• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Absolute BULLSHIT
You cannot "divorce" politics from gaming. It is a part of everyday life and affects many different areas. Why are companies running scared from politics? Don't want to offend a group and lose sales??? I don't get it.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
TlB6pm9.jpg

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people will still believe Tim would protect their rights if they spoke up about say the Hong Kong protests.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

This sort of shit infuriates me. Not everyone is equally distant from every issue. People who aren't in the relevant minority group are free to shrug their shoulders and treat it as an academic issue, but for people who are in the group, they're dealing with issues that affect their own lives.

Statement like this basically treat everyone who isn't a straight cisgender white person as a fictional character. And people will say it to your face when you're talking about your own experiences.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
oh no.

Well... Unity is a good engine too? Seems to work with houdini better. Been wanting to try it out. This sorta pushes it.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this sentence is just another Tim Sweeney 180. The same guy who's saying that there shouldn't be walled gardens is having a close store which moneyhat games. And you know what's even more rich ?
The man saying "We shouldn't have politics" is the same man who was whining because Alex Jones was banned from Twitter. :)
Fucking hypocrite, transparent as fuck.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I do actually like the idea of non political games in theory. Sometimes I deal with so much shit that I could do with some escapism that's so alien that it doesn't remind me of people like me being discriminated, about how I have to use my middle name when applying to jobs so that I actually get people to look at it (lol) and stuff like that.

...But unfortunately it's really fucking hard to make apolitical games because nearly everything is political in way or another, especially in story heavy games. Even in a game that doesn't feature humans it can be pretty hard to not make a political statement because writers will generally represent their stances on morality one way or another. So much as I think that sometimes apolitical games would be fun, in any story heavy game it will get pretty hard. (I say story heavy games because, say, I don't really see much politics in Gladiabots). So to me it sounds like an impossible concept to start with, imo.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
Why is it so hard for these people to understand that removing politics from games is political?

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What an absolute fucking idiot. Games without political messages are games with political messages in favor of a status quo.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why he blames the people choosing not to go to a restaurant rather than the owners who use that restaurant as a vehicle for their religious and political ideology for injecting politics into chicken restaurants.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Tim Sweeney is a fake human being and a PoS.

EGS has never received a penny from me, nor will they ever.

I wonder why he blames the people choosing not to go to a restaurant rather than the owners who use that restaurant as a vehicle for their religious and political ideology for injecting politics into chicken restaurants.

Because he's a right-wing asshole and right-wing assholes think their shit don't stink. They think they're the heroes.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He kinda had a point with the mobile platform stuff and also spot on with loot boxes, but holy shit that right turn into gamergate material is cringe as fuck.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Tim Sweeney sounds like Mike Bloomberg trying to explain his taxes to people.

Fuck outta here Tim.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I mean.. I agree.. I would hope a game wouldn't promote or fund awful shit like gay conversion therapy like Chik-Fil-A did forcing politics into my fast food choices...

Surely that's what you mean, right Tim?

(what an idiot)

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't want politics in my games" is shorthand for "I don't care about the artistic aspirations of the medium, just the profit it generates."

Oct 25, 2017
Define "politics." I'm not sure which games he's getting mad about but most games still are very apolitical. I can't really name popular ones that aren't also silly.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's the kicker.

Okay, Tim. You want politics out of your chicken sandwhich place? Fine. Just tell the owners to stop funding organizations that are political. And when I say political, I mean the kind of political that might kill LGBT folks.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Never stops being funny to me when people say companies/devs should distance themselves from politics/be apolitical. Being "apolitical" is still being fucking political, but of course it's doesn't count because you're not being a dirty leftist!! lmao god

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
But what's considered politics? There are people out there who think putting women or LGTBQ people in games is political. Should we consider that political? Fuck that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also Disco Elysium. Easily one of the most apolitical games ever. I get what Tim is saying.