• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Did you fall on you head in the last 20 mins or did you not already have this conversation? You literally quoted that post and changed your argument, and now you are going back to asset flips are automaticaly bad and thus need to be curated against?

Okay, so some asset flips are good, some asset flips are bad. It's up to the storefront owner to regulate content as they see fit as it is a private space.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and a History of Similar Behavior; Numerous Accumulated Infractions
Exactly. That's the reason why many people don't like how Epic is pulling dozens of games away from every other storefront than their own.

Steam is more than a storefront. It's an ecosystem, just like Xbox Live and PSN.

I'll go along with that. However, unlike those other ecosystems, that require you to buy new hardware (a Xbox, a PS4) if you want games that are exclusive to them, all this requires is you download the Epic storefront for free and create a free account on the ACTUAL platform, Windows.

Not a big deal. Stop crying people. You are PC gamers, you should be used to jumping through hoops with video card drivers, etc. to get your game on.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny to call asset flips bad in a topic about EGS when they also sell UE4 assets for everyone to use (and some are free libraries!).

Reusing assets does not make a game bad, it helps people that do not have those abilities to create a game as they want. That other people abuse the asset flipping to make shoverlware doesnt mean that all asset flips are shovelware.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest that is good that they are opening up to Asia market with this initial step.

Now just don't fuck it up by classifying South Korea as developing country and mark up game costs with fee transferring like they are doing in EU.

The majority of Asia use direct cash transfers to buy their games...which is much more expensive then standard ways that Epic wants to sell games.

Its not suprising that Asia is basically the last to get open for business for Epic.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
again, if you ignore the full list of new releases on steam and simply follow curators you trust then you get that same exact experience. why would you then want to restrict what everyone else can see?
I may be in the minority on this, but I dont think the comunity should be doing work valve should be doing themselves. it shouldnt be other peoples job to enforce a floor for them.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so some asset flips are good, some asset flips are bad. It's up to the storefront owner to regulate content as they see fit as it is a private space.

So we are back to square one, what is the line for curation? And why do those games that get denied dont deserve a chance to sell their game if they dont have anything objectionable in them?

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go along with that. However, unlike those other ecosystems, that require you to buy new hardware (a Xbox, a PS4) if you want games that are exclusive to them, all this requires is you download the Epic storefront for free and create a free account on the ACTUAL platform, Windows.

Not a big deal. Stop crying people. You are PC gamers, you should be used to jumping through hoops with video card drivers, etc. to get your game on.
What if the user is playing on Linux?

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the side of the devs who are getting a fairer share. The game shortcuts on my desktop are the same number of clicks regardless of the launcher, and it doesn't affect my enjoyment whatsoever.

With an unsustainable cut that leaves them to fend for their own for all marketing and discoverability costs? With a company that deals behind the developer's back with their publishers?

Also, steam keys.

Bonus points for "just another launcher"

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
With an unsustainable cut that leaves them to fend for their own for all marketing and discoverability costs? With a company that deals behind the developer's back with their publishers?

Also, steam keys.

Bonus points for "just another launcher"
12% may be sustainable, its they buying exclusives that may not be.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Rape day was never "allowed" on the store. It's the same how I can post a three-page ##CENSORED## fanfic with hand-drawn illustrations here if I wanted to, but it'll last only as long as it takes for someone to hit the Report button.

And asset-flips can be genuinely good games. See: Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy. The entire point of an open store is letting the Sturgeon's Law have its way - you won't have the 10% worth dying for if you don't let the 90% of crap in along with it, and the only way to tell which is which is letting them sell and accumulate reviews.

The information from the game was published inside Steam. Steam is a storefront.

I understand that there are good asset flip games. But I also think it's up to each store to determine if the title is worth selling.

Oct 31, 2017
I've seen numerous Forum posts on the EGS official channel(s) that indicate that, if Epic Games bans you from one game, they ban your entire account.

That, on top of a 3-5 week response time for communication on your bans pushes me to an - absolutely not - on that service.

For Steam: get banned on a game - you're banned on that game, and potentially other Multiplayer games that support VAC.

For Epic Games Store: get banned on a game - lose your entire account and have to do asinine recovery methods ("what is the IP you registered your Epic Games account under, etc.) no thank you!!

You are a Fortnite launcher and the claimer of Free Games you offer; nothing more.

I do not want my entire account banned - erroneously or not - if I have an issue with one game.
I do not hack or cheat, but the principle exists enough already to frighten me from investing in this storefront.
No, thank you

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may be in the minority on this, but I dont think the comunity should be doing work valve should be doing themselves. it shouldnt be other peoples job to enforce a floor for them.
ok, let me make this as simple as i can

in a curated storefront there will always be games that i think should be sold and you do not. why do your tastes get to determine what i can buy and play?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Does valve share your tastes? Do you want a corporation telling you what you should and shouldn't be enjoying?

There is a baseline for moderation which we should expect Valve to do, but after that just follow people with similar tastes.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Does valve share your tastes? Do you want a corporation telling you what you should and shouldn't be enjoying?

There is a baseline for moderation which we should expect Valve to do, but after that just follow people with similar tastes.
any floor is going to be arbitrary, but to me that isnt a good argument for not having a floor at all.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The majority of Asia use direct cash transfers to buy their games...which is much more expensive then standard ways that Epic wants to sell games.

Its not suprising that Asia is basically the last to get open for business for Epic.

Oh I totally expect games to have plenty hidden fees on EGS in South Korea thanks to them favoring payment methods like direct cash transfers etc.

12% may be sustainable, its they buying exclusives that may not be.

We know for the fact that 12% isn't sustainable. It's why Epic for e.g. transfers payment method fees onto customer in "developing regions" like European Union.

Well if you think it like "Well when you don't provide services and just push them as additional costs to customer then 12% is plenty" then 12% is sustainable. Games just start to come with hidden fees on top of sticker price.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I totally expect games to have plenty hidden fees on EGS in South Korea thanks to them favoring payment methods like direct cash transfers etc.

We know for the fact that 12% isn't sustainable. It's why Epic for e.g. transfers payment method fees onto customer in "developing regions" like European Union.

Well if you think it like "Well when you don't provide services and just push them as additional costs to customer then 12% is plenty" then 12% is sustainable. Games just start to come with hidden fees on top of sticker price.
wait wtf how is the EU classified as a developing regions? also are cc/dc fees just higher in the EU?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
wait wtf how is the EU classified as a developing regions? also are cc/dc fees just higher in the EU?
They pass the fees from several methods that are more expensive than their threshold onto their customers. Then they said that was only in developing regions where that was common. However, several payment methods in EU are in the "too expensive" bucket for Epic, including some of the most common ones in Finland.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Then, like people who want to play Xbox or Playstation exclusives, they will have to buy a Windows PC.
... and by the way, what a red herring. Us Linux users are used to not having access to NEARLY the amount of games Windows user have access too. Come on.
Today you can nearly play every single Steam game on Linux, especially new ones. Thanks to the awesome open source community
and of course Valve.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
The information from the game was published inside Steam. Steam is a storefront.
Thus, the change to not show the store page automatically until the game is reviewed. Simple fix.

I understand that there are good asset flip games. But I also think it's up to each store to determine if the title is worth selling.
And Steam determines that any games are worth selling as long as customers are willing to buy them. It's a simple premise, really. Open Platform. Means anyone can get in, and the market sorts out the survivors.
You can see the same thing in effect on Youtube - there are small channels eking out an existence on tiny subscriber bases, so nondescript and bland that you wonder why anyone at all follows them, but evidently they attract some people - so they keep on trucking. If Youtube were to manually curate user channels and decide who gets to be on the platform and who doesn't, most of those would never exist. Instead, people happen upon channels they like and stick with them, allowing the tiny trickles of ad revenue to keep them going - allowing some of them to eventually become the platform's MiniLadds, SovietWombles and the like.

If all dabbling game-makers were required to have all original assets to even try to sell their game, how many of them do you think would succeed?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

You can see list of payment methods available on Epic and which they define as too expensive (read: extra fees as hidden costs until checkout) are highlighted: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about

Most of EU is on the list for hidden fees.

SteamSpy Guy (I suck with names, sorry) said in tweet some time back that such fees only apply to developing countries.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Thus, the change to not show the store page automatically until the game is reviewed. Simple fix.

And Steam determines that any games are worth selling as long as customers are willing to buy them. It's a simple premise, really. Open Platform. Means anyone can get in, and the market sorts out the survivors.
You can see the same thing in effect on Youtube - there are small channels eking out an existence on tiny subscriber bases, so nondescript and bland that you wonder why anyone at all follows them, but evidently they attract some people - so they keep on trucking. If Youtube were to manually curate user channels and decide who gets to be on the platform and who doesn't, most of those would never exist. Instead, people happen upon channels they like and stick with them, allowing the tiny trickles of ad revenue to keep them going - allowing some of them to eventually become the platform's MiniLadds, SovietWombles and the like.

If all dabbling game-makers were required to have all original assets to even try to sell their game, how many of them do you think would succeed?

I get what you are saying, but you have to understand that Steam, Epic, GOG etc are not open platforms. They are private stores, and even Youtube has limits to what they can have in their platform, as bad as it is.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I get what you are saying, but you have to understand that Steam, Epic, GOG etc are not open platforms. They are private stores, and even Youtube has limits to what they can have in their platform, as bad as it is.
Yes and no. Steam and Youtube are different from GOG and Epic (and... I can't actually think of a curated user-video service. There's an Amazon video service of some kind I think.)

You can submit anything onto Steam or Youtube. It will be automatically removed if it violates content guidelines/Terms of Service, and it will live or die by the mercies of the algorithms and the whims of the public. These are the standards of an Open Platform - obey the rules, but you're free to do whatever otherwise. This is similar to most social media - like these here forums except one matter I'll bring up later -, and uses a process called Moderation - post-factum review of content.

You can't submit just anything to GOG or Epic. In order to have anything on those platforms, your content must not only obey the content guidelines and ToS, but also pass some invisible and undefinable "bar" of acceptability, be it one of quality or nature of content that some person responsible for curation finds personal issues with. These are Closed Platform standards - obey the rules and do what we say. This is similar to the rare kinds of social media that engage in "pre-moderation", such as submitting questions into a publicly visible chat for some person to reply to. It's also similar to these forums, in that not just anyone can get in - there are arbitrary and, to me personally, confusing requirements about registration emails.

And, if it were not for a glitch that I found and reported to the ResetERA administration first thing I did after my first log in here, we would not have been having this discussion now - as I would never have been able to register here. :)

Curation is a wonderful thing if you're one of the chosen few, ain't it.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
And some indies are for EGS's current sky high floor.

Same devs also hope that they and their title gets into Promised EGS Land where you get few million of hard cash just for drawing breath.
TBH, Epic is probably going to bias towards developers that publicly praise them. They're already doing a lot to cater to the "eff valve" crowd, and I can see them going to such measures to try and keep that bubble from bursting.

streepmeryl

Mar 4, 2018
in all honesty, stores need to purchase at least 1 exclusive game, that otherwise wouldn't have come to the pc platform, a year, to keep things fresh. It would bolster the platform, be good for pc platform gamers, and would support developers of games by giving them even more sales. I have to give credit to Epic for doing it, as no one else did

not only that, but by doing this, it could enhance the flow for much better games in general.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in all honesty, stores need to purchase at least 1 exclusive game, that otherwise wouldn't have come to the pc platform, a year, to keep things fresh. It would bolster the platform, be good for pc platform gamers, and would support developers of games by giving them even more sales. I have to give credit to Epic for doing it, as no one else did
They did not though. Not even once.

Journey is on steam as well, so I doubt it was an Epic effort bringing it over and QD confirmed that the plan to inflict their games on a new bunch of victims had nothing to do with Epic either.

So I guess we are left with Epic bring Borderlands 3 to PC from... PC. Praise EGS.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
EGS is backed by Tencent

Buying exclusives is extremely sustainable for them
from what I hear tencent is rather hands off, but they dont like losing money, yup I give the buying excusives thing maybe 18 more months at most given some of the numbers going arough. cough cough 100m to ubisoft. like what epic just paid for 4 years worth of ubisoft pc games sales.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. its not crazy to ask for sources. i hated the planed DRM just like everyone else, but the X1 came out in 2013. stop acting like i am asking for something that happened 6 days ago, when its been 6 years.

dude this is form 2012 before the X1 was even annouced at E3. this was pure speculation.

this is about how bad the always online was (bandwidth caps, check in online at least once every 24hr, single use codes, etc) , Kinect wasn't even mentioned.

this is just a video of

like honestly you've linked me 2 articles unrelated to the "face detecting DRM" that you talked about. and 1 from venture beat which was just speculation.

i, to this day hate, DRM in most forms. but don't make shit up if you can't back it up. also when did just asking for a fucking source become a sign of the end times.
You can google it instead of cursing at me, it's not crazy that you're asking for a source its crazy that people don't know this, imo, and also now crazy that you are hurling insults at me for not handfeeding you sources that are to your liking instead of , you know , looking it up. You can believe what you want, the info is out there, I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you about whether or not I'm making things up, especially if you want to try and sweep the rest of the conversation under the rug at the same time. "Always online DRM and GameStop exclusive trading is ok but their face detecting patents were never truly implemented don't make shit up!" Yeah none of their stupid, awful, policies ended up being implemented. What console and new version of Kinect do you think they were working on? Why do you think the Kinect had to be always connected? Lol you're right must have been for some other next gen Xbox after the 360.

and I'd say me saying "God were doomed aren't we" is not nearly as exasperated and over the top as you unironically stating that I'm "fucking making shit up" while admittedly not even looking it up yourself and declaring "end times" over this simple convo but hey ok. Btw the video is dumb but a historical landmark of Kotaku reporting on the events that happened. If you wanna say it's just a video of ninjas getting handjobs and nothing else matters then chalk that one up along with "ignoring all other deplorable DRM policies to downplay face detection" to the list of things that make it seem like you aren't actually trying to genuinely ask about anything

You're talking about the Xbox One, not the Xbox One X, which came out in 2017.
Oh yeah my bad, mixed that up.

streepmeryl

Mar 4, 2018
They did not though. Not even once.

Journey is on steam as well, so I doubt it was an Epic effort bringing it over and QD confirmed that the plan to inflict their games on a new bunch of victims had nothing to do with Epic either.
but, a "year" exclusivity says something different, as it literally means that it's epic, and only epic, and then others after a while

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I don't mind the idea of Epic Games Store existing as a competitor to Steam. Competition is good! What I don't like is how the Epic Games Store was launched with none of the features that are common in most other storefronts. I mean who launches an online store without a shopping card, wishlist, or reviews in 2019?

Epic has released a roadmap of what's to come but most of the features on said roadmap should've been their when the store first launched. For whatever reason they rushed to launch their store so they could advertise it during the Game Awards. Now Epic is trying the Sony-route of buying timed 3rd party exclusivity. And on a platform that historically adores openness. Epic should've seen the rage coming a miles away. I'm not sure how they can every recover from the poor PR.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
To me the bad pr is just noise, i dont really think there is any basis for some sort of concerted boycott against egs.

The thing i like most about this egs stuff was that report of this indie developer that i forget talking about how their exclusivity deal would "keep them in the black", even if they had to refund all their pre-purchases. I think thats incredible, good on epic for showing up for these ppl. I cant imagine what relief it was for them