• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
So basically this will keep happening in the future frequently enough that they needed to put a preemptive solution in place.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Shenmue 3 and Bloodstained are my last backed KS projects ever unless KS does an official statement on how creators will need to be crystal clear about their platforms of distribution up front.

This or the creators making this very clear from day 1.

It's a damn shame that a noble project platform like KS gets it's reputation tarnished by the money monster that is Epic.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad the money isn't being taken away from Shenmue 3.

But I do see this more of a half measure.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Cool, now kickstarted games are encouraged to go Epic exclusive no matter what, as they don't even have to worry about refunds to angry customers.

It's actually amazing the negative impact the Epic store has had on the PC gaming market in such a short time.
Yup. No way I'll ever crowdfund another game after the Shenmue 3 fiasco.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, this isn't a solution. People back games with the expectation that they'll have a choice of platform, or at least among the ones listed during the campaign.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This makes me even less likely to crowdfund games on PC going forward. Why should I give developers a free loan to create a prototype for Epic to snap up at a later date?
I mean... Tbh that's kickstarters. You're giving people free loans for zeros stake in the project and no ownership.

Adding epic to the mix does make it more likely games won't come out in the promised form, but it's always been the risk with kickstarters that people don't seem to understand.

As for epic. This is probably the best case scenario for what they'd do to'alleviate' negativity towards them for doing this.

Oct 28, 2017
Kickstarter is not a preorder system despite what many people think. A developer can take your money for a game and then fold a year later and you have no recourse.

Everyone should be grateful for a refund no matter where it's coming from, they are under no obligation to provide one.

That would require actual risk assessment, foresight and planning which Timmy has demonstrate none of the entire time the Epic Game Store has been open. Much easier to throw around money to every Kickstarter game and buy customers that way.
Timmy would prefer that the customer take the risk.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people here are so frustrated about clicking a different program in their desktop to run their games, console exclusives are way worse than that and I see no such drama.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I mean... Tbh that's kickstarters. You're giving people free loans for zeros stake in the project and no ownership.

Adding epic to the mix does make it more likely games won't come out in the promised form, but it's always been the risk with kickstarters that people don't seem to understand.

As for epic. This is probably the best case scenario for what they'd do to'alleviate' negativity towards them for doing this.

Most people understand that just fine (although probably not all i agree).
You do have a certain stake tho, and that's essentially the chance of getting a good game at the end of the project.
With the idea of just getting a refund at the end tho, that one stake evaporates as well.

I don't understand why people here are so frustrated about clicking a different program in their desktop to run their games, console exclusives are way worse than that and I see no such drama.

Thankfully you have over a 100 threads on this forum to find out.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I was waiting for this. It's just another launcher.

xBmbOcq.gif

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Epic's going to kill crowd funding. I know I wouldn't give a dime to any game knowing they'll swoop in on whatever's generating buzz.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people like you keep repeating the same old bullshit.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If kickstarter games feel going full epic-store is a no-brainer, it means steam is a worse deal.

You'd go to the cheapest videogame shop in the same street as well.
What a terrible take. Steam is only a worse deal because Timmy is paying millions for game not to be on Steam. Sometimes that backfires like with couple games that will be on MS PC GamePass day 1.

Overall though, what this does is introduce more uncertainty to Kickstarter proposition for backers. Backers already have to deal with large risk of a game not coming out or not being a quality product. Now, you may not even get a platform of choice. So why bother then at that point? A lot of PC gamers who back these games will not want to be locked to EGS, deal with refunds and so on.

So what this whole scenario (and couple previous games) have done is basically poisoned the well for all Kickstarter gaming projects unless they are console only.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Thats one way to poisen poison the well.

Guess i will no longer fund any games on kickstarter, sucks but it is what it is.

Sorry but this should be a instant warning/ban at this point ...

We have hundreds of posts and threads about this "is just another launcher" bullshit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People who paid more than 60$ for the PC physical version were promised that the disc(s) would contain the game - Now it's a CD-R with the EGS launcher on it and a coupon code. So a plastic fresbie in a nice box.

It is something I would be extremely upset about and would ask for a refund immediately, not having chosen the PS4 version. These people have totally valid concerns.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If kickstarter games feel going full epic-store is a no-brainer, it means steam is a worse deal.

You'd go to the cheapest videogame shop in the same street as well.

It may be worse deal to the devs because Steam won't give them a bag of money. Thank god for that.

But Epic has them covered, so no need to back anything.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
What a terrible take. Steam is only a worse deal because Timmy is paying millions for game not to be on Steam. Sometimes that backfires like with couple games that will be on MS PC GamePass day 1.

Overall though, what this does is introduce more uncertainty to Kickstarter proposition for backers. Backers already have to deal with large risk of a game not coming out or not being a quality product. Now, you may not even get a platform of choice. So why bother then at that point? A lot of PC gamers who back these games will not want to be locked to EGS, deal with refunds and so on.

So what this whole scenario (and couple previous games) have done is basically poisoned the well for all Kickstarter gaming projects unless they are console only.
If the Kickstarter is promising a PC game, it doesn't matter what "platform" it's on, you just click it, and play it in your PC, just ignore the "platform". It's quite different from the "no longer releasing in X console" thing

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Back in the day when Kickstarter games were taking off it was being seen as a way for devs to bypass publishers and get games the people truly wanted to finally happen without corporate meddling. More and more it's become an interest free loan for developers to make a prototype and gain an audience they can sell back to a publisher. It's absurd.

It's tragic. Kickstarter felt really exciting, a way to cut out the parasitic publishers, directly fund niche titles in underserved genres and keep some dev teams alive. But that's gone now. As you say, it's an interest free loan to create a title they can sell to a big publisher or sell themselves to a big publisher. It genuinely depresses the shit out of me.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...good on him for this instance, but didn't he say the same thing previously about 'not snatching up games last minute'....and then doing exactly that?

Sure, tim.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Every. Single. Time.
What? It's PC game, not a Steam game. Steam is a shop/platform on pc that happenned to become a monopoly and now people think "pc game = steam game".

The game is the same, be it on steam, gog or Epic Store, and if you have a pc that can run the game, you're free to go.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
If the Kickstarter is promising a PC game, it doesn't matter what "platform" it's on, you just click it, and play it in your PC, just ignore the "platform". It's quite different from the "no longer releasing in X console" thing
I switched launchers but now my dualshock 4 controllers no longer work without downloading and fucking around with yet another tool

Also this UI looks like shit when I want to play from my couch now I gotta get up and fuck around with the mouse and keyboard to launch anything

Oct 25, 2017
What? It's PC game, not a Steam game. Steam is a shop/platform on pc that happenned to become a monopoly and now people think "pc game = steam game".

The game is the same, be it on steam, gog or Epic Store.

It's not a monopoly, no matter how much you want to pretend it is. At this point, you're just hitting all of the greatest hits that have been gone over time and again, so I can just assume you're not arguing in good faith and looking to catch a ban for ignoring the rules set out in virtually every EGS thread for the past 8 months.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Good ole Timmy boy saving PC gaming for the small developer by casting perpetual doubt on pitched Kickstarter campaigns for fulfilling their promises to their backers. Pffft, maybe Valve should cut the vacation time to their Steam employees and put them to work on matching Epic's tactics. Crunch is bad but treating your employees too good is also bad... that's what Kotaku taught me today.

I am sure someone will write an article how Epic is doing the industry a favor by this.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
At this juncture you are either disingenuous or trolling if you keep spewing the "you just click it" bullshit. It's fine to disagree and to you it may not matter but by now anyone in this forums who looks at PC gaming thread should understand that its not just about clicking a stupid installer.

Done with this conversation and muted.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, we're getting trolled by someone who has never cared about PC gaming before today.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a monopoly, no matter how much you want to pretend it is. At this point, you're just hitting all of the greatest hits that have been gone over time and again, so I can just assume you're not arguing in good faith and looking to catch a ban for ignoring the rules set out in virtually every EGS thread for the past 8 months.
I've had this opinion for a long time but haven't discussed it here before, and I'm not trying to be banned or trolling, I just explained my opinion and having 900 users making fun of it shouldn't mean I deserve a ban for it. Everyone is shitting on epic store stuff and I can't have a neutral opinion about it?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Dang, Deepsivler and YSNet got away with Quadruple dipping.
-Playstation Initial Investment
-Crowdfunding Investment
-Epic Investment.
-Epic paying their refunds.

As for crowdfunding big games, it's dead, consumers could not possibly have trust in these types of investments anymore. Too many projects have shown they're very willing to sell out to anyone once the initial crowdfunding has passed, and screw the initial investors with no remorse. That's just part of crowdfunding game development I guess, never enough money to finish, over promising features, bad management of time and funds. They always end up needing more money, and companies like Epic and Deepsilver will always be there to take advantage.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Well then.

Our Lord & Savior Tim has just guaranteed that I'll never Kickstart a game ever again.

Good job, bro. Pour one out for all the titles that never had a chance to be poached by EGS to begin with.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this opinion for a long time but haven't discussed it here, and I'm not trying to be banned or trolling, I just explained my opinion and having 900 users making fun of it shouldn't mean I deserve a ban for it. Everyone is shitting on epic store stuff and I can't have a neutral opinion about it?

You don't have a neutral opinion about it, though. You're either feigning ignorance or just that ignorant of the situation - neither of which is a position you should be proud of. And if you supposedly did actually hold that opinion and saw the dozens of other threads on the subject in order to stay informed of the whole issue, surely you would have seen the massive staff posts which say not to repeat the exact same things you've been repeating because it is disingenuous.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The game is the same, be it on steam, gog or Epic Store, and if you have a pc that can run the game, you're free to go.

People have been answering all your questions for months now on basically every single threads regarding EGS.

-Steam is not a monopoly
-The game is not the same across different platform since some features are platform specific

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
They do in fact owe you shit because kickstarters are legally obliged to deliver the rewards they promised on their kickstarter page, regardless of that, "they don't owe you shit" is a whack ass response.

Why should one ever even think about "donating" to devs if "they don't owe us shit" is the response one will be getting?
Kickstarter would have died in 2010 if "we don't owe you shit" is something developers would have pulled on a platform entirely dependent on trust and goodwill.

Then what are you complaining about? You'll get a refund if the game goes Epic exclusive, which is written into the Kickstarter TOS.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this opinion for a long time but haven't discussed it here before, and I'm not trying to be banned or trolling, I just explained my opinion and having 900 users making fun of it shouldn't mean I deserve a ban for it. Everyone is shitting on epic store stuff and I can't have a neutral opinion about it?

You aren't neutral and you are ignorant on the issue

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Continued history of trolling and not posting in good faith
You don't have a neutral opinion about it, though. You're either feigning ignorance or just that ignorant of the situation - neither of which is a position you should be proud of.
it'd still be sad if sharing my opinion is "bannable" and "shameful" while insulting epic games people for buying exclusives (the oldest trick in the industry) is normal behaviour