• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I think we're seeing a lot of controversy around political censorship of social media, pressure from foreign countries on domestic companies about discourse, and to get through that, we as companies need to divorce ourselves from politics and say that that is for individuals to engage in," Sweeney says. "And we as platforms should be neutral."

The word "politics" can get pretty vague; it can range from the inclusion of political discussion within the narrative of a game to the actions of companies outside and around them. After Hearthstone player Blitzchung was suspended by Blizzard Entertainment for supporting the Hong Kong protests on-air, Epic and Sweeney actually commented on the matter; a spokesperson told The Verge that Epic "wouldn't ban or punish a Fortnite player or content creator for speaking on those topics." Sweeney reaffirmed in a tweet that it would "never happen" under his watch.

Sweeney's discussion of "politics" seems to err more toward in-game political discussion. During his keynote, he referenced Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird and the impact it had on people's views at the time. "I think that's a genuine outlook for games to really make people think about things," Sweeney says. He goes on to say that we should "get the marketing departments out of politics."

But in later comments, Sweeney referenced boycotts of fast-food chicken restaraunts. "There's no reason to drag divisive topics like that into gaming at all," Sweeney says, going on to state that "we have to respect" personal opinions.

US Gamer seems to have a complete picture of the keynote.

www.usgamer.net

Epic's Tim Sweeney Says Game Companies Need to "Divorce" Themselves From Politics [Update]

Update [5:46 p.m. ET]: Sweeney took to Twitter to expand on his talk at DICE Summit 2020. "If a game tackles politics, …

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
When did I say that? I think I said that a direct quote probably trumps a paraphrase.
Your direct quote does not contradict the paraphrase. Meaning both statements are likely true. He thinks politics shouldn't be dragged into gaming " "there's no reason to drag divisive topics...into gaming at all." " But then clarifies that hes referring to gaming companies and that creators should include whatever politics in their games they wish too. " Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

These statements are not contradictory.

He may have said that but he also said politics that cause people to avoid a restaurant dont belong in games so he seems to be contridicting himself.
I never played a game that had politics in it that got in my way of my enjoyment of said game, but as a principle if someone makes a game with really shitty politics I think consumers shouldn't be mislead by marketing.
If Chik fil a had just been a fast food place and nothing else, Didn't promote homophobia, didn't donate to anti-LGBT causes etc Liberals/Leftists would still eat at chik fil a. But Chik fil a had to be *shit* and do those things and get involved in things that aren't just making chicken. Sweeny is saying that game companies themselves just need to be game companies, Let video game developers make whatever stories and politics they want to make.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your direct quote does not contradict the paraphrase. Meaning both statements are likely true. He thinks politics shouldn't be dragged into gaming " "there's no reason to drag divisive topics...into gaming at all." " But then clarifies that hes referring to gaming companies and that creators should include whatever politics in their games they wish too. " Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

These statements are not contradictory.

If Chik fil a had just been a fast food place and nothing else, Didn't promote homophobia, didn't donate to anti-LGBT causes etc Liberals/Leftists would still eat at chik fil a. But Chik fil a had to be *shit* and do those things and get involved in things that aren't just making chicken. Sweeny is saying that game companies themselves just need to be game companies, Let video game developers make whatever stories and politics they want to make.

Both statements are true. He started out saying marketing departements should stay out of politics, but then expanded that to say that there's no reason to drag politics into gaming at all.

Sweeney's discussion of "politics" seems to err more toward in-game political discussion. During his keynote, he referenced Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird and the impact it had on people's views at the time. "I think that's a genuine outlook for games to really make people think about things," Sweeney says. He goes on to say that we should "get the marketing departments out of politics."

But in later comments, Sweeney referenced boycotts of fast-food chicken restaraunts. "There's no reason to drag divisive topics like that into gaming at all," Sweeney says, going on to state that "we have to respect" personal opinions.

so you tell me if his definitive statement in the end still allows his previous statement to be true, because it doesn't.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Are all billionaires idiots? Or is it just the ones that open their mouths publicly?

It's all too easy to conclude that we live in a just and fair meritocracy when you've been overwhelmingly rewarded for your contributions. It takes a whole different skill set to recognize how systemic bias works against people who don't share your own lived experience.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
One only ever wishes to 'divorce from politics' when one has a viewpoint or opinion they wish to hide.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as he starts mentioning "politics" he was already on some bullshit, but "gamer's rights"? That put it a whole other level of cringe.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
When people like this say "don't bring politics into gaming" they don't mean "game devs shouldn't put lgbt/economic/social politics into gaming" because that would be against their capital interests, what they're really saying is "don't criticize us when game studios/game devs/gamers are being bigots/intolerant/racist/homophobic/anti-human rights". The keywords there are "don't criticize us", because that's what really hurts them financially.

Tim knows that difference. I sincerely doubt he's advocating for the former argument, as probably Fortnite uses politics to sell items all the time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37303

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
I don't agree with his execution but I agree with the sentiment. I don't always want politics in all my gaming or entertainment. We live that shit all day every day everywhere. Sometimes I just want to escape from it all for a few hours. I don't want mine or anyone else's political views forced on people that are just looking to blow off some steam after a long hard day.

I'm not saying politics should be completely excluded from gaming or other forms of entertainment. If someone wants to make something with a specific political message or point of view that's fine. More power to you. But there's nothing wrong with wanting some apolitical fun.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
"Please stop caring about things you feel matter and will affect you, those you care about and future generations and buy more stuff on the Epic Game Store please."

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with his execution but I agree with the sentiment. I don't always want politics in all my gaming or entertainment. We live that shit all day every day everywhere. Sometimes I just want to escape from it all for a few hours. I don't want mine or anyone else's political views forced on people that are just looking to blow off some steam after a long hard day.

I'm not saying politics should be completely excluded from gaming or other forms of entertainment. If someone wants to make something with a specific political message or point of view that's fine. More power to you. But there's nothing wrong with wanting some apolitical fun.

And what you consider apolitical is political to others.

So who gets to decide what?

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

To me being apolitical IS a political statement, and not one I agree with.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Both statements are true. He started out saying marketing departements should stay out of politics, but then expanded that to say that there's no reason to drag politics into gaming at all.

so you tell me if his definitive statement in the end still allows his previous statement to be true, because it doesn't.

It is absolutely crystal clear what he said and thank you for comprehending it. I don't why others are trying to equivocate on his behalf.

First Cliffy and now this guy. Man, the majority will really go the distance to throw minorities under the bus to promote the status quo and establish some semblance of "unity" so that they can make a buck from the largest number of potential clients.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
He seems like the type of person who'd scream that games are getting to "PC!!!!" and "it's forced diversity!!!!" by having a gay character in them

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
Another point to bear in mind is that specific example he used is an issue regarding the treatment of homosexuality as a disease. This isn't a conflict behind, say, how to keep the economy strong. It's a conflict around the very existence of a minority group. You can't avoid that; either you're sweeping minorities under the rug or you acknowledge their existence.
I don't remember that controversy quite the same way, but that's not really relevant to the main points I was making about the dissonant stance of everything being political.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Tim is one fucking idiot

politics in games is divorced as it is in film and music ie it's in everything and you can't take it out at all,
"GAMER RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS", worst buzzword this decade already
That fucking quote from him about Chick-Fil-A is some alt right bullshit that Fox News spews on shitheads like Tucker and Hannity does

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

While I honestly can't say for sure about anything since I'm only reading paraphrases from reporters interpretations and not his own words, I will say I'll concede this.

Reading up on some other opinions of his, I wouldn't be surprised if he *was* advocating to take politics out of games. But I guess thats just not clear to me as of right now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How would you even market Wolfenstein without a clip of the player double fisting machine guns and pumping lead into Nazis.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Reading the actual quotes, it's hard not to despise someone in Sweeney's position characterizing individual purchase decisions broadly as the "bad side" of politics.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be able to figure out the whole story until I get home, but Tim just tweeted this. Does this change contradict what he said at the conference or anything?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be able to figure out the whole story until I get home, but Tim just tweeted this. Does this change contradict what he said at the conference or anything?

But doesn't make any sense.

"The game can be political, but you cant use those political points in marketing"

its trying to have your cake and eat it too

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is tremendously stupid.
"Don't get political.", he says, politically.

Visuwell

Jan 22, 2019
Politics is every, whether people like it or not. I tend to stay away for reasons I'd rather not get into but to think games can divorce themselves from that is ridiculous. That being said I completely agree with his Android take it's a lot less open than people generally think.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember that controversy quite the same way, but that's not really relevant to the main points I was making about the dissonant stance of everything being political.
It involved gay marriage - as in, should this minority group has the same rights as everyone - but it also involved Chic-Fil-A's founder donating to a group that supports conversion therapy.

Ultimately, if you feel like laser-focusing on the specific topic of "is everything actually political though" when this thread involves a dismissal of issues revolving around the very existence and basic human rights of a minority groups, it kind of makes me wonder if you aren't missing the forest for the trees here. As politics as being discussed here, the state of being apolitical is just a reframing of the silencing of minorities.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I was really enjoying the little bit of time there where Tim wasn't doing or saying something so unbelievably stupid.

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

This, on the other hand...

Considering the timing I'm going to assume this is a response lol.

...shows why Cory is still so adored.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He's just doing the usual "But why is he gay/black?" thing where political subjects or diverse figures need to "justify" themselves and are only ever seen as cynical brands going woke for money that a lot of these guys do.

It's never good enough, it's always a ploy, a cash grab, a virtue signal.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that for anyone who says shit like this, it's safe to assume that they hold the most nefarious of beliefs.