowdfunded games. Considering the vast majority of crowdfunded games are at the stage whereby they wouldn't be able to guarantee console versions, this does mean that video game crowdfunding is more likely than not completely dead.
I wonder if there's an easy-ish way of searching for successful PC game Kickstarters (as in, stupidly popular ones) that are yet to come out. Then ignore all of them.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to ask something... what if they offer full refunds, but it's in EGS credit?

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
I can just imagine epic charging 20e for online to recoup what they lose on the revenue split, they think the backlash is bad now that'd be something else

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
How long till we get a hero to save us from Sweeney's tyranny
Sometimes, like in real life, the change has to come from each of us, individually. Instead of waiting for the one saviour to magically "rescue" us, may be if enough gamers can stand not buying every game day one, it would send a message to Epic that this isn't going to work.

They're throwing in money betting that they could make it back because gamers are known to be capable of not getting their favourite game on day one, but if they can't make it back, they will stop, obviously, since they aren't making any profit financially or in building customer number.

Besides, what kind of saviour are you expecting? Someone to outbid them to unexclusive these games? Who would do that?

I'm not saying you're a day-oner, but I have little faith in gamers' ability to hold back when their favourite game hits EGS's shelves, and only EGS's shelves, Borderlands 3 is going to be the game to decide whether Epic's exclusive game is the right one, I think?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I just want to ask something... what if they offer full refunds, but it's in EGS credit?

Soon:

i don't understand the problem it's just another launcher currency

I can just imagine epic charging 20e for online to recoup what they lose on the revenue split, they think the backlash is bad now that'd be something else

I was joking but now I'm imagining a nightmare scenario in the future where Epic is having revenue issues and they gate basic platform improvements and online play behind a paywall and cite the costs of developing them as the justification.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The solution isn't sound at all and he can go fuck himself.

Refunds are not an acceptable solution because kickstarter isn't like a fucking preorder.
Whenever i kickstart something, i take an inherent *RISK* that the game might never release or turns out trash, and this risk is then being rewarded by throwing the money back into my face once the game is finished and they shopped it around at Epic like i'm some interest free loan? Fuck that noise.

If he wants to make this a systematical habit than they and the devs should start paying a fucking interest to their backers.

Kickstarter is exactly a pre-order. You are buying a game before it's finished. That is a pre-order.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Kickstarter is exactly a pre-order. You are buying a game before it's finished. That is a pre-order.
No it isn't. I've donated 5 bucks to devs to help them fund their game, but to actually get a future copy you had to pledge 20 bucks. I didn't want to commit fully because I wasn't sure I wanted the game yet.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
So if every single of the 30,909 PC backers ($29/$60 sets) got a refund, it would only cost Epic $1,041,162‬.

Epic Games can definitely shrug that off which is why Tim plans to do more of this in the future I guess.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I would just like to point out that Tim also said Epic would never pull another incident like Metro ever again and then proceeded to buy Shenmue III anyway

His word means nothing. He's a habitual liar.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well, so long Kickstarter then; not that there have been any cool exciting games put up lately.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
This is a pretty classy move by Epic, honestly, if you're of the opinion or understanding that sometimes exclusivity money results in better games.

I don't think it necessarily forgives the devs/pubs that make promises to reward pledges with promises of a certain platform, as it kind of means the money they took from those backers a 0% interest microloan. Recent events certainly don't help former backers have as much confidence in crowdfunding platforms - especially because backers typically are the most loyal and trusting kind of customers (and sincere business talk: it's an extremely bad idea to lose that kind of base if it has even a remote sense of scale).

I'm personally not effected by any of the games that had crowdfunding for Steam turn into EGS exclusives, so I'm really not that personally bothered by it (or EGS in general; it's fine). I do empathize with players that were promised something & then have to go into a refund situation, and I'm super curious if the exclusivity $ now is worth creating more vocal detractors against you.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

Yeah, also, not all games are available on all storefronts. Even GOG had exclusives when they released the classic Star Wars games, if I remember correctly. Apparently the whole "PC is an open platform and everything should be on every storefront" only applies if it's not released on Steam.