• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Your direct quote does not contradict the paraphrase. Meaning both statements are likely true. He thinks politics shouldn't be dragged into gaming " "there's no reason to drag divisive topics...into gaming at all." " But then clarifies that hes referring to gaming companies and that creators should include whatever politics in their games they wish too. " Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

These statements are not contradictory.

They're completely contradictory, unless political games are relegated to non-commercial endeavors. How are you supposed to market a game with a political message without "pushing politics?" Bear in mind that even releasing a trailer violates Tim's principle unless the trailer is specifically cut to excise the game's themes and message (and, for a lot of gamers' definition of "politics", any non-straight-white-male characters). The only real out is to say that political games just shouldn't be marketed, which I don't think is defensible either.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
"Don't be political!" he shouts at those not eating at a particular fast-food chain. He continues, very sanely, "It's unfortunate that you have views that contribute to purchase decisions in your life."

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
So a company can write gay characters but shouldn't pubically support gay marriage.

is that what are you and Tim are supporting? Because that what this will end up with
Uh when did I say I supported that? I even said multiple times in the thread I think companies should be able to take political stances. I was just arguing that Tim wasn't saying that creatives can't put politics in there games.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Your direct quote does not contradict the paraphrase. Meaning both statements are likely true. He thinks politics shouldn't be dragged into gaming " "there's no reason to drag divisive topics...into gaming at all." " But then clarifies that hes referring to gaming companies and that creators should include whatever politics in their games they wish too. " Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

These statements are not contradictory.

If Chik fil a had just been a fast food place and nothing else, Didn't promote homophobia, didn't donate to anti-LGBT causes etc Liberals/Leftists would still eat at chik fil a. But Chik fil a had to be *shit* and do those things and get involved in things that aren't just making chicken. Sweeny is saying that game companies themselves just need to be game companies, Let video game developers make whatever stories and politics they want to make.

So then gaming devs can be as divisive as they want but marketing should hide that divisiveness?
That's how it sounds to me and I think it's wrong (for consumers anyway) just as I think this guy just wants a better deal from google and could care less about gamer freedom and rights.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If he wants to make apolitical games that is his decision, but it's pretty political to tell others not to be political. If you want to be apolitical, you don't bring them up at all.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
They're completely contradictory, unless political games are relegated to non-commercial endeavors. How are you supposed to market a game with a political message without "pushing politics?" Bear in mind that even releasing a trailer violates Tim's principle unless the trailer is specifically cut to excise the game's themes and message (and, for a lot of gamers' definition of "politics", any non-straight-white-male characters). The only real out is to say that political games just shouldn't be marketed, which I don't think is defensible either.
I think you are absolutely right. I just don't think Tim sees it that way. Or perhaps hes wanting to have his cake and eat it too.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
So then gaming devs can be as divisive as they want but marketing should hide that divisiveness?
That's how it sounds to me and I think it's wrong (for consumers anyway) just as I think this guy just wants a better deal from google and could care less about gamer freedom and rights.
I think hes saying that developers can be divisive and political with their art, but the company themselves shouldn't take public stances on political issues. Personally I like when companies take sides, then I know whether or not that company culture harbors bad politics (like chik fil a)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't agree with his execution but I agree with the sentiment. I don't always want politics in all my gaming or entertainment. We live that shit all day every day everywhere. Sometimes I just want to escape from it all for a few hours. I don't want mine or anyone else's political views forced on people that are just looking to blow off some steam after a long hard day.

I'm not saying politics should be completely excluded from gaming or other forms of entertainment. If someone wants to make something with a specific political message or point of view that's fine. More power to you. But there's nothing wrong with wanting some apolitical fun.

What even is this?

"I don't agree with his execution but I agree with the sentiment. I don't always want sports in all my gaming or entertainment. We live that shit all day every day everywhere. Sometimes I just want to escape from it all for a few hours. I don't want mine or anyone else's genre preferences forced on people that are just looking to blow off some steam after a long hard day.

I'm not saying sports should be completely excluded from gaming or other forms of entertainment. If someone wants to make a game about a particular sport that's fine. More power to you. But there's nothing wrong with wanting some non-sports games."

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
But doesn't make any sense.

"The game can be political, but you cant use those political points in marketing"

its trying to have your cake and eat it too
Nah I get it, if it's a part of the story or a part of the key narrative of the game or represents those creating it or their ideas then it's great and encouraged but if the marketing team is just like "put in a girl or a gay guy to score some points with the woman rights activists or lgbtq community" then it's wrong and is just taking advantage of the current political climate.

Basically it needs to be genuine. But I stilldon't fully feel Sweeney is 100% right herebut in this one example I agree

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I get it, if it's a part of the story or a part of the key narrative of the game or represents those creating it or their ideas then it's great and encouraged but if the marketing team is just like "put in a girl or a gay guy to be in points with the woman rights activists or lgbtq community" then it's wrong and is just taking advantage of the current political climate.

Basically it needs to be genuine. But I stilldon't fully feel Sweeney is 100% right herebut in this one example I agree
How would you ever determine this? Plus this standard would so clearly be used to punish games with women and minority representation, regardless of why it's there.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I get it, if it's a part of the story or a part of the key narrative of the game or represents those creating it or their ideas then it's great and encouraged but if the marketing team is just like "put in a girl or a gay guy to be in points with the woman rights activists or lgbtq community" then it's wrong and is just taking advantage of the current political climate.

This just leads to people claiming that "girls and gay guys" in gaming are for points and not actually what the developers intended.

Basically its alt right fuel.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Reminder: Being apolitical IS being political.

You don't get to ignore GamerGaters; call out toxic people and communities, hope that doesn't make Tim Sweeney cry. Our facts don't care about his feelings of civility.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part of people saying "keep politics out of my games" is when they later say their most anticipated game is Cyberpunk 2077 or The Last of Us II.

Clearly the pinnacle of apolitical.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
100% of people who think politics has no place in fiction will at some point compare something to nineteen eighty four without a hint of irony

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
At a time where Parasite, Irishman, and Uncut Gems are bonafide major hits yeah gaming should decide to be less political unlike every other medium.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Bring back those classic apolitical games that people know and love, like Deus Ex

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Politics play a hilariously large part in inform and structuring people's world views. Such statements about divorcing from politics have never made any sense once you apply even a modicum of thought towards it.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
more like tim WEENIE

More seriously, I put as much thought into that as Tim clearly did into what we he would call his take.

The only games without politics are very basic puzzlers.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Uh when did I say I supported that? I even said multiple times in the thread I think companies should be able to take political stances. I was just arguing that Tim wasn't saying that creatives can't put politics in there games.

it doesn't matter if that is what you support or not.

That is the type of logic that Sweeney is supporting.

And his main example isn't even about marketing. Chi k-flia does not advertise or market about its anti-LGBT funding, it does that privately, the consumer backlash is when consumer found out about it and reacted accordingly.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder: Being apolitical IS being political.

This statement means nothing though. If everything is political then political is just a state of being and thus defacto not an important characteristic. It's like how we cannot have a conversation about how video games are made of bits, that's just what they are. We either need specificity (what arrangement of bits) or something to contrast against (analogue games). A narrower definition is more useful.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
His weird opinions aside, this just seems like a terrible keynote presentation, especially as you are there representing other (industry) people than yourself.

I think one possible take-away here is that Epic Games are changing from a publishing company that dabbles in development to a platform. More responsibility comes with that, and it's that kind of responsibility that Sweeney is trying to reject before people realize that Epic Games are becoming Valve who control not just hugely influential games where community moderation is central, but also a distribution platform with a community attached to it that similarly has to be held to certain standards.

Hopefully he at least is smart enough to not add community reviews of games, or it's going to be Valve's laissez-faire approach to review bombing of certain games all over again.

And that's without considering the implications of the Unreal Engine developer pipeline that's currently eating Unity's lunch by the look of it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This fuckin guy is so high on his own brand that he has zero self-awareness.

One of the principles that Sweeney argued for was that "gamers should be free to engage in any game with their friends anyplace they want without any unnecessary friction." He said that the platforms have been too balkanized [...]

Gamers and game vendors should be "free of lockdown."

"Undue power has accrued to participants in the supply chain who are not at the core of the industry," said Sweeney.

Sweeney said one of the bad ideas of games is the notion that a company needs to "own the customer."

My brain had a bluescreen like crash reading this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I totally get what you mean but this prompt opens the doors for some funny answers. Try doing the politics of Pong or Tetris!

Pong is a commentary on the evils on capitalism and how there can be no winners without losers. Endlessly toiling way in a pointless back and forth for the sake of invented measures of success. And Tetris of course has an anti-Soviet undercurrent with its theme of stopping walls from being built up. Obviously.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Pong is a commentary on the evils on capitalism and how there can be no winners without losers. Endlessly toiling way in a pointless back and forth for the sake of invented measures of success. And Tetris of course has an anti-Soviet undercurrent with its theme of stopping walls from being built up. Obviously.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

isn't having such a stance inherently not divorcing your company from politics?