• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I guess you could say that Sweeney's Dice Keynote was an EPIC fail...

But yeah Tim should really look towards his and his company's actions before commenting on other platforms like Android and calling it a fake platform LOL.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Tim can eat fuckin' shit. What an absolute garbage boy. Is this motherfucker saying its dumb that some people choose not to support Chick-fil-a for donating to anti-LGBTQ organizations instead of you know, calling out Chick-fil-a's wrong doing??? This dude is straight up your typical alt-right piece of shit.

Tim Sweeney can fuck himself.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm just saying people are arguing against things he never said. He doesn't want politics out of games. He actually encourages video game developers to make whatever they want with whatever politics they want. He just doesn't think the company itself needs to promote or discourage particular political opinions.
I love that you're citing a paraphrasing of what he said and ignoring the actual transcription of what he said.

"There's no reason to drag divisive topics like that into gaming at all."

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Man, he really is an idiot.

Android somehow isn't open because it warns its users with a "scary pop-up" that installing apps from unknown sources could be dangerous. Google Play isn't Android, that's why isn't not included in the Android Open Source Project.
He's definitely not salty that Google didn't make an exception for his billionaire ass and make him profit off Google Play for free.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
He isn't saying that at all

"But Sweeney did say that game company marketing departments do not need to engage in politics in the same way. Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

Hes saying video game marketing departments shouldn't promote politics, but that the video game artists should be free to make political art.

How do you propose a marketing department promote Watch Dogs: Legion a game about Brexit without being political?

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, disregard my previous post then. Look, I can't be bothered to actually read the source, lol.

Still, marketing a game like The Division will involve politics regardless.

And still lmao about his Android and iOS comment.
I mean I'm with you, I still disagree with what he said. I just feel like if we are going to shit on him, it should be for things he actually said.

Also the Android and iOS comment is ironic. If Epic Games could be a closed platform he'd certainly do it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I love that you're citing a paraphrasing of what he said and ignoring the actual transcription of what he said.

"There's no reason to drag divisive topics like that into gaming at all."
I mean I didn't do that at all. I literally quote what he said.

" But Sweeney did say that game company marketing departments do not need to engage in politics in the same way. Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say."

He explicitly says he wants creative developers to make what they want.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Define "politics." I'm not sure which games he's getting mad about but most games still are very apolitical. I can't really name popular ones that aren't also silly.

From the IGN article:

"The world is really screwed up right now. Right now our political orientations determine which fast-food chicken restaurant you go to [alluding to Chik Fil-A's political affiliations and the cultural response to it]? And that's really dumb," said Sweeney. "There's no reason to drag divisive topics like that into gaming at all."

He argued that a company or business should be "operating as neutral venues for entertainment and employees, customers — everybody else can hold their own views and not be judged by us for that."

"A company is a group of people who get together to accomplish a mission that is larger than what any one person can do. And a company's mission is a holy thing to it, right? Epic's mission is to build great technology and great games. And we can count on every employee at Epic — we can even demand every employee at Epic unite behind that mission. But every other matter we have to respect their personal opinions. And they may differ from management's or each other's or whatever."

Sweeney then referenced "controversy around political censorship" from foreign countries on domestic companies — likely referencing the controversy around Hong Kong-based player Blitzchung's statement speaking in favor of the pro-democracy movement in the region. Sweeney says a solution to preventing similar incidents is to get companies to "divorce themselves from politics."

Although, Blizzard's attempt to divorce themselves from politics by insisting that its punishment of Blitzchung was apolitical only further flamed criticism of the company.

Does that help you to understand what the brand of "politics" he is on about?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming Rights and Gamer Freedom, huh?

I wonder what a GAMER'S BILL OF RIGHTS would look like. Ace Watkins needs to get right on this.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I mean I didn't do that at all. I literally quote what he said.

" But Sweeney did say that game company marketing departments do not need to engage in politics in the same way. Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say."

He explicitly says he wants creative developers to make what they want.

That is not a direct quote. That's paraphrasing. Pretty much all the direct quotes, using quotation marks, are him calling for politics to be taken out of gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Name me an apolitical game and I'll explain how it's still proporting a political viewpoint.

That's why you need to define "politics." Otherwise, it's so overly broad that it can mean anything. For example when people say "everything is political" which is an objectively worthless statement on the order of "everything is reality" or "games are things." Generally when using a direct version of "political" we're talking about cultural structures, particularly the critique of such and we have some of that like Metal Gear or Bioshock, or even tongue-in-cheek interpretations of Mushroom Kingdom Monarchies and Economics but these are also pretty absurd takes even when taken as specifically directed that way. Furthermore, the real meat, the gameplay, is completely divorced from the conceit, you're singularly trying to succeed at the game which is at odds with any message (I heard gamers are pro-murder). Like I don't even see how an intelligent person derives a political message, then takes it seriously and then upsets themselves over it.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017

"But Sweeney did say that game company marketing departments do not need to engage in politics in the same way. Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

Hes saying video game marketing departments shouldn't promote politics, but that the video game artists should be free to make political art.

Firs

Doesnt he use chick fil-a as an example of why we shouldn't allow politics to sway us from choices and then says politics like that should stay out of games.

Even if he just means marketing I dont agree with him. If a game has politics I dont agree with, I dont want to be misled by the marketing team. Maybe thata bad for making more money but it's not good for the consumer.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Look, the least I can do is not eat at Chick-fil-a for food, and now not buy (or even free games) from Epic for games

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
"Sweeney said that marketing departments can stay out of politics, but the creative people should be free to say what they want to say. "

Cmon bruh

You can repeat that until the polar ice caps are completely melted, ignoring what else he said is disingenuous.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Firs

Doesnt he use chick fil-a as an example of why we shouldn't allow politics to sway us from choices and then says politics like that should stay out of games.

Even if he just means marketing I dont agree with him. If a game has politics I dont agree with, I dont want to be misled by the marketing team. Maybe thata bad for making more money but it's not good for the consumer.
I mean I'm down. If you think its bullshit thats fine. I'm just saying if we are going to shit on him we should shit on him for what he actually means. He said so himself he wants creators to put whatever politics in games that they want. But that business should not be taking stances about politics. Let the creatives make their games. Their job is to promote those games. Thats it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This fuckin guy is so high on his own brand that he has zero self-awareness.

One of the principles that Sweeney argued for was that "gamers should be free to engage in any game with their friends anyplace they want without any unnecessary friction." He said that the platforms have been too balkanized [...]

Gamers and game vendors should be "free of lockdown."

"Undue power has accrued to participants in the supply chain who are not at the core of the industry," said Sweeney.

Sweeney said one of the bad ideas of games is the notion that a company needs to "own the customer."

Oct 24, 2019
Politics is in everything. Literally everything. Something as simple as deciding which place you buy your morning coffee can have political ramifications.

Not to mention that art in general is intimately tied to personal expression, and therefore personal/political beliefs.

To say games should be completely devoid of politics is pathetically naive.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
You can repeat that until the polar ice caps are completely melted, ignoring what else he said is disingenuous.
Sort've like your doing RIGHT.NOW. Completely ignoring that he has no issues with politics in actual video games. Only that he doesn't want companies themselves making political statements.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The same guy behing Epic Game Store wants to advocate against monopoly?

This dude is a joke

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

venturebeat.com

Tim Sweeney: Android is a fake open system, and iOS is worse

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, called on the game industry to be more open and liberate it from the monopolistic practices of platform owners

www.ign.com

Epic Games Boss Says All Politics Should Be Removed From Game Companies [Update] - IGN

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney has argued to keep politics out of gaming altogether and keep game companies "neutral" avenues where developers can sell games.

Thats also the same guy, that, after Alex Jones was banned from Twitter, that companies should not decide such things (something like that).

How the fuck do you say 'Lootboxes are gambling' and 'no politics in my games >:c' back to back. What kind of doublethink

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
Because things that aren't trying to present themselves as communicate a message still communicate messages.

Mario games where the boy saves the girl, especially once you have multiple of them with that same setup, are showcasing gender roles.

Simcity games where nuclear reactors melt down and industrial zones are a vital component of cities are promoting fear of cleaner energy sources and the shift to a service economy.

Fitness games are promoting the role of health within our lifestyles.
Because everything is political unless you're uniformed. Was Switzerland neutral against Hitler? You either stand up to evil or you support it. And the world hasn't had this much evil in it since the Hitler took office. There's no room for neutrality on today's issues. It's a fake stance to hide what you really believe.
But that's a completely different context. I think there's a big difference between discussing contemporary/governmental politics and policies and the idea of every action being somehow political. We can have a discussion about the former, and agree or disagree; but to dismiss that discussion from the position of the latter seems disingenuous at best. If you dilute the definition of politics in this context to the degree that literally any action can relate to it, then it loses all meaning. I sincerely doubt that's the position being argued, and therefore, I find the dismissal to be inadequate. My two cents.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
He wants regulation of lootboxes but no politics? Huh?! So he's just picking and choosing what sort of politics then.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm quoting him directly and you're quoting paraphrasing

I wonder which one wins in the accuracy department.
Yeah Im sure the paraphrasing in the article is just the website making it up and that he didn't say that at all. Or maybe he did say that exact same thing the article said he did and theres not point in quoting every single word he said in the article

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
But that's a completely different context. I think there's a big difference between discussing contemporary/governmental politics and policies and the idea of every action being somehow political. We can have a discussion about the former, and agree or disagree; but to dismiss that discussion from the position of the latter seems disingenuous at best. If you dilute the definition of politics in this context to the degree that literally any action can relate to it, then it loses all meaning. I sincerely doubt that's the position being argued, and therefore, I find the dismissal to be inadequate. My two cents.
Another point to bear in mind is that specific example he used is an issue regarding the treatment of homosexuality as a disease. This isn't a conflict behind, say, how to keep the economy strong. It's a conflict around the very existence of a minority group. You can't avoid that; either you're sweeping minorities under the rug or you acknowledge their existence.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is not surprising from someone who also argued against Twitter over the banning of Alex Jones. He is clearly a libertarian (as many of the big people in the scene where he started in the industry), as that kind of work attracted a ton of people with that ideology. In the end, you should never trust most rich people and even less rich videogame developers from that era.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels bad knowing that Tim is getting paid every time I buy something with Unreal Engine in it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Sort've like your doing RIGHT.NOW. Completely ignoring that he has no issues with politics in actual video games. Only that he doesn't want companies themselves making political statements.

Look back at my posts. Where did I ignore or state anything about his intentions, issues or opinions? I asked your opinion about how to market a game that's entire premise is one of the most polarizing topics in the West in the last 25 years and you answered with the most simplistic view of marketing that I can't possibly take it seriously.

When you choose to only represent his opinions the way you're doing, while ignoring what else he said, say about Chik Fil A, you are being misleading on purpose.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I mean I'm down. If you think its bullshit thats fine. I'm just saying if we are going to shit on him we should shit on him for what he actually means. He said so himself he wants creators to put whatever politics in games that they want. But that business should not be taking stances about politics. Let the creatives make their games. Their job is to promote those games. Thats it.

He may have said that but he also said politics that cause people to avoid a restaurant dont belong in games so he seems to be contridicting himself.
I never played a game that had politics in it that got in my way of my enjoyment of said game, but as a principle if someone makes a game with really shitty politics I think consumers shouldn't be mislead by marketing.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Im sure the paraphrasing in the article is just the website making it up and that he didn't say that at all. Or maybe he did say that exact same thing the article said he did and theres not point in quoting every single word he said in the article

When did I say that? I think I said that a direct quote probably trumps a paraphrase.